Rumor: Polian could return as soon as Monday

Bangarang

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a terrible idea. Another old Buffalo guy. This is what got us in this mess in the first place. Let's bring in somebody from the outside who is more in touch with today's NFL.

This sounds like a terrible idea. Another old Buffalo guy. This is what got us in this mess in the first place. Let's bring in somebody from the outside who is more in touch with today's NFL.

Open to suggestions on that....who do you suggest?

Whaley's drafts > Polian's last drafts

And if anything, this is Polian giving back. I doubt he needs the money and I'm sure it won't be time consuming. But this would be a great way to end his career and "make things right" with Ralph.

2-14 is pretty awful. We used to go 7-9 with JP Losman and Trent Edwards. Curtis Painter isn't thatm uch off a drop off.

Fact is, those were not deep Colts teams.

Polian will adopt the same strategy with Bills as he did for Colts. In fact, pay me $1 million to be the consultant and I'll do the job. Here's the strategy: Go 2-14 and get #1 pick. Take franchise QB and win it all in 2016. There - job well done.

I highly doubt whomever the Pegula's hire for a consultant will advocate keeping any of the major players on the football side at OBD. Consultants have a reputation to maintain just like those who hire them, so recommending cosmetic changes or not removing anyone isn't happening.

If it's Polian, so be it. But he's not coming in and pushing to keep a GM and HC who don't get along, nor a non-football guy who still finds time to stop by practice and chat with the HC.

I just hope if Trader Bill shows up, he won't arrive at a conclusion that involves his son.

I've thought this was happening since hearing him on Murph's show in October or so, plugging his book.........After the interview, when going to break, Murph said something like "Thanks to Bill Polian, former blah blah blah, and in the future, who knows?" in a way of saying maybe he'll be back on the Bills.

Just like I knew Byrd was gone by what Murph was saying, and other things along that line, you can pretty much bet on it.

Whaley's drafts > Polian's last drafts

And if anything, this is Polian giving back. I doubt he needs the money and I'm sure it won't be time consuming. But this would be a great way to end his career and "make things right" with Ralph.

2-14 is pretty awful. We used to go 7-9 with JP Losman and Trent Edwards. Curtis Painter isn't thatm uch off a drop off.

Fact is, those were not deep Colts teams.

I agree with you -- I'm skeptical about this. But in terms of a mathematical assessment of his tenure with the colts, your focus on one bad season after 11 playoff appearances in the previous 12 seasons is the equivalent of being out to lunch. That 2-14 team had a bunch of injuries, and early on they decided they'd suck for Luck. It worked. If only the Bills had a season or two with that record over the years. I mean, it's not as if Polian didn't draft five other potential hall of famers on that team.

Edited by dave mcbride

Polian will adopt the same strategy with Bills as he did for Colts. In fact, pay me $1 million to be the consultant and I'll do the job. Here's the strategy: Go 2-14 and get #1 pick. Take franchise QB and win it all in 2016. There - job well done.

What about the strategy to build the Panthers in 1994-96?

That said, the NFL has changed tremendously since Polian signed Kelly in 1986 and drafted Peyton in 1998.

What about the strategy to build the Panthers in 1994-96?

That said, the NFL has changed tremendously since Polian signed Kelly in 1986 and drafted Peyton in 1998.

He had a younger QB in Carolina as I recall...Peyton was aging and we have "Horton Hears a Few". Count on a tank next year.

Talk about a bunch of negative Nancy's....people here siding with Brandon? (who has presided over the longest drought in our playoff history). Super Bowls, NFC Championship game, probably one of the best talent evaluators and GM's in the history of the league. We would be lucky to have him back.

Even then alot of luck involved. After going 2-14 the "franchise QB" that year could be the next Ryan Leaf. Tampa likely will go 2-14, what are the odds they will become great drafting either Winston or the guy from Oregon? If you think you're going to do it in 2016, you're really puishing it with one of them. Many years there are no Andrew Lucks out there, many RGIII's who will look great for a year or two. Then you may be starting over again.

Which brings up the point of faulting Whaley for not drafting a franchise QB is laughable. If it were that easy there wouldn't be over 20 teams without one.

If he advocates keeping Marrone then he should not be hired. The Bills need to blow up the current offensive scheme and timid approach and Marrone is probably way too stubborn to accept such a drastic change to his offense.

Keeping Marrone will set this franchise back another two years. Best to have real shake up by firing him and hiring either Darrell Bevell or Frank Reich as our new head coach.

I hope he would only serve as a draft consultant only.

Talk about a bunch of negative Nancy's....people here siding with Brandon? (who has presided over the longest drought in our playoff history). Super Bowls, NFC Championship game, probably one of the best talent evaluators and GM's in the history of the league. We would be lucky to have him back.

this. And I didn't read the article but I'm guessing they would try to retain Brandon, even if only as a marketing guy. Certainly he could choose to leave for a higher level role elsewhere if/when he has options. I also think Bill would be a great mentor for Whaley. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't know how anyone could want Whaley/Marrone/Hackett to stay past Monday. Buddy Nix had better drafts and he was downright terrible. The offense is a total train wreck. Still don't have a QB. No running game. You can love FredEx and Boobie and CJ but they are just bad. Haven;t had a TE since the early 90's. OL is still suspect. Marrone would have punted on 2nd down if he could have gotten away with it. Allegedly Marrone and Whaley have a broken relationship. Can't have that so at least one is going. Polian is a Hall of Fame level executive. He will come and advise like Caserley is doing in NY for the Jets. He can contact the right people. It's about time we had a professional organization in place.

