is Ray Rice coming to Buffalo for a look-see?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we were to sign Rice, we'd have the puncher, the dragger, and the guy who is trying hard to become incognito. What a cast of characters. All we'd need is a paroled murderer to square the circle. Almost forgot that we also have a coach who jumps out of perfectly good airplanes.

It all matters not so long as we win.

do you ever hear a GM say they are a dime a dozen?

It's not a position of great importance anymore. It's now a passing league. Only 9 have been taken in the first round over that last 6 seasons, and to directly answer your question, no I haven't. I also haven't heard them say that about any position to be honest with you...

Why hate? He took his punishment and then some. Im not for hitting women but theres always more to a story and he took his lumps and never devulged the other side.

There is no "other side" of anything that excuses what Rice did. I don't often speak in absolutes, but that is the only correct way to assess this situation.

YES PLEASE! Its about time just hope he is in shape-i dont expect football shape but he can get there in 3 weeks

Why hate? He took his punishment and then some. Im not for hitting women but theres always more to a story and he took his lumps and never devulged the other side.

There is no other side. He knocked a woman (whom he professes to love) out cold. Unless she had a gun, knife, or baseball bat, there is no reason.

Another poster keeps referencing reading up on men who abuse women. I'm pretty fluent in it, I have men in my family who were never much man at all, and abused women. It isn't an accident, it isn't isolated. It's sick.

My point is, if he was really working a program working on his DV, he never ever would have allowed his wife to apologize. Even if that was pre-"rehabilitation", he would apologize for allowing her to do that.

The two sides to this story you reference are:

1. Ray Rice punched his wife in the face

2. Ray Rice is a terrible human being who doesn't deserve a good woman in his life.

Whether he should be able to seek employment in the NFL is a separate conversation. But those points aren't debatable.

It's not a position of great importance anymore. It's now a passing league. Only 9 have been taken in the first round over that last 6 seasons, and to directly answer your question, no I haven't. I also haven't heard them say that about any position to be honest with you...

it is a position of great importance when you don't have a good QB or threat of a passing game. If you have these things, quality of RB becomes less important .

The team doesn't need the distraction. Just sign another player off the street.

time to update the thread title or close this thread. Since it was posted, the Bills have already signed a RB, it wasnt Ray, and multiple sources close to the Bills have ruled out that he is in the conversation. Edited by YoloinOhio

It may be a passing league but we're a running team.

When you don't have a marquee QB, you need a marquee RB.

There is no "other side" of anything that excuses what Rice did. I don't often speak in absolutes, but that is the only correct way to assess this situation.

How about this side:

They ARE married. The NFL teams are hurting HER by not letting him play.

This is so obvious but never mentioned.

How about this side:

It was mentioned a few times already in this thread and it's just as stupid this time as it was those other times. Edited by Pondslider

How about this side:

It was mentioned a few times already in this thread and it's just as stupid this time as it was those other times.

Correct. The moment you believe "all is well" in a domestic violence situation simply because the victim has "forgiven" the aggressor, you've already missed the boat.

@john_wawrow

Oh, and you folks can stop all the speculation. Ray Rice is not in the #Bills plans. Period.

Thank god.

Correct. The moment you believe "all is well" in a domestic violence situation simply because the victim has "forgiven" the aggressor, you've already missed the boat.

This.

I am under no illusions that these guys are choirboys, that there aren't abusers on the team right now, that domestic violence isn't a problem that every team is dealing with.

Even so, there is public evidence of a malicious assault of his girlfriend and now-wife, and the legal system did zero to punish him. I don't begrudge him his right to earn a living, but I feel like seeing my team reward him is a bridge too far. Furthermore, it could be argued that the only reason he wasn't punished is because of his football ability. I don't want to explain to my two girls that "it's complicated," and that I root for this guy even though I hate what he did because of the jersey he wears. I'd assume give up football for the year.

Who would be the "other guy from the street"? As I have seen a few posts suggesting that.

I say just throw the damn ball for crying out loud! Let Tyrod and EJ take the snaps and see where it goes. If Cassel is our first rounder don't risk him in a silly preseason

Thank god.

This.

I am under no illusions that these guys are choirboys, that there aren't abusers on the team right now, that domestic violence isn't a problem that every team is dealing with.

Even so, there is public evidence of a malicious assault of his girlfriend and now-wife, and the legal system did zero to punish him. I don't begrudge him his right to earn a living, but I feel like seeing my team reward him is a bridge too far. Furthermore, it could be argued that the only reason he wasn't punished is because of his football ability. I don't want to explain to my two girls that "it's complicated," and that I root for this guy even though I hate what he did because of the jersey he wears. I'd assume give up football for the year.

This is just patently false. Rice got a pre-trial intervention which required him to participate in anger management counseling and be on probation for a period of time. This isn't at all uncommon. What actually is uncommon is that this was a pre-trial intervention involving a violent crime. But, once again, we have the exception to the rule, when Rice's fiance is the one begging the court for leniency. As for punishment by the NFL, he was cut by the Ravens and didn't see a football field for a year. He paid a significant financial price, albeit not a prison sentence. I think what he did is 100% wrong, but don't believe it's responsible to say that he wasn't punished because he was a star in the NFL. He had a stellar legal team that knew how to approach the court system and a fiance that was willing to fight for him to keep him out of jail.

