I'm hoping we bottom out this year: 0-16. Here's why.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On offense: we lost our best receiver. Yes, our best receiver. I dont care about his antics, or what you think a true number 1 receiver should look like. It doesn't matter--Stevie Johnson was our biggest producer on offense over the last 3 years, and he's gone. Who will replace him? It's a gamble, but for whatever reason, Whaley saw fit to ship out our most productive offensive weapon. Our best running back is now a year older and 30 is long-since faded out of his rear-view mirror. We are, at this point in time, worse on offense. Oh sure, there's potential to be better, but for now, we are worse.

Really? He wasn't even the biggest producer last year, as that was Scott Chandler.

Stevie Johnson's yards from scrimmage the last 3 years = 2,657

CJ Spiller's yards from scrimmage the last 3 years = 3,651

Fred Jackson's yards from scrimmage the last 3 years = 3,307

Scott Chandler's yards from scrimmage the last 3 years = 1,615

So, not only was he out-produced by Scott Chandler last year...but, in 3 years, Stevie only has 1,042 more yards than Chandler.

(That is as far as I got reading, as I stopped right after seeing that...because like the tree trunk, your credibility became "dead.")

On offense:Our best running back is now a year older and 30 is long-since faded out of his rear-view mirror. We are, at this point in time, worse on offense. Oh sure, there's potential to be better, but for now, we are worse.

On defense: our coordinator, gone. our best safety, gone. our best linebacker, done for the season. our best d-lineman, in trouble with the law. this is a problem. The strength of our 5-11 unit is now weaker. this is undeniable. do not try to tell me that i am a glass half empty person, this point is irrefutable: our defense is weaker.

special teams: an absolute disaster last season, remains largely intact. Same coaching. this is also a problem.

And then I tried to continue to read the rest, and give you the benefit of doubt...but my head was nearly ready to explode.

You fail to mention how we brought in 2 very solid running backs, one who is young and has proven he is a homerun threat, in Brown.

You also fail to mention how we brought in Anthony Dixon and Corey Graham, two excellent special team players.

And then you go on to say Dareus is our best defensive lineman, failing to recognize the 3 who had double-digit sacks last year.

How in the world could ANYBODY take you seriously with this non-sense? It is absolutely brutal to try and read your post and make sense of it.

ps. Thank you for making my July 4th somewhat comical...I at least owe you that much...but your glass is not "half empty," it has shattered into a million pieces.

Edited by Bob Malooga

Well I'm rooting for 16-0...

Lets go 16-0 and win the whole !@#$ing thing!

There's too much talent on the team to go completely winless, especially with veteran warriors that never quit like Freddy & Kyle. 16-0 is much more likely than 0-16.

I ask you to consider the following for the sake of good dialogue.....

When the Bills drafted EJ, they traded down 8 spots. This tell me that the Bills were either not entirely sold on him as a franchise OR, they had someone (Smith?) rated about as high.

Then, in his rookie season, he has a mediocre year and multiple injuries to boot. What to do? Trade away a potential top 5 future pick for a wideout. I can easily agree to disagree, but from where I sit this makes no sense.

And if you don't even suspect at all that this move was more about the brass trying to save their jobs than to build a solid franchise, I don't really know what to say.

Bottom line imo is that someone has to get the ball to Watkins. I hope EJ can do it. As you said, time will tell.

I think buffalo had EJ rated about where they got him... Traded down from their original spot and gained Kiko, essentially.... Good move....

Potential top 5 pick??? You are smoking the good stuff now, we've only had one top 5 pick in the last 10 years!! Even the Bronco's or Seahawks have the potential to earn at top 10 pick.... But come on!!!

In reference to the brass trying to save their jobs- you don't go all in on 7-2 off suit in hold em.... Like it or not, this team has scouts.... They observe players and evaluate them... They had Sammy at the top of their board overall... And they got him! Now we get to see what he can do... And from what out drafts have been like I recent years- I am REALLY excited to see what happens!!!

I like the Watkins pick as well. Still, I don't believe he can put a team on his shoulders in his rookie season. -Not a team like this one. As it stands now, we have FAR too many question marks on offense. The coordinator, for one. Then there's EJ's suspect knee. We really don't know what we've gotten ourselves into with Mike Williams. And there's no telling how effective Spiller will be this year.

I wish someone would start a thread on available HC/OC candidates for this team. That's where this thing is headed, I think.

I like the Watkins pick as well. Still, I don't believe he can put a team on his shoulders in his rookie season. -Not a team like this one. As it stands now, we have FAR too many question marks on offense. The coordinator, for one. Then there's EJ's suspect knee. We really don't know what we've gotten ourselves into with Mike Williams. And there's no telling how effective Spiller will be this year.

