Brady to be SUSPENDED next week according to report

Even notice how the "likes" and "dislikes" on PFT have shifted over the past two days....

Before, everyone was piling on the Patriots*

Now, almost every comment critical of New England* has far more dislikes than likes, and anything suggesting they are the victims and attacking Goodell has all the likes.

This is what PR firms do. they have armies of people who go online and 5 star reviews, "like" or "dislike" comments or posts, sign up for message boards, etc.

It seems to be working. The "bad guy" seems to the commissioner, rather than Brady now.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even notice how the "likes" and "dislikes" on PFT have shifted over the past two days....

Now, almost every comment critical of New England* has far more dislikes than likes, and anything suggesting they are the victims and attacking Goodell has all the likes.

This is what PR firms do. they have armies of people who go online and 5 star reviews, "like" or "dislike" comments or posts, sign up for message boards, etc.

It seems to be working. The "bad guy" seems to the commissioner, rather than Brady now.

Some of the facts in the report also are helping to turn that around. The latest about how according to Walt Anderson the balls were probably not tampered with is looking like the most important piece.

It's NOT a coincidence.

This same thing seems to happen with every hot-button issue on PFT.

The one I remember being just like this was the CBA negotiations a few years back. Nearly every fan sided with the owners at the beginning of the lockout. Then, slowly but surely, the "thumbs up" vs. "thumbs down" began to shift dramatically, as did the rhetoric from PFT-produced content. It snow-balled until there was an actual item post from PFT accusing the NFL of flooding the comments section with league PR lackeys.

It's NOT a coincidence.

This same thing seems to happen with every hot-button issue on PFT.

The one I remember being just like this was the CBA negotiations a few years back. Nearly every fan sided with the owners at the beginning of the lockout. Then, slowly but surely, the "thumbs up" vs. "thumbs down" began to shift dramatically, as did the rhetoric from PFT-produced content. It snow-balled until there was an actual item post from PFT accusing the NFL of flooding the comments section with league PR lackeys.

I don't think it's a plot as much as Florio's approach of applying legal analysis of evidence has led him to believe that the case would be pretty shaky in a court of law. In a court of law, Brady would win with ease, especially given all of the problems with the report. But it's not in a court of law, of course.

He'll be suspended.

Only a fool would bet on what Goodell will do when it comes to discipline.

Unless you're betting he !@#$s it up. I'll put $10 on that.

I don't think it's a plot as much as Florio's approach of applying legal analysis of evidence has led him to believe that the case would be pretty shaky in a court of law. In a court of law, Brady would win with ease, especially given all of the problems with the report. But it's not in a court of law, of course.

He'll be suspended.

And even Florio's approach is wrong. If this were happening in a court of law, Brady could be charged with obstruction of justice and possibly contempt of court.

He'll be suspended.

Not sure I agree with that. If it's a criminal case, then yeah, Brady would never be found guilty of tampering etc.

If it's a civil case to assign damages for liability, I think there's a really good chance that he'd be found liable. As I said before, there's a preponderance of evidence pointing to both tampering and Brady having knowledge of it.

Yep. Can't escape the fact that he refused to cooperate, which shows guilt. He'll get suspended for that alone. And while Wells couldn't unequivocally state that Brady was behind it, because of his lack of cooperation, it's obvious it came from him.

Edited by Doc

Fair point, but unlike the Pats these other teams were caught red-handed on camera. Big difference.

They did break the rules. But the ball boys are allowed hand heaters. They are not allowed to use big heaters apparently. And no one was trying to hide anything. If anything they were trying to get the balls more normal. ;) I think that's a pretty big difference.

Someday the Pats* will go back to being a joke and all Pats* fans will want to talk about will be the past.

Think about how good the 49ers were seemingly forever with Montana then Young.

Now they are a complete joke coached by one of the 3 stooges.

Heck, I remember when Joe Montana was the greatest QB of all time.

I'm looking forward to NE* just being another team.

Unless you're betting he !@#$s it up. I'll put $10 on that.

And even Florio's approach is wrong. If this were happening in a court of law, Brady could be charged with obstruction of justice and possibly contempt of court.

If it was a court of law, Brady would have handed over the phone. Whether there's anything on it I don't know, but given that the the two flunkies didn't have anything truly incriminating from him on their own phones, I think there's a decent chance that nothing is there. The case IS shaky at best, but again, this isn't a court of law and Brady will be suspended.

