[closed]Charles Clay to Bills? - the sequel/trilogy

They can rescind the transition tag before Clay signs if it looks like no one will make an offer. But they want to force us to structure an unfriendly deal so they won't, yet.

You know in a way the tag may actually help the Bills. At the moment the tag discourages other teams from bidding on him because they don't want to have to structure a front loaded contract to get him so only the teams that REALLY REALLY want him will bid (Bills and maybe the Browns). If the Phins lift the tag then he becomes a UFA and then anyone can offer any kind of contract to him and all of a sudden we could be competing with a number of teams. I suggest the Bills submit the front loaded contract now!

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No matter your ego it can't feel good to be a pawn in another persons game.

Correct. Value to us isn't the same as value to a team that doesn't value a more hybrid tight end role. I think he will match whatever contract we give him with production. He will be a main piece in the misdirection Roman wants in his offense.

If we are able to land him, hopefully he will have a chip on his shoulder to show Miami they made the wrong choice.

You know in a way the tag may actually help the Bills. At the moment the tag discourages other teams from bidding on him because they don't want to have to structure a front loaded contract to get him so only the teams that REALLY REALLY want him will bid (Bills and maybe the Browns). If the Phins lift the tag then he becomes a UFA and then anyone can offer any kind of contract to him and all of a sudden we could be competing with a number of teams. I suggest the Bills submit the front loaded contract now!

I agree. I think the Phins are doing this to hurt the Bills but in reality it may save them because there may be more attractive destinations that can be more flexible with how they structure the deal given we only have 15 mill cap space left and still want to get Harvin in as well as Clay.

I would be more worried if the tag is rescinded.

I wonder if clay takes it personally the the fins are using him as a pawn. I get its all business etc, but a big ego could still resent this whether he should or not.

How are the Dolphins using him? They wanted to be able to match any contract offer. Clay is a RFA looking for a big contract. He either signs with another team or takes the 1 yr $7M from Miami. The risk is if Miami removes the tag but then Clay is an UFA.

Reading the tea leaves a bit, Miami is going to be in some trouble cap-wise next year. They've already got $128M committed to 36 players, and that's not counting Jordan Cameron. Now, in order to fit Cameron under this year's cap, his cap number has to be $6M or less (that's without creating room to sign draft picks), which means his cap number next year will be approx. $9M (at least).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap/2016/

That means that they're at $137M for 37 players. Now, they will probably cut Dannell Ellerbe (likely post June 1st designation), which means his dead money will be reduced from $7M down to $3.5Mish, and they can probably restructure Mike Wallace to bring his number down from $13M, but that would kick a very large can into 2017 (cap number would be about $20M and nearly half of it would be bonus money).

So realistically, we're talking about Miami being at $130M+ for 37 players, and still having to address the contracts of Olivier Vernon and Mike Pouncey.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins

Cutting Ellerbe would save the Phins $5.65M in cap space this year, unless they designated him as a June 1st cut which would give them more immediate relief and push some of the cap hit back to 2016. The $131M+ would only cover 36 players then. Quite frankly, 2016 looks ugly for them already so I don't think it much matters how they handle Ellerbe. They really are pushing to win in the short term. Check out the link, lots of info there.

"Offer sheet coming today or tomorrow" has been said every day since FA opened. If I see a tweet tomorrow that says it could come on Sunday - i'm gonna throw something!

Don't forget we need to submit an offer sheet that Clay will actually accept. We may be negotiating with him as we speak, meanwhile structuring the offer so that the Dolphins are unlikely to match it.

How are the Dolphins using him? They wanted to be able to match any contract offer. Clay is a RFA looking for a big contract. He either signs with another team or takes the 1 yr $7M from Miami. The risk is if Miami removes the tag but then Clay is an UFA.

There was a report that Miami was trying to work out a long-term deal with him again after he spent all that time with the Bills and said he was going to visit Cleveland. Then when Cameron's agent leaked that Browns deal to the media, they panicked and signed him, because I think they were worried they were going to miss out on both. It appeared to me they didn't feel at all comfortable their offer to him would be close to the Bills.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins

The other thing I notice here is that in 2016 Miami has $131M tied up in 34 players under contract. That includes ALL of the players they have under contract through that time. It does not include Tanny. They aren't going to be carrying much over either, which is why their heads are above water now. Booting Ellerbe will help, but I'm not sure how they sign Clay to a sizeable longterm deal. They have to fit Tanny and the hits from two draft classes under their 2016 cap. Those players are relatively cheap, but they'd better hope the cap continues to rise.

Jeremy Fowler

If Dolphins decide won’t pay for Clay, perhaps they try to help Browns instead of AFCE rival Bills - claim to match BUF offers but not CLEs

Jerks...

he can only sign one offer

its a game of chicken now. Miami is hosed salary cap wise so now we wait them out

Edited by ddaryl

I have the feeling that it's clay. Harvin is a smoke screen. Think about it, we dropped two tight ends. They want to fake completion to drive up Harvins price (belicheat) but we HAVE TO GET CLAY now as the draft and free agency suck for tight ends. It will be a very outlandish deal for Clay and I don't think he will live up to it. We HAVE TO GET A TE AND A GUARD. We don't have to get a WR.

Edited by SJDK, Today, 06:53 PM.

good points. But I think we can have both. I'm beginning to think guard will come in the draft. (although I'd prefer a proven commodity in FA in addition).

Jeremy Fowler

If Dolphins decide won’t pay for Clay, perhaps they try to help Browns instead of AFCE rival Bills - claim to match BUF offers but not CLEs

Jerks...

There is no match until Clay signs a contract...and he can only sign one.

Jeremy Fowler

If Dolphins decide wont pay for Clay, perhaps they try to help Browns instead of AFCE rival Bills - claim to match BUF offers but not CLEs

Jerks...

Jerks, but we'd be applauding OBD if the roles were reversed. This TE situation is really a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if Gresham was the next TE.

Jerks, but we'd be applauding OBD if the roles were reversed. This TE situation is really a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if Gresham was the next TE.

I'm sure the Bills understood it wouldn't be easy when they decided to take on the transition tag.

Maybe, but there is an element of machismo about Miami's actions that jives with a good business sense, unless they really intend to use both Cameron and Clay. But that's a lot of coin to invest in the TE position for a team that just took on the Suh contract and has to worry about next year's QB contract.

Who cares what Miami says they are going to do. Sign the deal for what you value him, if they match, congrats on paying Cameron & Clay $15 mil a year, if they don't then we get Clay.

Clay is a nice player, he'd upgrade our team, but we seem to be feeding into Miami making this a ridiculous situation. I don't think Clay is the difference between the playoffs or not for us, offer the guy his value and move on to the next move.

Who cares what Miami says they are going to do. Sign the deal for what you value him, if they match, congrats on paying Cameron & Clay $15 mil a year, if they don't then we get Clay.

Clay is a nice player, he'd upgrade our team, but we seem to be feeding into Miami making this a ridiculous situation. I don't think Clay is the difference between the playoffs or not for us, offer the guy his value and move on to the next move.

I don't think there's that much to read into it...Buffalo was patient enough to not make their move until they knew the situation, and now they know, so expect them to make their move.

So my understanding of the process with the tag in place:

• Clay can sign his tender from Miami or he can solicit offers from other teams
  • Clay can only present one to Miami. This offer does not have to be > the $7 million tender.
  • Miami has 5 days to match offer or not
  • If they do, that is his new contract with Miami
  • If they do not, that is his new contract with the offering team

Right?