Rumor: Polian could return as soon as Monday

Bangarang

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/27/buffalo-shakeup-could-result-in-polian-reunion/

Some in league circles firmly believe that, as soon as Monday, former Bills G.M. Bill Polian could be returning to the team. It’s unclear what his role and duties would be; Polian and the Bills could try to engineer the job title and description in a way that doesn’t re-set the clock on his looming election to the Hall of Fame. Nominated for the first time in the new contributor category, Polian’s candidacy will be debated and determined on January 31.

Please keep his son away from this team. Not sure how I feel about this though. Nostalgia is great but his ability to draft wasn't very good in the final several years of his time with the Colts.

Edited by Bangarang

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Polian. Genius almost.

But I really love Whaley too. The next generation Polian maybe.

I'm all for Polian coming, as long as Whaley remains GM. Whaley has a plan. He has built a strong, hungry, young team. He has no QB, but I dont think Polian can come here and magically find one either.

Come to think of it, since I love Whaley so much, I'm actually NOT on board with Polian coming in. Your time came and you did well, but your time was long ago. Stop trying so hard to prop up your son. He will sink or swim on his own merit.

In today's NFL, Whaley has shown that he has it. Chris Polian, notsomuch.

It's way past time for Brandon to go. I like Whaley and think he deserves to stay but I didn't like reading how much Polian likes Marrone bc other than hire good defensive coordinators he has completely failed as a head coach. I completely disagree with Polian giving Marrone any credit at all for beating the Packers which was all about the defense the special teams TD.

Edited by Max997

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/27/buffalo-shakeup-could-result-in-polian-reunion/

Please keep his son away from this team. Not sure how I feel about this though. Nostalgia is great but his ability to draft wasn't very good in the final several years of his time with the Colts.

chris polian and Tom Telesco were in charge of those drafts. Bill was in a consulting role with a President title.

I posted this in the other thread but it probably should go here. It should be noted and remembered that Polian said stuff about "Coach of the Year" right after the Packer game, because "the better team" lost. After that game the Bills were riding high. One week later, that entire idea disappeared when the better team lost against Oakland. There is zero chance that Polian thinks Marrone should get any coach of the year votes.

He may like him a lot though.

But even as an insider, he may not be privy to a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes. If he gets there, as a consultant, he may find that Marrone is highly respected in the building and did a great job. He may find differently.

Polian will come here in what capacity?

Bringing back Levy didn't bring back the glory of those 90s Bills. I'm not sure bringing back Polian will either.

Polian's old, Whaley's young. I don't see Polian as the long term leader of the franchise. If Polian comes in as a special adviser to the Pegulas, it could potentially be a good thing. (And potentially disruptive). I'm not confident that Polian coming to replace Whaley would be good for the Bills.

I like the idea of Polian as a consultant.....I think a fresh start and look from an outside source is exactly what Pegula should do.......15 years and counting....

But its not necessarily about tearing everything down.....there are some things that are working for this team and I fill Whaley is a big part of that.......

Does anybody else think that Polian might be being brought in as the "outside consultant"?

That would not necessarily mean that Whaley is gone.....which frankly I dont want to happen

This was my thought.

I don't think Polian will be or frankly wants to be the GM.

Make good money consulting with out the headache of GM.

The Pat LaFontaine experiment with the Sabres provided both excellent and disastrous results, so it's hard to say what the Pegulas think about doing it again. I would assume that they think it was a personality problem with Patty, rather than a bad idea. And the result of it was, that the Sabres found a potentially great GM whom mostly everyone who follows the team close seems to love, as well as the right coach for the time. So I could see the Pegulas doing the same thing with Polian. It's a glorified consultant role, and designed for more of the short term than long term in decision making.

chris polian and Tom Telesco were in charge of those drafts. Bill was in a consulting role with a President title.

Which is why I don't want his son anywhere near this team. It wouldn't be the worst thing to have Polian brought in as a consultant.

Does anybody else think that Polian might be being brought in as the "outside consultant"?

That would not necessarily mean that Whaley is gone.....which frankly I dont want to happen

i have no doubt it is as a consultant

Which is why I don't want his son anywhere near this team. It wouldn't be the worst thing to have Polian brought in as a consultant.

i agree. Fwiw I know for a fact Bill would not be interested in being a GM again. Edited by YoloinOhio

i have no doubt it is as a consultant

i agree. Fwiw I know for a fact Bill would not be interested in being a GM again.

Yeah, it would be a consultant. With the way Terry and Kim like to throw their money around, it would be a great gig for Polian to spend several months in the off season examining the entire Bills organization from top to bottom. Russ, the Dougs, the scouting department, the stadium, the field house, the trainers, everything. And without having the authority to hire or fire anyone, give a full report on his recommendations to the Pegulas, help out the remaining (or new) GM with the FA and draft, and then go back to work as an analyst when the next season starts.

