What show to start?

The Underdog

Sunday night, 9.17 on PBS is the first episode of Ken Burns' Vietnam War series.

Can't wait to watch this! Got part 1 DVR'd. In an attempt to distract myself from politics, I made a conscious decision to watch more football, and less news this fall...depressing, huh? But, this looks great...

If you started The Deuce last night but haven't finished then I think you're into The Strain

lol!!!

If you started The Deuce last night but haven't finished then I think you're into The Strain

Same producer (or is it writer?) as The Wire...which also starts out a bit slow but then it just unfolds and you do not look back.. The first episode of The Deuce followed this path exactly. Can't wait to watch last nights epidote this week.

We've been watching that also, along with What Would Diplo Do on Viceland. A surprise for me was Kelly likes Manhunt Unabomber on Discovery. She binged three episodes with me last night.

I just noticed you've been doing a lot of this we've been, we've been, we we we we we... So whipped 🚀

Just started watching Narcos. Awesome show..

which one is narcos?

Even though it's only been the first two episodes, 'The Vietnam War' may be Ken Burns' best work ever and I don't think I could say anything better than that about this documentary. Riveting in every respect and I hope educational institutions make it required viewing. Had no idea about some of the historical context to the conflict.

I just finished the 10 episodes which were released on Netflix in July. My fave was the last episode. Lots of great characters in this show. It was recently renewed by Netflix for season 2.

Bateman stars, produces, and sometimes directs. I am quite certain the Ozark Chamber of Commerce is not endorsing this series.

Thanks for the recommendation as I just finished the season. It felt like Breaking Bad on xanax, but it never lost my attention.

Edited by Doc Brown

Even though it's only been the first two episodes, 'The Vietnam War' may be Ken Burns' best work ever and I don't think I could say anything better than that about this documentary. Riveting in every respect and I hope educational institutions make it required viewing. Had no idea about some of the historical context to the conflict.

I am only through episode 1, and I agree with you. I have seen every Burns film to date at least 2 times, this one episode at least is THE BEST

Ballers is a guilty pleasure of mine. I know it's ridiculous, but it's about football so I continue to follow along. Mt wife makes fun of me for watching it (yet she watches Desperate Housewives). I like your idea for the show about the "dirty dealings" of college football and recruiting. Last Chance U was pretty good.

thanks for the recommendation on Last Chance U. binge watched it and it's a pretty good show. the coach reminds me of my coach in high school (huge a-hole). i feel bad for those kids. when they don't make it in football then what are they going to do? instead of Last Chance U it should be called No Chance U. maybe a couple have made it but there's like 50 something kids on those teams that think they have a chance and have no plan B. very sad.

for fans of the show, UB is playing Florida Atlantic tonight at home! the QB for FAU is the QB from season 2 of Last Chance U and the WR is the backup QB from season 1

Watched about the first 30 minutes or so of Vietnam last night. Thought I knew a fair amount of the Vietnam War and its origins. I knew very little.

If that first 30 minutes is an indication, the rest should be fantastic.

I am now through the first 3 episodes. I've been watching the "explicit" versions streaming at the PBS website. They aren't the cleaned up versions aired on TV.

The first episode you reference was riveting and the best I've seen so far.

Still a long way to go, but if anyone was going to only watch a portion of this to further their education, I would say watch the first episode, about 1H 20 M long.

It sets the stage for how the US came to be involved in Vietnam, and explains how and why the war was beyond doomed to failure from the start.

Just great viewing.

Mike Judge Tales From the Tour Bus

Just started on Cinemax. He is doing Country Music in the first season and may move to rap or metal next season. I am not much of a c-w fan but enjoyed the humorous takes in the first two episodes on Johnny Paycheck and Jerry Lee Lewis. Unknown story exposes revealed by their 'friends', relatives, and band mates. Like the animation of the people instead of the video interviews.

Judge known for Beavis&Butthead, Silicon Valley, King of the Road.

Some info: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/tales-from-the-tour-bus-mike-judges-country-music-history-romp-w503523

• 2 weeks later...

Mindhunter (Netflix) is a very, very good show, IMO. You have to make it through the first episode, which is kind of "clumsy," but it essentially sets up the story. Murder mystery/drama/forensic psychology deliciousness.

I highly recommend...

Yeah, we blew through that in a week. I didn't realize the series was only 10 episodes so when #10 ended we were like "NOOOOOOO....."

This should be released soon:

One of my favorite shows! I actually have conflicted feelings about it coming out because I'm going to blow through it in a weekend and then have to wait another year and half to get another one....and that will likely be the last of it.

• 2 weeks later...