We Need A Real QB

The_Dude

I'm so sick of "Tyrod's not the reason we lost" crap. True, Tyrod has played well enough for us to win games we've lost. But in those games he didn't play well enough to win them. And that's why we will never be good with Tyrod.

Yes, we can beat teams without great QB's like the Texans if everything goes to plan. But when things don't go as planned we don't have a guy who can sling it and win.

I'm watching the Steelers right now. Tyrod is no where near Rothlisberger and he never will be. Tyrod will never be able to out duel Rothlisberger, Brady, Rogers, Brees, Newton, Wilson, and so on...and those are the guys that are always scrapping for the Lombardi.

Tyrod can get us to the playoffs if all things go according to plan. But that's it. We're not winning much else with him.

That is why we don't resign Tyrod, we let him play out next year while the QB we should draft in the 1st or 2nd round sits a year. That HAS to be the plan. If it isn't, then shame on OBD.

Did you know that in his 3rd year in the league, after starting the previous 2 seasons, Roethlisberger threw for 3,500 yards with 18 TD and 23 INTs. After a year like that, I guarantee that you, JoeSixPack, TakeYouToTasker, fridge, and a bunch of the other reactionary clowns on here would have been calling to cut him.

Would it be nice if Taylor had led the Bills to a couple of fourth quarter comeback drives this year? Sure - but if that's the number one concern, then I'll live with it and expect it to improve over the next 2 years. If it doesn't improve, then by all means cut him and go with someone else.

To say that Taylor definitively cannot take the Bills to a Super Bowl after watching the guy play 12 games, when he has been above average at the least, is just ridiculous. Go look at the early years of Wilson, Roethlisberger, and Brady, when they won their first Super Bowls, and tell me that it was all because of the passing game. They got there and won due to great rushing attacks and great defenses. The revisionist history that goes on around here is pathetic.

Edited by DaBills51

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I saw your excuses. That's what they are though, excuses. Certainly doesn't instill any confidence.

The guy has Watkins and McCoy, let's not pretend he's at the helm of the 2006 Bills.

Yes, I know you want Brady, Rothlisberger and Brees. So do we all. Let me know how to get them and I'm on board. Until then, the Bills need to fix other problems. There are maybe 7 franchise QBs in the league. They are not easy to find.

I'd rather Bills take a surer pick of a linebacker or 2, and lineman. That would be a better use of picks.

TT + last year's team = easily a playoff team.

TT + this year's team/coaching = current s$%^show.

Did you know that in his 3rd year in the league, after starting the previous 2 seasons, Roethlisberger threw for 3,500 yards with 18 TD and 23 INTs. After a year like that, I guarantee that you, JoeSixPack, TakeYouToTasker, fridge and a bunch of the other reactionary clowns on here would have been calling to cut him.

Would it be nice if Taylor had led the Bills to a couple of fourth quarter comeback drives this year? Sure - but if that's the number one concern, then I'll live with it and expect it to improve over the next 2 years. If it doesn't improve, then by all means cut him and go with someone else.

To say that Taylor definitively cannot take the Bills to a Super Bowl after watching the guy play 12 games, when he has been above average at the least, is just ridiculous. Go look at the early years of Wilson, Roethlisberger, and Brady, when they won their first Super Bowls, and tell me that it was all because of the passing game. They got there and won due to great rushing attacks and great defenses. The revisionist history that goes on around here is pathetic.

Had Tyrod won the Super Bowl his first year I am positive we would all be much more lenient in his third season.

Enough with the bizarre hypotheticals. The reality is we are upset because the time was now. A lot of our D players are in their prime. This year was awful and Tyrod did little to change the result of multiple games where he had the ball late with the game on the line.

More than likely "The Dude" is correct only because the odd are highly stacked in his favor. Look around the league, many more fail than succeed. I've said it many times, I'd gladly take a bet with all 32 teams that I'd state QB "X" is bad and will be gone in less than 3 years. If I made 32 bets like that one for each team I'd win more than I'd lose.

That's the OP's problem we have a much better chance of replacing TT with an EJ type of talent than an Aaron Rodgers simply bast on league history.

Yes, I know you want Brady, Rothlisberger and Brees. So do we all. Let me know how to get them and I'm on board. Until then, the Bills need to fix other problems. There are maybe 7 franchise QBs in the league. They are not easy to find.

I'd rather Bills take a surer pick of a linebacker or 2, and lineman. That would be a better use of picks.

TT + last year's team = easily a playoff team.

TT + this year's team/coaching = current s$%^show.

