I'm hoping we bottom out this year: 0-16. Here's why.

This organization is like the tree in your backyard that's dying. Oh sure, there are some branches with some green leaves on it, but by and large it's dead. You know it's dead, and the only thing to do is call a tree guy to come cut it down, chip it up, grind the stump, and give you the bill for it.

That's the Bills for you right there--oh sure, Sammy Watkins may be great, Dareus is a pro bowler, Spiller has looked good in places... there's some healthy young, green leaf growth right there. But the trunk? Dead. And before you jump down my throat and say "Is this another Kiko post? lol" consider the following--there was a point during the offseason (before the Byrd negotiations) where Marrone let it leak that there is a rift between the bean counters and the football guys. Well, I'll lump them all together: everyone must go.

See, here's the thing: I may be the biggest optimist on here. When the Bills are there usual 4-8, I'm the one on ESPN.com's playoff calculator figuring out just how easy it will be for the Bills to steal the 6 seed. I'm the one staying up to watch the Chargers/Bengals games in week 15, because it impacts the chances of the Bills getting a wild-card at 7-9. But not this year.

On offense: we lost our best receiver. Yes, our best receiver. I dont care about his antics, or what you think a true number 1 receiver should look like. It doesn't matter--Stevie Johnson was our biggest producer on offense over the last 3 years, and he's gone. Who will replace him? It's a gamble, but for whatever reason, Whaley saw fit to ship out our most productive offensive weapon. Our best running back is now a year older and 30 is long-since faded out of his rear-view mirror. We are, at this point in time, worse on offense. Oh sure, there's potential to be better, but for now, we are worse.

On defense: our coordinator, gone. our best safety, gone. our best linebacker, done for the season. our best d-lineman, in trouble with the law. this is a problem. The strength of our 5-11 unit is now weaker. this is undeniable. do not try to tell me that i am a glass half empty person, this point is irrefutable: our defense is weaker.

special teams: an absolute disaster last season, remains largely intact. Same coaching. this is also a problem.

And most importantly (as everyone will note) our quarterback, because this is what our season hinges on, right?: missed too many games to injury last season, a major major problem that Bills fans seem to be in denial about. 3 knee injuries in one season? THREE KNEE INJURIES IN ONE SEASON? If that happened to Brady, we would be dancing in the street. But in Buffalo? That's cause for optimism because he "hasn't had a full season to show us what he can do yet!" Well, in the limited time he did have to show us what he could do, he was middling. a .500 qb at best, who looks like he needs to be surrounded by an extremely talented cast to succeed. He is not a game changer, he is not elite, he can not put this team on his back and take us to the Super Bowl. It's not happening, and in your heart, you know that's true.

So a 5-11 team (please note the 1 game regression from Gailey's teams--we got worse, not better) who is weaker across the board, is going to turn it around this year? What, may I ask, in the last 15 years, has given you ANY indication whatsoever, that that is going to happen? It isnt. But for the first time ever, this is now a good thing. A new owner will inherit this train wreck. And after another typical, awful 4-12 Bills train wreck, there will finally be some accountability.

And it starts right with the golden boy GM, because our rebuild will have to be put off ANOTHER year--with no first round draft pick in next years selection meeting, we suddenly will be the most pathetic franchise in the NFL. If we truly, truly bottom out, (and im talking 0-16 here folks) that should be all the impetus that is needed to drop an a-bomb at one bills drive and clean house. everyone: from russ to the ball boys.

Sorry to piss in your coffee this morning, but I've been thinking about this a lot since OTA's. But ask yourself this: are the pieces in place for this team to win a super bowl? Do you think EJ Manuel can be a Super Bowl winning quarterback? Ask yourself that. Don't just hit reply and tell me the sky isn't falling: ask yourself if you can picture EJ Manuel hoisting the lombardi trophy. If you're older than a 4th grader, the answer is likely "no."

So open your mind. Let's be happy when Pegula takes over ownership, and then let's just enjoy this season for what it is: the curtain call for Bills football as we've known it for 2 decades. Yes, it's going to be painful to watch us struggle this year, and yes it's going to be even worse next offseason knowing we don't have a first round pick, but good times are on the horizon.

Edited by JohnnyGold

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want us to go 0-16 when we have no 1st round pick?

