Is Greg Roman the next Mike Pettine?

Coach Tuesday

Picked this up in a few stray posts in various threads so I thought I'd start a new thread specifically about it.

Do folks think that Roman is likely to be one-and-done? I do and here's why:

Roman lived in Harbaugh's shadow in S.F. - Harbaugh took most of the credit for the success of that offense (which masked a raw and flawed mobile QB), and he got blamed for the failure of that offense after Harbaugh basically quit on the franchise last season.

Now he comes to Buffalo to serve under a defensive-minded HC, in a situation where he can't really fail - his own GM has described it as "QB purgatory" and putting aside what that means, it's clear that the Bills' QB situation is not envied around the league. So if the offense fails, he won't really be blamed for it - but if it succeeds, especially with a raw and possibly flawed (at least vertically flawed) mobile QB, Roman will instantly become one of the hottest HC names in the league next offseason.

Does he cash in and bolt?

Oh, and I'm predicting already that the likeliest destination for him will be the Redskins - think about it - milquetoast head coach, frustrated fanbase, and an impatient owner who might want to salvage a raw, flawed mobile QB...

I don't think Jay Gruden survives the season in Washington. And if the Bills offense has any measurable success, I'd expect Dan Snyder's plane to be on its way to Buffalo in early February (probably the day after we win the Superbowl :D )...

Thoughts?

(Yes I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me get ahead of myself. And at least it's not another QB or FJax thread. And you clicked on it and the subject line was pretty damn descriptive - you knew what you were getting yourself into.)

Picked this up in a few stray posts in various threads so I thought I'd start a new thread specifically about it.

Roman lived in Harbaugh's shadow in S.F. - Harbaugh took most of the credit for the success of that offense (which masked a raw and flawed mobile QB), and he got blamed for the failure of that offense after Harbaugh basically quit on the franchise last season.

Now he comes to Buffalo to serve under a defensive-minded HC, in a situation where he can't really fail - his own GM has described it as "QB purgatory" and putting aside what that means, it's clear that the Bills' QB situation is not envied around the league. So if the offense fails, he won't really be blamed for it - but if it succeeds, especially with a raw and possibly flawed (at least vertically flawed) mobile QB, Roman will instantly become one of the hottest HC names in the league next offseason.

Oh, and I'm predicting already that the likeliest destination for him will be the Redskins - think about it - milquetoast head coach, frustrated fanbase, and an impatient owner who might want to salvage a raw, flawed mobile QB...

I don't think Jay Gruden survives the season in Washington. And if the Bills offense has any measurable success, I'd expect Dan Snyder's plane to be on its way to Buffalo in early February (probably the day after we win the Superbowl :D )...

Thoughts?

(Yes I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me get ahead of myself. And at least it's not another QB or FJax thread. And you clicked on it and the subject line was pretty damn descriptive - you knew what you were getting yourself into.)

Yes, he didn't come here for the long haul.

He wanted a situation that would make his work stand out.

There were some around that league that were enthralled with Roman's running game design.......but his work has been largely under appreciated.

I don't think a broken-play guy like Taylor is the ideal QB to draw attention to GR's coaching ability........but he's the best fit for the personnel the Bills have and I think Roman will now be appreciated if his work yields results.

His stock was hotter with the niners. Superbowl, etc. He had interest this past off season but mainly as an OC. lovie Smith wanted him. Etc.

For Being fairly young he has been around the league yet no offers. maybe the Bills before hiring Rex might have pulled the trigger.

No,doubt he is a top 10 OC. And having worked with Rex before, a decent salary from El Pegul, who knows maybe he stays awhile.

His stock was hotter with the niners. Superbowl, etc. He had interest this past off season but mainly as an OC. lovie Smith wanted him. Etc.

For Being fairly young he has been around the league yet no offers. maybe the Bills before hiring Rex might have pulled the trigger.

No,doubt he is a top 10 OC. And having worked with Rex before, a decent salary from El Pegul, who knows maybe he stays awhile.

San Frans fans didn`t like him the last couple years. Were glad to see him go. Lets see how this year pans out.

San Frans fans didn`t like him the last couple years. Were glad to see him go. Lets see how this year pans out.

