Brady to be SUSPENDED next week according to report

Supposedly Brady is being suspended according to the NY Daily News! Looks like they are tying to decide on the length.

Personally, I think its a little wishy washy to suspend when the findings were "more than likely" or "probably knew", but love the Pats drama none the less. I still feel like the offense was minor in the first place, and a fine is more appropriate...but I would assume the suspension is not going to be about the actual air pressure in the footballs, but more about Tom not being truthful about what or who he knows.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/myers-roger-goodell-suspend-tom-brady-deflategate-article-1.2215881

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly Brady is being suspended according to the NY Daily News! Looks like they are tying to decide on the length.

Personally, I think its a little wishy washy to suspend when the findings were "more than likely" or "probably knew", but love the Pats drama none the less. I still feel like the offense was minor in the first place, and a fine is more appropriate...but I would assume the suspension is not going to be about the actual air pressure in the footballs, but more about Tom not being truthful about what or who he knows.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/myers-roger-goodell-suspend-tom-brady-deflategate-article-1.2215881

Oh my goodness, for the last time, PREPONDERANCE OF EVIDENCE. That's the standard used here. It literally means if it's at all over a 50% chance he's guilty, then he's GUILTY. A standard is a standard. It was met and then some, I don't anyone can disagree based on this particular standard.

Edited by ko12010

No sh--!

I remain skeptical, but that would be something.

That said, cheat, win SB, lose a couple game checks? Big deal in the grand scheme.

I want to see this guy's reputation forever tarnished.

Exactly. What's it matter since he got what he wanted in the end. Strip the SB title from the Pats, and obviously Brady's MVP, fine, loss of a draft pick, and Brady out for the season. Belicheck should also be out for the season like Payton was in NO.

I would expect a NYC-based reporter like Gary Meyers to have the scoop on this, given the sources he probably has at the league office.

What's interesting is by handing down the ruling next week and tipping off the media now, it will have MAXIMUM coverage--which is quite the penalty in and of itself for Brady and the Pats.

They could have dropped the hammer tonight when the media were all hitting their favorite wateringholes and had less of a Ka-boom event...

Edited by Lurker

i think you hit it.. he is such an egomaniac that it will cost him.had he just been forthright, cooperative, as many have said, i think the punishment would be less harsh .. but given the fact that the organization has caused the league some cred problems, and now brady being essentially a richard about it all.. you got to come down.

The way the title reads is that he's suspended for next week... and I chuckled, because that'd be fitting.

I thought the same thing. "The NFL has suspended Tom Brady from all team activities for the month of May"

I bet 4 games. That gives them 2 potential wins with the Steelers in the lions den week 1 and the Jags week 3 then puts him back right in time for Pats-Colts on prime time.

i think you hit it.. he is such an egomaniac that it will cost him.had he just been forthright, cooperative, as many have said, i think the punishment would be less harsh .. but given the fact that the organization has caused the league some cred problems, and now brady being essentially a richard about it all.. you got to come down.

Exactly

The preponderance of circumstantial evidence is more than sufficient. Aaron Hernandez is in jail for life on circumstantial evidence. The texts alone are just damning. He participated in a conspiracy and quid pro quo to cheat. Brady pressured two subservient employees to help him cheat. He lied and hindered the investigation and He deserves 6 games on the bench as a repeat offender.He is forever tarnished as a liar and a cheat,

There is really zero reason he should win any appeal. He has no legitimate defense. There is a decent possibility that the NFL would prefer that so it looks like they were hard on him, and yet only lose him for awhile. I now think he gets 8 games, appeals, and it is cut in half to four, even though that is a stupid way to dole out punishment.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

The preponderance of circumstantial evidence is more than sufficient. Aaron Hernandez is in jail for life on circumstantial evidence. The texts alone are just damning. He participated in a conspiracy and quid pro quo to cheat. Brady pressured two subservient employees to help him cheat. He lied and hindered the investigation and He deserves 6 games on the bench as a repeat offender.He is forever tarnished as a liar and a cheat,

I just don't see how his lying and not cooperating deserves less than Anthony Hargrove for Bountygate. Hargrove apparently didn't have any involvement in that other than knowing about it, lying to the NFL, and not cooperating with the investigation. He got a year long suspension, I believe. Why should Brady, as a player on a team that is a repeat offender, not get the same or worse? It should one year

I just don't see how his lying and not cooperating deserves less than Anthony Hargrove for Bountygate. Hargrove apparently didn't have any involvement in that other than knowing about it, lying to the NFL, and not cooperating with the investigation. He got a year long suspension, I believe. Why should Brady, as a player on a team that is a repeat offender, not get the same or worse? It should one year

Very good points.