CBF

absolutely.

that is, to me, immensely more preferable than going 7-9 and maintaining status quo.

i want pegula to sit in the owners box and watch this train wreck. i want the wheels to come off. and then i want the league to laugh at us for not having a first round pick next year. i want it to be a disaster.

and i want that because i want everyone associated with buffalo bills football to be fired. littman, overdorff, whaley, brandon, marrone, hacket. everyone.

the bills have drafted all-stars: turn on the tv, youll see them winning super bowls and playoff games for other teams around the league.

we suck. we're poorly run. and we're going to be bad again this year, because we didn't upgrade our team. but the problem is: there's no relief next year, because our gm gave up our pick.

so let's be done with it, once and for all. let's get rid of all the guys out who have carved out their seat of power in the organization. let's build a winner from the top down. that's not happening if we go 8-8.

we need to fail. spectacularly.

Edited by JohnnyGold

Do me a favor go out in your backyard and climb to the tippy top of that dying tree ( bring your cell phone with you). Call that tree guy and tell him to hurry over and cut down the tree that your in. Ahhhhhh I can see it now.

So the entire post is "I'm an optimist, and I think we suck, so you should all agree with my opinions or you're 4th graders"?

No, the offense isn't worse. Stevie Johnson wasn't the most productive passing target on the team last year; that was Chandler. It's also short-sighted to say we're worse on offense when we've added Watkins, Bryce Brown, and Anthony Dixon and lost only Johnson (who pretty much any Bills' fan could tell didn't have very good chemistry with Manuel). I also noticed that you conveniently ignored the 4 offensive linemen the team added this off-season.

No, the defense isn't worse. The run D was historically bad, and the team added one of (if not the) best run-stopping LBs in football. Also, Mario Williams is the team's best DLmen, not Dareus. They drafted Preston Brown, Ross Cockrell, and Randell Johnson. They also added Corey Graham and are likely to have Gilmore back at full speed. To say the defense is worse is an assumption, not an undeniable truth as you claim. Jim Schwartz is a very sharp football mind, and had strong defensive success at times in Tennessee.

No, the ST unit isn't the same. The team added specific ST pieces in Dixon and Graham, and should get a boost from the increase in overall team depth.

As to EJ, nobody knows whether or not he's a franchise guy...all I can tell you is that it would be irrefutably ignorant for someone to gauge their opinion based on whether or not they can picture a guy lifting a piece of metal; it would be even greater folly to suggest anyone that can do so is juvenile or unintelligent.

So open your mind. Let's be happy IF Pegula takes ownership (it's not a given), and then let's just enjoy this season for what it is: Buffalo Bills football. No, you have no idea if it'll be painful or fun, a struggle or a success, or whether things will get significantly better this season or next, but I agree that good times are on the horizon.

So the entire post is "I'm an optimist, and I think we suck, so you should all agree with my opinions or you're 4th graders"?

No, the offense isn't worse. Stevie Johnson wasn't the most productive passing target on the team last year; that was Chandler. It's also short-sighted to say we're worse on offense when we've added Watkins, Bryce Brown, and Anthony Dixon and lost only Johnson (who pretty much any Bills' fan could tell didn't have very good chemistry with Manuel). I also noticed that you conveniently ignored the 4 offensive linemen the team added this off-season.

No, the defense isn't worse. The run D was historically bad, and the team added one of (if not the) best run-stopping LBs in football. Also, Mario Williams is the team's best DLmen, not Dareus. They drafted Preston Brown, Ross Cockrell, and Randell Johnson. They also added Corey Graham and are likely to have Gilmore back at full speed. To say the defense is worse is an assumption, not an undeniable truth as you claim. Jim Schwartz is a very sharp football mind, and had strong defensive success at times in Tennessee.

No, the ST unit isn't the same. The team added specific ST pieces in Dixon and Graham, and should get a boost from the increase in overall team depth.

As to EJ, nobody knows whether or not he's a franchise guy...all I can tell you is that it would be irrefutably ignorant for someone to gauge their opinion based on whether or not they can picture a guy lifting a piece of metal; it would be even greater folly to suggest anyone that can do so is juvenile or unintelligent.

So open your mind. Let's be happy IF Pegula takes ownership (it's not a given), and then let's just enjoy this season for what it is: Buffalo Bills football. No, you have no idea if it'll be painful or fun, a struggle or a success, or whether things will get significantly better this season or next, but I agree that good times are on the horizon.

