DC candidates

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Pettine leaves, I guarantee that Henderson gets the job. He's very popular with the players and they won't have to change the playbook.

No doubt in my mind Henderson is our new defensive coordinator.

I agree with this. They'll promote within for DC but look outside for a new LB's or DB's coach.

Henderson is not necessarily going to maintain the same scheme as Pettine. He came over with Marrone from Syracuse, not with Pettine from the Jets and Ravens (although he was a Jet pre-Ryan, and a Ravens assistant in the distant past.) He's 8 years away from his last DC jobs, where he was not successful.

I'd take a long look at Wade. Jim Schwartz is available, and despite Detroit's struggles, he ran some solid defenses under Fisher in Tennessee. Steve Spagnuolo had some moments in New York (though tanked as a HC and had a very bad year in New Orleans).

I know that Pettine is being discussed in other places but thought that it would be prudent to start a thread on the candidates to replace him if he indeed goes. Schefter & Mort are both saying that he is the favorite.

I will throw a few names off the top of my head. Please add anyone that you guys can think of:

-Donnie Henderson

-Perry Fewell

-Gregg Williams (an idiot but he plays that attacking style)

Can Crossman do it?

Greggo Marrone will probably take a 14 year old kid that can "obviously handle everything but can't do it all" like he did at OC.

Not sure what age has to do with it... Adam Gase is younger than Hackett but happened to have Peyton Manning instead of 2 rookies and a PS QB who started games this year. I love how people just have to make fun of the way Marrone talks as if it has any bearing on what he can do as a coach, at all. It is funny on a message board, I get it... but don't really see comparisons to Gregggg with Marrone.

Didn't Wade make Mario move to OLB in the one season he played in that defense. I thought Mario did not like that. Phillips requires a big wide bodied Nose Tackle to make his defense successful. We do not have a Mt.Washington on this roster.

Mario played a ton of olb this past season and wades NT in dallas was jay ratliff who is basically kyle williams.

Fewell did win a SB with the Giants running that defense a couple of years ago.

I believe the Coordinators and Position coaches are considered at the same level. A position coach moving to a Coordinator role on another team is considered a lateral move.

Position coaches can leave to become a coordinator it is a promotion

I think Jim Schwartz is a likely candidate. Runs a defense closer to a 4-3 than Wade who is 3-4 all the way.

We run more of a 3-4 than a 4-3 so why would we flip flop for the 4th time in 5 years. We also have been drafting for a 3-4. We have the perfect personell to run a wade phillips defense.http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/1/4/1913068/thats-so-crazy-it-just-might-work-examining-wade-phillips-3-4-scheme

Edited by kr632

We run more of a 3-4 than a 4-3 so why would we flip flop for the 4th time in 5 years. We also have been drafting for a 3-4. We have the perfect personell to run a wade phillips defense.http://www.battleredblog.com/2011/1/4/1913068/thats-so-crazy-it-just-might-work-examining-wade-phillips-3-4-scheme

I agree. Schwartz is a 4-3 guy, they won't change things up that much. I think they make Henderson the DC (he is a Marrone guy anyway who he brought over) and hire from the outside for the LB coaches. They already hired Hafley from Tampa who was the secondaries coach there. He can take DH's place. They may let O'Neil go to Cleve with Pettine. They would need a ILB and OLB coach.

i believe the "promotion rule" only applies in head coach searches. part of why itll be tough for pettine to stock his staff, as well as possibly us with ours (depending on what direction we go)

I agree. Schwartz is a 4-3 guy, they won't change things up that much. I think they make Henderson the DC (he is a Marrone guy anyway who he brought over) and hire from the outside for the LB coaches. They already hired Hafley from Tampa who was the secondaries coach there. He can take DH's place. They may let O'Neil go to Cleve with Pettine. They would need a ILB and OLB coach.

hafley seems like a timely hire to make the adjustments you mention. generally id agree this is the plan but who knows....

No - they are all the same (positon/coordinator) per the NFL rules. Only HC is considered a promotion. Bills can keep them all (if they want to).

Ralph will always have a "say"

He signs the checks. Any power Russ has was GIVEN to him by Ralph.

This is part of the problem though. We have a lightweight playing with someone else's toy so nobody knows who is really in charge here.

I can say that Ralph really has ZERO say at this point. Russ has 100% control. Ralph has not had a say in a long, long time. It was Littman that had the say and that power has all gone to Russ recently. Based on what I know Littman was always the problem.

I can say that Ralph really has ZERO say at this point. Russ has 100% control. Ralph has not had a say in a long, long time. It was Littman that had the say and that power has all gone to Russ recently. Based on what I know Littman was always the problem.

It makes sense that a guy who is 95 going on 96 and whose health is too poor to travel likely stays out of the day to day business of the team. Maybe the "inner circle" just lets Russ play and have his fun more than before.

However, if Ralph or his "handlers" get wind of something they don't like, Russ is going to do what he is told. Ralph Wilson is the owner of the Buffalo Bills. Russ Brandon is a marketing guy who gets to play big shot because the real owner is pushing 96 years old.

Good for Russ, must be cool. But let's not pretend he suddenly owns the team.

I say hogwash...Littman probably did NOT set the spending parameters. that was done by ralph and now russ.

Littman counts the beans two ways.

#1- the NFL Salary Cap (for each and every player, for current & future years).

#2- the Bills cash flow (the so called internal "cash to cap") how much cash is available to use on upfront bonus money.

lets say the league salary cap is $125 mil. Ralph or Russ may say to the GM & Littman you can spend to $120, we will save some room for injury replacements.

Pepper Johnson, learned from the best for over a decade. It would be worth an interview, ya Neva know

Not sure what to make of this, but I was listening to WEEI this afternoon and they were talking about PJ. They said that they were sad to see him go, but that he simply wasn't' coach material. that he was more of a translator between the coaches and the players. Players loved him.

Not sure what to make of that other than that it was their opinion PJ was a great guy in the perfect role for him. That PJ wanted to take on more, but they (and NE) didn't think he was capable.

I know that Pettine is being discussed in other places but thought that it would be prudent to start a thread on the candidates to replace him if he indeed goes. Schefter & Mort are both saying that he is the favorite.

I will throw a few names off the top of my head. Please add anyone that you guys can think of:

-Donnie Henderson

-Perry Fewell

-Gregg Williams (an idiot but he plays that attacking style)

Seems to me our next DC is already here...DON'T LET HIM LEAVE! Donnie Henderson's Bio as DC.

In 2004, Henderson was the coordinator for the Jets defense that improved to seventh, from 21st, in the NFL in total defense and rookie linebacker Jonathan Vilma was named the 2004 AP Defensive Rookie of the Season. In 2005, the Jets finished second in the NFL in total passing yards allowed (172.2 avg.) and finished fifth with 21 interceptions.

I think it's simple: a 95 year old Ralph Wilson told Russ that he was getting too old and frail to run the day to day operation, so he told Russ to run it for him and that he would let him run the show.

That said, Ralph (or his handlers) could veto a move at any time, and Russ still works for them.

The way some people talk Ralph Wilson signed ownership of the team over to Russ Brandon last winter. Russ is the first one gone when a new owner takes over, so he better enjoy it now.