Rumor: Polian could return as soon as Monday

Bangarang

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Confora piece is why the media is garbage. He like hacks such as Florio never use names, they cite anonymity (using that as an excuse to make stuff up to drive clicks to make more money). This one is easy to understand. They've all watched the Pegulas take over the Sabres and welcome back former players with open arms, even LaFontaine into management (which worked well). So they basically extrapoltae that out to "This guy will bring in the past" and conveniently there are the Polians. Joke. I can play connect the dots just as well.

I read the headlines and this post and to be honest, I'm perplexed why anyone reads this garbage.... it's rarely true.

Yep, exactly!

A lot of internet buzz about Chris Polian to the Bills replacing Whaley as GM. I would LOVE this move. Whaley swings recklessly for the fences and invariably whiffs. Can't afford to do that with top picks at critical positions. Our organization needs a more shrewd mind for this position, and I think CP might be the perfect choice.

A lot of internet buzz about Chris Polian to the Bills replacing Whaley as GM. I would LOVE this move. Whaley swings recklessly for the fences and invariably whiffs. Can't afford to do that with top picks at critical positions. Our organization needs a more shrewd mind for this position, and I think CP might be the perfect choice.

Based on what exactly? His sterling work in Jacksonville as Director of Personnel, or the way he let the Indy roster crumble so badly that losing his QB for a single season turned them into a 2-14 team from a perennial Superbowl contender?

Where did Whaley wiff?? Kiko, Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Preston Brown, trading for Hughes? You cannot pick %100 but I like his drafts. And before you put a fork in EJ, give him one more shot.

I'm still scratching my head on this one. Chris Polian has been a pretty mediocre football executive so why would we want him.

I am not oppose to having him come in and be a consultant. The guy knows football and would be a good voice to have. At his age I seriously doubt he wants to be a GM or have any type of power play. Its a limited role and knowing what the guy did for the team and the success he has had elsewhere I like the move a lot.

Where did Whaley wiff?? Kiko, Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Preston Brown, trading for Hughes? You cannot pick %100 but I like his drafts. And before you put a fork in EJ, give him one more shot.

Whaley has gotten a lot of talent for this team. Some head scratching moves but a lot of solid picks too. In free agency he let Byrd walk, re-upped Aaron Williams, brought in Gilmore, Spikes, and made some other solid smaller moves like Dan Carpenter (Although he did bring in C.Williams and has had some misteps). If I was rating his tenure it would be a B-, for every bad move he has made there has been 1.5 good moves. That ratio is never going to be perfect but it needs to improve if this team is going to go to the playoffs and beyond.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 3m3 minutes ago

The more I hear, the more I'm inclined to believe Bill Polian will return to the Bills. But nothing guaranteed.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 1m1 minute ago

Two Bills sources tell me no one of note in Bills front office or coaching staff has been informed he WILL be back next season.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 3m3 minutes ago

The more I hear, the more I'm inclined to believe Bill Polian will return to the Bills. But nothing guaranteed.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 1m1 minute ago

Two Bills sources tell me no one of note in Bills front office or coaching staff has been informed he WILL be back next season.

Graham can be a sensationalist (to say the least), so I take his tweets with a big grain of salt. Still, where there's smoke...

Based on what exactly? His sterling work in Jacksonville as Director of Personnel, or the way he let the Indy roster crumble so badly that losing his QB for a single season turned them into a 2-14 team from a perennial Superbowl contender?

I'm not supporting Chris Polian, I know nothing about him. But the tank job they did to land Andrew Luck was nothing short of spectacular. They tanked that season as soon as they knew Manning was out for the year. Sheer Brilliance.

We just went 9-7!!! This staff has rebuilt the team. Seeing some of these post, you would think we were 6-10 again. :doh:

If you told me at the beginning of the year, we would be 9-7 I would have called you nuts! I thought 7-9 maybe 8-8 if we were lucky. :thumbsup:

Sure we should have crushed Oakland and won the KC game. But we also had no business beating Green Bay and Detroit. In Detroit, we got lucky because of a historically bad kicker.

This looks like a 9-7 team. Not a pretender... but not yet a contender either. We are close. Let the same staff work at it one more year.

Yes Pegulia should hire some advisors... but let these guys finish what they started. 2 years ago this team was a joke. Heck, the GM was who... Buddy Nix and before him? Heck even Russ Brandon was acting as a GM at one point (as a figure head for Tom Modrack... who is where now?).

Relax and enjoy this... we are building something here.

