A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing QB doesn't change the HC/OC problem. This coaching staff calls plays as if they are petrified of mistakes just like the Dick Jauron regime did. It's pure torture watching them on offense.

Until this coaching staff puts together a professional offensive game plan, nothing will change. BTW, I don't even care anymore who the starting QB is, I want accountability with regards to the offensive play calling.

Don't know that & won't until we see what they do with another QB. How much is the playbook limited by the man behind center?

I was as angry at this game as any in recent memory. We let them off the hook at the end of the first by allowing conversions twice on third and long, and with our db making a horrible play on the td. Then the non-spike was absurd, followed by the 3 yard pass in bounds. Idiotic. All the timeouts were long gone because EJ had to walk to the sidelines to find out magical plays that accomplished little.

Then the handoff to Watts for pick 6 after we got the ball on their 20. 14 point turnaround. We should have been up by 20 at that point.

Pinned at the 1 yard line, I might have punted on first down. Twice.

EJ's in over his head. He should be depressed.

How about Rivers not touching Arian Foster down and allowing him to roll for the first down, thereby extending the Texans last drive at at around the 3:00 mark? That was breathtakingly stupid. Honestly he should be suspended for the first quarter of the next game or something to set an example to the team. There are mistakes and there are things that you can literally never be seen doing on a football field. That was the latter.

4) Let's see....we are near midfield with 30 something seconds before the half, and no timeouts. Do you spike the ball and set up a few plays? No? OK, let's line up and throw an inbounds 3 yard pass. Marrone and Hackett are not up to the task. They are sub-par coaches who are WAY over their heads. So is Brandon who hired these Syracuse cronies. Hopefully, they will all be fired, and they can take Whaley with them.

10) If Marrone has a hair on his ass he would bench EJ vs. the Lions. Orton may not be that good, but he is a professional quarterback. And I am guessing that if Orton makes a good play, he won't feel the need to stare up into the screen. That said, Marrone probably will not do this. He and Whaley are clinging to their last shred of hope. It's sickening.

13) Yeah, this game was on EJ. He was no better than Thad Lewis today or even Tuel. I am calling for him to be immediately benched. If you disagree, please tell me how much time you care to give him, ok?

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The coaches can't bench EJ just yet, and as much as he sucked today...those are growing pains. The guy still hasn't even played a full 16 games yet, 2 games to go. I agree that EJ is painful to watch at times but then think of how un innovative Hackett is with the run game with two of the very best RB's in the game. We need to give him time with some real NFL coaches, after these assclowns get fired.

I look at Sammy Watkins dropping how many passes before he finally caught some? I look at the Bills play calls to come out passing against the 27th ranked run defense? I look at 3rd down and short and go pass with a suspect QB, and drop happy receiving corp. I look at Spiller up the middle, and find only the backs of his blockers, again.

Lastly, I gotta say I love me some Fred Jackson. Makes three defenders miss to get his yards. Its Ok Hackett, just have EJ keep throwing

How about Rivers not touching Arian Foster down and allowing him to roll for the first down, thereby extending the Texans last drive at at around the 3:00 mark? That was breathtakingly stupid. Honestly he should be suspended for the first quarter of the next game or something to set an example to the team. There are mistakes and there are things that you can literally never be seen doing on a football field. That was the latter.

Exactly! He shouldn't have played the rest of the game after that! The team captains should've been all over him. It was a quitters mentality.

Freddy is surely the lifesblood of this offense. I wish CJ would run with his determination.

Watching Bortles and Bridgewater is really hurting. They are both playing gutsy and the latter is helping his team keep up with one of the league's best offenses.

The coaches can't bench EJ just yet, and as much as he sucked today...those are growing pains. The guy still hasn't even played a full 16 games yet, 2 games to go. I agree that EJ is painful to watch at times but then think of how un innovative Hackett is with the run game with two of the very best RB's in the game. We need to give him time with some real NFL coaches, after these assclowns get fired.

I look at Sammy Watkins dropping how many passes before he finally caught some? I look at the Bills play calls to come out passing against the 27th ranked run defense? I look at 3rd down and short and go pass with a suspect QB, and drop happy receiving corp. I look at Spiller up the middle, and find only the backs of his blockers, again.