This is just patently false. Rice got a pre-trial intervention which required him to participate in anger management counseling and be on probation for a period of time. This isn't at all uncommon. What actually is uncommon is that this was a pre-trial intervention involving a violent crime. But, once again, we have the exception to the rule, when Rice's fiance is the one begging the court for leniency. As for punishment by the NFL, he was cut by the Ravens and didn't see a football field for a year. He paid a significant financial price, albeit not a prison sentence. I think what he did is 100% wrong, but don't believe it's responsible to say that he wasn't punished because he was a star in the NFL. He had a stellar legal team that knew how to approach the court system and a fiance that was willing to fight for him to keep him out of jail.

Remind me of how one gets a stellar legal team?

Who would be the "other guy from the street"? As I have seen a few posts suggesting that.

I say just throw the damn ball for crying out loud! Let Tyrod and EJ take the snaps and see where it goes. If Cassel is our first rounder don't risk him in a silly preseason

Cierre Wood

Seriously? But we may have 4/5 plus a FB on our team, but it's not important.

My two cents. This team has granted second chances to some players and that's ok. However in my view, you're truly crossing a line if they would sign Rice. This "man" cold cocked his fiancée in an elevator and it was caught on video. To me this shows a few things. One, he's incredibly stupid to think it wouldn't be on camera, or two, he didn't care. If he did that in public, who knows what he's capable of behind closed doors? Also for those arguing that the league has taken away his ability to make money, he could go do any job he wants. Except in the NFL, who have chosen to not allow him the PRIVILEGE to play in their league and make money off of them. He can go work at a bank, a pizzeria, the mall or the zoo. He's more than capable and has the ability to make money so I don't buy that the league is punishing him and his wife by not allowing him to work. Also, as someone else mentioned, for those of you with kids, how do you explain to them how you can root for him because he plays for your team? Because winning is all that matters? What about teaching children right from wrong? Oh he's a Bill so we want him to win us games? I can't accept that. I'm glad the Bills are passing on him, and if Rice has to be the first player "blacklisted" in the modern age for his actions, I can only hope others who do senseless acts of violence and such will follow suit and be blacklisted from the league.

I like Cierre Wood, thought he was underrated at Notre Dame. I'd be happy to see him in camp.

Rice would be good too; dude's only 28.

Wood the pot head ? alright i am cool with that too man. i am actually

Rice? WTH not? screw the moral majority.

Can he play QB ?

Why not just make Mulligan a running back for a couple weeks. He is good for **** at anything else based on his performance in the first preseason game.

Or just find some skinny little effer from the practice squad and ask him if he wants to play RB........next man up......getter done...

My two cents. This team has granted second chances to some players and that's ok. However in my view, you're truly crossing a line if they would sign Rice. This "man" cold cocked his fiancée in an elevator and it was caught on video. To me this shows a few things. One, he's incredibly stupid to think it wouldn't be on camera, or two, he didn't care. If he did that in public, who knows what he's capable of behind closed doors? Also for those arguing that the league has taken away his ability to make money, he could go do any job he wants. Except in the NFL, who have chosen to not allow him the PRIVILEGE to play in their league and make money off of them. He can go work at a bank, a pizzeria, the mall or the zoo. He's more than capable and has the ability to make money so I don't buy that the league is punishing him and his wife by not allowing him to work. Also, as someone else mentioned, for those of you with kids, how do you explain to them how you can root for him because he plays for your team? Because winning is all that matters? What about teaching children right from wrong? Oh he's a Bill so we want him to win us games? I can't accept that. I'm glad the Bills are passing on him, and if Rice has to be the first player "blacklisted" in the modern age for his actions, I can only hope others who do senseless acts of violence and such will follow suit and be blacklisted from the league.

So if someone at a bank punches out their fiancee they shouldn't be allowed to work at a bank every again - but should be allowed in the NFL?

Even the USA Today female reporter who initially bashed Rice (rightfully so) has written he deserves another chance, given his actions since the incident. The Bills have a perfect built in excuse and could rationalize the scenario to bring him given our top 5 RB's are out with injuries. Yes, RB1 to RB5 are currently out, what else to do?

Even the USA Today female reporter who initially bashed Rice (rightfully so) has written he deserves another chance, given his actions since the incident. The Bills have a perfect built in excuse and could rationalize the scenario to bring him given our top 5 RB's are out with injuries. Yes, RB1 to RB5 are currently out, what else to do?

It will be alright, come game one. Everybody will be good to go.

So if someone at a bank punches out their fiancee they shouldn't be allowed to work at a bank every again - but should be allowed in the NFL?

Someone working at a bank isn't the same scenario. The NFL has very specific skills and talents needed to play at their level. It is truly a privilege to play in the NFL because regardless of if you're player 53 or player 1 on a roster you're in a very small population segment. That segment is the team and the NFL and money they make relies in part( regardless of how big or small) on the fans purchasing tickets and merchandise, so the teams in the NFL stand to lose a segment of their fan base by signing someone who is on video knocking his fiancée out with a punch.

My point was aimed at the people who act like it's an inconvenience and they aren't allowing him to make money. Again it's a privilege to play in the NFL not a right. He can use his college degree to get a job in his field. The NFL is not his only option to generate income.

and the first touchdown Rice scores as a Buffalo Bill will show all the haters dry humping each other in the stands.....

I have season tickets and the only two times I seriously considered giving up my tickets would be if the Bills had signed Michael Vick or if the Bills signed Ray Rice. There are things in life bigger than football.

I have season tickets and the only two times I seriously considered giving up my tickets would be if the Bills had signed Michael Vick or if the Bills signed Ray Rice. There are things in life bigger than football.

What do Mike Vic and Ray Rice have in common?

They both like to fight with their bitches! Boom! You're welcome. Good night.....

Lame yes.....I just can't help myself.....It was a soft pitch....