Which Teams Draft a QB

Ok, so I can't believe that it's here but the bottom line is that this team is going nowhere fast. The whole team is built around a defense and a defensive coach that is not delivering and it's time to go all out for offensive firepower. None of that matters without a QB so as it stands now, which teams are all but guaranteed to draft a QB in the top 12. Here is where the draft order lies as of today and I would predict 3 teams would draft a QB before us. Can the Bills get below KC and Cleveland? I believe so as we need to be able to grab one of the top 2 guys. We play both Houston and KC so at least there will be something to (not) play for and give a little excitement to this loser organization.

1. Detroit Lions (1-6)
2. Tennessee Titans (1-5)
3. Baltimore Ravens (1-5) -
4. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-5)
5. Houston Texans (2-5) YES
6. Cleveland Browns (2-5) YES
7. San Diego Chargers (2-5)
8. Kansas City Chiefs (2-5) YES
9. San Francisco 49ers (2-5)
10. Chicago Bears (2-4)
11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-4)
12. Dallas Cowboys (2-4)

Ok, so I can't believe that it's here but the bottom line is that this team is going nowhere fast. The whole team is built around a defense and a defensive coach that is not delivering and it's time to go all out for offensive firepower. None of that matters without a QB so as it stands now, which teams are all but guaranteed to draft a QB in the top 12. Here is where the draft order lies as of today and I would predict 3 teams would draft a QB before us. Can the Bills get below KC and Cleveland? I believe so as we need to be able to grab one of the top 2 guys. We play both Houston and KC so at least there will be something to (not) play for and give a little excitement to this loser organization.

1. Detroit Lions (1-6)

9. San Francisco 49ers (2-5) YES

10. Chicago Bears (2-4)

12. Dallas Cowboys (2-4)

:thumbsup:

This QB class and draft setup has the makings of 2010 all over again where you had guys like Locker and Ponder go in the top half of the 1st Round. I just don't see it as far as what is available this year, but people will definitely be reaching in the 1st hoping someone pans out.

Edited by H2o

so you want our last 3 first round picks to be EJ (won't be on the team), Sammy (has not produced, often injured), and a backup QB to be named later? meanwhile other teams in our division will be drafting starters that will make their team better day 1

if we draft someone it will be mid to late round and that's because they will figure most of the later round guys won't have a chance to make the team anyhow so you might get lucky and find a good QB

so you want our last 3 first round picks to be EJ (won't be on the team), Sammy (has not produced, often injured), and a backup QB to be named later? meanwhile other teams in our division will be drafting starters that will make their team better day 1

if we draft someone it will be mid to late round and that's because they will figure most of the later round guys won't have a chance to make the team anyhow so you might get lucky and find a good QB

Honestly, I give up......I really just give up and have accepted the fact that I won't see another Bills playoff game in my lifetime.

Honestly, I give up......I really just give up and have accepted the fact that I won't see another Bills playoff game in my lifetime.

I wish there was an easy answer. Outside of Andrew Luck and before him Peyton Manning, there hasn't been a "draft this guy and your team will be instantly good" type of QB. It's all a crap shoot. I just think it's too risky to waste another 1st round pick on a guy when we haven't had a 1st round player that has made this team better in the last few years. I think we have just as much of a shot at getting a QB later on than we would in the 1st when there are other players available that can start for us early on

1. Detroit Lions (1-6)

10. Chicago Bears (2-4)

12. Dallas Cowboys (2-4)

Time to tank and we can do it, we should let that Johnson kid start unless he is adequate and put ej back in.

nothing will be more annoying than going 8 - 8 and being out of getting one of the top three :angry::angry::angry:

:thumbsup:

This QB class and draft setup has the makings of 2010 all over again where you had guys like Locker and Ponder go in the top half of the 1st Round. I just don't see it as far as what is available this year, but people will definitely be reaching in the 1st hoping someone pans out.

Cook, Goff, Lynch

1. Detroit Lions (1-6)

10. Chicago Bears (2-4)

12. Dallas Cowboys (2-4)

The "bottom line" is that the Bills are 10th in QB rating in the NFL.

1. Detroit Lions (1-6)

10. Chicago Bears (2-4)

12. Dallas Cowboys (2-4)

I would add the Bears to the list to draft a QB.

The Bears will be taking a QB, the Texans will and the Browns probably will too. The 9ers are a wildcard not sure where they will look. I can see them being willing to trade back and pick up some extra picks because that team got gutted last offseason and they need to rebuild all over.

