Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

I think trying to say this is just because of 2 games is misleading. He has a way better idea of whats going on than you do, and he knows what the coaches plan fo him, and why the QB isn't getting him the ball.

He is in the film room watching with other players (who have responded to this by saying "get him the ball").

What he is simply saying ..

wait for it

because its quite true.

Tyrod cant see the field yet. We all know it.

But is it his height?

Because he is smart kid for sure. Where are the timing plays?

Maybe the NFL is about QBs who can see above the O and D lines.

Think Roman moves the pocket just for the sake of protections ?

he is trying to create passing lanes. That is a major study in discipline and execution. Bills are struggling to give TT that consistent line of sight. The kid can throw for sure !!

But i have mostly thought he does not see the guys running the routes. for more than one reason.

Start EJM and see if it makes a difference

Til he pukes dammit!

or gets Winded!

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait for it

because its quite true.

But is it his height?

he is trying to create passing lanes. That is a major study in discipline and execution. Bills are struggling to give TT that consistent line of sight. The kid can throw for sure !!

But i have mostly thought he does not see the guys running the routes. for more than one reason.

or gets Winded!

Then whose turn?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

wait for it

because its quite true.

But is it his height?

or gets Winded!

He certainly seems excited to have EJM start....

The thing is, if Tyrod is missing him, the OC should be coming up with ways to get Watkins the ball, even if it has to be a handoff.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I think trying to say this is just because of 2 games is misguided. He has a way better idea of whats going on than you do, and he knows what the coaches plan for him, and why the QB isn't getting him the ball.

He is in the film room watching with other players (who have responded to this by saying "get him the ball").

Why didn't he make any mention of this in the off season? Maybe I missed it. He had a good rookie season. No complaints by me and none by him. This year, he gets a zero target game (where he said "I'm happy I contributed and the team won") then a good Pats game, then injured halfway through the Fins game. So there you have it - this season hasn't started out as good as he hoped. Neither did OBJ's last year when he was injured but he made the most of it. Go play ball Sammy. Your time is now.

I don't like how he communicated it to the media, but I understand his frustration as I have seen him wide open at times. EJ has four inches on TT, so he may be able to see the field better and if they play him in the Gun as they did as a rookie, he may really show what he can do. I hope so, not just for winning or Watkins, but also for EJ. I've been critical of EJ, but I want to see has he really improved or is it just a bunch of hoopla.

I don't like how he communicated it to the media, but I understand his frustration as I have seen him wide open at times. EJ has four inches on TT, so he may be able to see the field better and if they play him in the Gun as they did as a rookie, he may really show what he can do. I hope so, not just for winning or Watkins, but also for EJ. I've been critical of EJ, but I want to see has he really improved or is it just a bunch of hoopla.

I think its worth a shot. putting EJM in with Sammy. They do have a rapport it seems.

another thought i have is that Tyrod has really struggled the last two games in the first half. Last week he appeared a bit lost. I am fine with aligning that with injury, but boy he just looks like he needs a break mentally

Kid is as competitive as hell and i love him as Bill . Think might be a keeper.

But lets let Manuel have shot to keep us in the game

Well it is hard to win in the NFL, but where else would you rather be?

I am a Bills Fan. I breathe it. Bills went to toronto i would not be watching football.

Pegula made the Bills fun again!!

to answer your question, i am exactly where i want to be. only took 54 years

I think its worth a shot. putting EJM in with Sammy. They do have a rapport it seems.

another thought i have is that Tyrod has really struggled the last two games in the first half. Last week he appeared a bit lost. I am fine with aligning that with injury, but boy he just looks like he needs a break mentally

Kid is as competitive as hell and i love him as Bill . Think might be a keeper.

But lets let Manuel have shot to keep us in the game

I am a Bills Fan. I breathe it. Bills went to toronto i would not be watching football.

Pegula made the Bills fun again!!

to answer your question, i am exactly where i want to be. only took 54 years

Love it. Never confuse efforts with results.

