Mario Williams?

He rarely gets doubled and usually still can't beat his man. And it's usually not the best pass protector he's going up against either. Guy has all the talent in the world but seems like he lacks any semblance of passion. They should get rid of him and use that money somewhere else. Gilmore, Glenn, Incognito, etc.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest frustration for me regarding Mario is that last night was the biggest game we've had for this team since he's been here. A depleted Patriots team, a huge divisional opponent where a win would put us 4-1 in the division and push this teams confidence to a playoff level, playing in front of the nation on our first MNF game in SIX freaking years against a weak O-line. Everything was lining up to be perfect.

This game was THE reason that we brought on Mario and signed him to the biggest contract ever for a DE at the time. To go impact a meaningful game with playoff implications. Just once.

Bums me out. Him too probably, the guy obviously wants win and I'm sure he hates the Patriots as much as we all do. Maybe Bruce Smith has us all so spoiled, expecting to see a dominant DE performance in the big games. Its frustrating because he seems like he's in such great shape, he's not too old yet, he plays pretty hard, he's probably the most physically gifted big man on the field.

I don't care about sacks. Bat down a pass or even just change a few throws with some qb hurries. Clog a passing lane. He's always been good recognizing screens and pursuing, even this year. We need this dude.

Mario's play that led to TD at end of 1st half reminded me of Stevie's improv against the Chiefs that blew the game. Given Rex's Reaction, in my opinion Mario is gone this offseason. Guy doesn't seem like a Rex all-in type of guy. Give Mario's money to Wilkerson.

Wilkerson is the superior player at this point.

Deers? Deer is both singular and plural so it's just Deer.

I have mixed emotions on Mario. He's an impact player who commands double teams more than anyone else on the line. If you want to get rid of him, then who is better to replace him?

The answer is noone, so we're not moving on from him in any way shape or form.

I have mixed emotions on Mario. He's an impact player who commands double teams more than anyone else on the line. If you want to get rid of him, then who is better to replace him?

At this point, there are a lot of better players who are playing for a lot less. He was a great player, but for whatever reason he is not this year. See above -- according to Football Outsiders, he is the worst starting defensive end in the NFL this season. Take their approach for what it's worth, but at least it's based on an analysis of the evidence. He's not drawing the double teams that people say he is either.

Let's hope he puts it together in the final six games of this year. Through 62.5 percent of this season, though, he's been bad. I say this having been a fan of his. Perhaps he's tired of football - who knows.

If Muhammed Wilkerson is a FA next year, you can bet that the Bills will cut Mario in a NY minute if offered the chance to get Wilkerson (a better player).

Edited by dave mcbride

Completely false.

Ray Lewis (who knows a Rex defense) really laid into Mario last night and blamed him for the late first half TD. Said it was the wrong time for him to improvise on what was a decent play call.

Lewis called it "in and out" coverage. You can see that Mario engages the RT and Robey blitzes inside. Lewis says at that point Mario is supposed to peel off and cover the back out of the backfield, because Graham is covering his zone which is too far away. But Mario wants his and tries to get his, to our detriment. I got no problem letting him go next year, provided the dead money doesn't put us in cap jail hell.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

I find it strange that our star DE would injure his foot and then not come back out to cheer on his team unless it was serious. I was looking and didn't see him. Plus we haven't heard more about his injury.

Some of you guys crave drama. Either it's really serious or he doesn't care about the team? Way to set up drama no matter what the answer.

At this point, there are a lot of better players who are playing for a lot less. He was a great player, but for whatever reason he is not this year. See above -- according to Football Outsiders, he is the worst starting defensive end in the NFL this season. Take their approach for what it's worth, but at least it's based on an analysis of the evidence. He's not drawing the double teams that people say he is either.

Let's hope he puts it together in the final six games of this year. Through 62.5 percent of this season, though, he's been bad. I say this having been a fan of his. Perhaps he's tired of football - who knows.

If Muhammed Wilkerson is a FA next year, you can bet that the Bills will cut Mario in a NY minute if offered the chance to get Wilkerson (a better player).

And that's the rub. Expectations are different for Miario vs Carrington, and Carrington has outplayed him in the last two games, even accounting for the injuries. Mario has been a half step too late on many crucial plays this year. It's not all about schemes, he's simply not beating his man one on one.

Some of you guys crave drama. Either it's really serious or he doesn't care about the team? Way to set up drama no matter what the answer.

Sounds like your the one trying to create drama. I am a Mario fan and want to know what's going on with him. He should be destroying everything in front of him but it ain't happening. Getting tired of waiting for his big breakout game.

Mario is coasting? Okay. People seriously underestimate how much attention he commands.

I think is a combination of how he is used and his frustration of it. There are plays where he destroyed the blockers in front of him and others where he just kind of stands there while a TE blocks him. I have no clue what the play call is or his responsibilities on a given play so I don't know for sure if he is taking plays off or just the scheme but he definitely looks like a different player this year. He jumps to bat passes down and the qb runs around him. He has been taking poor angles. Isn't shedding blocks like he used to. Missing screen reads he normally picks up.

Really? He has more sacks than any DL on the team and that's with him missing he almost the entire Jets' game and a good portion of last night's game. It's a new scheme for all of these guys and they've been somewhat neutralized by QBs getting rid of the ball quickly earlier in the season. They also moved Mario inside in the Miami home game where he commanded extra attention to allow Hughes to go off on the RT Fox.