I wish someone would start a thread on available HC/OC candidates for this team. That's where this thing is headed, I think.

That's a funny attitude to have since most people truly expect a rookie QB to just step on the field and light it up like Andrew Luck. Certainly many are convinced Johnny Football is capable. So why all of a sudden is Sammy Watkins too fragile?

I ask you to consider the following for the sake of good dialogue.....

When the Bills drafted EJ, they traded down 8 spots. This tell me that the Bills were either not entirely sold on him as a franchise OR, they had someone (Smith?) rated about as high.

Then, in his rookie season, he has a mediocre year and multiple injuries to boot. What to do? Trade away a potential top 5 future pick for a wideout. I can easily agree to disagree, but from where I sit this makes no sense.

Bottom line imo is that someone has to get the ball to Watkins. I hope EJ can do it. As you said, time will tell.

I'm sure that you can agree that over the last generation the Bills were more known for its staid approach than for its creative approach in operating this sluggish franchise. The Bills not only rated Watkins as a Green type receiver but they also had him at the top of their board. So they traded a future asset to secure a player who they felt was talented enough to be on top of their board this year and in comparison near the top of the board in most draft years. Doug Whaley certainly did take a calculated risk in maneuvering for a player he considers special. My position is what is wrong with that? If he felt that there were other comparable receivers he would have remained at his draft position and selected the alternative. But the bottom line is he graded Watkins as an elite propsect and did what he had to do to secure him. Didn't Bill Polian gave up a lot of assets to acquire Cornelius Bennett, a player he felt would have a major impact on the defense? What Whaley gave up was minimal compared to the Polian trade deal.

And if you don't even suspect at all that this move was more about the brass trying to save their jobs than to build a solid franchise, I don't really know what to say.

You are absolutely correct. There is no hidden agenda here. Whaley came out and said that 14 years of no playoff appearances are unacceptable. He clearly stated on WGR that now is the time and he is going for it. Is it about saving his job? Of course it is. That is the tenuous nature of the GM position. What's so surprising about a GM running a franchise that has had a dismal record for a very long time and being aware of his precarious status with a new ownership about to takeover? Where I strongly disagree with your analysis is that you are insinuating that he mortgaged the franchise's future in the Watkins's trade up in order to save his job. You are exaggerating the repercussion and motivatiion of that particular deal.

As you and many others have noted the success of this team is directly related to how EJ performs. It's unrealistic to think that he will play at an elite level this year or any year. However, if he can play at a competent franchise qb level I believe that the Bills will be a competitive team. If not then we go to the next option until a better option is found.

Edited by JohnC

I'm sure that you can agree that over the last generation the Bills were more known for its staid approach than for its creative approach in operating this sluggish franchise. The Bills not only rated Watkins as a Green type receiver but they also had him at the top of their board. So they traded a future asset to secure a player who they felt was talented enough to be on top of their board this year and in comparison near the top of the board in most draft years. Doug Whaley certainly did take a calculated risk in maneuvering for a player he considers special. My position is what is wrong with that? If he felt that there were other comparable receivers he would have remained at his draft position and selected the alternative. But the bottom line is he graded Watkins as an elite propsect and did what he had to do to secure him. Didn't Bill Polian gave up a lot of assets to acquire Cornelius Bennett, a player he felt would have a major impact on the defense? What Whaley gave up was minimal compared to the Polian trade deal.

You are absolutely correct. There is no hidden agenda here. Whaley came out and said that 14 years of no playoff appearances are unacceptable. He clearly stated on WGR that now is the time and he is going for it. Is it about saving his job? Of course it is. That is the tenuous nature of the GM position. What's so surprising about a GM running a franchise that has had a dismal record for a very long time and being aware of his precarious status with a new ownership about to takeover? Where I strongly disagree with your analysis is that you are insinuating that he mortgaged the franchise's future in the Watkins's trade up in order to save his job. You are exaggerating the repercussion and motivatiion of that particular deal.

As you and many others have noted the success of this team is directly related to how EJ performs. It's unrealistic to think that he will play at an elite level this year or any year. However, if he can play at a competent franchise qb level I believe that the Bills will be a competitive team. If not then we go to the next option until a better option is found.

Perhaps this is semantics, but I submit that it's not about "saving" his job; it's about DOING his job.

Whaley's job is to put a winning team on the field; there's nothing more to it than that.

And as it were, it's very unlikely that the current regime of staff won't be here for at least the next two seasons.

Perhaps this is semantics, but I submit that it's not about "saving" his job; it's about DOING his job.

Whaley's job is to put a winning team on the field; there's nothing more to it than that.