The thing is, if Tyrod is missing him, the OC should be coming up with ways to get Watkins the ball, even if it has to be a handoff.

where is that short quick stuff we all hoped for. YAC and such. Playmakers a plenty! because the O line has struggled i dont think the Book Of Roman is opened past the second chapter. You are of course correct about getting the ball to these guys.

Why didn't he make any mention of this in the off season? Maybe I missed it. He had a good rookie season. No complaints by me and none by him. This year, he gets a zero target game (where he said "I'm happy I contributed and the team won") then a good Pats game, then injured halfway through the Fins game. So there you have it - this season hasn't started out as good as he hoped. Neither did OBJ's last year when he was injured but he made the most of it. Go play ball Sammy. Your time is now.

The only games this year where he wasn't targeted were the 2 he sat out. He was only targeted 3 times vs Indy, but he was targeted. And he was targeted twice in Miami, but he only played 12 snaps that game.

The only games this year where he wasn't targeted were the 2 he sat out. He was only targeted 3 times vs Indy, but he was targeted. And he was targeted twice in Miami, but he only played 12 snaps that game.

Right. Just trying to point out this isn't a six or seven game stretch of no passes. Two games does not set the stage for the type of public criticism he lodged against the team ("you're making me look bad").

Really basic idea: listen to the defensive players. If the most elite front seven guy (Mario Williams) and the best secondary guy (Gilmore) both say that he's one of the best guys they've faced in recent years, listen to them. Get him the damn ball.

@ChrisTrapasso

FWIW, EJ Manuel targeted Sammy Watkins 32x in the four games the two played together in 2014.... including 28 targets from Weeks 2-4.

To be fair, Manuel wasn't able to hit the broad side of a barn in deeper throws in those games. He was way off target on most of those throws.

Edited by dave mcbride

Last year many on this board liked to claim that the WRs mutinied on Manuel despite the fact that there was little evidence of this other than some body language on the field.

Given that, does both Woods and Watkins saying they are open but being missed constitute a mutiney on TT? It's more evidence than was around last year yet I dont see these same people claiming it now.

And no, I dont believe it now just like I didnt last year Im just wondering about the lack of consistency of these opinions.

Really basic idea: listen to the defensive players. If the most elite front seven guy (Mario Williams) and the best secondary guy (Gilmore) both say that he's one of the best guys they've faced in recent years, listen to them. Get him the damn ball.

To be fair, Manuel wasn't able to hit the broad side of a barn in deeper throws in those games. He was way off target on most of those throws.

To be fair Sammy should have caught the beautifully thrown bomb from Manuel in the week 2 Miami game. But Sammy relaxed and allowed Grimes to break up the pass. In the 1st two games Manuel was fine. In games 3 and 4 not so good, but the interior line play didn't do him any favors.

Last year many on this board liked to claim that the WRs mutinied on Manuel despite the fact that there was little evidence of this other than some body language on the field.

Given that, does both Woods and Watkins saying they are open but being missed constitute a mutiney on TT? It's more evidence than was around last year yet I dont see these same people claiming it now.

And no, I dont believe it now just like I didnt last year Im just wondering about the lack of consistency of these opinions.

I watched EJ throw in the games last year, and TT this year...as a season ticket holder of many years. The report above about EJ not hitting the broad side of a barn for long throws is right.......TT has thrown much better than that this year....his arm is decent although not all-pro imho. EJ last year was not decent. EJ this preseason has better than I have seen him before....maybe he has turned the corner. Still, his occasional bumbling behavior on field makes me nervous, and is clearly why the coaches are down on him. None the less, we will undoubtedly see him this weekend against Cinci and we will know if EJ is a player once and for all. TT shouldn't go and should take two (three) weeks off, come back 100%. Whaley traded Cassell (starting now for Dallas) so EJ would get this shot. OK, but the season rides on EJ being enough of a pro to step in and win. My guess is we win in London only...and the EJ debate will rage on. For the record, I would have prefered to have Cassell in the Bills QB slot this weekend.

