TE's underwhelming at combine

Mij yllek

Their 40 times were not very impressive with only Wes Saxton running a sub 4.60.

The one TE who I found interesting was Cameron Clear of A and M. He is a great blocker and at 6'6" 280 has the potential to play OT. ( Jason Peters 2.0?) Perhaps a late round pick or high priority UFA.

On another note, Chris Gragg is the 4th fastest TE in the NFL at the moment, faster than any of the

TE's in this years draft. Hopefully we can develop him into an offensive weapon.

40 times are overrated for TEs. Ball skills and routes plus blocking are more important. That

Said, "slower" 40 times for the TEs is very good for buffalo. Better chance one of the best is there at 50.

My thinking exactly. I am hoping Maxx is there for us in the 2nd round.

I think 40's are overrated as well it sort of depends what your looking for I guess. If your looking for an H-Back type guy then O'Leary is your guy. Great hands but not a huge catch radius. He'll be a high volume pass catcher but it wont be for big numbers

If you looking for an inline blocking tight end you might want to take a look at a Nick Boyle or Ben Koyack.

I'm actually a huge fan of Clive Walford. I dont know if he will last until 81 though. He would be an ideal trade down guy from 50.

Maxx Williams is a good all around tight end but I dont think he'll be there.

Jesse James is also Gronk sized. Probably needed another year at PSU but an interesting prospect.

Good point. Their measurable are pretty close. Gronk is a bit faster (4.6 to 4.8) and James is a bit stronger (26 reps to 23). Plus you can't teach size. He'd be an interesting 3rd rounder at least.

From Matt miller-

@nfldraftscout: Nick O'Leary is a lot like James Casey to me (but slower). He'll play a long, long time in the NFL with H-back his best fit.

I always thought he'd be a Wycheck clone.

Their 40 times were not very impressive with only Wes Saxton running a sub 4.60.

The one TE who I found interesting was Cameron Clear of A and M. He is a great blocker and at 6'6" 280 has the potential to play OT. ( Jason Peters 2.0?) Perhaps a late round pick or high priority UFA.

On another note, Chris Gragg is the 4th fastest TE in the NFL at the moment, faster than any of the

TE's in this years draft. Hopefully we can develop him into an offensive weapon.

I really like MyCole Pruitt who ran a 4.58 and moved really well. He also seemed to have soft hands in the receiving drills. I never saw him play at Southern Illinois but he seems to have great stats. I am pretty intrigued by what I saw so far.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mycole-pruitt?id=2552401

He was top performer in 3 of the 4 categories, but before you call him a combine workout warrior, check out his college stats:

Year Team G Rush Yds Yd/Rush TDs Rec Yds Yd/Rec TDs

2011 SIU 11 0 0 - 0 43 562 13.1 3

2012 SIU 11 0 0 - 0 49 577 11.8 4

2013 SIU 10 0 0 - 0 48 601 12.5 5

2014 SIU 12 0 0 - 0 81 861 10.6 13

Career 44 0 0 - 0 221 2601 11.8 25

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

Dorin Dickerson was the fastest. Remember him?

Jeff Heuerman so far at the combine: Checked in at 6'5", 254 pounds with 33 1/4" arms and 10 1/8" hands. Had 26 reps on the bench press.

Didn't run because of foot. Will be a steal late!!!!

I'm all for taking Blake Bell in the 4th or later. He's big and athletic, played multiple positions in college and we could use a "belldozer" in the Ralph

Rotoworld is gushing about Jesse James.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/307150/penn-state-te-jesse-james-shining-at-combine

He added a highly impressive 10-foot-1 broad jump, which betters those posted by Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski prior to their respective drafts. James is a mammoth 6-foot-7 and 261 pounds with 33-inch arms.

What are the odds that one of these guys is significantly better than Chandler? Enough to blow the only pick they have that might bring in a top prospect? Nope.

I agree. Maybe a TE in round 3 if someone drops right into your lap, more likely round 5.

Gragg, please, how long have we waited for that.

40 time doesn't mean anything, can they catch, run routes and block

What are the odds that one of these guys is significantly better than Chandler? Enough to blow the only pick they have that might bring in a top prospect? Nope.

They will take BPA on their board IMO. Could be TE. They identified it as a priority. Clearly if they make a move in FA at that position then things change. Edited by YoloinOhio

My thinking exactly. I am hoping Maxx is there for us in the 2nd round.

Disabuse yourself of that notion. With the dearth of TE talent this year, Maxx will go in Round 1.

From Matt miller-

@nfldraftscout: Nick O'Leary is a lot like James Casey to me (but slower). He'll play a long, long time in the NFL with H-back his best fit.

He's an interesting prospect - not for the TE spot per se, but think of him as the H-back. He's a hell of a lot better at pass protection than CJ, and that would mean a much stronger pocket for our QB - whoever that is. He seems durable and a scrapper from what I've heard. We'd still need a combo TE though.

The combine is overrated. A 40 time is such a small part of judging players, it is hardly worth considering.

agree except for CBs and WRs. Still not everything obviously but means more than it does for other positions.

I know what you mean, and agree somewhat, but Ii guess my point is a 40 time isn't a good measure up of useful speed. But I know what you are getting at.