Niner fans were justifibly upset at Kaps regression, hard to say if that was Roman's fault. and well Jeb York is the latest meddling douche. he destroyed that team.

I really wish Tyrod well but the read option seems like a fad that could have a limited successful shelf life once defenses figure Romans offense out. it might be why no one pursued Roman heavily as a HC. it could be a very high scoring offense or............. IMO Tyrod has the potential to be a better QB than kap. I don't see Roman as a one and done OC in Buffalo.

The best thing the Bills could do is have a succession plan in place to have a current assistant in place to take over with the same offense if roman leaves. Would suck to have to bring in some high profile guy who tosses everything out to run his own offense ( all this assumes Romans offense was incredibly successful of course)

Hotter than now? Yes.

Hotter than if he turns the Bills into a potent offensive team? No.

There is no Harbaugh here to take the credit for QB play.

Does anyone consider the possibility that Roman looked good, because Harbaugh was good. Have any of Rex's previous OCs ever become a hot commodity?

Does anyone consider the possibility that Roman looked good, because Harbaugh was good. Have any of Rex's previous OCs ever become a hot commodity?

Yes, I did.

I wasn't initially thrilled with the Roman hiring.

Then I watched the SF tape a bit more closely and developed an appreciation for the sophistication of his running game and the violence it brought to his offense.

To put it kindly......the Bills offense has been on the receiving end of the violence for years now.

I also noticed how inefficient Kaepernick was.

That lack of passing production was held against Roman........I was worried about bringing a ground and pound guy to a team with Sammy and Woods..........but Kaepernick is just plain sloppy and raw.

I developed an appreciation for what Roman was actually able to get done...championship games and a SB..... without consistency from his QB.

I wouldn't be so sure. San Fran ownership wanted him out and blamed him for Kaepernick's regression. I doubt he gets a HC job offer with guys like Brian Kelly, Gus Malzahn, and even Josh McDaniels potentially available. Taylor would need to play like a ProBowl QB for him to get offers. We just need him to play like Russell Wilson and Flacco. Don't do anything to lose the game and make a big play every once in a while with feet or arm.

I wouldn't be so sure. San Fran ownership wanted him out and blamed him for Kaepernick's regression. I doubt he gets a HC job offer with guys like Brian Kelly, Gus Malzahn, and even Josh McDaniels potentially available. Taylor would need to play like a ProBowl QB for him to get offers. We just need him to play like Russell Wilson and Flacco. Don't do anything to lose the game and make a big play every once in a while with feet or arm.

I'd hate to be a fan of the team that hires Josh McDaniels. I think Roman gets offers before him.

Roman was one of the top HC ing names this year . In fact he was one that the Pegula's & Whaley interviewed before Rex, so i see him being the top name in next years coaching carousel .

As always the Bills will be making yet another year to year coaching change !!

Unless Terry makes it worth his while to stay !! :flirt:

Go Terry ! Go Terry !

Why didn't the 49ers tab him as their HC. Instead went with a line coach

BRILLIANT !!

Greg Roman has been talked about a running game genius. We also have Chris Palmer working here this year with our passing offense as a consultant. Could Palmer be someone that might also be having an influence with the passing game and QB's?

It was mentioned that when we hired Palmer that he was brought to Buffalo to help develop our QB's...

San Fran fans didn`t like him the last couple years. Were glad to see him go. Lets see how this year pans out.

This~!

Lets get a few games into the season before we judge Roman in any way. Will the QB situation be successful? Will the O line look as strong as it has in pre season to protect the QB, and make that ground n pound work?

As we all know pre season is all vanilla, and DC's as well as OC's don't implement their full defense / offense till that first whistle in the opening game.

we should know a lot about the offense after the first two games. Indy might have a weak O line but they still have one of the best young QB's in the game in Andrew Luck. Will the Bills offense be able to keep pace should the Colts offense, as they averaged 406 yards a game last year.

Then in week two after the half when Bilcheat makes his halftime adjustments will TT still look as good? Time will tell.