Nicely done.

If the wheels are going to come off, I'd rather we do it next season so we can at least start fresh with a nice shiny 1st round draft pick.

I agree with much of what you say, though. This is a rather poorly run organization, and it starts at the top. We have some pretty glaring holes at important positions. Our coaches are questionable at best. We do not have an easy schedule.

I could easily see us come away with a 4 win season. BUT... if those question marks have positive answers, I could easily see us with 10 wins.

Either way, I'll be watching and rooting, and hoping for the best.

How dare you post something rational and optimistic ...

absolutely.

that is, to me, immensely more preferable than going 7-9 and maintaining status quo.

i want pegula to sit in the owners box and watch this train wreck. i want the wheels to come off. and then i want the league to laugh at us for not having a first round pick next year. i want it to be a disaster.

and i want that because i want everyone associated with buffalo bills football to be fired. littman, overdorff, whaley, brandon, marrone, hacket. everyone.

the bills have drafted all-stars: turn on the tv, youll see them winning super bowls and playoff games for other teams around the league.

we suck. we're poorly run. and we're going to be bad again this year, because we didn't upgrade our team. but the problem is: there's no relief next year, because our gm gave up our pick.

so let's be done with it, once and for all. let's get rid of all the guys out who have carved out their seat of power in the organization. let's build a winner from the top down. that's not happening if we go 8-8.

we need to fail. spectacularly.

I'm considering breaking my rule against calling people names on this board.

Very good post. One of your best IMO. :thumbsup:

This organization is like the tree in your backyard that's dying. Oh sure, there are some branches with some green leaves on it, but by and large it's dead. You know it's dead, and the only thing to do is call a tree guy to come cut it down, chip it up, grind the stump, and give you the bill for it.

That's the Bills for you right there--oh sure, Sammy Watkins may be great, Dareus is a pro bowler, Spiller has looked good in places... there's some healthy young, green leaf growth right there. But the trunk? Dead. And before you jump down my throat and say "Is this another Kiko post? lol" consider the following--there was a point during the offseason (before the Byrd negotiations) where Marrone let it leak that there is a rift between the bean counters and the football guys. Well, I'll lump them all together: everyone must go.

See, here's the thing: I may be the biggest optimist on here. When the Bills are there usual 4-8, I'm the one on ESPN.com's playoff calculator figuring out just how easy it will be for the Bills to steal the 6 seed. I'm the one staying up to watch the Chargers/Bengals games in week 15, because it impacts the chances of the Bills getting a wild-card at 7-9. But not this year.

On offense: we lost our best receiver. Yes, our best receiver. I dont care about his antics, or what you think a true number 1 receiver should look like. It doesn't matter--Stevie Johnson was our biggest producer on offense over the last 3 years, and he's gone. Who will replace him? It's a gamble, but for whatever reason, Whaley saw fit to ship out our most productive offensive weapon. Our best running back is now a year older and 30 is long-since faded out of his rear-view mirror. We are, at this point in time, worse on offense. Oh sure, there's potential to be better, but for now, we are worse.

On defense: our coordinator, gone. our best safety, gone. our best linebacker, done for the season. our best d-lineman, in trouble with the law. this is a problem. The strength of our 5-11 unit is now weaker. this is undeniable. do not try to tell me that i am a glass half empty person, this point is irrefutable: our defense is weaker.

special teams: an absolute disaster last season, remains largely intact. Same coaching. this is also a problem.

And most importantly (as everyone will note) our quarterback, because this is what our season hinges on, right?: missed too many games to injury last season, a major major problem that Bills fans seem to be in denial about. 3 knee injuries in one season? THREE KNEE INJURIES IN ONE SEASON? If that happened to Brady, we would be dancing in the street. But in Buffalo? That's cause for optimism because he "hasn't had a full season to show us what he can do yet!" Well, in the limited time he did have to show us what he could do, he was middling. a .500 qb at best, who looks like he needs to be surrounded by an extremely talented cast to succeed. He is not a game changer, he is not elite, he can not put this team on his back and take us to the Super Bowl. It's not happening, and in your heart, you know that's true.