Lastly, I gotta say I love me some Fred Jackson. Makes three defenders miss to get his yards. Its Ok Hackett, just have EJ keep throwing

I look at EJ not being able to hit a player in stride. I see EJ not reading blitzes. I see EJ looking downfield w WR completely open and not passing the ball to them. I see EJ not running when he should. I see EJ scared.

That being said, i also agree about Hackett.

Yea... That was incredibly bad. About as bad as it gets.

Don't know that & won't until we see what they do with another QB. How much is the playbook limited by the man behind center?

The Bills run game has two of the very best RB's in the league, and yet Hackett can't figure out how to utilize them to their fullest. Why do you expect them to be innovative with EJ or the receiving corps?

The Bills just faced the 27th ranked run defense, and came out throwing. Hackett, Marrone will never change and things should only get worse with the Bills headed for Detroit who are the #2 team in the NFL against the run

EJ's ENTIRE game is based on not throwing a pick NO MATTER WHAT, and not taking a hit NO MATTER WHAT.

EJ is the second coming of Trent Edwards. Clueless,and hopeless.

Have to agree...Trentative is exactly who I was thinking of today.

Captain Checkdown 2.0 did just that today and Watt made him pay dearly. Clearly was a game changer and don't think for one minute that their opponents aren't going to forget that play.

Changing QB doesn't change the HC/OC problem. This coaching staff calls plays as if they are petrified of mistakes just like the Dick Jauron regime did. It's pure torture watching them on offense.

Until this coaching staff puts together a professional offensive game plan, nothing will change. BTW, I don't even care anymore who the starting QB is, I want accountability with regards to the offensive play calling.

It wasn't the play calling that threw the ball directly to Watt from the 12 yard line and it wasn't the play calling that was missing wide open recievers and not seeing others all day long. That my friend rests solely on the shoulders of one EJ Manuel. He was absolutely horrible and it would not have mattered one iota what plays were called. He just flat out can not execute them.

A good coach masks a lot of QB problems. A good QB masks a lot of coaching problems.

I did not watch the game. I knew we were going to lose. I knew that Fitz and the Texans were going to win it. Listening to the game and hearing Fitz, good and bad plays, I was still excited to hear what he can do. It was and it is exciting to watch him play. This is not against EJ, what I have said is nothing to take away from him but hearing Fitzpatrick to throw or lining his guys up, etc. It was nice.

Either way, not much to say. Yet.

But, on regards to Manuel scrambling and looking scared? I was a Fitz fan because he NEVER played scared. The ribs being hurt, the INT's he may throw, nothing scared the guy. That's Fitz magic.

Anyone think if we swapped QBs we win that game?

Can anyone else see that the team and the QB are being coached conservatively to minimize the chance of Manuel making mistakes?

Not that he'd be any better with the leash off...but complaining that EJ's game is based on never making a mistake completely misses the root of the problem. Bill's #7 is a good example of this, too...as is the game plan at the start of the game: how many times did they line up a spread formation, empty backfield, RB in the slot, and let the best pass rusher in the game tee off on their mediocre-at-best QB? Completely asinine game plan.

Exactyl how I see it. The offensive game plan is timid and scared with all the wrong plays called at all the wrong times. They're literally making it as hard as possible to move the ball by creating the worst situations possible. This is Jauron ball at it's finest.

The Bills run game has two of the very best RB's in the league, and yet Hackett can't figure out how to utilize them to their fullest. Why do you expect them to be innovative with EJ or the receiving corps?

The Bills just faced the 27th ranked run defense, and came out throwing. Hackett, Marrone will never change and things should only get worse with the Bills headed for Detroit who are the #2 team in the NFL against the run

I don't think I said that I expect anything, but let me check...nope, never said that. What I said was that we can't "know" until there's a different guy behind center.

It wasn't the play calling that threw the ball directly to Watt from the 12 yard line and it wasn't the play calling that was missing wide open recievers and not seeing others all day long. That my friend rests solely on the shoulders of one EJ Manuel. He was absolutely horrible and it would not have mattered one iota what plays were called. He just flat out can not execute them.

It was the play calling that called for 2 consecutive run plays up the middle after a turnover, to set up the 3rd down throw that everyone watching knew was coming. It was the play calling that called for a RB to run out of the backfield on JJ Watt's side of the field.

