Retired scouts view on our draft.

“I just feel that Mel Kiper Jr., knows that the Bills fan base will get upset, and help him gain views on his page. I personally feel the staff in Buffalo did a great job.”

Sounds like this guy knows what he's talking about. :lol:

While I think his attitude of basically "every draft pick is a starter" is a bit much, his commentary is spot on. Look, when all is said and done, Kiper will lick the nut sack of any GM that picks the way he thinks they should pick and punch the nut sack of any GM that diverges significantly. It's his way of thinking that he's smarter than everyone else. Go back to last year and see Kiper's commentary:

Ravens did the best in the draft by picking Matt Elam (FS) and Arthur Brown (LB) as they needed to address the loss of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Really? Matt Elam had 54 tackles and 1 INT. Brown had a grand total of 11 tackles and 0.5 sack. Wow. That's just so awesome.

Bengals did will by drafting Tyler Eifert (TE), Giovani Bernard (RB), and Marqus Hunt (DE). Eifert was drafted 22nd and where did Kiper have him rated? 7th. In his 15 games last season, he had 39 receptions for 445 yards and 2 TDs. NOT a first round value at all. Bernard was decent with about 700 yards and 5 TD's on the ground. Hunt had 0.5 sacks and was a backup.

Remember St. Louis and his praise for the Tavon Austin kid that was supposed to be the next DeSean Jackson? See how that turned out.

Now let's look at the Bills. He cited E.J., Kiko Alonso and Marquis Goodwin all as reaches. Manuel and Goodwin were both incompletes due to injury, but we know how Alonso turned out. As it turns out, he turns out once again to be another 2nd round gem selected by the Bills (with Cordy Glenn).

I don't claim to believe 100% that Watkins is going to be a superstar. However, when you go back and look at Austins pre-draft last year, he would project to be the 6th best receiver in this draft. That should tell you something right there.

nice Buddy Nix interview. :nana:

I thought the same thing.LMAO. I tell you what though. It made my day to read something a little different about the Bills draft instead of Blather from the so-called experts.

While I think his attitude of basically "every draft pick is a starter" is a bit much, his commentary is spot on. Look, when all is said and done, Kiper will lick the nut sack of any GM that picks the way he thinks they should pick and punch the nut sack of any GM that diverges significantly. It's his way of thinking that he's smarter than everyone else. Go back to last year and see Kiper's commentary:

Ravens did the best in the draft by picking Matt Elam (FS) and Arthur Brown (LB) as they needed to address the loss of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. Really? Matt Elam had 54 tackles and 1 INT. Brown had a grand total of 11 tackles and 0.5 sack. Wow. That's just so awesome.

Bengals did will by drafting Tyler Eifert (TE), Giovani Bernard (RB), and Marqus Hunt (DE). Eifert was drafted 22nd and where did Kiper have him rated? 7th. In his 15 games last season, he had 39 receptions for 445 yards and 2 TDs. NOT a first round value at all. Bernard was decent with about 700 yards and 5 TD's on the ground. Hunt had 0.5 sacks and was a backup.

Remember St. Louis and his praise for the Tavon Austin kid that was supposed to be the next DeSean Jackson? See how that turned out.

Now let's look at the Bills. He cited E.J., Kiko Alonso and Marquis Goodwin all as reaches. Manuel and Goodwin were both incompletes due to injury, but we know how Alonso turned out. As it turns out, he turns out once again to be another 2nd round gem selected by the Bills (with Cordy Glenn).

I don't claim to believe 100% that Watkins is going to be a superstar. However, when you go back and look at Austins pre-draft last year, he would project to be the 6th best receiver in this draft. That should tell you something right there.

I agree with this! Especially the nut sack part.

While I like our draft, this looks like a Bills fan (look at the other reviews of our picks by the "author") played the role of "retired NFL scout" to drive visitors to his site. Not buying it.

I agree with his takes on Watkins, Kujo, Cockrell, and Richardson, and likewise know nothing about Randell Johnson. Not buying the stuff about Henderson, but he was a 7th rounder and anything they get out of him (and Johnson) is gravy. As for Brown, I've seen him ranked as high as the 3rd ILB just behind Mosley and Borland, but I like his size and speed over Borland and hope this is another Kiko versus Arthur Brown repeat.

Why no name for the retired NFL scout? Seems odd that somebody who retired from the game would not want his name attached to a draft recap.

Any scout, retired or not, who stated:" For Seatrel, he was my top rated offensive tackle behind Mathews" should be laughted out of his profession! I have no problem with the Bills' draft and maneuvers. I found it refreshing that Whaley was willing to take a major risk for such a high end talent as Watkins. But being enthusiastic about the team's draft in general shouldn't delude anyone into believeing that their seventh round selection was as good as the second best OT in this draft.

Any scout, retired or not, who stated:" For Seatrel, he was my top rated offensive tackle behind Mathews" should be laughted out of his profession! I have no problem with the Bills' draft and maneuvers. I found it refreshing that Whaley was willing to take a major risk for such a high end talent as Watkins. But being enthusiastic about the team's draft in general shouldn't delude anyone into believeing that their seventh round selection was as good as the second best OT in this draft.