So a 5-11 team (please note the 1 game regression from Gailey's teams--we got worse, not better) who is weaker across the board, is going to turn it around this year? What, may I ask, in the last 15 years, has given you ANY indication whatsoever, that that is going to happen? It isnt. But for the first time ever, this is now a good thing. A new owner will inherit this train wreck. And after another typical, awful 4-12 Bills train wreck, there will finally be some accountability.

And it starts right with the golden boy GM, because our rebuild will have to be put off ANOTHER year--with no first round draft pick in next years selection meeting, we suddenly will be the most pathetic franchise in the NFL. If we truly, truly bottom out, (and im talking 0-16 here folks) that should be all the impetus that is needed to drop an a-bomb at one bills drive and clean house. everyone: from russ to the ball boys.

Sorry to piss in your coffee this morning, but I've been thinking about this a lot since OTA's. But ask yourself this: are the pieces in place for this team to win a super bowl? Do you think EJ Manuel can be a Super Bowl winning quarterback? Ask yourself that. Don't just hit reply and tell me the sky isn't falling: ask yourself if you can picture EJ Manuel hoisting the lombardi trophy. If you're older than a 4th grader, the answer is likely "no."

So open your mind. Let's be happy when Pegula takes over ownership, and then let's just enjoy this season for what it is: the curtain call for Bills football as we've known it for 2 decades. Yes, it's going to be painful to watch us struggle this year, and yes it's going to be even worse next offseason knowing we don't have a first round pick, but good times are on the horizon.

I'm twice the optimist you are. I hope we go 0-16 this year and the next. That will show them!

Just because your brain has diarrhea doesn't mean you have to share the crap with the rest of us.

OP it is clear you are not only clueless but not a fan as well. I can see if we are say 3-10 losing out but to want to go 0-16? BTW we lose the entire front office, coaching and scouting with a new owner if we do that. Congrats Moron you want us to be set back another 10 years AND with NO first round pick.

Great post Bandit. A much less juvenile response than I would have went with.

I wish it were possible to block users like the one who posted this so that any future post would be unavailable to view. What a waste of time that was!

There is. You have an ignore feature in your settings which will block a tagged poster's rambling from displaying.

Come on. This post isnt thought through at all. You say you're an optimist and take the harshest, most pessimistic view of every facet of our team. Our defense or offense arent nearly as bad as you want to believe. What has Whaley done since being GM that made you feel he is incompetent and needs to be uprooted to use your own analogy?

Im not saying were a superbowl contender or anything but how can you feel that firing everyone associated with the team and going 0-16 in a year when we dont have a first round pick is the best for the team.

You say this isnt a Kiko post but i doubt you would have posted this if he never got injured. Yea it sucks hes injured but the good news is it happened early enough for the team to compensate for it and make adjustments. The team has an entire training camp learning the defense without him which allows them to get used to it. Kiko was never gonna make or break this season.

This is pretty much perfect

I see the OP's point and he's right in a macro sense. The whole front office needs to be shown the door, from Brandon on down to the coaches. We are never going to become winners with those jobbers running the show.

Having said that, an 0-16 season is not a prerequisite for that to happen, and would be downright embarrassing (more so when the Browns are at the podium with the first pick next year). I think any new owner will consider making changes whether we finish 0-16 or 8-8. For the sake of Bills fans, I certainly hope he or she does.

I see the OP's point and he's right in a macro sense. The whole front office needs to be shown the door, from Brandon on down to the coaches. We are never going to become winners with those jobbers running the show.

Having said that, an 0-16 season is not a prerequisite for that to happen, and would be downright embarrassing (more so when the Browns are at the podium with the first pick next year). I think any new owner will consider making changes whether we finish 0-16 or 8-8. For the sake of Bills fans, I certainly hope he or she does.

So Whaley and Marrone are gone after one year?

Absolutely zero logic in this. Whaley and Marrone are not the issues with this franchise.

Well, you just in one post ruined any and all credibility you had on this site. Congratulations. Our best WR huh? Mike Williams and Sammy Watkins have more talent than Stevie Johnson could ever dream of having. Just because a guy can run routes very well doesn't mean he's a great receiver. He drops balls in huge situations, he admittedly doesn't put forth any effort in the off season to get better (what a great example to set for our younger players), he gets the stupidest penalties at the worst times, and his a the epitome of a "me first" guy on and off the field. He would have been our 4th, maybe even 5th best receiver this season after Williams, Watkins, Woods, and possibly even Marquise. Not to mention our TEs.

