Rivers in 2016?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the scenarios the front office is building towards. If not Rivers, another veteran QB who's hungry for a ring and wants to come to a loaded roster.

But Rivers fits the ... bill ... better than the other options.

Seems obvious to tag him next year, if needed. At 20m it's well worth it to have him his first year in a new city.

True but I could see Rivers as the type of guy that would retire out in that situation. I wouldn't say that it is likely but he could try to force their hand a la Adrian Peterson.

I've said a few times that I would not be surprised if Rivers would be made available this offseason since he is in the last year of his contract and is closer to the end of his career then the beginning.

He may be easier to get now in a trade then waiting until next year in free agency especially with SD not really considered a serious playoff contender.

I've said a few times that I would not be surprised if Rivers would be made available this offseason since he is in the last year of his contract and is closer to the end of his career then the beginning.

He may be easier to get now in a trade then waiting until next year in free agency especially with SD not really considered a serious playoff contender.

Shh! Don't jinx it! ;)

Mariota working out for Chargers...they are VERY high on him, apparently.

http://boltbeat.com/2015/03/13/marcus-mariota-san-diego-chargers-rumors/

And there are rumors the Chargers could use Rivers as a trading chip to move up in the draft.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/03/17/san-diego-chargers-rumors-trading-philip-rivers-to-move-up-for-marcus-mariota-is-well-worth-it/

IF the Bills are going to be giving up a bunch of assets for a QB, I would much rather them trade up for the best QB in the draft next year, than give up a lot and pay a lot for a 34 year old QB.

He's been backed by a top a 10 D 3 times in the last 5 years (#1 in 2010). This has resulted in 1 playoff year, 1 playoff win.

Besides, why would SD let him go?

What else has SD had on offense in recent years? Gates is still productive but nowhere near what he used to be. They haven't had a good WR since VJack left, no real running game and until last year a below average oline.

Why would they keep him and risk losing him for nothing next year? SD is most likely not seriously competing next year and Rivers has said he will play out last year of his contract instead of signing an extension.

It prob won't happen but it's an intriguing thought that's not completely out of the question.

Edited by Max997

Mariota working out for Chargers...they are VERY high on him, apparently.

http://boltbeat.com/2015/03/13/marcus-mariota-san-diego-chargers-rumors/

And there are rumors the Chargers could use Rivers as a trading chip to move up in the draft.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/03/17/san-diego-chargers-rumors-trading-philip-rivers-to-move-up-for-marcus-mariota-is-well-worth-it/

IF the Bills are going to be giving up a bunch of assets for a QB, I would much rather them trade up for the best QB in the draft next year, than give up a lot and pay a lot for a 34 year old QB.

Smokescreen. They need to win and win now. They will ride Rivers until he can't play anymore.

They do need to draft a replacement though for when he can no longer play. They will not wait until that time comes.

If he chooses to leave because they move to LA, it sounds like he would rather retire than move.

Smokescreen. They need to win and win now. They will ride Rivers until he can't play anymore.

They do need to draft a replacement though for when he can no longer play. They will not wait until that time comes.

If he chooses to leave because they move to LA, it sounds like he would rather retire than move.

Win and win now? They are nowhere close to being built to win now and play in same division as Denver and KC...I don't think they are even a bubble playoff team at this point.

Win and win now? They are nowhere close to being built to win now and play in same division as Denver and KC...I don't think they are even a bubble playoff team at this point.

they are good enough to make the playoffs. Neither of those teams are world beaters. Imo

KC is going nowhere as long as Reid is HC.

they are good enough to make the playoffs. Neither of those teams are world beaters. Imo

Exactly. There is no chance the Chargers are trading up for Marriotta at the expense of Rivers.