I disagree last year's team had a rookie Watkins and no Clay or Shady or Incognito. Say what you want but TT himself isn't the reason for the better offense this year, I think it comes down to better coaching (see Roman vs Hackett) and better talent. TT has some weakness in his game and that's why some are calling him out on it. Can he get better? I'm hoping yes but at the same time not going to think foolishly that just because we have him doesn't mean we can't go after an arguably better guy in the draft.

Taking the best available QB in the first round got us EJ

and it could be said that EJ turned out to be the best QB of his draft class, yet thankfully we did the smart thing in trading down to nab him. Yet most draft pundits feel that Goff and Cook are 1st Round talents unlike EJ. I say all this as an EJ supporter too.

Edited by The Jokeman

He's only one of 5 QBs with a rating over 100, he's 5th in yds per att and his 4 to 1 td/int ratio is only bested by Wilson, Brady and Rodgers. Add to that 450 yards rushing and 3 more tds. Not bad for his first year starting.

and yet he struggles making his second read and doesn't do much passing in the middle of the field and struggles sustaining drives and in the redzone. All things that count in winning and losing in the NFL. Tyrod's better than I predicted but he isn't as great as his stats make him out to be,

and yet he struggles making his second read and doesn't do much passing in the middle of the field and struggles sustaining drives and in the redzone. All things that count in winning and losing in the NFL. Tyrod's better than I predicted but he isn't as great as his stats make him out to be,

Things that even the best struggle with early on in their starting careers.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Did you know that in his 3rd year in the league, after starting the previous 2 seasons, Roethlisberger threw for 3,500 yards with 18 TD and 23 INTs. After a year like that, I guarantee that you, JoeSixPack, TakeYouToTasker, fridge, and a bunch of the other reactionary clowns on here would have been calling to cut him.

:thumbsup: I wish there was an applause emoji on here. WELL SAID!

It literally took 2 Super Bowl wins for this board, and most fans in general, to start giving Tom Brady credit. For YEARS he was just "some average dink and dunk QB and anyone could do what he was doing." It was only when it became undeniable and began being referred to as one of the GOAT that he started getting credit.

The Bills have bigger problems. Disgust with Rex is going to keep all our FAs from re-signing. We're going to have to replace Gilmore, Glenn, and Incognito, and no one good will want to come to Buffalo. The 2017 draft is where we should be shooting for. Our defense will be even worse next year, and without an offensive line our expensive talent will be wasted. We'll go 2-14 next year and have a shot at the franchise QB you want.

OR, the Bills could realize the expensive disastrous mistake they made, and fire Ryan NOW. Hire Schwartz as interim HC for the rest of the year. Next year hire another HC and have Roman and Schwartz as coordinators. Suddenly we'll be able keep our FAs and attract others.

The key is, Ryan has to go before he drives away all the talent the Bills have accumulated. It's a lot easier to replace one loudmouth arrogant jerk of a HC than to rebuild a defense like we had in 2014 and 2013.

Bravo. Blame it all on a, in effect, on a rookie quarterback who has little support, a miserable O line, key support players injured much of the year, and the guts few in this league have. Sad.

I get wanting TT to succeed, I did the same thing when RJ was here. I have no problem bringing him back for 2016 but question if we give him big money in 2017.

It has nothing to do with wanting, he's shown enough promise to earn another year easily. The defense, special teams and coaching have let the offense down big time this year. The Offense has score almost 25 points a game which with the talent on the defense should have made this a playoff team with ease. Not to mention how many 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 15 does one have to endure in a season? The offensive line is a penalty machine. As far as money, that can wait until the end of next season.

It has nothing to do with wanting, he's shown enough promise to earn another year easily. The defense, special teams and coaching have let the offense down big time this year. The Offense has score almost 25 points a game which with the talent on the defense should have made this a playoff team with ease. Not to mention how many 2nd and 20 and 3rd and 15 does one have to endure in a season? The offensive line is a penalty machine. As far as money, that can wait until the end of next season.

As of today, out of the top eleven defenses in the NFL (from a PPG perspective), 10 of those teams would be in the playoffs if the season ended today. The only team that wouldn't be is the Jets, and they are right in the hunt. For some reason, people want to keep brushing the defensive letdown this season aside.

I think this could be to three possible reasons:

1) It's much easier to blame the QB. That is, it's easier to blame one player, then to try to figure out what's wrong with a defense that was great one year ago.

2) We've grown so accustomed to just saying - "if only we had a QB" - that most people don't know what else to attack.

3) People don't want accept the fact that our defense may need an overhaul because if that's true, then we're talking about replacing multiple players as opposed to just one (the QB).

I told all of you back in preseason that TT is not the answer. As a long time ACC guy I watched him all through college at VaTech and there is now way he was ever going to be a Top Tier NFL QB. I said it from the start and some of you are coming around. I was hoping that I was wrong but he will not ever be a top NFL QB. We do we go from here ? I would draft two QBs per year until we find one. In the NFL QB is where it starts and ends. How did Rex destroy this team in less than a season. Someone please tell me how he ruined a really good defense into the laughing stock of the NFL. The Jets must be laughing their A---s off!!!

