Trade Kiko?

Utah John

I'd be hard pressed to justify spikes limited snaps at 4m per over kiko 3 downs at 800k per. Rarely do I argue shed spending but I think this is a great spot to allocate money elsewhere

I think we shed spikes and Lawson to keep the front 4

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a defense that is great at getting to the QB. We are NOT, however, a dominant defense, our performance last night notwithstanding. Kiko Alonso at WLB would take us a step closer to being dominant. There's a lot to like about our LBs, but they've been exposed on several occasions this year, especially in the passing game.

Kiko is simply a playmaker at the position. The minute he comes back, assuming he's healthy, he becomes our best LB on the team.

GO BILLS!!!

OK, I'm not trolling or being intentionally argumentative. But here goes. We have a great defensive line, not just the starters but every backup as well. We have three really good LBs on the field, plus adequate backups. Where will Kiko fit next year, if the Bills are able to bring Spikes back?

On the other hand, the Bills desperately need upgrades at a couple of positions on the offensive side, and they could stand an upgrade at safety as well.

The question is, as good as Kiko is, would you trade him for a really good, proven, QB? How about two dominant offensive lineman? Or would you never want to trade him and are thinking of coming out to Utah to explain things to me in person?

Uh, what really good proven QB do you have in mind, and why do you think that team would trade him for an injured LB who had one promising season?

All those teams with 7-8 pro bowl lineman do it all the time

No you got it all wrong. Two teams will each contribute a pro bowl lineman, and then those teams will share Kiko. Or cut him in half? They will figure it out, the thing that matters is that we have two pro bowl linemen now!

WHY DO PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT TO TRADE AWAY OUR GOOD PLAYERS THAT WERE DRAFTED?

so that we can draft good players!!!

Edited by What a Tuel

I doubt Brown or Bradham would be the ones getting pushed to the bench. They both already get more snaps than Spikes because they can both play the run and the pass well. Spikes would likely only be used in obvious running downs.

Precisely.

If there is a franchise QB in the top 10, why would a team trade that pick for a LB?

Kiko is our best LB in terms of coverage, something we still lack. Spikes was a good one year rental, but it would be ridiculous to prioritize him or offer him a large contract over guys like Marcell Dareus or Jerry Hughes. Period. And if you keep Spikes on a smaller deal, he can be used as depth and on obvious running downs.

The fact that Preston Brown has received all of the snaps in place of Keith Rivers is very telling. This team obviously is very high on Brown, and should be, because he has shown quite a bit of potential.

Kiko/Bradham/Brown/Spikes/Rivers is a good LB core to me.

OK, I'm not trolling or being intentionally argumentative. But here goes. We have a great defensive line, not just the starters but every backup as well. We have three really good LBs on the field, plus adequate backups. Where will Kiko fit next year, if the Bills are able to bring Spikes back?

On the other hand, the Bills desperately need upgrades at a couple of positions on the offensive side, and they could stand an upgrade at safety as well.

The question is, as good as Kiko is, would you trade him for a really good, proven, QB? How about two dominant offensive lineman? Or would you never want to trade him and are thinking of coming out to Utah to explain things to me in person?

only for a proven QB or if Connor Cook come out.

• 3 months later...

Well done OP on the foresight of Alonso being expendable. 99% of fans didn't think so.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Interesting that this thread comes back up, from 25 Nov. Truth be told, a few weeks later, during the last couple games of the season there in Dec., I threw out a thought to a friend after the Packers game, that the Bills might use Alonzo as trade bait for a quarterback during the offseason. At the time, I thought that they might consider that, seeing how well our defense performed w/out him, and the great need for a better qb.

The only type of player i would consider trading a young talent like that for would be a good franchise QB. And no team is going to trade a good franchise QB for a LB.

Looks like that was true,

SLB - Bradham

MLB - Brown

WLB - Kiko

Best linebacking crew in the league!

Welp

WHY DO PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT TO TRADE AWAY OUR GOOD PLAYERS THAT WERE DRAFTED?

For McCoy trade away.

Well done OP on the foresight of Alonso being expendable. 99% of fans didn't think so.

if we were running the schwartz scheme this move probably doesnt get done. WLB for JS wouldve been a textbook fit and saved money which wouldve helped justify a contract for hughes (since hes more key in the scheme too).

i dont think the op saying kiko for a proven qb or 2 dominant lineman is particularly insightful even having seen this trade in hindsight.

if we were running the schwartz scheme this move probably doesnt get done. WLB for JS wouldve been a textbook fit and saved money which wouldve helped justify a contract for hughes (since hes more key in the scheme too).

i dont think the op saying kiko for a proven qb or 2 dominant lineman is particularly insightful even having seen this trade in hindsight.

If not mistaken that thread was before the stretch when the Bills shut down Manning, Rodgers and Brady on defense. And it became truly elite in many people's eyes. Then add Rex Ryan to the mix and Kiko becomes far less important. Then add Roman and the offense they want to run and Shady to the equation and you can see why people reacted now the way they did.

If you added Rex Ryan and LeSean McCoy to the equation this would have been a totally different thread.

If not mistaken that thread was before the stretch when the Bills shut down Manning, Rodgers and Brady on defense. And it became truly elite in many people's eyes. Then add Rex Ryan to the mix and Kiko becomes far less important. Then add Roman and the offense they want to run and Shady to the equation and you can see why people reacted now the way they did.

Details don't matter! :beer:

lmao at all the experts calling the OP an idiot.

I love threads like this.

Looking back a year on threads is often hilarious and illuminating.

If the OP in this thread had waited until after we had shut down Manning, Rodgers, and Brady with our defense, and then said, what if we get Rex Ryan as our head coach, would you trade Kiko for Shady McCoy? Everyone would have had a different answer and it very likely would have looked exactly like the threads this week.