Tyrod Taylor visiting the Bills--edit signed per Rex

Project QBs like EJ have a two or three year learning curve to become a starting NFL QB. Hard to understand in the hot pocket world of RGIII, Luck, Wilson and Kaerpernick instant success, but this is the old school NFL way that actually used to work. Manuel is a QB who I could see become a solid starting NFL QB if he was given the extra time to develop properly.

I don't understand many fans here who just write him off completely ignoring the fact that he was considered a raw QB coming out. It would be great if he played lights out this training camp, but if he doesn't that doesn't mean anything in regards to whether he'll ever be a solid starting QB in this league. Because the reality is that he probably needs this whole year to develop into a viable solid option for the 2016 season.

While he's a mature person, it seems like he didn't have that "boss" like commanding presence in the huddle. He may need to just get another year older and watch how the old guys handle the players on offense. He never had that until Orton came in.

Good post.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that people are excited about Taylor having had 4 years to develop, while in the same breath basically saying EJ is a bust :lol:

Glad to see added depth, and more possible competition. May the best man win! Hopefully it's a close competition because they all kick ass. :beer:

I like that people are excited about Taylor having had 4 years to develop, while in the same breath basically saying EJ is a bust :lol:

Glad to see added depth, and more possible competition. May the best man win! Hopefully it's a close competition because they all kick ass. :beer:

Love this post. Well said

Another good addition to the competition. Maybe one more FA and a draftee would top it off. One of the latest mock drafts I saw had the Bills taking Hundley in the 2nd. That would be a very good addition. It would give us a chance to find a starter and a competent back and a development guy even though the QB possibilities are slim to none.

His salary was under 700,000. This was clearly not a salary cap issue. And Flacco will still need a backup. WHy get rid of such a guy who comes so cheap?

It was that low, until his contract expired. It will be higher going forward. And they'd probably have to significantly beat the Bills' (or similarly QB-poor team) offer, because a young player like Taylor typically wants a chance to play, and potentially earn huge money. He won't get that in Baltimore without a serious injury to Flacco.

The NFL actually got rid of the reserve clause some time ago, and have this thing where you have to negotiate a new contract from time to time in order to keep a player. And weirdly, the new contract is the one that counts against the salary cap, not the old one. And sometimes the new one is a lot higher than the old one, maybe too high for you to afford, especially when you have massive amounts of money committed to your starting QB. Bizarre, I know, but all true.

Very happy with this signing. Taylor brings atheleticism to the position and more importantly: hes an unknown commodity who's only 25 years old and got to learn behind flacco for 4 years.

As a Bills fan, we need yearly hope for the pipe dream QB that can somehow become the franchise guy we need.

Taylor is this years version.

Going into camp with 4 QBs on the roster as of now, I don't see the Bills drafting one unless of course they see someone they like then Tuel is odd man out possibly. To go into camp with 5 would be crazy because how would you expect to see everyone get a fair amount of reps and remain competitive. Four is bad enough to spread the wealth around.

Going into camp with 4 QBs on the roster as of now, I don't see the Bills drafting one unless of course they see someone they like then Tuel is odd man out possibly. To go into camp with 5 would be crazy because how would you expect to see everyone get a fair amount of reps and remain competitive. Four is bad enough to spread the wealth around.

Yep. Tuel will be the arm to wear out working receivers early.

He's a FA and Flacco never gets hurt so he won't see the field. He will have a legitimate shot at playing time here. I would leave also.

You can't say your starter will never get hurt. Are you arguing they don't need a backup? Or that they could just get any warm body to take his place?

If so, why didn't they just trade him to the Jets when Rex was after him? At least they would have gotten something before letting this cheap backup walk.

They can't force him to stay.

No, but the point is that if he was so valuable a year or 2 ago that they wouldn't even entertain Rex's trade talk, why not re-sign him--a year ago even?

Not sure about this guy. Looks like he had a 58% completion rate in college, and hasnt ever played in the NFL.

I wonder if Tuel beats him out.

That's why he's not just handed the starting position.

I bet Cassel and EJ get the majority of #1 reps in this competition, while Taylor will need to impress with the scraps he'll be given.

This signing wont get a lot of press

but just watch and see what happens

- Has a game that emulates Russell Wilson.....which it looks like the bills are trying to emulate anyway

- Has had FOUR YEARS of sitting behind Flacco to improve his craft

- Now that we have signed him I dont see us signing a QB in the draft this year

- Rex Ryan tried to trade for him last year and was rejected.

its a QB competition folks......so if EJ has not SERIOUSLY improved his game then Cassell probably starts........but Tyrod will be in the bullpen

No, but the point is that if he was so valuable a year or 2 ago that they wouldn't even entertain Rex's trade talk, why not re-sign him--a year ago even?

He wanted to have a chance at starting. There was no way that was happening there. Even if they wanted to re-sign him (they could have), he could have said no.

You can't say your starter will never get hurt. Are you arguing they don't need a backup? Or that they could just get any warm body to take his place?

If so, why didn't they just trade him to the Jets when Rex was after him? At least they would have gotten something before letting this cheap backup walk.

That's just stupid. "If he was so valuable a year or two ago they wouldn't have even entertained Rex's trade talk." Do you really think a Ozzie is going to hang up the phone if a GM comes calling asking about his backup qb? Maybe you would, but I'd listen to offers for any player. Doesn't mean you have to trade him, but if a deal comes along that you can't pass up, you take it. Regarding locking him up a year ago, it takes 2 to tango. Maybe he didn't want to be there and wanted a chance to compete to be a starter and make some big boy money.

If his accuracy, footwork and ability to read defenses have improved since college, he's probably just as good as Ej

- Has a game that emulates Russell Wilson.....which it looks like the bills are trying to emulate anyway

its a QB competition folks......so if EJ has not SERIOUSLY improved his game then Cassell probably starts........but Tyrod will be in the bullpen

I'm betting Cassel wins the starting job for fun.

He wanted to have a chance at starting. There was no way that was happening there. Even if they wanted to re-sign him (they could have), he could have said no.

True, he could have. But no one in th NFL thinks he's a starting caliber QB. OK, maybe one guy--but that guy has famously struggled to identify a starting QB in his HC career so far..

Better to be Flacco's backup than cut from the Bills camp in late August.

wtf does this guy have in common with russell Wilson? Rw was a 70% passer his senior year in college. Tyrod was 59%.

Vick maybe, not rw.

Maybe roman is thinking keap...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood