CJ Spiller a Superstar?

I agree that we didn't use him right. I said throughout the last two seasons that he is the prototype 3rd down back and everyone here would say "...but Fred's blocking...spiller can't block". Drove me nuts. I guarantee spiller ups his reputation hugely this year. The saints will use him correctly and he will be the guy that Brees points to after the saints win the division. Class guy and I couldn't be happier for him that he's going to be able to do what he does best.

He was a horrible blocker.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller doesn't have great vision. On the other hand, he's a remarkable athlete. I think Payton will know how to use him and CJ will be very productive this year. And because I like CJ, I hope I'm right.

Bucky Brooks, after talking to some NFL colleagues, rated Roman the 6th best OC in the NFL. Yet, I'm not sure Roman could use CJ effectively as Payton. We're probably better off with Shady no matter how many all-purpose yards CJ gets with NO.

I would gladly take odds on the less safe bet if you have them. Spiller got paroled from a crappy offensive coaching staff to one of the best in the NFL. It sucks because he is a great dude but the McCoy trade was the best thing to ever happen to his career.

Payton, who has had real success in the NFL, caters to his players' strengths. Crazy concept I know. Spiller is the best all around rb Payton has ever had. Sproles was a bit player before NO. Barring injury, a real concern for Spiller, he will have a monster year. And it will be another strike against what a joke our offense was under Marrone.

Ha, yes, I'm well aware of your opinion on this issue.

Sproles was really good in SD.

Also Philly.

Sproles is a much better player than CJ.

Biscuit can point to all the stats he wants, but I've watched the two guys play. It's not close.

I liked Spiller as well, just never lived up to the 7th overall pick level, probably mostly due to coaching and use. However, he was NEVER an every down back,

o Seemed to get banged up a lot, and never really carried much of a load.

o He did have the one good season under Gailey. Great in space, but didn't seem to

break a lot of tackles.

o Didn't have good field vision it seemed to me, and ran out of bounds a lot. IMO

He did seem to catch very well, and was a really good 3rd down option. But SUPERSTAR? Not really seeing that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13203/cj-spiller

Nfl.com suggests Spiller will enter the upper echelon of talent this year. It wouldn't surprise me as our coaching staff had zero clue as to how to use him. In fact it's amazing that Hackett has a job at all. Still, as I root for the dude to do well, it will be bittersweet if this happens.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498478/article/the-superstar-club-in-2015-who-arrives-who-leaves

Just a speculative piece of writing. I have never thought that highly of Spiller. He had one good season in Buffalo. He is a fast role player not an every down back.

I think he will be the Reggie Bush/Sproles back for that offense and be very successful at it. They still have Ingram as the power back and I think they want to keep Spiller healthy and fresh in a passing down role. As far as superstar I don't think he can handle a full time work load and the Saints won't give him the touches needed to put up !@#$ed up stats. But they will give him enough opportunity to be a potent weapon in that offense.

I liked Spiller as well, just never lived up to the 7th overall pick level, probably mostly due to coaching and use. However, he was NEVER an every down back,

o Seemed to get banged up a lot, and never really carried much of a load.

o He did have the one good season under Gailey. Great in space, but didn't seem to

break a lot of tackles.

o Didn't have good field vision it seemed to me, and ran out of bounds a lot. IMO

He did seem to catch very well, and was a really good 3rd down option. But SUPERSTAR? Not really seeing that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13203/cj-spiller

You're right. CJ isn't very powerful and doesn't break a lot of tackles. But that one year, he did successfully run away from a lot of tackles.

I'm sure Payton's plan will be to get CJ into space and I think Payton's bright enough to figure out how to do it.

CJ won't be among the rushing leaders. But he might be among the leaders in all-purpose yards if they use him on returns and he stays healthy.

You're right. CJ isn't very powerful and doesn't break a lot of tackles. But that one year, he did successfully run away from a lot of tackles.

I'm sure Payton's plan will be to get CJ into space and I think Payton's bright enough to figure out how to do it.