And then you want to go 0-16 when we have no first round pick next year just to prove a point? Holy smokes. If this team goes 0-16 attendance plummets and it becomes a very, very serious in regards to the future of this franchise in this city (not that it isn't already serious enough). Great idea Super Fan.

"I may be the biggest optimist on here." Oh, OK, now I get it, you were just joking the whole time. Now I understand.

You might as well change your user name now, I have a feeling a lot of people will be blocking your posts after this one. I know I am.

Edited by Mark80

So Whaley and Marrone are gone after one year?

Yes. In fact, I don't believe they should have been hired in the first place.

Marrone looks and sounds clueless, and his gameday coaching tactics (clock mgmt, challenge selections, etc) leave a lot to be desired.

I suppose Whaley can be given the benefit of doubt as we don't know if his hands are tied or not by the stooges upstairs. But I think the Watkins trade was absolutely moronic and that was all him.

Yes. In fact, I don't believe they should have been hired in the first place.

Marrone looks and sounds clueless, and his gameday coaching tactics (clock mgmt, challenge selections, etc) leave a lot to be desired.

I suppose Whaley can be given the benefit of doubt as we don't know if his hands are tied or not by the stooges upstairs. But I think the Watkins trade was absolutely moronic and that was all him.

I think Marrone deserves a little more leeway...they had very little talent last year and went through QBs like water, yet managed to be competitive.

As to Whaley, his hands are most certainly NOT tied; just for the record--why do you feel the Watkins trade was ill-advised?

The perennial "lose to win" argument.

Nevermind for a second that it's a bad idea. Even if you wanted to do it, how do you get a whole organization of professionals to sabotage their own careers and reputations to create a losing team on purpose? Ludicrous.

I don't understand how going 0-16 is going to help this team get better. If you think free agents are reluctant to come here now, just wait until that happens. Also, I'm hoping you realize that the only team that would get better by the Bills going 0-16 is the Browns.

I think that you are going to be very disappointed. This group will almost certainly be here through the 2015 season.

Please explain to me how the Bills are this 'train wreck?" Great defense, game-changing WR and RB. Questions? Sure, but what team is perfect? The playoff drought has NOTHING to do with the current regime. If you keep hitting the reset button every year you never get better. The NFL is not a slot machine where you keep pulling the handle hoping to hit the jackpot. You build teams. That takes time. This is Year 2 of Whaley. Please take a pill and chill out. Or at least take this over to BillsZone. They thrive on negativity.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think Marrone deserves a little more leeway...they had very little talent last year and went through QBs like water, yet managed to be competitive.

As to Whaley, his hands are most certainly NOT tied; just for the record--why do you feel the Watkins trade was ill-advised?

I disagree about talent. I think this team is, in fact, a lot more talented than Bills teams of the past. And how competitive were they really? They finished 6-10 and four of those ten losses were one-sided. Every crappy team in the NFL has close losses that they lament..."if we had only done so and so.."

I remember him mindlessly challenging a fumble in week one that the Patriots recovered anyway. I remember him sounding completely lost in post-game press conferences. I remember him picking a fight with the media early in training camp when he sounded completely out to lunch. He kept his buddy Crossman as the special teams coach despite the years of incompetence on his resume. Do any or all of these things make him a bad coach? Not necessarily, but they don't point to him being a good one either. He's known as an offensive-minded coach - a former lineman - and this offense was not designed to take advantage of the players' strengths. All of that blame gets put on Hackett, yet nobody mentions Marrone. The defense was the strong point of the team and by all accounts, he did not have nearly as much say on that side of the ball as he did on the offense.

Unfortunately, a couple of years down the road, we will see that he is no better, and probably worse, than Gailey, Jauron, Mularkey, Williams.

As for the Watkins trade, its no reflection on Watkins the player. I just think that a team in the Bills position should not be trading a first round pick for a wide receiver, no matter how good he is. A QB sure. But a superstar receiver does not get this team from 6-10 to 11-5 this year, even if his name is Calvin Johnson (who, incidentally was part of an 0-16 team). If the Bills were a perennial contender, and the pick was going to be in the 20s, then yes, I could see making this move. But my guess is, they will be picking in the top 10 again next year, and many people will change their tune then. It was a reckless trade, not gutsy.