New stadium = good-bye to tailgating?

IMO, they are in denial. A new stadium is needed. There is no way around it.

I do not think that it is denial. It just is not a realistic option. Where would they play for the season (at least) that it would take to rebuild the stadium? A new stadium is on the horizon and the Bills know that. They just need to not say anything until they have an actual plan in place. They won't be saying much until they have a location, owner, etc... in place.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the NFL were smart, they would just go right to making 20,000 seat venues with domes and charge top dollar for premium amenities and field proximity while CGIing the backdrop for TV purposes. Why fly to a stadium in London or Paris when you can play stateside and simply superimpose extraordinary backdrops. They could play on the moon, a moon of Saturn, the center of an active volcano, or in a dome at the bottom of the ocean with neon fish checking out the game on the cheap. Better yet, the fans get to chose at home what the backdrop looks like. They could superimpose all kinds of extreme weather if they wished. I think it's the future of home viewing, sooner or later.

Whatever they do, I hope the Bills maintain the stadium name as "Ralph Wilson Stadium". Especially after we lost Ralph in 2014

That is not going to happen long term either. The only way that it will is if they do something like Denver. It could be "Geico Field at Ralph Wilson Stadium" but I doubt it. Naming rights will almost certainly be sold.

FWIW - I was in Minneapolis for work a couple of years ago during baseball season. The Twins stadium had recently been built in downtown Minneapolis. Target Field holds just under 40,000 fans.

I was staying at a Marriott overlooking the area and was extremely impressed with what happens to a downtown area when 40,000 people (who probably would not otherwise be there) are downtown both before and after a game. The whole area came to life and business was booming.

As an aside, if you are a baseball fan and find yourself in Minneapolis, you may want to go to a game. We were able to catch one game against the White Sox, and I was very impressed with the stadium.

New state of the are stadium, with the ability to host a SB.

or

Watching fans pass out drunk everywhere and then throw up on themselves.

Tough call.

Why is it that tailgating is derogatory ?

For me it's having a beer with my dad, grandfather and brother while tossing a football with my 4 yr old and grilling Italian sausages in anticipation of the game. It's a great experience with family.

If we allow the lowest common denominator to stand as the general representation of every facet of life, then every experience you can think of is corrupted by the stupid and irresponsible into something bad.

That said, I AM willing to venture a guess that the bills never would have had the success filling the stadium during the last 15 years of futility if it wasn't for the whole fan game day experience.

So if they kill tailgating they best do a dam good job replacing it with another great fan experience, or they are just going to have to perpetually win going forward. I'll take the latter... Sure

Even if we get a stadium right downtown they won't completely "kill" tailgating! Jeeze, even in Pittsburgh where you're under a road people still get their grill and talgate on...

If they move the stadium downtown, or NF. Tailgating is over. At least as we know it. It'll be like corporate beer tents for our foreseeable future.

Which is why I'd rather perform a Chicago Bears, GB Packers, KC Chiefs type renovation on the Ralph. Add another level over the end zones on top of the scoreboards or something. But keep the team playing where they are.

The last thing we need is more seats in another level though. The Ralph replacemnent needs to seat 65K not 90K

That is not going to happen long term either. The only way that it will is if they do something like Denver. It could be "Geico Field at Ralph Wilson Stadium" but I doubt it. Naming rights will almost certainly be sold.

Been saying that for years. I don't think it's disrespectful to RW to add a field sponsor. I'm sure Mary Wilson would have the final say, though.

Whatever they do, I hope the Bills maintain the stadium name as "Ralph Wilson Stadium". Especially after we lost Ralph in 2014

Too much money to be made on naming rights. By the time a new stadium is built and a new owner is found years will have passed. He should be honored in some way, however.

The last thing we need is more seats in another level though. The Ralph replacemnent needs to seat 65K not 90K

then

Ore suites or luxury types of seats with heaters and wait service at yiur seat. Not quite as expensive as a box, but more expensive than the average ticket. More party areas at the end zones like a bar/restaurant that overlooks the action, much like the 200 level in First Niagara.

There are plenty of options.

FWIW - I was in Minneapolis for work a couple of years ago during baseball season. The Twins stadium had recently been built in downtown Minneapolis. Target Field holds just under 40,000 fans.

I was staying at a Marriott overlooking the area and was extremely impressed with what happens to a downtown area when 40,000 people (who probably would not otherwise be there) are downtown both before and after a game. The whole area came to life and business was booming.