Mario looked terrible when they moved him inside against miami. He was single blocked and pushed over like Troup used to when he would try to anchor. The second we moved him inside the dolphins marched down the field. Then Mario jumps instead of putting his hands up and(I may be wrong about the td) Miami scores. Edited by Not at the table Karlos

I think is a combination of how he is used and his frustration of it. There are plays where he destroyed the blockers in front of him and others where he just kind of stands there while a TE blocks him. I have no clue what the play call is or his responsibilities on a given play so I don't know for sure if he is taking plays off or just the scheme but he definitely looks like a different player this year. He jumps to bat passes down and the qb runs around him. He has been taking poor angles. Isn't shedding blocks like he used to. Missing screen reads he normally picks up. Mario looked terrible when they moved him inside against miami. He was single blocked and pushed over like Troup used to when he would try to anchor. The second we moved him inside the dolphins marched down the field. Then Mario jumps instead of putting his hands up and(I may be wrong about the td) Miami scores.

Not at the table Karlos...I swear I was going to change my name to that earlier then forgot. Kudos to you sir. Nicely played.

Mario has waffled as he ran the over zone for Scharwtz and now runs the under zone. Chris Carter had it right a few months ago, Mario is not a leader.

He's in his 4th scheme in 4 years here. The dude has been incredibly flexible. He walked away from a 34 to be a very basic 43 DE position and since played under wannstedt, pettine, Schwartz (pretty ideal) and Rex.

If he's hit his wall and feeling a little "over it" - I wouldn't totally blame him. Wouldn't like it, but would kind of get it.

but I think he's better than the commentary here this week, even if the td was his fault

Edited by NoSaint

Wilkerson is making some serious money with his play this year.

I doubt he gets past a franchise tag at the very least but Mario falling flat on his face this year isn't going to hurt the market for Wilkerson.

Mario does take plays off. He got man handled by Gronk in the first NE game.

Whether this is the exception or more the norm I honestly don't know.

I know that since he left The Texans they have been just fine. And that with out him playing against the NYJ or for the most part the NE game the D looked pretty good.

Mario may see the writing on the wall and want out. Isn't this what happened with the Texans when Phillips came In and took over? Mario didn't like his role in the new scheme?

I know that since he left The Texans they have been just fine.

Not really.

They struggled to replace him.

The guys the expected to step up.....based on strong play in his absence due to injury......flopped.

They had to use the #1 overall pick on Clowney trying to replace him.

Mercilus is stepping up this year, but that's 4 years later.

Mario has been great on the field since he got here....years of double digit sacks. Now, imho, Rex scheme this year has not worked well, Pettine ran similar and got it done with those same players. And, the management saw fit to change D coordinators several years in a row. this is the kind of problem you get when you don't run the same scheme two years in a row...players having to change roles, and instincts don't always align with the current scheme. I also remember Mario choose to leave the Texans because he didn't want to play in a 3x4. He came to Buffalo to play a 4x3 (and get paid)..He has been totally whipsawed in terms of the scheme..with those being done alternately the last 4 years. (you could make this situaion up for a case in bad managment, but you don't need to make it up, it really happened to the Bills D and players) OK, ownership change, changes in coaching etc etc. but, continuity brings depth of knowledge to players, and these guys are just now learning Rex D. If Mario were cut, he would be snapped up immediately by many others. The guy on the Jets......he has been trouble.....oh oh....that means Rex will definitely want him.

People were all over Hughes who's been playing his :censored: off. Now it's Mario's turn I see. :doh:

Mario has always been over rated because he was the #1 overall pick. He must be good - right. Well he is. Good not great. This year he has disappeared. I mentioned this in another post & was rebutted by a so called expert who wondered if I was watching the same game as he was. As I have said previously - next year, he is either cut, traded, or has his contract redone. No way they keep him at his pay level.

Watch the DE's of KC this Sunday & tell me who you would rather have.

He was an absolute beast last year. Too bad he and Kyle got the injury bug.

He was only a beast occasionally.

I know this.....

The D playing lights out against the pats last week WITHOUT Mario being out cannot be helping him......

Mario makes a LOT of money......there are DE's out there that play Rex Scheme well who dont make the coin Mario makes

I dont have a opinion on Mario getting cut one way or the other at the moment........it needs to be looked at in a overall team concept because Rex is not going anywhere.

He's in his 4th scheme in 4 years here. The dude has been incredibly flexible. He walked away from a 34 to be a very basic 43 DE position and since played under wannstedt, pettine, Schwartz (pretty ideal) and Rex.

If he's hit his wall and feeling a little "over it" - I wouldn't totally blame him. Wouldn't like it, but would kind of get it.

but I think he's better than the commentary here this week, even if the td was his fault

He is in his 4th scheme in 4 years. Wow - the poor guy. It is still football. He is getting beat one on one. I don't know what to say if you can't see that.

Not really.

They struggled to replace him.

The guys the expected to step up.....based on strong play in his absence due to injury......flopped.

They had to use the #1 overall pick on Clowney trying to replace him.

Mercilus is stepping up this year, but that's 4 years later.

Yeah, they really struggled to replace him. Just the best damn player in the game.

What is up with this guy? Is he even trying? Is he hurt? 11 tackles and 3 assists all year long with only 3 sacks? The guy used to be a monster. For all the money we are paying him what is going on?

He's been doing it with only one wheel , that will cut your production in half for sure !!