Finally, I witnessed the on field frustration gestures (not body language) of the receivers last year....that was plenty of evidence for me where the problem was. The term "body language" doesn't convey the gestures, as there was no need to read the gestures, they were self explanatory.

Or how about a damn screen pass? There are ways to get Sammy the ball people. Not all of them require a seven step drop back and four seconds in the pocket.

So you think Sammy sought out Dunne to get this off his chest? Or did Dunne engage Sammy in a conversation and asked him why he's been pretty much a non factor in the Offense this year? A lot of people are reacting like it's the former and this has gotten blown way the heck out of proportion.

Bottom line - get him the damn ball. He's the kind of weapon we haven't had since James Lofton was running wild at The Ralph.

Or how about a damn screen pass? There are ways to get Sammy the ball people. Not all of them require a seven step drop back and four seconds in the pocket.

So you think Sammy sought out Dunne to get this off his chest? Or did Dunne engage Sammy in a conversation and asked him why he's been pretty much a non factor in the Offense this year? A lot of people are reacting like it's the former and this has gotten blown way the heck out of proportion.

Bottom line - get him the damn ball. He's the kind of weapon we haven't had since James Lofton was running wild at The Ralph.

Bottom line, suit up every week and you'll get your targets.

You can't be considered the bull if you keep sitting for calf injuries...

Bottom line, suit up every week and you'll get your targets.

You can't be considered the bull if you keep sitting for calf injuries...

No argument here with that. Injuries are part of the NFL.

But when he IS in the game, get him in the game.

I watched EJ throw in the games last year, and TT this year...as a season ticket holder of many years. The report above about EJ not hitting the broad side of a barn for long throws is right.......TT has thrown much better than that this year....his arm is decent although not all-pro imho. EJ last year was not decent. EJ this preseason has better than I have seen him before....maybe he has turned the corner. Still, his occasional bumbling behavior on field makes me nervous, and is clearly why the coaches are down on him. None the less, we will undoubtedly see him this weekend against Cinci and we will know if EJ is a player once and for all. TT shouldn't go and should take two (three) weeks off, come back 100%. Whaley traded Cassell (starting now for Dallas) so EJ would get this shot. OK, but the season rides on EJ being enough of a pro to step in and win. My guess is we win in London only...and the EJ debate will rage on. For the record, I would have prefered to have Cassell in the Bills QB slot this weekend.

Finally, I witnessed the on field frustration gestures (not body language) of the receivers last year....that was plenty of evidence for me where the problem was. The term "body language" doesn't convey the gestures, as there was no need to read the gestures, they were self explanatory.

Great post. I agree with everything except the part of rather seeing Cassel this weekend, EJ's preseason changed me there.

To be fair Sammy should have caught the beautifully thrown bomb from Manuel in the week 2 Miami game. But Sammy relaxed and allowed Grimes to break up the pass. In the 1st two games Manuel was fine. In games 3 and 4 not so good, but the interior line play didn't do him any favors.

That was a great play by Grimes. Defensive players make plays too ...

No argument here with that. Injuries are part of the NFL.

But when he IS in the game, get him in the game.

No problem with that. But the guy comes off a 2 game stint in the trainer's room to tell us how the Bills are makeing him look bad? Son, you're not there yet...

He's got cast iron balls, but the rest of him seems pretty soft. Maybe he should talk with an actual WR legend like Jerry Rice and learn how to condition himself better in the off season.

Not a good look at all perception-wise, but he's not wrong. He's the best player on the field and needs the ball.

Yep it is one thing to be a team player & doing what they ask as far as blocking for others when they have the ball .

But to give up what they did for him & not have him as a major part of the offense isn't real smart !

That would be like paying all that money for Mario or Dareus & having them drop back into coverage on every play instead of rushing the passer, it doesn't make any sense !!

