DC candidates

Yeah, was just joking.

In all seriousness, I am sure they have a decent plan--but I would bet it is focused only on internal candidates. They probably will look at O'Neil and Henderson, and then make the decision.

If Chris Brown is to be believed, they are indeed seriously looking at at least one candidate from outside the organization.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This, but remember that a good coordinator builds his scheme based on the personnel. This is why Wade has been successful wherever he's been as a DC. Bill Parcells did this, Bill Belichick did this, etc. Remember when Gregg Williams tried to force an offense on Rob Johnson or when Jauron came here and ran a Cover 2? It doesn't necessarily work unless you have the right personnel.

Right. I'd like someone who could use our obvious strengths on D & make our D better especially against the run. Wade by all accounts likes having the prototype NT that we lack. Terrence Cody is a FA so maybe that's the directions we go. Moving Mario & Hughes to OLB. Believe Mario had 5.5 sacks in his 5 games at OLB in 2011 under Wade.

Right. I'd like someone who could use our obvious strengths on D & make our D better especially against the run. Wade by all accounts likes having the prototype NT that we lack. Terrence Cody is a FA so maybe that's the directions we go. Moving Mario & Hughes to OLB. Believe Mario had 5.5 sacks in his 5 games at OLB in 2011 under Wade.

Actually, Wade has gone a long time without the monster-type NT. He used 293-lb Jay Ratliff in that role in Dallas, and Earl Mitchell played that spot in Houston.

I think he'd manage the talent here just fine.

If the Bills bring Wade back as the DC, I would love it --- just like ~99% of Bills fans. Because only then could we be sure the Bills defense would not show much of a drop off. Not that it is certain that this would come to pass, but it would certainly be the perception for 99% of their customers.

And I would certainly believe Russ Brandon also realizes this. Russ probably would not make the call, but I would bet dollars to donuts that he would help sell Wade on the gig if Whaley/Marrone felt like he was the best choice. And Wade is smart enough to realize we have a ton of real talent on that side of the ball ... heck, on the defensive line alone.

I am sure Russ could then explain how Ralph is barely even around, no longer making decisions, and how Russ does not have his shine box anymore. And the payoff for Russ would be in ticket sales, something he has proven he knows how to do, and seemingly against all odds.

It would almost be just as if the Sabres were to bring fan favorites like Ted Nolan and Pat LaFontaine back into the organization. Hey, wait a second

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

If the Bills bring Wade back as the DC, I would love it --- just like ~99% of Bills fans. Because only then could we be sure the Bills defense would not show much of a drop off. Not that it is certain that this would come to pass, but it would certainly be the perception for 99% of their customers.

And I would certainly believe Russ Brandon also realizes this. Russ probably would not make the call, but I’d bet dollars to donuts that he would help sell Wade on the gig if Whaley/Marrone felt like he was the best choice. And Wade is smart enough to realize we have a ton of real talent on that side of the ball ... heck, on the defensive line alone.

I am sure Russ could then explain how Ralph is barely even around, no longer making decisions, & how Russ doesn’t have his shine box anymore. And the payoff for Russ would be in ticket sales, something he has proven he knows how to do, and seemingly against all odds.

It’d almost be just as if the Sabres were to bring fan favorites like Ted Nolan and Pat LaFontaine back into the organization. Hey, wait a second …

First of all your user name may be the best on this site.

I doubt that Wade would come here or that they want him, but I was also completely wrong about any team wanting a DC from a 6-10 team as HC.

Edited by chris heff

First of all your user name may be the best on this site.

I doubt that Wade would come here or that they want him, but I was also completely wrong about any team wanting a DC from a 6-10 team as HC.

Good coaches get hired all the time regardless of a team's record. Rex Ryan went from a lame duck to getting a contract extension with a losing record. It is about philosophy, organization and the ability to maximize your talent. Those are all qualities that MP possess.

I like Wade and all that..................didn't he have to file a lawsuit against RW to pay him his guaranteed money? I think that may have burnt his bridge for coming back...................unless RW doesn't know anything going on around him

I must stress that I have zero information that he's being considered...just that I've seen his name brought up and was astounded to find out that Pittsburgh granted Tennessee permission to interview him.

I'm surprised as well, seeing as how word is they're grooming him to replace LeBeau.

the Bills announced days ago they had a plan in place if Pettine leaves.

that means it is highly likely that person is already on the staff.

DB Coach Donnie Henderson is that guy.

Henderson was with Marrone at Syracuse. think he would more inclined to stay with Marrone then follow Pettine. he has been a DC for the JETS & Lions previously.

if they are looking outside the organization at other candidates it's just to fend off PR criticism. otherwise, if your "plan already in place" was to start looking once pettine leaves, that's horse manure.

it's going to be Donnie Henderson.

Henderson was with Marrone at Syracuse. think he would more inclined to stay with Marrone then follow Pettine. he has been a DC for the JETS & Lions previously.

if they are looking outside the organization at other candidates it's just to fend off PR criticism. otherwise, if your "plan already in place" was to start looking once pettine leaves, that's horse manure.

No, having a plan in place means just that: a plan. They didn't say that they had a specific person to appoint immediately upon Pettine's departure.

Is that like WEO's 0% chance that Pettine goes to Browns?

Well, I blew that one, but to be fair, of the 7 HC spots available, only one gave him a sniff--the worst job available.

And even they jerked him around for a week, waiting until their first and then second choices actually withdrew themselves ("no thanks"!!) from consideration. The corpse of Jim Caldwell got a HC job before Pettine.

I was that close!

Well, I blew that one, but to be fair, of the 7 HC spots available, only one gave him a sniff--the worst job available.

And even they jerked him around for a week, waiting until their first and then second choices actually withdrew themselves ("no thanks"!!) from consideration. The corpse of Jim Caldwell got a HC job before Pettine.

I was that close!

The fans are really upset. I hope he does well. It is not going well so far, locally.

I like Wade and all that..................didn't he have to file a lawsuit against RW to pay him his guaranteed money? I think that may have burnt his bridge for coming back...................unless RW doesn't know anything going on around him

shouldn't that make wade a bit skeptical?...having to sue to get paid and all? never read how that ended. i'm guessing it was settled and that's why it wasn't news.

The other reason I think it will be Henderson is this, in spite of the vindictive nature of many posters her's who'd name O'Neal (beliee that's the LB coaches name) the DC just to screw Cleaveland, professional teams will look out for the overall development of people. If the Bill's name Henderson and let O'Neal go to Cleveland, two people get promoted to DC. I'm sure if the Bill's feel O'Neal is heads and shoulders the better choice, then probably don't follow my strategy, but if it's close to a coin flip between the two, then Henderson is the next DC.

At this point way to late to bring in an outsdie guy, unless he's happy with the entire staff.