They said they would hire a consultant to assess the organization top to bottom. This sounds like the job that Bill P would be brought back to do.

This guy has been around more winning than most anyone in the game. We have flaws in this system from 15+ years of dysfunction and he would be there to make suggestions on how to improve them. Who better to take a before/after snapshot of this organization from the last time they were in the playoffs to show where they went off the rails.

I think he deserves a little more credit than just doing all of this to get his Son a job. He knows the area and would probably LOVE to cap off his career with a SB in Buffalo. Tell me one other thing that would complete this man's NFL resume?

Like everything else they have done or not, the 2 Dougs spent BIG in 2 drafts and got egg on their faces in both…sorry but ODB's season makes them look bad for spending insane levels to get Sammy. We use similar measurements to say that Donahoe was terrible on this board.

Nobody should be safe in theory but the progress will not be ignored and sacrificed…Polian too good at what he does.

i don't know what Chris Polian has to do with it either. Chris is doing just fine as the Dir of Player Personnel in Jax. He and Caldwell don't have a "win now" aspect to their build. Khan is giving them time and they just drafted their QB. I don't think he even would want this job.

Looking back at the last decade of Colts drafts before Polian was fired and wow it is really, really bad. So many of the players drafted aren't even in the league anymore and only a handful are still with the Colts in what should be the prime of their careers.

Edited by Bangarang

Looking back at the last decade of Colts drafts before Polian was fired and wow it is really, really bad. So many of the players drafted aren't even in the league anymore and only a handful are still with the Colts in what should be the prime of their careers.

The Colts drafts have been terrible for years. They've hit on Hilton(Luck was a no brainer), that's about it.

Polian inherited Kelly. And if we can get Peyton Manning, he would be a genius.

Polian is a Hall of Famer but it's important to remember the last team he built was 2-14. He should be a minority voice in team matters. And the fact he thinks Marrone should be coach of the year terrifies me.

Polian inherited the rights to BUT actually signed Kelly.

Agreed. The last Colts' drafts under him were pretty bad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts_draft_history#2012_Draft

A lot of that was probably due to his son having the final say. He likely stepped way too back in an attempt not to be the overbearing father. And the results were terrible.

If Pegula wants to bring him back as team President, I'm all for it. The guy knows how to run a football team.

Edited by Saint Doug

That same draft yielded 2 solid TEs (combined for 2500 yards and 24 TDs so far)

Again, Luck was a no brainer. Allen and Fleener are avg TEs at best with a very talented QB throwing them the ball.

BTW Scott Chandler has 2100 yards and 17 TDs in 34 starts which is comparable to Fleener and Allen's 33 and 30. So considering who's throwing these guys the ball his production isn't too far off of them.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

The Colts drafts have been terrible for years. They've hit on Hilton(Luck was a no brainer), that's about it.

the Hilton/Luck draft was Grigson. Everyone but Telesco from the Polian regime was gone in January; they were drafted in April.

Bill was not involved in a colts draft since 2007, I believe. He wanted less of a day to day role. He was actually more of a Russ Brandon role. Chris was the GM. And Bill did not tell him what to do.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Nothing to see here folks. Polian says this story is a big fat lie.

Former Buffalo Bills general manager Bill Polian refuted a report from Pro Football Talk Saturday that he could be returning to the team “as soon as Monday.”

“It’s about as wrong as can be,” Polian told The Buffalo News. “I’m not going to work for anybody Monday morning except ESPN.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/12/27/polian-report-joining-bills-wrong-can/

Polian is smart and has built winners in three different cities. What is with all of the negativity? Having familiarity and experience with the Bills organization is probably a good thing, but there is some distance in terms of time, which should allow him to be more objective. I hope Brandon stays on in a marketing capacity. His efforts in that regard have been outstanding during some very difficult times. Whaley and Marrone need to be evaluated. I do not get the Whaley love, and I certainly think we can do better than Marrone, particularly with the offense. Having an outside consultant gives me some comfort that informed decisions will be made to put the Bills in position for success in the future.

If so,than Monday can't come soon enough for me. I volunteer to carry his bags to OBD and toss out Whaley and Marrone's sleeping bags.

Polian is a good football guy, still in touch with today's NFL it's not like he's unplugged and coming back 15 years later. He knows like EVERY other NFL guy Marrones a good coach this comment should give you and idea as to what Polian thinks..,........ “Doug Marrone, the Bills’ head coach, should be very much in the running for coach of the year,” Polian said on ESPN earlier this month. “The Packers are a much better team, but they weren’t yesterday in Ralph Wilson Stadium, and that’s to Doug Marrone’s credit, that’s to [defensive coordinator] Jim Schwartz’s credit and that team’s credit.”.....

so IF he comes back ..save your sleeping bags for someone else this group knows what they are doing and based off the opinions of NFL people - you don't

IF he doesn't Marrone is so well respected he's not going anywhere like it or not.

Edited by CardinalScotts

the best don't want to work in this franchise. period. gotta get the best you can get that actually want to work with the franchise. that is a very short list, and Polian is on it