I don't think the Chiefs will pick a Quarterback.

I'd likely put a yes in front of Detroit (particularly if they have #1 overall and can take anyone they feel is worthy) Chicago, and SF too.

So unless we do tank, not likely we're getting anywhere near the top. But not to hard to jump up to #2 on that list either, particularly the way Rex had the Defense playing

1. Detroit Lions (1-6)
10. Chicago Bears (2-4)
12. Dallas Cowboys (2-4)

Time to tank and we can do it, we should let that Johnson kid start unless he is adequate and put ej back in.

nothing will be more annoying than going 8 - 8 and being out of getting one of the top three :angry::angry::angry:

Cook, Goff, Lynch

Sorry Barbarian. I just don't see it. I've watched Goff 3 times this year and he reminds me of Losman for some reason. I don't get the hype on Cook either. You can make excuses for anyone, but Cook's defense(and the Michigan punter) has made his record as a starter and not his play. He just doesn't seem like he's going to excel at the next level. He does everything good enough in college, but nothing about his game really stands out. Watched Lynch the last couple of weeks now after I saw him mentioned on the board. Big guy, strong arm, decent athleticism for his size, and had a good showing against that Ole Miss defense. I would rather have him than the other two, but that's just me. I just believe that this year is shaping up like the class of 2010 where you had a bunch of guys taken early and pretty much none of them pan out.

Sorry Barbarian. I just don't see it. I've watched Goff 3 times this year and he reminds me of Losman for some reason. I don't get the hype on Cook either. You can make excuses for anyone, but Cook's defense(and the Michigan punter) has made his record as a starter and not his play. He just doesn't seem like he's going to excel at the next level. He does everything good enough in college, but nothing about his game really stands out. Watched Lynch the last couple of weeks now after I saw him mentioned on the board. Big guy, strong arm, decent athleticism for his size, and had a good showing against that Ole Miss defense. I would rather have him than the other two, but that's just me. I just believe that this year is shaping up like the class of 2010 where you had a bunch of guys taken early and pretty much none of them pan out.

Goff, isn't my favorite but his movement in the pocket is exceptional.

I've watched most of Cooks games the past two yrs and he reminds me of Roethlisberger, as he can really extend plays when the pressure is on and makes a lot of big time throws on third down. You never now with anyone but we need to make a smart decision on a QB and see how it goes. I want to sit him for a yr and then go from there.

I've seen only two of Lynches games and he has been efficient but I haven't seen any wow moments maybe he will be the guy, either way we need a real drop back passer if we ever expect to win.

from what I heard, there are no great prospects @ QB this upcoming draft.

:blink:

1. Detroit Lions (1-6) NO

2. Tennessee Titans (1-5) NO

3. Baltimore Ravens (1-5) NO

4. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-5) NO

6. Cleveland Browns (2-5) YES- maybe

7. San Diego Chargers (2-5) NO

8. Kansas City Chiefs (2-5) YES- maybe

9. San Francisco 49ers (2-5) YES

10. Chicago Bears (2-4) NO

11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-4)NO

12. Dallas Cowboys (2-4) NO

Washington YES

So much of this season still depends on injuries, and how the field plays out.

The Cardinals have Carson Palmer but he is long in the tooth.

The Jets have Fitz, and are not sure about Geno. This new regime didn't draft him, and prefers Fitz over him atm.

Denver has Manning who looks to be on his last legs, and it wouldn't be a shock to see them try for a top rookie.

Chicago may finally be fed up with Jay Cutler.

The NO Saints might be looking for something different too.

As many as TEN teams might be looking for a fresh face at QB or to upgrade depending on how they finish the season.

CBS Sports Rob Rang has Jared Goff going to Houston @ #6 - Rob Rang- http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Connor Cook going to Cleveland @ #8

Duane Brugler has Paxton Lynch going to Chicago @ #4

Connor Cook going to Houston @#6

Jared Goff going to Cleveland @#8

Both have Buffalo taking an OT in the first. Rang, Taylor Decker OT Ohio St @ #18.

Brugler has Buffalo taking OT Jack Conklin MSU @#18

Other sites, http://walterfootball.com/draft2016.php

http://www.drafttek.com/2016-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp

Man, my head will explode if this team picks defense next year with that #1 pick

One good thing it looks like a lot of teams with the worst records so far have QBs on the roster who are supposed to be their franchise and are under guaranteed portion of big contracts or wouldnt want to send the signal they're moving on for fear of the unknown.