So he gets suspended - his agent will appeal and wa-la suspension overturned...I admit the NFL is in between a rock and a hard place right now: uphold the integrity of the game and suspend their glamour boy or do the right thing and punish him....suspending and then relenting on appeal is the best case scenario for the NFL. Makes 'em look tough while not actually having to hurt their star player...

I hope they get hit hard and heavy. The Pats have a long history of doing sketchy things. From silicone on jerseys, opening the door in the endzone during field goals to create sudden wind, snow blowers, the list goes on and on. I'm tired of their sketchy shite

So he gets suspended - his agent will appeal and wa-la suspension overturned...I admit the NFL is in between a rock and a hard place right now: uphold the integrity of the game and suspend their glamour boy or do the right thing and punish him....suspending and then relenting on appeal is the best case scenario for the NFL. Makes 'em look tough while not actually having to hurt their star player...

I honestly think they're ready to move on from Brady. He's 38 going on 39. He doesn't have much time left as a 'star' anyway. I think they're going to take advantage of that and hit him hard. They've milked his star power for 15 years now. They can get some great goodwill with the public by giving a proper punishment. I hope the 6-8 rumors aren't true and it's at least 1 year.

The NFLPA...not the agent...will be the one to get his suspension reduced, if at all.

It will be interersting to see how that plays out, seeing that Brady didn't want their help earler in the investigation...

Edited by Lurker

The NFLPA...not the agent...will be the one to get his suspension reduced, if at all.

It will be interersting to see how that plays out, seeing that Brady didn't want their help earler in the investigation...

You may end up being right about the NFLPA becoming involved, but I think I read that Brady has chosen to not use the NFLPA in favor of using his own people (at least until now).

I wonder if that is because of any conflict given that the NFLPA (in theory) also represents all of the players that played on teams Brady played against while bending the rules.

The NFL would look way worse if they suspended him, it was appealed, and they reversed the suspension to no games than they would if they didnt suspend him at all. That ain't gonna happen IMO.

There really isn't much to appeal honestly. Brady gets to the appeal and says what? "Yea sorry I didn't give you my phone"

If this does happen, the best part is that it is officially part of his legacy. Of course there was conjecture before, but this is something that will directly stick to him. I don't hate him as much as many on this board, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't taking pleasure in all of this.

Oh my goodness, for the last time, PREPONDERANCE OF EVIDENCE. That's the standard used here. It literally means if it's at all over a 50% chance he's guilty, then he's GUILTY. A standard is a standard. It was met and then some, I don't anyone can disagree based on this particular standard.

Yes, and Bill Polian was on Mike and Mike saying that "more probable than not" is standard phrasing that the NFL uses in these reports in order to say that that standard has been met. In other words, "more probable than not" is there way of saying "guilty" based on their standard. It is not "dubious" wording in the way that Brady's agent, among others, has tried to characterize it.

I think that Tommy really angered the league with this. He put them in a weird place. Even if they don't want Brady suspended the whole country is demanding it. They need to do it.

Plus I'm sure some players and the whole Saints organization will be pissed if nothing happens.

Yes, and Bill Polian was on Mike and Mike saying that "more probable than not" is standard phrasing that the NFL uses in these reports in order to say that that standard has been met. In other words, "more probable than not" is there way of saying "guilty" based on their standard. It is not "dubious" wording in the way that Brady's agent, among others, has tried to characterize it.

Yeah, this is so frustrating because so many people are getting confused by this phrasing. I wish the Wells report and every media outlet reporting on it put a big disclaimer what that phrasing means and why they use it. I can't tell you how many Pats fans and apologists are holding onto this phrase acting like Wells is just guessing. :wallbash:

Plus I'm sure some players and the whole Saints organization will be pissed if nothing happens.

I'll be so mad if Brady gets less than a year. The Saints thing really set a precedent for what happens when you lie to the NFL and impede their attempt to investigate. If they give him less than a year they're just proving yet again they're incompetent with meting out punishment.

this is a great point, but (being a conspiracy theorist) it makes me wonder: has the league, since then, paid hargrove an excessive amount of money to keep silent? because if I was hargrove, and brady got anything less than a year, i would sue the league into oblivion for all maters of lost wages, lost endorsements, defamation of character, racism(?), etc. etc. etc. it doesnt matter if theyre part of a players union... there is not a court in the world that would throw that case out. hargrove WOULD win, so the only reason hes not pursuing litigation in this case would have to be because of a payoff... right?

There really isn't much to appeal honestly. Brady gets to the appeal and says what? "Yea sorry I didn't give you my phone"

Exactly. He had a chance to make his case and he decided not to. He shouldn't get a second chance simply because he underestimated how he would get treated for lying and cheating.