A Few Rare Pre-Game Thoughts And Ramblings.....

Bill from NYC

I normally resist the temptation to cite the importance of individual games. They all seem to be just SO important, but this one sticks out imo so I want to address it.....

1) Houston can be beat, and it would be an important road win in a conference game.

2) Win or lose, it will be a tall order for this inexperienced coaching staff to win next week on the road for the 2nd week, in a dome, against a very talented Lions team. Not impossible mind you, but a VERY tough task.

3) EJ will be tested because of Watt, who is tearing up the league. Every EJ scenario exists:

a) He could step up and take over the game.

b) He could suck.

c) He could get hurt and Orton could win (or lose).

d) Anything else.

4) 3-1 is a beautiful thing. Yes, we have been down the road of good starts before only to see to see them go sour. That said, 3-1 is still a nice situation.

5) A win, coupled with a loss from ANY of our divisional opponents (let alone more than 1) would be HUGE. And this division isn't looking all that great, ya know?

So there it is. On Sunday I will be happier than the norm if we win and more disappointed if we lose. I truly do want this game big time! Bills Fans probably need this game more than the team does. :)

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

I'm most interested in how the Bills run the ball to set up the pass. Without the former it'll be increasingly difficult to do the latter. EJ needs to keep the defense on their toes with some passes down-field.

Defensively, I think Buffalo can handle Fitz and Houston's offense. But the Bills can't just hope to Jauron ball and expect to win with defense and a weak offensive performance. Besides, you don't draft Watkins and have the remaining skill players to do that.

I normally resist the temptation to cite the importance of individual games. They all seem to be just SO important, but this one sticks out imo so I want to address it.....

1) Houston can be beat, and it would be an important road win in a conference game.

2) Win or lose, it will be a tall order for this inexperienced coaching staff to win next week on the road for the 2nd week, in a dome, against a very talented Lions team. Not impossible mind you, but a VERY tough task.

3) EJ will be tested because of Watt, who is tearing up the league. Every EJ scenario exists:

b) He could suck.

d) Anything else.

4) 3-1 is a beautiful thing. Yes, we have been down the road of good starts before only to see to see them go sour. That said, 3-1 is still a nice situation.

5) A win, coupled with a loss from ANY of our divisional opponents (let alone more than 1) would be HUGE. And this division isn't looking all that great, ya know?

So there it is. On Sunday I will be happier than the norm if we win and more disappointed if we lose. I truly do want this game big time! Bills Fans probably need this game more than the team does. :)

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> 1) Houston can be beat, and it would be an important road win in a conference game.

Agreed. I expect this to be a hard-fought, close, exciting game. However, I also feel the odds of Houston winning are better than 50/50.

> 2) Win or lose, it will be a tall order for this inexperienced coaching staff to win next week on the road for the 2nd week, in a dome, against a very talented Lions team.

Agreed. If the Bills go 1-1 over the next two games, I'd be reasonably pleased. Considering where the team is at, anything more than 1-1 over the next two games would be difficult.

> 3) EJ will be tested because of Watt,

With a name like Watt, he should be playing for the Chargers! :o

The problem that Watt represents can largely be overcome with good game planning and coaching. If Manuel pretty much knows where he's going with the ball before the snap, he should be able to get it there about as quickly as most other starting QBs. Granted, this implies that Manuel would only be making one read on each play. But being a one read QB isn't exactly venturing into uncharted territory for him.

> That said, 3-1 is still a nice situation.

Don't get ahead of yourself. :)

> On Sunday I will be happier than the norm if we win and more disappointed if we lose.

The game will be an important measuring stick. Not just for the team as a whole, but for individual players. Can the offensive line bounce back from its poor showing last week? Will the secondary improve? Will the WR corps continue to look like one of the best in the league? The more of these individual matchups we win, the more comfortable I'll feel about the team going forward; regardless of whether we win. If (for example) the Bills get dominated in most phases of the game, but win anyway due to a few fluke Houston mistakes, I'll take the win. But I wouldn't see a game like that as a harbinger of good things to come for the rest of the season.

3-1 will be important in the divisional race though Houston is obviously not in the division. More important to me in this game is that the Oline and EJ respond to what happened last week. The NFL can be a copycat league and SD clearly exposed the Bills weakness at guards and EJ's inability to respond.

I want to see them come out throwing early, with the scripted plays as a bunch of intermediate timing patterns designed to get EJ comfortable (a lot like the opening drive of the Carolina preseason game).

Accomplishes two things: establishes confidence by getting EJ into a rhythm, and backs off the safeties/brings the LBs toward the LOS to open up the run game.

I'm far less worried about the defense than I was last week.

Houston is beatable. Neutralize Watt by running the ball.

Another random thought, $8k for a head butt and $11k for socks, WTF NFL?

Now it seems like nothing to him but I am thinking at some point in his 40s or 50s Williams may want to have that 11k.

better just obey the dress code.

At least it was red socks on his feet and not a sock in the mouth for his wife!

