Moeaki out "significant" time

Couldn't agree more.

Moekei hasn't shown anything since coming on late last year. Smith is our best blocker and Gragg could possibly develop into a Delanie Walker type role.

cya tony.

Agreed Smith is a good blocker -but he has a disturbing habit of drawing a lot of motion penalties in a limited amount of playing time.

I don't think they will cut Moekei. If he can't play for a while they will put him on the PUP list. If they didn't believe in Moekei a lot I THINK they would have addressed the TE position in the draft or free agency. We don't need a blocking TE, we don't need Smith. It is a dying position.

Agreed Smith is a good blocker -but he has a disturbing habit of drawing a lot of motion penalties in a limited amount of playing time.

This position undoubtedly needs an upgrade.

I don't think they will cut Moekei. If he can't play for a while they will put him on the PUP list. If they didn't believe in Moekei a lot I THINK they would have addressed the TE position in the draft or free agency. We don't need a blocking TE, we don't need Smith. It is a dying position.

Why do we not need a blocking TE?

They used 12 personnel quite often in the Red Zone last season. Moekei has shown zero, a significant and reoccuring injury for a player who appears to already have peaked. Smith also filled a special teams role on Kick Return last season. Can Moekei handle that?

I don't think he's PUP eligible at this point.

Couldn't agree more.

Moekei hasn't shown anything since coming on late last year. Smith is our best blocker and Gragg could possibly develop into a Delanie Walker type role.

cya tony.

He was signed in like the 3rd quarter of the final game. Did you expect him to show you something while he was moving his stuff into camp?

just one man's opinion here, but i think a blocking tight end is a wonderful thing to have. it's nice to get a little extra push for a team that wants to run the ball as much as a lot of us think they want to run it. the ideal tight end would be the guy that could block well, contribute in the passing game, and be healthy all year. i don't think we have this guy on the roster, but i'd love to get him.

just one man's opinion here, but i think a blocking tight end is a wonderful thing to have. it's nice to get a little extra push for a team that wants to run the ball as much as a lot of us think they want to run it. the ideal tight end would be the guy that could block well, contribute in the passing game, and be healthy all year. i don't think we have this guy on the roster, but i'd love to get him.

If you want a guy that strictly a blocking TE then you may as well trot out your 6th lineman.

Obviously an all around great TE is preferred to one with holes in his game though.

Edited by NoSaint

Couldn't agree more.

cya tony.

Gragg will develop into a guy who constantly drops passes and has a small habit of fumbling? Boy, I hope you're wrong.

I really think we should explore jermichael finley

Unless we sign him to a long term contract it isn't happening. He's got that $10 million insurance policy he can cash in on if he never plays another down in the NFL. I was crying for us to pursue Finley in other years when he was out there. I'd love to have him here if he's healthy yet because he's not an NFL roster it tells me he's not. As a result I think we might be looking to draft a TE next year or we throw a ton of money after Vernon Davis next offseason but I doubt the 49ers would let him go easily.

@mikerodak: Bills hope that Chris Gragg will return by next week. Tony Moeaki will be out "significant" time with hamstring.

Some guys just can't ever escape injuries

Great, now we REALLY suck at TE... continuing the bargain basement approach.

If you want a guy that strictly a blocking TE then you may as well trot out your 6th lineman.

Obviously an all around great TE is preferred to one with holes in his game though.

i actually kinda like the idea of the extra o-lineman in there lined up as a te. you know he can block and if he catches a td you know the ralph will erupt.

We don't need to keep extra band-aids in the medicine door. We need to carry a few of those until we can get it stitched up.

I like metaphors.

Because, in other words, we roll with Chandler, and maybe just one more guy, and maybe even Smith, too. Play the extra OL. In fact, I really like the idea of Sentrell Henderson being used as an extra guy. He gets around well. Use him as the 12/extra TE. Don't commit extra space, extra money and waste time with someone who will not add to this roster down the line when an extra WR or TE could.

I value a 7th WR with the talent we have more then I value a 3rd TE. Hogan, Easley, or Graham are more capable of contributing to this team then Gragg or Smith or Moeki.

Edited by jboyst62

Even though we call Smith a block tight end, he is still pass eligible. Unlike a 6th OLineman, he has the 'threat' to run a route. If you bring in a 6th OLineman, better believe its 8 in the box with no way to counter it.

You could still send 4 guys into pass routes.

Or send him and he has to be accounted for - probably nearly as much as smith does. Plus it gets one of our young lineman some live reps.

Smith is the type of guy that I hope we don't give away a 53 man spot for. You can easily find someone with his talent later if we lose a TE or a couple lineman. Hell, you can probably sign him in November. May as well keep an extra guy somewhere else.

If it's a cut one of these guys situation, who do you cut? Smith, Hairston, Pears, Henderson

Smith is my odd man out in nearly any situation (barring absolute disaster striking TE )

Edited by NoSaint

Even though we call Smith a block tight end, he is still pass eligible. Unlike a 6th OLineman, he has the 'threat' to run a route. If you bring in a 6th OLineman, better believe its 8 in the box with no way to counter it.

I think my main counter will be Sammy Watkins. Sounds like a plan coming together.

Unless we sign him to a long term contract it isn't happening. He's got that $10 million insurance policy he can cash in on if he never plays another down in the NFL. I was crying for us to pursue Finley in other years when he was out there. I'd love to have him here if he's healthy yet because he's not an NFL roster it tells me he's not. As a result I think we might be looking to draft a TE next year or we throw a ton of money after Vernon Davis next offseason but I doubt the 49ers would let him go easily.

If he has been cleared by his surgeon to play and no one wants him, i bet he will have a tough time collecting on disability insurance.

I don't think he's PUP eligible at this point.

He was signed in like the 3rd quarter of the final game. Did you expect him to show you something while he was moving his stuff into camp?

The PUP... Like return after 6 regular season games type PUP.... Maybe that list

The PUP... Like return after 6 regular season games type PUP.... Maybe that list

Once you've participated at camp I think you are ineligible for that list. Cordy for example could become a candidate for that but last year kolb was not - as examples.

Edited by NoSaint

If I remember it right. They were high on Moeaki when they siged him.Injury history and all. I believe without looking it up he has 1 mil guarnteed this year.

I don't think he would get cut for a hamstring injury.

I was high on Moeaki once. I kept getting weird visions of pulled quadriceps, fractured shoulders, and torn knee ligaments. It wasn't for me.