Edited by Iraq Vet

Does anybody else think that Polian might be being brought in as the "outside consultant"?

That would not necessarily mean that Whaley is gone.....which frankly I dont want to happen

Yeah, that would make the most sense. Whaley stays. He's building a contender here. Polian's expertise would benefit him without undermining him. Bill doesn't want (or need) to be a GM again at his age. He can just add to Whaley's knowledge base, that's all we need from him now.

If Bill Polian comes aboard it will most likely be in a VP of Football Operations capacity, or possibly a consultant role, with his son Chris as GM. Russ Brandon would be moved completely out of football related duties and relegated to the business side of operations where he belongs. The Polians were very successful together in both Indy and Carolina, and in his brief time as GM in Jacksonville Chris got it right choosing Bortles with the #3 pick.

Where Whaley is clearly in over his head as an NFL GM, the Polian's are savvy, experienced, have a staff of quality scouts at the ready, and are fully involved with the evaluation of this year's draft crop. Pug. And. Play.

I think all the "Lifers" who have been the brain trust of the organization the last 30 years will all be gone....they have over seen the 15 yrs of no playoffs and also saw the dismissal of Polian and Butler...

Gone - Littman, Overdorf, Brandon - thats where the real 'clean house' will occur

If Bill Polian comes aboard it will most likely be in a VP of Football Operations capacity, or possibly a consultant role, with his son Chris as GM. Russ Brandon would be moved completely out of football related duties and relegated to the business side of operations where he belongs. The Polians were very successful together in both Indy and Carolina, and in his brief time as GM in Jacksonville Chris got it right choosing Bortles with the #3 pick.

Chris Polian is Director of Pro Personnel In Jacksonville, which means he is responsible for players already in the NFL, not drafting or college scouting. So even if you want to anoint the Bortles pick as "getting it right", despite his 3-11 record as a starter and largely underwhelming stat lines, he gets no credit for it.

Instead, look at FA acquisitions if you want to see what he's done.

Also, he allowed the Indy roster to flag once he was given the GM post.

Where Whaley is clearly in over his head as an NFL GM, the Polian's are savvy, experienced, have a staff of quality scouts at the ready, and are fully involved with the evaluation of this year's draft crop. Pug. And. Play.

Exactly how is Whaley over his head?

I love Polian. Genius almost.

But I really love Whaley too. The next generation Polian maybe.

I'm all for Polian coming, as long as Whaley remains GM. Whaley has a plan. He has built a strong, hungry, young team. He has no QB, but I dont think Polian can come here and magically find one either.

Come to think of it, since I love Whaley so much, I'm actually NOT on board with Polian coming in. Your time came and you did well, but your time was long ago. Stop trying so hard to prop up your son. He will sink or swim on his own merit.

In today's NFL, Whaley has shown that he has it. Chris Polian, notsomuch.

Polian's Indy team fell apart like a cheap toy after Manning left. The guy is much loved for the Bills Super Bowl years, but that was OVER twenty years ago. The game, FA, draft, etc. are much different now.

Lots of incorrect stuff in here.

It is disturbing to me as a Bills fan that a vocal portion of the fan base are supportive of shakeups and house clearing after our first winning season in 1.5 decades. I just listened to the press conference on WGR and the comments afterwards were that this team was at least 50% better than last years team, BUT they don't like Marrone coz is not good with words. Personally I could not care how entertaining the press conferences are as I only care about the games. I loved that we got a lot tougher this year (without getting dirty like Detroit) and took games to people on a physical level. This team under Whaley and Marrone will continue to improve. I cannot wait to see what they do at QB and OL. I enjoyed this season like I have not enjoy others in recent years. Why is there even conversation about blowing this up the day after our first ever win in Foxboro. Wait till next year when the experts are picking winners and losers before the season. Those games against Buffalo wont be gimmes any longer.

It is disturbing to me as a Bills fan that a vocal portion of the fan base are supportive of shakeups and house clearing after our first winning season in 1.5 decades. I just listened to the press conference on WGR and the comments afterwards were that this team was at least 50% better than last years team, BUT they don't like Marrone coz is not good with words. Personally I could not care how entertaining the press conferences are as I only care about the games. I loved that we got a lot tougher this year (without getting dirty like Detroit) and took games to people on a physical level. This team under Whaley and Marrone will continue to improve. I cannot wait to see what they do at QB and OL. I enjoyed this season like I have not enjoy others in recent years. Why is there even conversation about blowing this up the day after our first ever win in Foxboro. Wait till next year when the experts are picking winners and losers before the season. Those games against Buffalo wont be gimmes any longer.