One of the points I was trying to make is that GMs in all professional sports recognize the tenuous nature of their positions. They do their best and understand the environment they work in. I agree with you that Whaley wasn't taking an approach of looking over his shoulder in every transaction he was making. As you stated he was simply doing his job in trying to improve his team. NYC Bill was insinuating that he was making a panic Watkins deal to save his job at the expense of mortgaging the future. I disagree with that assessment. In my view Whaley believed the Watkins deal was a good deal for now and the future.

And as it were, it's very unlikely that the current regime of staff won't be here for at least the next two seasons.

I think that Whaley and his staff will remain with a new ownership group. But it is not unusual that when a new owner takes over he replaces the former group with his own hires.

One of the points I was trying to make is that GMs in all professional sports recognize the tenuous nature of their positions. They do their best and understand the environment they work in. I agree with you that Whaley wasn't taking an approach of looking over his shoulder in every transaction he was making. As you stated he was simply doing his job in trying to improve his team. NYC Bill was insinuating that he was making a panic Watkins deal to save his job at the expense of mortgaging the future. I disagree with that assessment. In my view Whaley believed the Watkins deal was a good deal for now and the future.

I think that Whaley and his staff will remain with a new ownership group. But it is not unusual that when a new owner takes over he replaces the former group with his own hires.

Agreed on all fronts.

Regarding the staff staying on with new ownership, I'm making a semi-educated guess there.

John, the above IS my point. You seem to question whether or not EJ will be "competent," yet you think it's ok to give up the Bills best resource for a wide receiver.

And btw, I think he will probably be at least competent if they let him run the read option. If.....IF he isn't a top quality passer there is no reason to baby him.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with the above. Another losing season and heads will roll, with Marrone being first on the list.

John, the above IS my point. You seem to question whether or not EJ will be "competent," yet you think it's ok to give up the Bills best resource for a wide receiver.

And btw, I think he will probably be at least competent if they let him run the read option. If.....IF he isn't a top quality passer there is no reason to baby him.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with the above. Another losing season and heads will roll, with Marrone being first on the list.

I think the Watkins trade comes down to this: whether EJ is the guy at QB or not, every team needs playmakers on offense. The fact that he was widely considered the best offensive player in the draft by a fairly substantial margin makes the trade quite reasonable IMO. I especially believe that surrounding a young QB with talent is the best way to find out if he's got the goods. I know some folks subscribe to a certain number to starts or attempts until the decision about a QB is made, but I believe EJ had this season to convince me and then I'll be ready to see some competition if he doesn't make it.

As far as the staff, again, I'm kind of speaking based on what I've heard; they're very likely (barring complete disarray) to be here for a few more years at least.

Losing season, no matter the reason (seasons go bad for many reasons beside "they suck") and you blow it up? After 2 seasons? You obviously just want the Bills to stink forever because you won't invest the time into building a team. I'm convinced a portion of so-called fans want the Bills to be bad because all they know how to respond is negatively.

This thread is amazing. I look at the 2014 Bills and I see the talent level as the best that it's been in a decade.

Are there questions about ownership? Yup.

Are there questions about the FO? Yup.

Are there questions about the coaching staff? Yup.

What I'm left with is a team that possesses more talent at key positions vs. the past decade. I'm left with a coaching staff that has been improved over 2013 (how? well, they now have a majordomo for Hackett to lean on and they have a QB coach. For those of you ringing your hands over the loss of Pettine I would suggest that you go watch the tape of the 2013 season with both eyes open. The key components also have a year of experience under their belts.). I'm left with the strongest running game in the NFL that has been improved significantly over 2013. I'm left with an offensive line that should be head & shoulders better than the 2013 group.

Too many in this thread are those that others point to when they say that there are people on this site who do really want the team to fail (to prove themselves correct). That quite frankly sucks.

You don't have to be head over heels in love with the team, but prior to the start of a season (heck, prior to the start of TC) you can't find anything to like? You can't post something without also taking a backhand at the GM, or coach, or QB? You always have to focus on the negative?

If you've been here long enough to know you understand that I have serious concerns about several aspects of the team. I don't let those concerns overwhelm me though. I have hope and I can't wait for the 2014 season to get kicked off.

Losing season, no matter the reason (seasons go bad for many reasons beside "they suck") and you blow it up? After 2 seasons? You obviously just want the Bills to stink forever because you won't invest the time into building a team. I'm convinced a portion of so-called fans want the Bills to be bad because all they know how to respond is negatively.

And I think that the theme of virtually all of your posts is to insult Bills Fans who won't stand in the streets with you waving pom-poms.

That said, I sincerely hope that your 4th was pleasant. :)