Why didn't the 49ers tab him as their HC. Instead went with a line coach

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/11/28/jed-yorks-tweet-provokes-fans-to-call-for-greg-romans-job/

I wouldn't rate Niners fans venting on comment sections as knowledgeable unless you guys are referring to fans you know personally. I saw a lot of hate for Roman on comment sections which I would equate to our fan reactions to Darby getting picked on. They aren't seeing the whole picture.

One Niner's fan I know held the play calling in the super bowl against Roman. He won't let it go either. So there's that.

Could be but I think Roman will be here for at least a couple of seasons. The circumstances that led to Pettine being hired as a head coach after one year as a DC probably won't line up again. Roman would have to have a good year with the offense (Which isn't as talented as the defense was a couple of years ago, possible but not likely), a team would have to be hard up for a head coach (Possible but I doubt the Browns dip into the Bills pool twice back to back), and the established canidates would have to be holding out for better opportunities.

Either way if you have a defensive head coach it's smart to advertise your OC position as an opportunity to craft a resume as a head coach as you will be much more credited with the units success. While the team attracts the best offensive coaching talent.

Thoughts?

We need to lock Roman up at all costs and guarantee him the HC job here after Rex retires or is let go.

Thoughts?

yep. one and done. hopefully. bc that means we won and scored a lot

Roman was one of the top HC ing names this year . In fact he was one that the Pegula's & Whaley interviewed before Rex, so i see him being the top name in next years coaching carousel .

As always the Bills will be making yet another year to year coaching change !!

Unless Terry makes it worth his while to stay !! :flirt:

Go Terry ! Go Terry !

BRILLIANT !!

He wasn't one of the top people interviewed for HC in 2015, in fact his only HC interview was in Buffalo. He interviewed for OC in Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and St. Louis. Previous to that his only HC interview was with Minnesota, who ended up going with Mike Zimmer. There were much more sought after offensive guys last year like Gase, Bevell and Kubiak.

I think it might be tough for Roman to get a HC job next year because I believe there are a lot of guys he would have to leap frog for it to happen. I think right now Gase may be the most sought after OC for a HC job, especially if he preforms well in Chicago. He turned down the 49ers job reportedly because he couldn't pick his own DC. He's followed closely by Josh McDaniel. I also think if Pat Schumer does well in Philly with Sam Bradford he will be a hot candidate. Then you've got guys like Hue Jackson, Pep Hamilton, Kevin Sumlin and even, ugh hurts to type this, Doug Marrone.

So which HC jobs could be open next season? I think Washington could be one, Jacksonville could be another. If the Giants don't preform well it could be another. I could also see Miami parting ways with Joe Philbin if they don't make the playoffs. I think Marrone has positioned himself in Jacksonville on purpose and would be very high up on the list to be the next coach there. I could see the Giants going internal, with maybe Ben McAdoo or maybe going with a defensive coach. Not sure what Miami would do. Washington is the real wild card because who knows what Daniel Snyder is thinking.

I suppose a situation like Mike Pettine could present itself next year, crazy owner who can't make up his mind and hires the last guy standing. That guy could be Roman but IMO I think there a quite a few guys, offensively, that are ahead of him at the moment and he would have to have a really really strong offensive year.

Yes, I did.

I wasn't initially thrilled with the Roman hiring.

Then I watched the SF tape a bit more closely and developed an appreciation for the sophistication of his running game and the violence it brought to his offense.

To put it kindly......the Bills offense has been on the receiving end of the violence for years now.

I also noticed how inefficient Kaepernick was.

That lack of passing production was held against Roman........I was worried about bringing a ground and pound guy to a team with Sammy and Woods..........but Kaepernick is just plain sloppy and raw.

I developed an appreciation for what Roman was actually able to get done...championship games and a SB..... without consistency from his QB.

Exactly where I was. Wasn't a massive fan of the hire at the time but when you go back and watch the 9ers games from last year closely you are hard pressed not to come away with two major takeaways:

- Roman is better than they gave him credit for

- Kaepernick is not good.

The other thing is that the year the 9ers went to the Superbowl he would have got jobs - but the problem was that teams were reluctant to wait. The ideal scenario for Roman is the Bills offense is top half of the league and helps the team make the play-offs but they are out by Divisional weekend at the latest. In that scenario he is gone in my opinion. The Redskins are an interesting possibility - the Bengals also could be if Lewis finally gets the chop. They are in a division where Roman's tough physical running game would be a good fit.

