Mario Williams?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize he got hurt yesterday at some point, but -- and it pains me to say this because I've been a fan -- he has been bad this year. And it's not just the scheme. He consistently gets controlled in one on one matchups. Outside observers who track plays all seem to think he's having a poor season as well.

I will not be surprised if he's not on the team next season given the contract. We'll see.

I didn't realize he got hurt yesterday at some point, but -- and it pains me to say this because I've been a fan -- he has been bad this year. And it's not just the scheme. He consistently gets controlled in one on one matchups. Outside observers who track plays all seem to think he's having a poor season as well.

I will not be surprised if he's not on the team next season given the contract. We'll see.

it was mentioned on twitter during game but also the bills radio broadcast mentioned it as well. One reason I mute the tv and listen to broadcast is for info on injuries that don't get mentioned on TV unless guys are carted off etc

Seems to be just taking up blockers and not very happy about the way he is being used. I don't get it.

That is my take too. Until this week, it looked like the ends were told to contain the pocket and/or pay attention to something beyond just collapsing the pocket. They were not creating the same chaos they did last year when it was clear the mission was to go kill the QB.

Hughes clearly had the green light to attack last night and looked like his old self.

That unit is really missing Kyle Williams. The depth guys are really pretty good, but not the consistent handful Kyle is when used more than their usual limited rotation.

No guys. As the experts on the board say, if you don't see his value setting the edge and stopping the run game, you don't get football. He's the best player on the defense.

What a crock. Defense looked it's best the last two weeks. Coincidentally the two games he hasn't really played in.

Ray Lewis (who knows a Rex defense) really laid into Mario last night and blamed him for the late first half TD. Said it was the wrong time for him to improvise on what was a decent play call.

Ray Lewis (who knows a Rex defense) really laid into Mario last night and blamed him for the late first half TD. Said it was the wrong time for him to improvise on what was a decent play call.

Yeah, I saw that. One of the advantages of having a former Rex player watching the game. He knows the responsibilities. Nobody would have ever blamed Mario on that play without Lewis making that comment.

something is seriously wrong, he's gone from stud to dud.

if cut after this 2015 season , team would save almost $30.0 mil over next two seasons with $7.0 mil in dead money.

if cut after the 2016 season, team would save almost $15.0 mil with $1.6 in dead money.

Yeah, I saw that. One of the advantages of having a former Rex player watching the game. He knows the responsibilities. Nobody would have ever blamed Mario on that play without Lewis making that comment.

To be fair, he played for him a long time ago. It's possible the wrinkle has changed since 2008 or he's just sticking up for his guy. It's an added perspective but not end all be all

People were all over Hughes who's been playing his :censored: off. Now it's Mario's turn I see. :doh:

I think people were on Hughes for his inability to control emotions. His play has been solid all season. I think people are catching on that Mario has been coasting this year. I haven't seen that from Hughes. Out of control at times, yes. But not coasting.

I think people were on Hughes for his inability to control emotions. His play has been solid all season. I think people are catching on that Mario has been coasting this year. I haven't seen that from Hughes. Out of control at times, yes. But not coasting.

Mario is coasting? Okay. People seriously underestimate how much attention he commands.

Mario is coasting? Okay. People seriously underestimate how much attention he commands.

He doesn't make any plays, and I have been watching him. He's not really drawing extraordinary attention, and he's not beating people. He seems a step slower, truth be told.

At the end of the day, it's a production-based game. He's not producing.

He's been a non factor all year and frankly it doesn't seem like he's giving 100%. As a matter of fact, I know he isn't because I've seen him quit on plays. With that said, I think he is the one that is least buying into the defensive scheme and he's being stubborn about it. I do also think he's been dinged up quite a bit.

He doesn't make any plays, and I have been watching him. He's not really drawing extraordinary attention, and he's not beating people. He seems a step slower, truth be told.

At the end of the day, it's a production-based game. He's not producing.

Really? He has more sacks than any DL on the team and that's with him missing he almost the entire Jets' game and a good portion of last night's game. It's a new scheme for all of these guys and they've been somewhat neutralized by QBs getting rid of the ball quickly earlier in the season. They also moved Mario inside in the Miami home game where he commanded extra attention to allow Hughes to go off on the RT Fox.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

He's been a non factor all year and frankly it doesn't seem like he's giving 100%. As a matter of fact, I know he isn't because I've seen him quit on plays. With that said, I think he is the one that is least buying into the defensive scheme and he's being stubborn about it. I do also think he's been dinged up quite a bit.

After the Titans game: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/12/worst-players-at-every-position-for-week-5/. I know some people have an issue with PFF, so take it with a grain of salt.

Really? He has more sacks than any DL on the team and that's with him missing he almost the entire Jets' game and a good portion of last night's game. It's a new scheme for all of these guys and they've been somewhat neutralized by QBs getting rid of the ball quickly earlier in the season.

