DC candidates

It appears that Marrone likes the young up & comer's on his staff (especially with the pickup of Tampa's DB coach) with that being said don't be surprise with Jim O'Neil replacing Pettine as our next DC.

Picking from this list of candidates ,I'd take Spags, Schwartzs, Henderson or Johnson.

spags was hired by the Saints as their new DC in 2012, and let go the next year.

Since HC Sean Payton was suspended for the year, good ole spags was left to his own devices. As a result the Saints then allowed the most yards of any defense in the entire history of the NFL. This was the first time in four years the NO Saints missed the playoffs

ummm, no thanks :thumbdown:

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spags was hired by the Saints as their new DC in 2012, and let go the next year.

Since HC Sean Payton was suspended for the year, good ole spags was left to his own devices. As a result the Saints then allowed the most yards of any defense in the entire history of the NFL. This was the first time in four years the NO Saints missed the playoffs

ummm, no thanks :thumbdown:

Doesn't that seem, to you, to be kind of an extreme scenario to use to judge the guy? Before that he ran the defense that stopped Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.

He is indeed reliable, and he is indeed correct about Russ being The Man now (Kirby ain't the only one that knows stuff :D )

I'll back Kirby too. If he says something has been going on at OBD for the last decade or so, I chalk it up as essentially fact.

Doesn't that seem, to you, to be kind of an extreme scenario to use to judge the guy? Before that he ran the defense that stopped Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.

His track record isn't that impressive outside of stopping Brady in the SB. His EXTREMELY talented pass rush got him a lot of credit his schemes didnt deserve. He's wannstedt but with a more talented group of ends that got hot.

Didn't Wade make Mario move to OLB in the one season he played in that defense. I thought Mario did not like that. Phillips requires a big wide bodied Nose Tackle to make his defense successful. We do not have a Mt.Washington on this roster.

We need one.

Nothing against any of the outside candidates, but it seems that typically when a team loses an OC or DC to another team as a HC, they promote from within rather than go out and bring in a guy from the outside. The idea is to retain the same system that clearly would have been effective enough to help garner the guy a HC role. Sometimes the current team will try to immediately elevate someone to DC who they think would be recruited to go along with the new HC (like O'Neil). But in this case it seems like they were only there for such a short time, and O'Neil really doesn't have a great DC resume to be on his own (but may be fine alongside Pettine) so I would expect them to promote another guy, probably Henderson, at this point and fill in position coaches where needed. It just makes the most sense. If (I hope not) the defense takes a significant dive next year, and they also miss the playoffs again, then perhaps Henderson is demoted or fired and they bring in a new guy. Clearly, that would be the worst case scenario.

Edited by YoloinOhio

We need one.

Not quite . we want one is better said .

Troupe did not work out and we have not replaced that type of player. I thought Branch might serve that role but i feel ya Bill.

Be nice to have a fat kid at the Nose

Nothing against any of the outside candidates, but it seems that typically when a team loses an OC or DC to another team as a HC, they promote from within rather than go out and bring in a guy from the outside. The idea is to retain the same system that clearly would have been effective enough to help garner the guy a HC role. Sometimes the current team will try to immediately elevate someone to DC who they think would be recruited to go along with the new HC (like O'Neil). But in this case it seems like they were only there for such a short time, and O'Neil really doesn't have a great DC resume to be on his own (but may be fine alongside Pettine) so I would expect them to promote another guy, probably Henderson, at this point and fill in position coaches where needed. It just makes the most sense. If (I hope not) the defense takes a significant dive next year, and they also miss the playoffs again, then perhaps Henderson is demoted or fired and they bring in a new guy. Clearly, that would be the worst case scenario.

In the short term its the smart thing to do for continuity .

A good GM is still hunting though. Continue improving each position when opportunity presents.

You may not be giving it, but I just don't understand the love for Henderson. He's been a DC before and has crashed and burned. Not exactly an inspiring choice, but I suppose this is what we should expect. I guess we should be focusing on Marrone's past buddies too.

I would vote for Wade. A proven DC.

Yes, he seems to be a very good secondary coach. Fwiw, Stephon didn't exactly light it up though.

Yeah, Belichick crashed and burned in Cleveland too!

I'm on the Henderson train! Maybe he can help get Byrd to re-sign.

How about offering Donnie Henderson the DC gig?

Christ people, Donnie Henderson looks like one of the worst DCs on the planet. He was run out of NY after the Jets finished 32nd against the run. Then presided over the 27th ranked Lions defense for Rod Marinelli's 3-13 Lions.

I was shocked and disappointed he was even on the staff. If they make him the DC, I am expecting the absolute worst.

There is a difference between knowing the scheme and having the knack for knowing what defenses to call, when to blitz, when to pressure, when to call something exotic, etc, and when not to. Pettine was pretty good at calling plays and defenses. That's a skill there is no apprenticeship for, but having experience in it could and should be an advantage. Of course, that experience may have proved the guy lacks the knack.

The Bills have waffled back and forth between the 4-3 and the hybrid 3-4, costing development time by changing schemes. If they go back to the 4-3, I will absolutely, positively expect it bc it's what they do.

Anybody who knows the Wade Phillips history knows that he is never coming back to the Bills as long as Mr wilson lives. the whole ronnie white (?) thing is it. Wilson insisted Wade fire the inept special teams coach that was Wade's Gumba. Wade refused...so Wade was fired. Then, the Bills, insisting that Wade did not follow direction, tried to not pay him for the remainder of his contract. (separated for cause) Wade took the Bills to court, and finally the NFL stepped in to force Wilson to pay Phillips. I actually think Wilson had a case.....but whatever. Wade is NEVER coming back to work for Wilson, end of story. The moneybags guy will know the whole story. (Overdorf)

Edited by bigK14094

Anybody who knows the Wade Phillips history knows that he is never coming back to the Bills as long as Mr wilson lives. the whole ronnie white (?) thing is it. Wilson insisted Wade fire the inept special teams coach that was Wade's Gumba. Wade refused...so Wade was fired. Then, the Bills, insisting that Wade did not follow direction, tried to not pay him for the remainder of his contract. (separated for cause) Wade took the Bills to court, and finally the NFL stepped in to force Wilson to pay Phillips. I actually think Wilson had a case.....but whatever. Wade is NEVER coming back to work for Wilson, end of story. The moneybags guy will know the whole story. (Overdorf)

Except Wade himself said he would. Otherwise, you're all over it.