The best thing the Bills could do is have a succession plan in place to have a current assistant in place to take over with the same offense if roman leaves. Would suck to have to bring in some high profile guy who tosses everything out to run his own offense ( all this assumes Romans offense was incredibly successful of course)

agree

He wasn't one of the top people interviewed for HC in 2015, in fact his only HC interview was in Buffalo. He interviewed for OC in Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and St. Louis. Previous to that his only HC interview was with Minnesota, who ended up going with Mike Zimmer. There were much more sought after offensive guys last year like Gase, Bevell and Kubiak.

I think it might be tough for Roman to get a HC job next year because I believe there are a lot of guys he would have to leap frog for it to happen. I think right now Gase may be the most sought after OC for a HC job, especially if he preforms well in Chicago. He turned down the 49ers job reportedly because he couldn't pick his own DC. He's followed closely by Josh McDaniel. I also think if Pat Schumer does well in Philly with Sam Bradford he will be a hot candidate. Then you've got guys like Hue Jackson, Pep Hamilton, Kevin Sumlin and even, ugh hurts to type this, Doug Marrone.

So which HC jobs could be open next season? I think Washington could be one, Jacksonville could be another. If the Giants don't preform well it could be another. I could also see Miami parting ways with Joe Philbin if they don't make the playoffs. I think Marrone has positioned himself in Jacksonville on purpose and would be very high up on the list to be the next coach there. I could see the Giants going internal, with maybe Ben McAdoo or maybe going with a defensive coach. Not sure what Miami would do. Washington is the real wild card because who knows what Daniel Snyder is thinking.

I suppose a situation like Mike Pettine could present itself next year, crazy owner who can't make up his mind and hires the last guy standing. That guy could be Roman but IMO I think there a quite a few guys, offensively, that are ahead of him at the moment and he would have to have a really really strong offensive year.

Great post sums up my thoughts as well.

Roman may be candidate for Pettine's job next year...

ANd can we link this the "Schwartz will be a HC next year so enjoy him now" threads from a year ago?

Yes he made the HC interview circuit a couple of times. Not sure if teams thoughts were that he just wasn't ready yet or that he wasn't HC material. If he has success here you have to think that teams talk to him again.

He wasn't one of the top people interviewed for HC in 2015, in fact his only HC interview was in Buffalo. He interviewed for OC in Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and St. Louis. Previous to that his only HC interview was with Minnesota, who ended up going with Mike Zimmer. There were much more sought after offensive guys last year like Gase, Bevell and Kubiak

You would be correct sir.

This~!

Lets get a few games into the season before we judge Roman in any way. Will the QB situation be successful? Will the O line look as strong as it has in pre season to protect the QB, and make that ground n pound work?

As we all know pre season is all vanilla, and DC's as well as OC's don't implement their full defense / offense till that first whistle in the opening game.

we should know a lot about the offense after the first two games. Indy might have a weak O line but they still have one of the best young QB's in the game in Andrew Luck. Will the Bills offense be able to keep pace should the Colts offense, as they averaged 406 yards a game last year.

Then in week two after the half when Bilcheat makes his halftime adjustments will TT still look as good? Time will tell.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/11/28/jed-yorks-tweet-provokes-fans-to-call-for-greg-romans-job/

I think those 49ers fans are morons as the last three years, the 49ers offense was in the Top 5.

Thoughts?

My thought is you should read more transcripts and less headlines. The line about the "QB purgatory" was taken out of context and exaggerated by media.

I think those 49ers fans are morons as the last three years, the 49ers offense was in the Top 5.

Last year the 49ers offense was 25th in points for, and 20th in yards. They were 30th in passing, 4th overall in rushing yards, That was with Kaepernick at QB, Frank Gore at RB, Vernon Davis at TE, Anquan Bolden & Michael Crabtree at WR. they finished at 8-8

in 2013 they were 11th in points for, and 24th in yards.

in 2012 they were 11th in points for, and 11th in yards

in 2011 they were 11th in points for, and 26th in yards.

I think you were thinking of their defense, or in rushing yards as they have been a top 5 unit in rushes over the last 3 years.