As an aside, if you are a baseball fan and find yourself in Minneapolis, you may want to go to a game. We were able to catch one game against the White Sox, and I was very impressed with the stadium.

the only problem is that this is not baseball. This is football. People can leave work a little early and still catch a baseball game. Football is an all day event. Also, there are 80 games a year in baseball, and only 8 in football. Defeats the purpose a little.

I don't remember that BUT it's been a while.

I can't imagine anyone rolling a keg down Jefferson/Best for very long, even in the 60's. Considering that there was NO convenient parking, if you could get the keg from wherever you were parked, into the Rockpile, UP the ramps etc.etc. I guess you deserved it.

My dad went to every game with his brothers and they bought an extra seat to every game for Mr. Keg..lol..now we cant even bring in a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup...

More than likely they'll sell the naming rights and dedicate a special portion of the stadium to Ralph...i.e. the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Memorial Family Section.

Been saying that for years. I don't think it's disrespectful to RW to add a field sponsor. I'm sure Mary Wilson would have the final say, though.

I still like the sound of Ralph Wilson Field at New Era Stadium.

I live in Washington, DC and go to a lot of Nationals games. I know baseball is a completely different sport, but you can still have fun without full tailgating per se. When the Nationals moved to DC, the city demolished an entire neighborhood and gave most of the surrounding stadium land to the owners (quite controversial).

They built a few high-rise buildings but they left a square block across the street that they converted into an open air venue that's been quite a hit. Yes, its kind of like the "beer tents" we dread but you can drink beer (6-7 bucks I believe), sit at picnic tables, play cornhole and they do have (somewhat passible) bands play on game days. They also use the space for concerts and other events on non-game days.

It's obviously not tailgating I know and yes, it is baseball, but friends from out of town always tell me how much more fun Nats "pregamming" is versus their cities' baseball venue. If keeping the Bills in Buffalo forces us to have a stadium downtown or in a venue in a more concentrated urban area with minimal "DIY" tailgating, as long as they do something like the Nationals did, I think I can stomach it.

Check ou the pictures on yelp

Edited by TheLynchTrain

I live in Washington, DC and go to a lot of Nationals games. I know baseball is a completely different sport, but you can still have fun without full tailgating per se. When the Nationals moved to DC, the city demolished an entire neighborhood and gave most of the surrounding stadium land to the owners (quite controversial).

They built a few high-rise buildings but they left a square block across the street that they converted into an open air venue that's been quite a hit. Yes, its kind of like the "beer tents" we dread but you can drink beer (6-7 bucks I believe), sit at picnic tables, play cornhole and they do have (somewhat passible) bands play on game days. They also use the space for concerts and other events on non-game days.

It's obviously not tailgating I know and yes, it is baseball, but friends from out of town always tell me how much more fun Nats "pregamming" is versus their cities' baseball venue. If keeping the Bills in Buffalo forces us to have a stadium downtown or in a venue in a more concentrated urban area with minimal "DIY" tailgating, as long as they do something like the Nationals did, I think I can stomach it.

Check ou the pictures on yelp

That whole naties park area is so well done. Great place to take in a game..

Why is it that tailgating is derogatory ?

For me it's having a beer with my dad, grandfather and brother while tossing a football with my 4 yr old and grilling Italian sausages in anticipation of the game. It's a great experience with family.

If we allow the lowest common denominator to stand as the general representation of every facet of life, then every experience you can think of is corrupted by the stupid and irresponsible into something bad.

That said, I AM willing to venture a guess that the bills never would have had the success filling the stadium during the last 15 years of futility if it wasn't for the whole fan game day experience.

So if they kill tailgating they best do a dam good job replacing it with another great fan experience, or they are just going to have to perpetually win going forward. I'll take the latter... Sure

Maybe for you it is about having that one beer. But I would say the majority take it way too far and it is no longer the lowest common demoninator. It's no longer about what you described above, it is about how fast and how much you can drink.

Fans were also allowed to bring kegs into the Rockpile...not sure it's a fair comparison.

This reminds me that a friend went to a game at the Rockpile with a buddy & put a quarter keg on a 3rd seat. One lady complained but my friend produced a ticket for the "keg seat".

I have only been to 4 NFL stadiums. Buffalo, Cleveland, Dallas (the new stadium) and Chicago. All 4 had more than sufficient tailgating. What new era stadium's don't have tailgating? Dallas is a new stadium and they had tons of tailgating.

What are other NFL stadiums like? What are the approximate percentages of good and poor tailgating in the NFL? What would constitute poor tailgating?

Thanks all!