Can't agree more. As I said in the other thread where this is linked, for this "former NFL scout" to say that Henderson is rated ahead of guys like Richardson, Lewan, and Martin is just ludicrous. Maybe that's why he's a "former" NFL scout.

GO BILLS!!!

Can't agree more. As I said in the other thread where this is linked, for this "former NFL scout" to say that Henderson is rated ahead of guys like Richardson, Lewan, and Martin is just ludicrous. Maybe that's why he's a "former" NFL scout.

GO BILLS!!!

its a pretty broad term.... anyone thats worked a day as even a low level scout might profess to be a "former nfl scout." saying that about henderson certainly gives reason to discount the rest. that said, im happy with the draft.

I don't think that's a real interview. Just my opinion. It sounds like a word-for-word Bills fan defense of the draft choices, presented as an interview with a "retired NFL scout", who for some reason refused to be named.

Yeah this is probably 100% hooey.

Diamond Talbot getting gaccess to anyone of note is laughable.

Ha. People think he talked to Nix.

damond went to one of those nfl scout academy type places a few years back if i remember correctly. it could easily be a friend he made there that was briefly employed by a team and is already a former. in fact, i hate to say it, but that would be my first guess.

Kiper and Espn want to entertain more than be scouts or be factual. I'm done with them.

Not sure if I agree S.Henderson should have been a 1st rd pick but he certainly has 1st rd talent. All of the picks, with the exception of the FAU guy have a chance to compete for a starting spot, no question.

Yeah this is probably 100% hooey.

Diamond Talbot getting gaccess to anyone of note is laughable.

Ha. People think he talked to Nix.

I agree. Talbot can't write. The "anonymous scout" makes many of the same mistakes in his writing as Talbot does. There is no evidence that this is legitimate.

GO BILLS!!!

Let me add another twist to our seventh round selection of Seantrel Henderson: It was a fantastic pick at that point. The organization selected a player who clearly has physical abilities. He lacks discipline, motivation and maturity. Odds are that someone who has not capitalized on multiple opportunities after numerous slip-ups will not work out. On the other hand sometimes when a player is at the end of the line after multiple redemptions the light turns on. Chris Carter is an example of a player with talent who initially did not play up to his potential because of a bad attitude. When he finally decided to change his attitude he ended up actualizing his abundant potential.

It is not going to take the Bills' staff very long to determine whether he is worth the selection. Maybe getting out of the Miami fast lane environment will be a factor in changing his attitude. If Henderson turns out to be a practice squad player working on his game then his selection will be a major bonus and a smart move by the front office.

I love the guy's comments. Whoever it is, he has me more excited.

Come on Peter? You do realize this is just one of Damond's fictional characters or some wash out never was scout who Damond tapped for this piece. Of course that guy is going to give a big pep talk and make it all homer-ish.

What you notice you don't see is that scouts take on other teams. That's what I want to see, because I bet you, if he does exist, he would have the same homer-style fanboy write up. I'd look myself but I do not want to give him any more credit or ad-rev.

Not to burst your bubble, because we have a lot of hope and promise on our roster - but c'mon man. This is Damond Talbot we're talking about here and this was all done for clicks to his site.

I don't think that's a real interview. Just my opinion. It sounds like a word-for-word Bills fan defense of the draft choices, presented as an interview with a "retired NFL scout", who for some reason refused to be named.

Isn't that Damond Talbot's page and doesn't he see himself as an NFL scout? Could be a buddy of his, low level former scout for some time.

I agree with our anonymous retired NFL scout. You have to analyze our draft based on the PLAYERS WE PICKED NOT BASED ON WHAT WE TRADED TO MAKE THE PICKS. That's called grading the TRADE which is what all of the so-called experts are doing. They're mixing the draft and the trade together. Though I don't think the trade was bad (I learned my lesson with the Julio Jones trade!), I would have no problem with someone grading the trade a C- as long as they went on to separately grade the players we drafted (and if they did that I think the lowest we get is a B). As for me, I give the trade a C because I think in car buying terms we paid MSRP (not invoice which would have been an A- and not $200 above invoice which would have been a B) but I give the draft a B+ (I think Sammy is clearly the real deal and I think the OL picks might turn out to be great, sounds like "Cockring" is gonna be a nice addition and I understand the Brown pick but I really don't like passing on a DE and TE).

Whaley and company have really turned the culture of this franchise around and I think the old ways were what was holding us back. If you don't agree think about all of the moves made--draft picks, UDFAs (Robey!), FAs (Branch, Lawson and the guys this year), the trades (Hughes) and resigning the guys we need. This is the year we see some improvement in the win column and next year is the year we get back to the playoffs! Try to be patient folks, they're building us a team that will contend for years to come (not four Super Bowl appearances in a row but that really wore me down!).

Edited by biggerdaddynj