You're super smart and cool!

...that's what you want to hear, right?

The fact that this thread exists just adds to the proof that Bills fans might be the stupidest in the entire league. It's scary. The only logical answer as to why is that this extended playoff drought has made most of you crazy. Unbelievable. :wallbash:

As bad as the bills are I can think of one game when had no chance of winning. In fact if our D was top 5 like last year I think at least half of our loses would be wins.

This is a weird post today where basically the only two players who showed up with any energy or heart where TT and Hughes. TT had no time for most of the game, kept drives alive all on his own, led the team in rushing, he is our own Russel Wilson and that guy won a SB.

He had no time because the skins had 8 in the box on every play. They dared TT to beat them through the air and he failed miserably. He doesn't even seem to be able to read the defense pre snap and get the ball to his hot WR. He's not a good QB. Maybe he can get better and he needs to get a lot better if he wants to continue to be a starting NFL QB.

Let me help you out here. Taylor's had two problems this year: 1) The number of three and outs (you're right there). 2) The lack of game winning drives in the fourth quarter.

Your other two arguments are the same that all of the Tyrod haters on here continually spew, and it's garbage. In regard to struggling to make his second read, Tyrod has a great completion percentage, yards per attempt, and low interception percentage. Basically, if he currently only throws to his first read (which is BS), then he's doing a pretty damn good job of that, so why change it; however, like I said, this argument against Tyrod is a joke.

You don't know who Tyrod is looking at from your couch (as much as you want to believe you do). A QB doesn't need to completely move his head or be moving his feet to be going through some of his reads. Also, if Tyrod was just locking his eyes on one guy constantly, then why has he not thrown more picks this year? Just curious, because usually that's one of the bigger problems when a QB doesn't get off of his first read .That, or they take a sack, which hasn't been a huge issue for Tyrod this year either (currently middle of the pack).

In regard to struggling in the red zone, all I can say is the Bills are currently 15th in TD percentage when in the red zone. Now, that's not great, but it's not something that I would say is a problem for a QB starting for the first time in the NFL.

I think this whole thread is ridiculous!! Of all the things to be pissed about today TT is not one. He has had a great season compared to the dreck qbs we have had in the last decade here. The reason we arent going to the playoffs is really bad defensive coaching. Our D was great now it it sucks with the same personnel. The coaches are to blame. why hasnt the offence been better? once again because of bad playcalling at crucial times. Roman is good but he isnt a genius. Once I saw TRENT DILFER win a SB, I realized ANY QB can win a SB. All you need is Great D and good coaching. TT is 100X better than pick6 Dilfer and fully deserves to be back at no1 next year.

the kid makes some plays, and leaves some out there.. but did anyone think our QB was gonna carry the team this season?

we needed an O that could score some points, and that would get us 3 more wins than last year's team got.. nope.. our Taylor led O held up their end - even with the injuries at the skill positions

Who said we was on Big Bens level?

I've always loved the saying, don't come to me with problems without having a solution.

Get rid of Tyrod, okay. What is your definite solution that can guarantee better results? Rookies are a crap shoot. If it was that easy, we would have done it after Kelly.

Tyrod is the best option we have and the best option out there. I'm all for drafting someone and let the best man win. But you make it sound too simple.

PREACH

the kid makes some plays, and leaves some out there.. but did anyone think our QB was gonna carry the team this season?

we needed an O that could score some points, and that would get us 3 more wins than last year's team got.. nope.. our Taylor led O held up their end - even with the injuries at the skill positions

Agreed. Tyrod is not the reason we are not in the playoffs. Horrible Defense and Special Teams and suspect Offensive play calling at critical situations. Agreed that Tyrod has been a slow starter...(Yesterday he had 27 yards passing in the 1st half). He did not have anyone to throw yesterday besides Watkins. Woods has really regressed and with no TEs, this was going to be a stop the other team kind of game and our D came up woefully short

The D puts us in a 21-0 hole early and it is the QB

2 complete of 8 passes. Have you thought that may be part of the problem? Tyrod has yet to prove he can dig a team out of a hole, he himself helped dig.

12 games has been enough for me to turn sour on him.

I think this whole thread is ridiculous!! Of all the things to be pissed about today TT is not one. He has had a great season compared to the dreck qbs we have had in the last decade here. The reason we arent going to the playoffs is really bad defensive coaching. Our D was great now it it sucks with the same personnel. The coaches are to blame. why hasnt the offence been better? once again because of bad playcalling at crucial times. Roman is good but he isnt a genius. Once I saw TRENT DILFER win a SB, I realized ANY QB can win a SB. All you need is Great D and good coaching. TT is 100X better than pick6 Dilfer and fully deserves to be back at no1 next year.