I spoke to a Mutual friend of Thurman's on Christmas eve and he told me there is a very good chance Polian is coming back in some capacity. I did want to say anything here because I know how those things go around here :)

thanks - looks like there are teeth to this. I really like the idea of him as an outside consultant. He may be the smartest and most successful NFL executive of all time.

Polian's QB's.... Kelly, Collins, and Manning... I'll take those any day of the week and twice on Sunday over what we have now.

yep. The panthers were hosting a playoff game in what, their second year as an expansion team?

Polian's QB's.... Kelly, Collins, and Manning... I'll take those any day of the week and twice on Sunday over what we have now.

Polian inherited Kelly. And if we can get Peyton Manning, he would be a genius.

Polian is a Hall of Famer but it's important to remember the last team he built was 2-14. He should be a minority voice in team matters. And the fact he thinks Marrone should be coach of the year terrifies me.

It’s also unclear what would happen after Polian’s return, if that indeed occurs. Some think that G.M. Doug Whaley and CEO Russ Brandon would be in jeopardy, based on factors such as the ill-advised decision to use a first-round pick on quarterback EJ Manuel in 2013 and the surrender of a first-round pick and fourth-round pick in 2015 to move up five spots in the 2014 draft for receiver Sammy Watkins. Some saw the trade as a way to get to the postseason right away, increasing the chances of sticking with the franchise under new ownership.

Brandon, who was hired by the team in 1997 and who rose to a key level of influence in 2006, doesn’t have much to show for his time in Buffalo. More importantly, he has no pre-existing connection to or allegiance with the Pegulas, who may want their own people to run the team.

:thumbsup: Outstanding, I truly hope this all goes down. Polian should know better than anyone the need to sweep Ralph's trash to the curb.

I like the idea of Polian as a consultant.....I think a fresh start and look from an outside source is exactly what Pegula should do.......15 years and counting....

But its not necessarily about tearing everything down.....there are some things that are working for this team and I fill Whaley is a big part of that.......

Spoken for truth.

This was my thought.

I don't think Polian will be or frankly wants to be the GM.

Make good money consulting with out the headache of GM.

+1

Yeah, it would be a consultant. With the way Terry and Kim like to throw their money around, it would be a great gig for Polian to spend several months in the off season examining the entire Bills organization from top to bottom. Russ, the Dougs, the scouting department, the stadium, the field house, the trainers, everything. And without having the authority to hire or fire anyone, give a full report on his recommendations to the Pegulas, help out the remaining (or new) GM with the FA and draft, and then go back to work as an analyst when the next season starts.

Sounds good to me.

Polian is a Hall of Famer but it's important to remember the last team he built was 2-14. He should be a minority voice in team matters. And the fact he thinks Marrone should be coach of the year terrifies me.

He would be Houdini. 2-14. Right. What year exactly was that... 1985 is the last year The Bills had that ignominious record.

They said they would hire a consultant to assess the organization top to bottom. This sounds like the job that Bill P would be brought back to do.

This guy has been around more winning than most anyone in the game. We have flaws in this system from 15+ years of dysfunction and he would be there to make suggestions on how to improve them. Who better to take a before/after snapshot of this organization from the last time they were in the playoffs to show where they went off the rails.

I think he deserves a little more credit than just doing all of this to get his Son a job. He knows the area and would probably LOVE to cap off his career with a SB in Buffalo. Tell me one other thing that would complete this man's NFL resume?

Like everything else they have done or not, the 2 Dougs spent BIG in 2 drafts and got egg on their faces in both…sorry but ODB's season makes them look bad for spending insane levels to get Sammy. We use similar measurements to say that Donahoe was terrible on this board.

Nobody should be safe in theory but the progress will not be ignored and sacrificed…Polian too good at what he does.

Spoken for truth.

+1

Sounds good to me.

He would be Houdini. 2-14. Right. What year exactly was that... 1985 is the last year The Bills had that ignominious record.

His last year with the Colts. He basically built a one person team and Peyton got hurt.

They said they would hire a consultant to assess the organization top to bottom. This sounds like the job that Bill P would be brought back to do.

This guy has been around more winning than most anyone in the game. We have flaws in this system from 15+ years of dysfunction and he would be there to make suggestions on how to improve them. Who better to take a before/after snapshot of this organization from the last time they were in the playoffs to show where they went off the rails.

I think he deserves a little more credit than just doing all of this to get his Son a job. He knows the area and would probably LOVE to cap off his career with a SB in Buffalo. Tell me one other thing that would complete this man's NFL resume?

Like everything else they have done or not, the 2 Dougs spent BIG in 2 drafts and got egg on their faces in both…sorry but ODB's season makes them look bad for spending insane levels to get Sammy. We use similar measurements to say that Donahoe was terrible on this board.