CJ won't be among the rushing leaders. But he might be among the leaders in all-purpose yards if they use him on returns and he stays healthy.

If.

Also Philly.

Biscuit can point to all the stats he wants, but I've watched the two guys play. It's not close.

Haha. Shocking one of Marrone's biggest defenders tries to put down Spiller. I love the whole stats don't count argument when someone can't prove anything.

But Sean Payton and Chip Kelly are thought of on the same level as Doug Marrone around the league as elite offensive coaches. :)

I think you're right. He averaged 10.7 yards/rec in 2012, which seems crazy to me for a back.

Haha. Shocking one of Marrone's biggest defenders tries to put down Spiller. I love the whole stats don't count argument when someone can't prove anything.

But Sean Payton and Chip Kelly are thought of on the same level as Doug Marrone around the league as elite offensive coaches. :)

Prove. There's that word again. As if.

He was a horrible blocker.

Bull crap! He wasn't great his rookie year, but he improved mightily. Few featured RBs are good at blocking in the NFL when they first get there.

Maroon let him get back on the field AFTER HE BROKE HIS !@#$ING COLLAR BONE! Sweet Jesus, if YOU had a broken collar bone you wouldn't block for **** either.

Nfl.com suggests Spiller will enter the upper echelon of talent this year. It wouldn't surprise me as our coaching staff had zero clue as to how to use him. In fact it's amazing that Hackett has a job at all. Still, as I root for the dude to do well, it will be bittersweet if this happens.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000498478/article/the-superstar-club-in-2015-who-arrives-who-leaves

Could be. He was stuck with the team during RCW's last years when all the coaches were 2nd tier lame ducks.. timing is everything. I just hope the Eric Wood's and Fred Jacksons of the world get to taste some top tier NFL action before they are done.. they have wasted their NFL careers so far while the franchise was in a holding pattern waiting for stable/committed ownership, but they have some time left..

Class act and likable guy. Just not the type of RB that wins you games. Sure he'll break an 80 yard run once every few games, and on 3rd and 1 he'll get you negative 2 because he bounces outside after running into the guard. He was never in on third down because he couldn't pick up a blitz.

It's funny how people always bring up how he was misused. True when you tried to use him like a running back, it doesn't work.

He is a sweep and screen/swing pass guy. That's it. Good defenses bottled him up pretty well. if your o line isn't mobile or your opponent sets the edge cj is a pretty pedestrian player.

Mrags says that this will be his breakout season.... Thinks he will become an all around back and possibly lead the league in yards and/or touchdowns....Just thought you guys would be pleased to hear that he's come around...

Ha!

Bull crap! He wasn't great his rookie year, but he improved mightily. Few featured RBs are good at blocking in the NFL when they first get there.

Maroon let him get back on the field AFTER HE BROKE HIS !@#$ING COLLAR BONE! Sweet Jesus, if YOU had a broken collar bone you wouldn't block for **** either.

Broken collar bone here?

http://www.patriots.com/video/2014/12/28/highlight-q2-kyle-orton-fumbles-patriots-recover

Let it rain down from the mountaintops.

http://www.patriots.com/video/2014/12/28/highlight-q2-kyle-orton-fumbles-patriots-recover

doh! That's the CJ we know. I doubt the Saints will be depending on him to block, if they are smart. Edited by YoloinOhio

I hope it doesn't happen, but if he were to get hurt, maybe the Saints would leave our FA's alone for a change! Last year didn't go too well...

Also Philly.

This is about right. Spiller was never comparable to Sproles.

Spiller isn't going to be a superstar next season. He will unlikely play 16 games...

They also said last year that Stephon Gilmore would enter the conversation with Revis, Sherman and Peterson.

It wasn't just Marrone and Hackett who had no clue how to use him, it was every coach he ever had in Buffalo.

Alonso was our biggest loss this off season and we will rue the day we did that trade.

The defense IMPROVED without Kiko Alonso and his glass knees.