The game plan seemed to be.. forget about Watt, if we play hard and execute we can beat him one on one. Well, guess what... they can't and they didn't. The Texans have one weapon on defense and we did nothing to game plan around him.

I've said it before but EJ is Jason Campbell 2.0. The games he can win are when you run for 150-200 yards, your defense gets you a few turnovers and even then the game will probably be close. Surrounding him with weapons--our runningbacks and receivers is like glueing a bunch of plastic/ground effects on a Chevy Cavalier---it looks OK but its still a Cavalier, its not a sports car. And EJ is not an NFL QB you are going to win with.

Freddy is surely the lifesblood of this offense. I wish CJ would run with his determination.

Watching Bortles and Bridgewater is really hurting. They are both playing gutsy and the latter is helping his team keep up with one of the league's best offenses.

And you could add Mike Glennon if you want to go back one draft.

The team is playing at a severe disadvantage every week with the QB position. It isn't fair to the rest of the players, I feel bad for those guys.

The play calling could be better but honestly there were open WRs all game long and EJ threw it in the dirt or sailed it out of bounds again. What is with his lob throws? Is that all he can do? I haven't seen 1 strike from him his whole career where he steps up and delivers a bullet to a WR in stride. He is downright terrible and a disgrace to the position.

Bring in ORTON, they sure are paying him enough.

Yea... That was incredibly bad. About as bad as it gets.

When you see something so stupid at such an important juncture of a game that there is no possible explanation for it don't be surprised to find out that the NFL was investigating your personal business soon thereafter. It was that dumb.

You're right, I don't know that. I actually don't care what they do in regards to who starts. Manuel is a deer in headlights.

However having said that, you've got a week to prepare and the first play you call is a pass to your fullback in the flat???? LOL Can I once see the deep ball off a play action play on first down? IMO the HC/OC is also major problem just like it was with the Dick Jauron crew. In that case it was both the coaching and the QB being the problems which it's starting to look like this is the case again with the Bills right now.

How shameful is it when you use three 1st rd picks in the last two years on QB/WR to pump up your passing offense and you make game plans like this? There's something seriously wrong with whats going on with this offense and it's not just one person to blame. I hope a reporter asks Marrone what gives with using three 1st round picks on QB/WR and then we see the most conservative offense in the NFL. It's just not logical in any way.

I don't think I said that I expect anything, but let me check...nope, never said that. What I said was that we can't "know" until there's a different guy behind center.

Well, forgive me, and let me rephrase that. I should have asked how much is the playbook limited by the RB's? 44 passes for EJ vs 23 rushes, and the RB (FJ) with the hot hand only saw 7 run touches.

Hackett can't seem to find ways to get Spiller & Freddy more involved when he had to know that by passing so much he was running face first into the teeth of that Houston defense.

EJ isn't going to learn with Orton playing, and EJ needs to play. Yea, EJ could be limiting the play calls and scheme, but then why have the guy throw 44 times? Why not run more?

IMO The Bills game plans are bad, schemes are bad. The WR's don't seem to be in sync with the QB, stupid penalties, and on and on. Did EJ stink it up, you bet! I just happen to think the coaches are the bigger problem.

I was most disheartened with the 2 minute drill at the end of the half. I don't know if it was EJ or Marrone, but someone screwed up mightily.

Woods was interfered with but even if not the throw was just up for grabs....like a desperation throw. For no reason. If a reasonable look isn't there, throw it away.

Another thing that gets me is that Watt interception. I've heard people say it was just a great play by Watt but EJ missed the blitz from the backside and threw the ball right where they thought he would based on their alignment. The DB was closing on Fred, there was no first down to be had there even if it got past Watt. He missed a number of things that were happening defensively on the side OPPOSITE of Watt. I haven't really seen that particular problem regularly so I think it's safe to say he was in EJ's head. Bottom line is that it's tackle football EJ. QB's don't get knocked out of games with concussions very often anymore so just stand in there and play football.

Well, forgive me, and let me rephrase that. I should have asked how much is the playbook limited by the RB's? 44 passes for EJ vs 23 rushes, and the RB (FJ) with the hot hand only saw 7 run touches.

Hackett can't seem to find ways to get Spiller & Freddy more involved when he had to know that by passing so much he was running face first into the teeth of that Houston defense.