Edited by JTSP

I don't know if anybody posted this, but it's an opinion piece from ESPN on 10 QB's who could change teams in 2016, and it seems somewhat relevant to this conversation.

For those without insider:

1. Drew Brees: Chance is low

2. Matt Stafford: Chance is low

3. Peyton Manning: Chance is high for retirement

4. Colin Kaepernick: Chance is medium

5. RG3: Chance is high

6. Jay Cutler: Chance is medium/low

7. Sam Bradford: Chance is high

8. Kirk Cousins: Chance is medium/high

9. Geno Smith: Chance is medium

10. Ryan Fitzpatrick: Chance is low

So that is 8 teams with potential turnover at the QB position: NO, DET, DEN, SF, WAS, CHI, PHI, NYJ

If the Bills don't draft a QB they will be in the same place years from now . Tyrod "could be" a good QB but this should be EJ's last season as a Bill !!

Be like other good teams & get other options. We have let some really good prospects pass (no pun intended) right through our draft .

IMHO there are other QB's in the back up positions around the league that could be really good starters in the NFL !!

I wish that the Bills would try to get the guy in Cinci that is the back up there. He won a couple of national championships while at Bama & the Bengals have been raving about his progress.

But what do i know ???

If a team with its long term franchise QB already on the roster winds up with the first overall pick, then some team will go full Redskins or beyond for a QB. It could happen for the second pick too. And if I were the Lions or Ravens and sitting there with a probable franchise QB on the board I'd just pick him and go the Green Bay route.

Edited by BarleyNY

Outside of Andrew Luck and before him Peyton Manning, there hasn't been a "draft this guy and your team will be instantly good" type of QB. It's all a crap shoot.

And even that isn't working out too great for the Colts this year. Everyone that wants Payton or Brady on our team is gonna be waiting a looooong time - you MIGHT get a guy like that with the #1 overall, but you might not and the other option is blind luck (no relation to Andrew) in the later rounds...

Chargers and Cowboys are both likely to draft quarterbacks as well, to let them sit and develop. The Bears may also be in that category.

Not likely for either in the first IMO.

The bottom line IMO is wins. Taylor could be the guy for several years, let's hope he is, but, are you comfortable with him followed by a scrap heap QB followed by a 6th round draft pick? Keep the Fitzgibbons years in mind...the mistake then was ignoring the position which left us having to take a QB in the one draft where there wasn't a first rounder available.

And even that isn't working out too great for the Colts this year. Everyone that wants Payton or Brady on our team is gonna be waiting a looooong time - you MIGHT get a guy like that with the #1 overall, but you might not and the other option is blind luck (no relation to Andrew) in the later rounds...

There really is no such thing as a sure thing QB, imo. College and NFL games are pretty different, and then it's a crap shoot if a young QB will develop in whatever system they're drafted into. The first few years in the NFL are the most important in development, if that gets screwed up, the QB is going to flounder. This whole 'plug a QB in day 1 and expect them to win right away' thing is getting pretty messed up, and I think we're starting to see the results of it.

That's really NOT the bottom line. I like the QBR stats to check what my eyes are telling me. Taylor actually ranks 10th in Total QBR, which is good. But the breakdown of the QBR components is where the concern is - and it supports what I see. His legs are a huge asset and compensate for subpar passing. He's 26th in the passing component, which is a big problem. It is a problem that is exacerbated by his size. He's not big enough to make a living running the ball in the NFL. The sample size is small so far and he's new to live NFL action so there certainly could be growth as a passer. It might happen. Or it might not. If I'm the Bills I'm not holding back on other quality QB prospects until I'm sure I have a FQB in Tyrod. And right now I'm a long way from being sure. That's not a knock on him and I don't give up on him, but I don't put all of my eggs in that basket either.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

If there is a QB worth taking, go for it. Even if there isn't I think they need to pick somebody. I also hope Pegula takes a hard look at who is in charge of developing QB talent and whether spending more money might help this process. However, what I really think needs to happen is this team needs to really commit to building a dominant offensive line. Because without a good line it doesn't matter who is at QB. A poor offensive line will make even a better than average QB look terrible. If you think this offensive line looks bad now just wait until the offseason when they have to figure out a way to re-sign Glen and Incognito or move on and lose two starters.

Edited by Dr. Fong

There really is no such thing as a sure thing QB, imo. College and NFL games are pretty different, and then it's a crap shoot if a young QB will develop in whatever system they're drafted into. The first few years in the NFL are the most important in development, if that gets screwed up, the QB is going to flounder. This whole 'plug a QB in day 1 and expect them to win right away' thing is getting pretty messed up, and I think we're starting to see the results of it.