3-1 will be important in the divisional race though Houston is obviously not in the division. More important to me in this game is that the Oline and EJ respond to what happened last week. The NFL can be a copycat league and SD clearly exposed the Bills weakness at guards and EJ's inability to respond.

Great post, Bill from NYC.

And BuffaloBill nailed it with seeing how the offense can bounce back from last week. I'll take it a step further and say it's important to see how the offense AND defense bounce back. They were both horrible last week.

We need to get an early lead because every Bills fan knows how Fitz plays from behind. Like taking candy from a baby. A baby with a wicked thick beard.

The AFC East Division is weak....again.

I'm including the Patriots in there too. Take a look at their schedule. Its very, very tough.

They've lived off taking advantage of how ****ty the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins have been over the past few years.

It's definitely a year where another team in the AFC East can take advantage, unfortunately I have no faith it happens until I actually see it happen.

I agree. Right now, it is a question of are the other three teams improved or are the Patriots on the decline. It certainly seems in the early going that it is the Patriots more on the decline. But heck, I will take anything at this point.

Bill - nice thread. I was thinking the same thing. Their run defense is avg at best. Definitely more Fred than CJ on pass plays as he can chip better, or something creative would be a heavier dose of Dixon on pass plays. That dude is a load, and between him and a lineman, they should be able to slow down Watt.

If we're going designed run on a read option, then Spiller there with a couple of chances running with EJ, but please slide early. No injuries. I know if we win we're 3-1 and even if we lost to the Lions who look hot, we still walk into the Pats game at home both 3-2 (I'm assuming with the sloppy play of the Pats so far and the way the Bengals are playing, the Bengals should win that one). That's two 3-2 teams in Buffalo and we'll see. The second quarter could be 2-2 with losses to the Lions and Pats, and wins against KC and the Browns.

It could also be 3-1 with beating the Pats with us 6-2, and then a handful of very winnable games. I wrote off the last quarter to 1-3 before the season, but the Packers don't look nearly as impressive as years past.

Guys this week matters as we could actually go 10-6 if we see the Bills of the first two weeks. Can you believe it? I'm not predicting it, I just see it as possible.

Please God let this be the year! I have three children with two boys who are football nuts and excellent athletes. They have never seen (my oldest 15) a playoff or even winning Buffalo Bills team. They've seen so many videos of the comeback, and so on, but they've never watched our team as a real threat or contender. Let this be the year.

I'm including the Patriots in there too. Take a look at their schedule. Its very, very tough.

They've lived off taking advantage of how ****ty the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins have been over the past few years.

Patriots Schedule:

4. @ KC

5. vs CIN

6. @ BUF

7. vs NYJ

8. vs CHI

9. vs DEN

11. @ IND

12. vs DET

13. @ GB

14. @ SD

15. vs MIA

16. @ NYJ

17. vs BUF

Just about every single game outside the AFC East is a tough one. It's definitely a year where another team in the AFC East can take advantage, unfortunately I have no faith it happens until I actually see it happen.

I'd love to agree with you, but we play the exact same teams minus 2 opponents.

b) He could suck.

d) Anything else.

Its about this time every year I can usually tell if this is a playoff team or not. Still not sure about this squad tho.

The way San Diego won last Sunday bothered me. They were outplayed AND out-coached.

Rivers is a top 5 QB IMO. It would have been nice to see them put up more of a fight. They didnt.

If they win on the road this week will be huge inside the locker room. They win have to regain their Swag before going up to Detroit.

If they don't win we might see some changes because I think the organization is fed up with losing just as much as we are and nobodys job is safe.

Including CB and QB.

I am hoping that the coaches will NOT respect Fitzes arm and thus allow corners to play up on the line of scrimmage. Fitz can beat us but it will have to be with 5-10 yard passes not the 15-25yd variety. Play close tight coverage, Fitz will still try to throw the ball in there and hopefully our guys can get a pick or two.

I want to see them come out throwing early, with the scripted plays as a bunch of intermediate timing patterns designed to get EJ comfortable (a lot like the opening drive of the Carolina preseason game).

I agree but i think it's going to be the same old conservative play calling. Run spiller up the middle on 1st, short pass to FJ out of backfield on 2nd and hope he breaks one and desperate throw to a wr on 3rd. Unless the bills change it up some on offense i don't have a good feeling about this game.

Patriots Schedule:

4. @ KC

5. vs CIN

6. @ BUF

7. vs NYJ

8. vs CHI

9. vs DEN

11. @ IND

12. vs DET

13. @ GB

14. @ SD

15. vs MIA

16. @ NYJ

17. vs BUF

Just about every single game outside the AFC East is a tough one. It's definitely a year where another team in the AFC East can take advantage, unfortunately I have no faith it happens until I actually see it happen.

That's a tough road- I see a potential for 8 losses there. We face a lot of the same teams. Our last 4 games are brutal minus the Raiders.

I'd love to see Cincy walk into NE and destroy them. Should happen but they are probably studying Cincys play book as I write. So we know what will happen.