EJ isn't going to learn with Orton playing, and EJ needs to play. Yea, EJ could be limiting the play calls and scheme, but then why have the guy throw 44 times? Why not run more?

IMO The Bills game plans are bad, schemes are bad. The WR's don't seem to be in sync with the QB, stupid penalties, and on and on. Did EJ stink it up, you bet! I just happen to think the coaches are the bigger problem.

I forgive you.

No EJ does not need to play. What you see is what you are going to get. It's Orton time.

For years QBs learned behind vets. It is only recently that the NFL has moved away from that, much to the detriment of the player. It is because there is no patience, not because the philosophy isn't sound.

Texans got rolled last week by NY Giants running backs for 200 yards. Hackett starts the gaming with passing plays. That was with a Offensive line starting 2 rookies and a stiff (Pears) against an undersized Houston Defense that loves to rush the QB. That is classic coaching over think. EJ has no confidence. It is gone. After 2 good weeks the last 2 are brutal. His mechanics are off and he guides the ball. What I observe is the routes called don't favor EJ. These long go routes on 3rd and 8 are baffling. I watch other teams do crossing routes, up and outs or quick slants against the Bills. How about they implement a few? I have this too many times and I am calling it now: this team does not make the playoffs.

Usually when I watch an NFL game I think how scary fast the passes are thrown. I wouldn't want one of those passes to hit me and there is no way that I would even try to catch one. From what I can tell, EJ does not throw passes like that. Not at all. No zip. Is he afraid to?

unbelievable. he stood next to him and watched him get the first.

Woods was interfered with but even if not the throw was just up for grabs....like a desperation throw. For no reason. If a reasonable look isn't there, throw it away.

Another thing that gets me is that Watt interception. I've heard people say it was just a great play by Watt but EJ missed the blitz from the backside and threw the ball right where they thought he would based on their alignment. The DB was closing on Fred, there was no first down to be had there even if it got past Watt. He missed a number of things that were happening defensively on the side OPPOSITE of Watt. I haven't really seen that particular problem regularly so I think it's safe to say he was in EJ's head. Bottom line is that it's tackle football EJ. QB's don't get knocked out of games with concussions very often anymore so just stand in there and play football.

I meant the end of the first half. When EJ ran up after gaining yards, didn't spike it, then threw it to Fred on the exact same play, where he had no chance to get out of bounds,

The team is playing at a severe disadvantage every week with the QB position. It isn't fair to the rest of the players, I feel bad for those guys.

The play calling could be better but honestly there were open WRs all game long and EJ threw it in the dirt or sailed it out of bounds again. What is with his lob throws? Is that all he can do? I haven't seen 1 strike from him his whole career where he steps up and delivers a bullet to a WR in stride. He is downright terrible and a disgrace to the position.

Sure you did. The pass to Sammy on the slant in the first was about 150 mph

I think it's safe to say that this regime has fully mismanaged the QB position and it will and should cost them their jobs. Everything from the backup QB, guards, scheme, and game planning has been royally bungled, and now EJ's confidence most likely is destroyed. It's over, I'm sorry to say it but I've been a fan long enough to know when a QB has been ruined.

Not saying EJ was the right guy anyway, but now we'll never know, because the Dougs have set a dumpster fire to his career with piss-poor strategic planning. The fact that his college "mental coach" (therapist) is back in the picture tells me all I need to know.

Sorry folks, feel free to hang onto the "he's only played 15 games" and "wait and see" mentality, but I'm not getting on board. I've seen all I need to see.

EJ is toast.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I think the players know they will struggle to win with EJ. No one seems fired up because theyre working at a disadvantage.

At the same time I just don't understand throwing 44 times if I'm Hackett or Marrone (whoever called plays) and not trying to win with the run game. Perhaps I'm missing something, but if they've tried to minimize EJ's weaknesses, running more than 23 times seems like a better option.

Agreed. They game planned around Miami DE Cameron Wake very effectively and then this against arguably the best DE in the league?

the Big Difference is that Watt lines up all over the D Line so its extremely difficult to key in on a game plan for him...The Man is unreal, Right now he is the best player in football, You watch he is changing the way the Defensive Line position is played the same way Lawrence Taylor did the linebacker position. Organizations will be looking for versatile players that can create havoc no matter where they are lined up at.