Oh, I totally hear you.

But what I don't understand is why the dummies in our FO don't just draft a sure-fire, day 1, plug and play QB!? I mean, that's what I would do! :D

They should certainly draft a QB, but a 1st-round pick is too valuable to draft solely for need. You draft the best football player, unless you are totally stacked at that position. You can trade down too.

One good thing it looks like a lot of teams with the worst records so far have QBs on the roster who are supposed to be their franchise and are under guaranteed portion of big contracts or wouldnt want to send the signal they're moving on for fear of the unknown.

Some of these teams will trade back to QB needy teams.

• 5 weeks later...

So I thought worth revisiting this given the chatter about whether we should take a QB in the 1st.

If the season ended today the Bills would draft 19th. So let's look at who of the 18 above them could be in the QB market:

1. Cleveland Browns - YES - if they pick 1st overall they will take a QB and knowing the Browns he will be a bust.

2. San Diego Chargers - NO - think they will be looking for a QB to learn behind Rivers but I see it as a later round developmental guy.

3. Tennessee Titans - NO - They are all in on Mariota. In Mettenberger they might have a guy some of the other needy teams go after rather than look to the draft.

4. Baltimore Ravens - NO - They are set with Joe Flacco and have a lot of other holes.

5. Dallas Cowboys - MAYBE - How banged up is Romo? They are a wildcard to go QB early. I still think it wouldn't be in the first but you never know.

6. San Francisco 49ers - YES - Strong possibility they look to move on from Kaep and Gabbert is not the answer.

7. Detroit Lions - MAYBE - Stafford is playing for his job but he has responded especially since the OC switch. My gut is that they feel he still gives them a better shot than a rookie in 2016.

8. Philadelphia Eagles - YES - Bradford is a FA anyway and he hasn't shown himself to be the answer regardless.

9. Miami Dolphins - NO - They have tied in to Tannehill and have plenty of other holes.

10. Oakland Raiders - NO - Carr is their guy. They will work on improving the lines and the secondary.

11. Jacksonville Jaguars - NO - Bortles is coming on nicely. Keep ugrading that defense and his protection.

12. St Louis Rams - YES - Foles is not the answer and nor is Case Keenum. Could also have a new Head Coach who may wish to start with a new Quarterback.

13. Washington Redskins - NO - So long as Gruden is there they are going to ride Kirk Cousins...... to mediocrity.... it is a mistake but one I think they are determined to make.

14. New Orleans Saints - MAYBE - I still think them moving on from Brees is a long shot but if they completely clear house? Well who knows?

15. Chicago Bears - MAYBE - Having said they definitely would earlier in the season I have softened to a maybe. If one of the top guys slips to them I think they will but don't expect the Bears to reach at QB.

16. New York Jets - YES - Fitz is a FA, Geno is a bust, Bryce Petty is an unknown. However, if they are out of position for one of the top prospects then I suspect they go another position in the 1st.

17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - NO - Famous Jameis is here to stay.

18. Seattle Seahawks - NO - They have a desperate need on the o-line and need to revive their pass rush.

1. Detroit Lions (1-6) CB

2. Tennessee Titans (1-5) RB

3. Baltimore Ravens (1-5) - Safety

4. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-5) OC

5. Houston Texans (2-5) YES for sure QB

6. Cleveland Browns (2-5) YES for sure QB-WR

7. San Diego Chargers (2-5) WR

8. Kansas City Chiefs (2-5) YES- I disagree OT

9. San Francisco 49ers (2-5) YES QB

10. Chicago Bears (2-4) OT

11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-4) OT

12. Dallas Cowboys (2-4) Maybe RB

Buffalo-will Taylor ever throw over the middle, and stay healthy? RT- QB-OLB

Jets - Is Geno the answer, with a new coaching staff and GM who knows? OLB

Denver Is QB Brock Osweiler the answer, who knows? 1-0 so far.OT

Washington is Kirk Cousins the answer? QB

Philadelphia is Sam Bradford the answer, and will Chip Kelly stay? OG

New Orleans Will Sean Payton still be in NO next year, and if not will Drew Brees still be? CB

St Louis is Nick Foles the answer with so many injuries? WR

Six QB's ranked to go in the first or second round

Paxton Lynch 1

Jared Goff 1

Connor Cook 1

Christian Hackenberg 2

Cason Wentz 2

Cardale Jones 2-3

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/QB