Plus everything Florio says is completely debunked in the actual report with about 80 pages of testing and actual science and scientists. So there is that.

If it was a court of law, Brady would have handed over the phone. Whether there's anything on it I don't know, but given that the the two flunkies didn't have anything truly incriminating from him on their own phones, I think there's a decent chance that nothing is there. The case IS shaky at best, but again, this isn't a court of law and Brady will be suspended.

In a court of law people would be subpoenaed to take the stand and the NFL lawyers would easily show what happened.

Not sure I agree with that. If it's a criminal case, then yeah, Brady would never be found guilty of tampering etc.

If it's a civil case to assign damages for liability, I think there's a really good chance that he'd be found liable. As I said before, there's a preponderance of evidence pointing to both tampering and Brady having knowledge of it.

There's a preponderance of evidence?? The prosecutor (Wells) says there is, but a decent defense attorney would tear that report to shreds. There was no defense attorney though. Remember that there was no rebuttal - Wells serves as both prosecutor and defender, and he gets to choose which role he wants to play. I think he leaned more towards the former, but that's his right.

Plus everything Florio says is completely debunked in the actual report with about 80 pages of testing and actual science and scientists. So there is that.

In a court of law people would be subpoenaed to take the stand and the NFL lawyers would easily show what happened.

You have no idea what is on Brady's phone. If you say you do, you're lying. Defendants have been able to create doubt on far, far less evidence.

Edited by dave mcbride

There's a preponderance of evidence?? The prosecutor (Wells) says there is, but a decent defense attorney would tear that report to shreds. There was no defense attorney though. Remember that there was no rebuttal - Wells serves as both prosecutor and defender, and he gets to choose which role he wants to play. I think he leaned more towards the former, but that's his right.

Absolutely there is...as I said before:

A guy that calls himself "The Deflator" takes footballs that he's not supposed to have, to a place they aren't supposed to go, where cameras cannot see him, for a long-enough period of time to tamper with each of them, and claims he did so because he had to use a bathroom stall/urinal that doesn't exist.

Then, when tested at halftime, those same footballs show a drop in pressure from the mandated pre-game limits that exceeds the drop in pressure of the Colts' footballs by a statistically significant margin, regardless of which pressure readings are used.

Next, we're privy to a series of messages from the team's ball handlers that very clearly show that they're acting upon instructions from the team's QB, who subsequently refused to provide correspondence relating to the investigation, despite being given the opportunity for he and his lawyers to pick through the correspondence on his phone before submitting.

The above, when considered within the context of the entire series of events, makes it "more probable than not" that (a) they tampered with the ball, and (b) Brady knew about it.

If we're treating this like law, then that's my closing argument. I welcome anyone that disagrees to make theirs.

You have no idea what is on Brady's phone. If you say you do, you're lying.

The balls were inarguably doctored. A guy named "the deflator" stole the balls from the officials against the rules, was caught on tape going to a bathroom with them with proven time to deflate them, told three different stories about what he was doing, and then refused to talk to the investigators after the first interview. Never in 19 years had the man responsible for the balls have them stolen like that. The man allegedly behind the crime, clearly implicated in texts, refused to hand over his phone. There would be endless witnesses that on the stand would say it was impossible these two guys did it on their own. Brady would be found guilty.

You have no idea what is on Brady's phone. If you say you do, you're lying. Defendants have been able to create doubt on far, far less evidence.

Where did Kelly say he knows what's on the phone?? All he said is if the NFL had actual possession of the phone, they would easily be able to tell what Brady communicated to Curly and Larry.

And defendants who refuse to cooperate usually don't get the benefit of 'creating doubt.'

This ain't a criminal trial, so readonable doubt doesn't apply--preponderance of the evidence. Plenty of evidence here to beat all 3.

You guys are missing my point. I think that the balls were doctored and I think Brady should be suspended. But to conclude that Wells' word would be the final say about what a preponderance of evidence is in a courtroom is simply wrong. That report would be torn to shreds by a good defense attorney. There is nothing in it that directly incriminates Brady, and he would likely win his case. Now if his phone has incriminating evidence, that's a different story. But we don't know if it does, and the fact that there are no incriminating texts from Brady to the the flunkies suggest that there may not be.

This isn't about whether the balls were doctored. It's about whether Brady can be linked to it. That's the issue here.