We don't have the brightest fanbase

Chris Polian is nothing. Just another case of nepotism in a league with too much of it already. I mean, it appears as if he parlayed his Buffalo high school connection with Jax GM Dave Caldwell to get the Jax job in the first place.

He was hired on May 2, 2013. Here are Jax's transactions in 2014. A whole lotta nothing, as far as I can tell. Look at the March transactions. They signed a bunch of nobodies outside of Chris Clemons (8 sacks), which was down from his best years with the Seahawks. Most importantly, they cut Justin Forsett in March. Jason Babin voided his contract and went to the Jets.

They signed Clay Harbor, who had 26 catches as a tight end. Neither Cameron Bradfield nor Sam Young, their 2 o-line FA signings in March, started for the team.

http://espn.go.com/n...onville-jaguars

Jax is awful. Probably the worst offense in the league (32nd in points; 31st in yards; 32nd in points per drive) and a terrible defense (26th in both points and yards allowed).

Anyway, a classic case of failing upwards.

Edited by dave mcbride

Polian is so old and inept, he doesn't event know it's Monday and he's supposed to already be working for the Bills! Or maybe he's just waiting until after 4:20pm EST to sign (gotta get his head clear)...

Way to fail Russ!

Chris Polian is Director of Pro Personnel In Jacksonville, which means he is responsible for players already in the NFL, not drafting or college scouting. So even if you want to anoint the Bortles pick as "getting it right", despite his 3-11 record as a starter and largely underwhelming stat lines, he gets no credit for it.

Actually, the Director Of Pro Personnel is responsible for heading the scouting personnel for both the college draft and pro talent evaluation. Please explain the following in detail.

1. Why do you believe the position as Chris Polian served is different than how it's outlined for every other Director of Pro Personnel as identified by the NFL?

2. While Bortles did have some struggles as a rookie, virtually everyone believes he upgraded the position for the Jags when installed as starter. Most agree he showed enough athleticism, leadership and toughness to earn his job as starter and position taken in the draft. Please defend your position against this consensus, and provide specific examples of other insiders who share your opinion.

Also, he allowed the Indy roster to flag once he was given the GM post.

So, you conveniently chose to ignore his long history of successes with Indianapolis to focus on the season that fell apart without Manning? Guess that means you believe Bill Polian is also an abject failure since he was his boss at the time. Please clarify the following.

1. Provide a detailed explanation of why you apparently believe Bill Polian doesn't deserve credit for the success of the Colts franchise, and why he is not worthy of being a to be a hall of famer.

2. Provide credible evidence of your inferred claim that Chris Polian was not responsible for the success of helping build the Colts, and before that the Panthers, to prominence in the NFL.

3. Give sourced evidence to defend how you apparently believe Whaley would have done a better than the Polians if placed in the same capacity when nobody else in the football world would ever make such a ridiculous argument.

Exactly how is Whaley over his head?

It is widely believed in football circles that Whaley has made very expensive mistakes at the top of the draft, and his FA success has been mixed at best. Against all conventional wisdom, Whaley kept CJ Spiller on the roster when the team had a window to trade him for some value. He also bungled the QB position two years in a row, first signing damaged goods QB Kevin Kolb without doing proper due dilligence, and then left the position in chaos thispreseason, waiting until the week of the regular season opener to overpay for journeyman Kyle Orton, who eventually took over and did a sub-par job in relief of his top pick bust EJ Manuel.

These are only some of the reasons he is widely regarded to be in over his head. You apparently have the contrarian opinion, therefore please explain beyond reasonable doubt why your minority opinion has merit.

Whaley has been better than Chris Polian by pretty much any measure. It doesn't mean that he is perfect but the grass isn't always greener....

Whaley's experience has been in pro player evalualion and that really showed with his pickups this year. IMO, he's still learning the college talent evaluation side and has had a few misses to go with the hits. Still, I agree, he's shown much, much more than Chris Polian and it would be a mistake to go that direction...

Actually, the Director Of Pro Personnel is responsible for heading the scouting personnel for both the college draft and pro talent evaluation. Please explain the following in detail.

This is not true.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Who-is-the-Pro-Personnel-Director.html

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2013-06-22/story/fresh-start-jaguars-chris-polian

There is a position called Director of Player Personnel, which might be what you're thinking of. That is not Polian's position.

Dave Caldwell is the GM in Jax and has the power.