Nobody should be safe in theory but the progress will not be ignored and sacrificed…Polian too good at what he does.

Apparently, you weren't paying attention to the end of Polian's Indy stint. He had plenty of misses. All GMs do.

Whaley is about as good of a young GM as there is in the league. It would be a huge mistake to get rid of him.

His last year with the Colts. He basically built a one person team and Peyton got hurt.

Apparently, you weren't paying attention to the end of Polian's Indy stint. He had plenty of misses. All GMs do.

Whaley is about as good of a young GM as there is in the league. It would be a huge mistake to get rid of him.

Where did I say anything along these lines?

And one of the things he got ripped for was not having a backup QB in place when Manning got hurt. Now people here want him as GM, but yet he left the Colts bare at QB just like many here fault Whaley for,

If you're going to bring him in fora one year consultant job great, but anything more particularly when he starts bringing his son anywhere near the team, get rid of him fast.

If Russ B goes I think it will be more a mutually agreed upon thing, that his job here is done, he's not getting fired though. Next stop for Russ will be the NFL office. Wouldn't be shocked within 10 to 15 years he's the new commissioner! Or maybe 10 to 15 days/months depending how things good for Roger.

And one of the things he got ripped for was not having a backup QB in place when Manning got hurt. Now people here want him as GM, but yet he left the Colts bare at QB just like many here fault Whaley for,

If you're going to bring him in fora one year consultant job great, but anything more particularly when he starts bringing his son anywhere near the team, get rid of him fast.

If Russ B goes I think it will be more a mutually agreed upon thing, that his job here is done, he's not getting fired though. Next stop for Russ will be the NFL office. Wouldn't be shocked within 10 to 15 years he's the new commissioner! Or maybe 10 to 15 days/months depending how things good for Roger.

Agreed. The last Colts' drafts under him were pretty bad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Colts_draft_history#2012_Draft

You're crushing Whaley for the Sammy trade. Polian has had plenty of misfires, especially recently.

I'm not crushing him, but speaking from the standpoint of what a consultant and former GM might use as data points. I highly doubt Pegula is going to tell BP to hands off this area and not that area…..and I highly doubt BP takes a job where he doesn't get to analyze all of it.

Like it or not , the Doug's will have to answer for their drafts.

You're right they all have plenty of misses but to say he built a one man team is ridiculous. All three of their top draft picks got hurt early on #1 in game four, #2 played one game and was lost for the season. I think #3 was lost for the season, too. Their best linebacker Brackett missed the whole year. They were devastated by injuries that season, exemplified by being 14-2 (losing last two games by benching starters) and then 10-6 the previous two years and 11-5 the next year. That wasn't all QB,

I'm not crushing him, but speaking from the standpoint of what a consultant and former GM might use as data points. I highly doubt Pegula is going to tell BP to hands off this area and not that area…..and I highly doubt BP takes a job where he doesn't get to analyze all of it.

Like it or not , the Doug's will have to answer for their drafts.

Whaley's drafts > Polian's last drafts

And if anything, this is Polian giving back. I doubt he needs the money and I'm sure it won't be time consuming. But this would be a great way to end his career and "make things right" with Ralph.

You're right they all have plenty of misses but to say he built a one man team is ridiculous. All three of their top draft picks got hurt early on #1 in game four, #2 played one game and was lost for the season. I think #3 was lost for the season, too. Their best linebacker Brackett missed the whole year. They were devastated by injuries that season, exemplified by being 14-2 (losing last two games by benching starters) and then 10-6 the previous two years and 11-5 the next year. That wasn't all QB,

2-14 is pretty awful. We used to go 7-9 with JP Losman and Trent Edwards. Curtis Painter isn't thatm uch off a drop off.

Fact is, those were not deep Colts teams.

Can we all agree that with Polian in any capacity, the level of football knowledge and competence in the Bills organization goes up considerably? That….is a positive!

I like him in the fold, hopefully searching for a new coach. But I think people are dreaming of Glory Days if they think Polian should have a huge role.

Russ is the straw dog in this debate. He had Ralph's trust and played an important role as a firewall between the football people and Ralph. He convinced Ralph to go along with good decisions such as the Mario Williams signing and deferred to the football people to make decisions concerning the draft, personnel, etc. That being said, I believe he should stay, but be involved only in the marketing side of things.

As for Polian, second acts never seem to work out. Polian is a very polarizing type which may cause problems with Whaley and the things that ARE going right with the organization.

Edited by Wiz

I'm cool with Polian being brought in as a consultant. I'd be surprised if it led to many/any big changes. People are going to be really disappointed that he isn't going to come in and burn the building down. I'd expect changes to the offensive coaching staff. PFT has such little credibility so factor that in.

Edited by Kirby Jackson