But first Sammy has to be on the field !!!

He's been an idiot in front of the mic since he got here.

When has Watkins EVER been an idiot in front of the mic? I've watched all the interviews on BuffaloBills.com for past couple years. He's been nothing but professional and respectful. He never gives you much - just cliches, but an idiot in front of the mic? Have no idea what you mean.

And, as for what recently happened, Sammy is correct. All he wants is his QB to trust him more in 1-on-1 match-ups because Sammy is going to win those battles most of the time, but the QB is not even looking his way many times. I have no problem with Sammy whatsoever either in the past or present.

Edited by ChasBB

Yes when I read that I thought "Sammy is going to start sitting out because he is not getting enough recognition" - it is part of baggage he has to accept with Parker as agent.

Sammy's agent is actually Tory Dandy with Relativity. Parker also is with Relativity. Maybe that enters into it, maybe not.

Parker does represent EJ Manuel fwiw.

Edit: I just listened to the Ty Dunne interview and he said Tory Dandy works for Parker so basically Parker is the main agent. Interesting that he and EJ have the same agent.

Edited by YoloinOhio

As the godfather said on Sirius XM NFL this morning "Learn to deal with and get off press coverage and you'll get 10 targets a game........" Godfather should have added "And learn the difference between pain and being injured".

he played 16 games last year with cracked ribs

When has Watkins EVER been an idiot in front of the mic? I've watched all the interviews on BuffaloBills.com for past couple years. He's been nothing but professional and respectful. He never gives you much - just cliches, but an idiot in front of the mic? Have no idea what you mean.

And, as for what recently happened, Sammy is correct. All he wants is his QB to trust him more in 1-on-1 match-ups because Sammy is going to win those battles most of the time, but the QB is not even looking his way many times. I have no problem with Sammy whatsoever either in the past or present.

I recall him taking shots at EJ through the media last year, although I can't provide specifics dates. I do remember threads about it on here, though.

And I agree that Sammy is correct. However, the issue with Taylor isn't trust ... it's ability.

Let's get this right. Sammy has missed 2.5 games. TT didn't look at him vs. Indy, got a few tio him vs. NE & maybe 2 X vs. Miami (one long completion, another completed OB). The last 2 weeks the WR's were MIA and pretty obvious Harvin disappeared as the primary target with Watkins out. Only Clay @ TE a viable target.

Watkins is right that TT and the OC barely look at him, while Eli Manning basically looks at OBJ every play (whether he throws it to him or not).

This goes back to last year and does get old and I understand Watkins complaints.

One other thing that is seldom shown is catchable balls or open targets. To say someone was targeted 8 or 10 times and caught 6, means little if the other 4 were throwaways and uncatchable.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Let's get this right. Sammy has missed 2.5 games. TT didn't look at him vs. Indy, got a few tio him vs. NE & maybe 2 X vs. Miami (one long completion, another completed OB). The last 2 weeks the WR's were MIA and pretty obvious Harvin disappeared as the primary target with Watkins out. Only Clay @ TE a viable target.

Watkins is right that TT and the OC barely look at him, while Eli Manning basically looks at OBJ every play (whether he throws it to him or not).

This goes back to last year and does get old and I understand Watkins complaints.

One other thing that is seldom shown is catchable balls or open targets. To say someone was targeted 8 or 10 times and caught 6, means little if the other 4 were throwaways and uncatchable.

there was a thread last year about Watkins having an exceptional percentage of uncatchable targets compared to other WRs.

I recall him taking shots at EJ through the media last year, although I can't provide specifics dates. I do remember threads about it on here, though.

And I agree that Sammy is correct. However, the issue with Taylor isn't trust ... it's ability.

yeah, I think you're right - he maybe took a subtle shot at QB play last year, but don't recall it being an issue or anything - maybe just after a particularly frustrating outing. Overall, I think he's handled himself well. Hope you are wrong about the ability vs. trust thing - time will tell I suppose.