Nigel Bradham is, always was and always will be the better NFL LB.

Spiller meant a hell of a lot more to the Bills than Alonso could even dream of. I hope Spiller has an MVP-type year. Alonso ... Will never amount to anything, although I wish him no ill will. He will always hold the titles of Most Over-Hyped and Most Overrated Bills of all time. So he's got that.

Would have to agree wholeheartedly.

I don't think so. I like Spiller a lot, but just being honest about him. He's really a terrible blocker.

But I do agree that if I had a broken collar bone I wouldn't be blocking 250lb linebackers.

@RQUINN619: CJ Spiller had 78 carries for 300 yards last year. 122 of those yards (40.7%) came on just 3 of those carries.

Quinn's homework assignment: what percentage of yards do most backs get on their top 5% of carries? What's spiller done in past years?

Talk about an obscure stat that's worthless without context to benchmark it to

Edited by NoSaint

I seriously doubt it, but if anyone can do it it's Peyton.

Edited by vincec

Quinn's homework assignment: what percentage of yards do most backs get on their top 5% of carries? What's spiller done in past years?

Nosaint you've piqued my interest. I think this would be worthwile data to look at. I would like to see a histogram of CJ's carries versus the typical back. I would imagine CJ's median is much lower than someone like Sproles. On that same note I think the data sets on CJ's carries under Gailey and under Marrone would be great to look at as well (and probably more relevant to TBD discussions). Anyone know where this data would exist?

Edited by YattaOkasan

Lolz at the Spiller haters. Get your last shots in. Not as good as sproles ? Time to calibrate those eye tests.

Not gonna be much talking when Spillers catching screens and ripping it up for fantasy owners next year. Lock it down !

I've been told to "lock down" Spiller dominating fantasy for 3 years in a row. Fool me 3 times?

It's not worthless in the sense that the guy is almost as half as effective as he appears to be.

Edited by FireChan

I've been told to "lock down" Spiller dominating fantasy for 3 years in a row. Fool me 3 times?

It's not worthless in the sense that the guy is almost as half as effective as he appears to be.

You've nailed the knee jerk reaction he was going for

Whether you've been completely duped into buying total junk or only kind of manipulated into using questionable stuff that suits your desires.....

78 carries is a small sample, came in questionable scheme, carried injury effects and still has no benchmarking. Obviously any back gets far more than 5% of his yards on their top 5% of carries and I would think despite your over the top campaigns you would acknowledge your last statement as hyperbole at best and intentionally misrepresenting a stat at worst.

Just for curiousity sake--

Lesean McCoy has 47 runs over 20 yards- many of those 40+..... If you stab randomly that those 47 average out to 30 yards each that's nearly 1500 yards on under 3% of his career carries as a really quick and dirty bar napkin guesstimate

One year he had 5 runs of 40+ and only produced 1080 yards. That's a 200 carry year.

Edited by NoSaint

You've nailed the knee jerk reaction he was going for

Whether you've been completely duped into buying total junk or only kind of manipulated into using questionable stuff that suits your desires.....

78 carries is a small sample, came in questionable scheme, carried injury effects and still has no benchmarking. Obviously any back gets far more than 5% of his yards on their top 5% of carries and I would think despite your over the top campaigns you would acknowledge your last statement as hyperbole at best and intentionally misrepresenting a stat at worst.

I think most backs get more than 5% of their yards on 5% of their carries. I don't think most good backs get 40% of their yards on 5% of their carries.

As to my hyperbole, the stat merely reiterates what I've argued to death about CJ Spiller. He is the definition of inconsistent as a running back. Getting 40% of your yards on 3 carries is NOT good as an RB. It makes you a weapon to be used sparingly. He is unable to grind out any sort of significant positive yardage. And that doesn't even touch upon his inability to block any defender, his low football IQ and poor vision.

At the end of the day, he's a below average football player with great physical gifts. He will be unemployed or one of the worst RB's in the NFL when he loses a "step."