More on his great statistical performance? The stat that counts is W's and L's. He currently has a 6-6 record and most likely to end 6-8.

Blame the coaches, blame the O Line, blame the play calling, blame the O Line, and don't forget to blame the QB.

Give the kid a line, first of all. Second, I'm still waiting for some crossing routes, quick slants, and other play calling that complement Taylor's ability to deliver short passes with touch. Third, if Chad Kelly declares and he's viewed as 3rd or 4th rounder due to maturity issues and smaller body of SEC work, take the kid in the 2nd for good value.

Agreed. Tyrod is not the reason we are not in the playoffs. Horrible Defense and Special Teams and suspect Offensive play calling at critical situations. Agreed that Tyrod has been a slow starter...(Yesterday he had 27 yards passing in the 1st half). He did not have anyone to throw yesterday besides Watkins. Woods has really regressed and with no TEs, this was going to be a stop the other team kind of game and our D came up woefully short

I liked O'Leary's play yesterday. Tyrod was also in a hole because the line has fallen apart, the play calling sucked, and no, he didn't have his best day. But the kid was far from folding or falling apart. Roman's passing scheme is crazy. Everything's vertical and requires 4-5 seconds to develop. That will tax any line, especially one such as ours that is average at best.

"The kid has a line. No vision is what's killing him. If he is truly as good as his stats indicate the hike the ball and throw the damn thing immediately. Don't wait for the rcvr to get wide open. Hit Sammy on his crossing pattern over the middle and don't wait for him get past the middle before you throw it.

Yes, I may a bit harsh today, but so is the team.

Wilson won a Super Bowl thanks to a great defense and great running game. Yes, he's been great the last 4 weeks but I can't say that prior to this spell has he been what I consider above average. I agree with the sentiment that if a guy like Goff or Cook falls to us on draft day we snatch one of them.

So Russell Wilson isnt that good, according to you, and won a SB bc of a great d and runnin game.

Well, since you think TT isn't that good, it sounds like all we have to do is bring back Schwartz to run the D and draft a few good OL for the right side and we should be in the superbowl!!!

So why do you want to get rid of TT again?!?!?

I'm so sick of "Tyrod's not the reason we lost" crap. True, Tyrod has played well enough for us to win games we've lost. But in those games he didn't play well enough to win them. And that's why we will never be good with Tyrod.

Yes, we can beat teams without great QB's like the Texans if everything goes to plan. But when things don't go as planned we don't have a guy who can sling it and win.

I'm watching the Steelers right now. Tyrod is no where near Rothlisberger and he never will be. Tyrod will never be able to out duel Rothlisberger, Brady, Rogers, Brees, Newton, Wilson, and so on...and those are the guys that are always scrapping for the Lombardi.

Tyrod can get us to the playoffs if all things go according to plan. But that's it. We're not winning much else with him.

That is why we don't resign Tyrod, we let him play out next year while the QB we should draft in the 1st or 2nd round sits a year. That HAS to be the plan. If it isn't, then shame on OBD.

Newton is always scrapping for the Lombardi?

Perhaps every team without the QBs you mentioned should just give up?

After next year, they should just let TT go and start whoever you imagine will be our freshly drafted backup QB? This HAS to be the plan?

He might not be the "answer", but he certainly has played well enough to make the playoffs this year if the defense hadn't played putrid most of the season.

Obviously he is no where near a finished product but I'm baffled at how a guy with a consistently high QB rating that can make plays with his feet, throws a great deep ball and rarely turns the ball over can be viewed as "the problem".

You realize he hasn't even played a full season of games in the NFL yet...

Edited by matter2003

Tyrod has played well enough for us to win games we've lost. But in those games he didn't play well enough to win them. And that's why we will never be good with Tyrod.

He played well enough for us to win when we have lost. But in games he hasnt played well enough to win, we haven't won. And thats why he isnt good...

Thats deep bruh...

The QB class this tear sucks, none rated in top 50 but some if you think there's 3 first rounders! What ranking system are you reading! Keep TT and draft a QB in mid round and develop him! Patients!

Remember when Geno Smith and Ryan Nassib were sure fire franchise QBs? Boy I do. :doh:

He played well enough for us to win when we have lost. But in games he hasnt played well enough to win, we haven't won. And thats why he isnt good...

Thats deep bruh...

Sounds like sh!t you say when you are higher than high on weed that everyone is like "Whoa man...that's deep!!" But then once you are back to reality you realize that it made no sense then and even less now...lmao