He has very, very few pressures. Also, 3 sacks in 9 games (I'm not including the Jets game) is miserable for a $18 million/year star DE. The fact that he's leading the team is like being a one-eyed king in the land of the blind. Regardless, Hughes is outplaying him.

Look, I've been explaining his play away all season because I thought he was so productive in past seasons. But for me, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee. He's largely been a dog this year.

Edited by dave mcbride

After the Titans game: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/12/worst-players-at-every-position-for-week-5/. I know some people have an issue with PFF, so take it with a grain of salt.

He has very, very few pressures. Also, 3 sacks in 9 games (I'm not including the Jets game) is miserable for a $18 million/year star DE. The fact that he's leading the team is like being a one-eyed king in the land of the blind. Regardless, Hughes is outplaying him.

Every few weeks it's time to complain about one of the guys on the DL. Hughes, Dareus, and now Mario.

Some have noticed this before last night's game. Now it's becoming more obvious.

Every few weeks it's time to complain about one of the guys on the DL. Hughes, Dareus, and now Mario.

I really don't think it's that simplistic. As I say above, I've been explaining his play away all season to my friends because I thought he was so productive in past seasons. But at this point, the evidence is in: for whatever reason he's largely been a dog this year.

I really don't think it's that simplistic. As I say above, I've been explaining his play away all season to my friends because I thought he was so productive in past seasons. But at this point, the evidence is in: for whatever reason he's largely been a dog this year.

He definitely hasn't been as effective, but a dog?

People were all over Hughes who's been playing his :censored: off. Now it's Mario's turn I see. :doh:

So you're saying Mario's been doing just fine this year, and trying to say otherwise is wrong. You should watch the games sometime.

And the only thing people were on Hughes about were his stupid personal foul calls that were game changing penalties.

something is seriously wrong, he's gone from stud to dud.

if cut after this 2015 season , team would save almost $30.0 mil over next two seasons with $7.0 mil in dead money.

if cut after the 2016 season, team would save almost $15.0 mil with $1.6 in dead money.

Dare I say: That money could go to Glenn and Gilmore...

If they dont restructure I could see him getting cut and the money being paid out to others, if they do restructure the money goes to keeping Glenn, Gilmore or both. Either way, something IMO is going to happen with him.

3 sacks in 10 games, worst season since 2006 in terms of sacks per game.

Year sacks per game 2006 0.28 2007 0.88 2008* 0.75 2009* 0.56 2010 0.65 2011 1.00 2012 0.66 2013* 0.81 2014*+ 0.91 2015 0.30

He hasn't played a full ten games this year Doctor.

So you're saying Mario's been doing just fine this year, and trying to say otherwise is wrong. You should watch the games sometime.

And the only thing people were on Hughes about were his stupid personal foul calls that were game changing penalties.

He hasn't been as effective for sure, but as per usual fans have a tendency to overreact. Maybe I'll take your advice and actually watch a game for the 1st time in my life. Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

He definitely hasn't been as effective, but a dog?

I really don't like to sound so harsh, but I really think that he's played like a below average DE this season. In the context of the entire NFL, I think he's still starting caliber, but if there are 64 starting DEs in the league right now, I wouldn't put him in the top 32. He just hasn't made enough plays.

To put some meat on this argument: according to Football Outsiders, as of November 17 (not including the Pats game), the Bills' left defensive end (i.e., Mario Williams) is the worst DE in all of football in terms of adjusted yards allowed. I don't think he helped his cause last night either. Scroll down to see.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

Edited by dave mcbride

I really don't like to sound so harsh, but I really think that he's played like a below average DE this season. In the context of the entire NFL, I think he's still starting caliber, but if there are 64 starting DEs in the league right now, I wouldn't put him in the top 32. He just hasn't made enough plays.

To put some meat on this argument: according to Football Outsiders, as of November 17 (not including the Pats game), the Bills' left defensive end (i.e., Mario Williams) is the worst DE in all of football in terms of adjusted yards allowed. I don't think he helped his cause last night either. Scroll down to see.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

Given his price tag, you certainly have every right to expect a high impact, disruptive DE that has to be accounted for on every play.

I think you can partially attribute some of the dip on scheme and some on Mario.

Given his price tag, you certainly have every right to expect a high impact, disruptive DE that has to be accounted for on every play.

I think you can partially attribute some of the dip on scheme and some on Mario.

Agreed re: scheme, but it does seem that some of the other guys - Dareus, who played very well last night, and Hughes, who played well too - are figuring the scheme out. Not so much with Mario, or so it seems.

Edited by dave mcbride

Agreed re: scheme, but it does seem that some of the other guys - Dareus, who played very well last night, and Hughes, who played well too - are figuring the scheme out. Not so much with Mario, or so it seems.

With him missing much of the last two games, it remains to be seen how well he's adjusted to the scheme and whether he can increase his production that historically seems to come in bunches.

Before we can really grade him we need to know exactly what he is being asked to do and I can't figure it out by watching him play (or not play). My quess is that taking the scenic route around the QB is not in the job description. Did anyone see him on the sidelines after last nights foot injury?