One of the main reasons a win is critical for the team this week is because it would not be stretching it to suggest the other three teams in the division could lose...and yes, that includes NE* at KC. The Chefs are likely nowhere near as bad as they were Week 1 or as good as they were Week 3, but I suspect NE falls into the same category. The Chefs have the added bonus of returning home after the Miami road win.

After hanging 33 on NE* at home, the Fish have only mustered 10 pts vs. the Bills and 15 vs. KC. Defense really hasn't been Oakland's problem. They rank #12 overall, including #5 vs. the pass, but they're deep down at #31 vs. the run. Still, they've only given up 2 rushing TDs. So it should surprise no one if they steal one from Tannehill, who has struggled the last two weeks against less defenses. In other words, I wouldn't suggest Oakland will win as much as the Fish could lose.

Jets get home cooking this week, but Geno Smith can't afford any errors this week, and let's be honest...he's hot and cold almost quarter-to-quarter. I'm also not convinced the Jets defense is as magnificent as their reputation would suggest.

So no, I'm not saying all three will lose this weekend. I'm just saying, it's as good a week for that to happen as you could hope, so Bills need to take care of their game and hope for the best.

I'm most interested in how the Bills run the ball to set up the pass. Without the former it'll be increasingly difficult to do the latter. EJ needs to keep the defense on their toes with some passes down-field.

Defensively, I think Buffalo can handle Fitz and Houston's offense. But the Bills can't just hope to Jauron ball and expect to win with defense and a weak offensive performance. Besides, you don't draft Watkins and have the remaining skill players to do that.

I normally would agree but part of the problem with our offense is we are too predictable. I agree with Bandit and this might be the time to pass first to set up the run. Take some deep shots on first down to loosen up the defense.

Also, we know the book on Fitz. Take away the run and short stuff. Force him to beat you deep. If Fitz can do that, tip you cap to him.

Good thoughts Bill. 3-1 is so miles better than 2-2.

Houston is beatable. Neutralize Watt by running the ball.

Another random thought, $8k for a head butt and $11k for socks, WTF NFL?

yes i saw that .

Really inspiring from the NFL.

I am hoping that the coaches will NOT respect Fitzes arm and thus allow corners to play up on the line of scrimmage. Fitz can beat us but it will have to be with 5-10 yard passes not the 15-25yd variety. Play close tight coverage, Fitz will still try to throw the ball in there and hopefully our guys can get a pick or two.

press em' and hands up in the passing lanes

Seeing NE's next 2 games, they should go 1-1, as I forecast us to go, too. So winning this week will ensure that we at least have the same record going into that week 6 matchup. After that, our next 6 games are very winnable, leaving room should we fall to NE, to get back even with them before our bear of a final quarter. Our next 6 games after NE:

Oct. 19 Minnesota 1:00

Oct. 26 @ NY Jets 1:00

Nov. 2 Bye

Nov. 9 Kansas City 1:00

Nov. 13 @ Miami. 8:25

Nov. 23 NY Jets 1:00

Nov. 30 Cleveland 1:00

The Bills have a great chance to get out of this stretch 5-1.

Supporting reasoning?

Unfortunately, Bandit, this represents the new wave of TBD posting: throw something negative out there, support it with no substance, then ultimately calling anyone who disagrees a stupid homer.

It has really enchanted the site.

This~ :thumbsup:

I've been waiting to see if this team can get it together in the run game to move the chains, and right now Houston is the #26th ranked defense in terms of yards allowed. #27 against the run & #17 against the pass

The last thing this team should do is force the 2nd year QB to try and shoulder the game. Its what the Texans thrive on is pinning their ears back, and rushing the passer. What the Texans do is pound the ball and play great defense. Which is just what the bills need to do to beat the Texans, and wear out that defense by the 4th quarter.

The Bills NEED to run the ball successfully, and not up the middle into the backs of their own players. Hackett NEEDS to show that he can build an articulate run game other then up the middle 70+%.

If Hackett can't find a way to get this team yardage on the ground against the 27th ranked run defense then he should be replaced immediately after the game. The Bills play the #2 ranked run defense in Detroit the next week, and the #1 team against the rush in the NY Jets 2x.

Unfortunately, Bandit, this represents the new wave of TBD posting: throw something negative out there, support it with no substance, then ultimately calling anyone who disagrees a stupid homer.

It has really enchanted the site.

Such is life on the Internet. Thankfully it's a minority that act that way, as most of the doom and gloomers at least are willing to support their stance--I don't often agree with them; I do respect the effort to not just throw poo at the wall.

That said, enjoy the game today--I think it'll be close and interesting until the end.

Such is life on the Internet. Thankfully it's a minority that act that way, as most of the doom and gloomers at least are willing to support their stance--I don't often agree with them; I do respect the effort to not just throw poo at the wall.

That said, enjoy the game today--I think it'll be close and interesting until the end.

You too, man! I'm giving up a perfect motorcycle riding/leaf-peeping day for this game. They better win!!!