If the NFL were smart, they would just go right to making 20,000 seat venues with domes and charge top dollar for premium amenities and field proximity while CGIing the backdrop for TV purposes. Why fly to a stadium in London or Paris when you can play stateside and simply superimpose extraordinary backdrops. They could play on the moon, a moon of Saturn, the center of an active volcano, or in a dome at the bottom of the ocean with neon fish checking out the game on the cheap. Better yet, the fans get to chose at home what the backdrop looks like. They could superimpose all kinds of extreme weather if they wished. I think it's the future of home viewing, sooner or later.

This post kind of makes your Username ironic.

Some tailgate are fun and others are nothing more than drunken idiots, peeing on the tires of someone's car and bowling in the parking lot using a keg and beer bottles. Both of which I've seen.

It wouldn't bother me at all to see less tailgaiting and more folks in bars and restaurants.

Edited by oman128

Beer + Captain Morgan.= wasting way too much money inside & @ Bills Store. Logic, people!

I have only been to 4 NFL stadiums. Buffalo, Cleveland, Dallas (the new stadium) and Chicago. All 4 had more than sufficient tailgating. What new era stadium's don't have tailgating? Dallas is a new stadium and they had tons of tailgating.

What are other NFL stadiums like? What are the approximate percentages of good and poor tailgating in the NFL? What would constitute poor tailgating?

Thanks all!

Panthers games are weak sauce compared to The Ralph!

Russ was on WGR this morning and I was frankly kind of surprised that he said that whole we all know there are committees in place where they are looking at options for building a new stadium, but that retro-fitting with the reno they are doing now might do the trick. I feel like that was not an option after hearing Goodell's statement. Here is the audio:

http://audio.wgr550....ndon-on-wgr.htm

IMO, they are in denial. A new stadium is needed. There is no way around it.

I agree. No way does a new owner keep the team in Buffalo without a new stadium. Renovating the existing one has to be explored, but I'd bet everyone involved knows the reality is that it won't be feasible. But if they don't look into it as a possibility they will be in for big PR problems. They have to go through all of the steps.

I've been to the old and new Cleveland stadiums, Cincy's and Pittsburgh's in addition to Buffalo's. The only one worse than the Ralph was the one Cleveland knocked down. I don't see how - even without ownership change - it was going to be renovated. It's that bad. A new owner will get a new stadium along with the revenues it generates and they'll do it here or in Toronto or elsewhere. The city will pony up or they'll lose the team.

Thanks all!

AT&T stadium (Arlington, TX) has only 12,000 parking spaces in 15 lots. Of those 15 lots 10 allow tailgating. Of those 10 that allow tailgating it is allowed on the outside perimeter of the lot only. The parking space must have a grass area behind it. Parking is by permit only. That's pretty restrictive.

Buffalo will not have the space concerns of a major metropolitan area. Unless the stadium is placed in an area where space is at a premium I would expect that the tailgating tradition will continue.

Beer + Captain Morgan.= wasting way too much money inside & @ Bills Store. Logic, people!

Panthers games are weak sauce compared to The Ralph!

I went to a Panthers game back when they first started up, Kerry Collins era, circa 1997. It was a wine and cheese crowd with a touch of Nascar. Weird. They were good, too.

I went to a Panthers game back when they first started up, Kerry Collins era, circa 1997. It was a wine and cheese crowd with a touch of Nascar. Weird. They were good, too.

I was down there for a Sunday night game when Flutie was the QB and I think you paint a pretty accurate portrait of their tailgate scene.

I was down there for a Sunday night game when Flutie was the QB and I think you paint a pretty accurate portrait of their tailgate scene.

The NFL in North Carolina is just a two-month minor distraction while everyone waits for college basketball to get started.

Goodell sux. Money ,Money,Money. O.P. is the best place for the fans. It just won`t be the same gameday .

Well, that's his job. The owners didn't vote him head of the league for his wit and charm. He's there to make the teams as much money as possible and if he wasn't good at doing that he'd be long gone already. He has to balance that with other things - long term league viability, image, etc. - but it is his main job.

I second that to everyone who is worried tailgating will not be the same. I truly believe we have an atmosphere second to none and it's 50% of the experience. I will not enjoy going to games as much if they are let's say DOWNTOWN.

Don't quote me on this...

I am pretty sure in Chicago, you can't be in the parking lots during the game without a ticket. They have been sold out for years. People would tailgate, the one's with tickets would go into the game and the one's (in a party) without tickets would sit in the lot and watch the game on TV... Watching the stuff or getting ready for their party to come back after the game ended for a post game tailgate... That's all ended... No ticket, you can't be in the lot during the game.