DC candidates

Well, I blew that one, but to be fair, of the 7 HC spots available, only one gave him a sniff--the worst job available.

And even they jerked him around for a week, waiting until their first and then second choices actually withdrew themselves ("no thanks"!!) from consideration. The corpse of Jim Caldwell got a HC job before Pettine.

I was that close!

yea, even with the hiring, it was hardly the conventional go of it - while many will jump to call you out on it, id say even in hindsight it was SLIM odds.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I blew that one, but to be fair, of the 7 HC spots available, only one gave him a sniff--the worst job available.

And even they jerked him around for a week, waiting until their first and then second choices actually withdrew themselves ("no thanks"!!) from consideration. The corpse of Jim Caldwell got a HC job before Pettine.

I was that close!

You were a victim of the perfect schitstorm.

I was that close!

You can never depend on the Browns.

if they are looking outside the organization at other candidates it's just to fend off PR criticism. otherwise, if your "plan already in place" was to start looking once pettine leaves, that's horse manure.

it's going to be Donnie Henderson.

Very good point, I was just going by what others have indicated on here regarding Wade’s interest, so it could just be Chris Brown doing his PR-themed job.

The DC hire will tell all as far as what their plan was. I also agree that Donnie Henderson is the likely in-house choice at this point.

Besides Wade, I would also love to see Jim Schwartz in the mix. He may have failed as a HC, but he was afforded that opportunity based on his fine work as a DC in Tennessee. And his chase-down of Jim Harbaugh after the “I won my first big JV game” backslap was warranted. It also tells me the guy has some fire to him. He has handled Suh reasonably well, so he could probably handle Dareus.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

Take it FWIW, but word from another board and from a respected poster is that the Bills will have their DC within the next 2 days. They are going hard after a "name" and good coach outside the organization, but if that falls through, they'll look inside. I hope the guy they're going after is Wade.

Dick LeBeau disciple Keith Butler? Would love that hire. If not, Wade would do I suppose.

Take it FWIW, but word from another board and from a respected poster is that the Bills will have their DC within the next 2 days. They are going hard after a "name" and good coach outside the organization, but if that falls through, they'll look inside. I hope the guy they're going after is Wade.

Nice little bit of info.

My money is now on Schwartz. He meets this criteria, plus Marrone wants an aggressive defense--which is Schwartz's MO.

I said this in another thread, but Schwartz and Marrone were on the same staff in Tennessee too, so there could be a connection there.

the Bills announced days ago they had a plan in place if Pettine leaves.

that means it is highly likely that person is already on the staff.

DB Coach Donnie Henderson is that guy.

Henderson was with Marrone at Syracuse. think he would more inclined to stay with Marrone then follow Pettine. he has been a DC for the JETS & Lions previously.

if they are looking outside the organization at other candidates it's just to fend off PR criticism. otherwise, if your "plan already in place" was to start looking once pettine leaves, that's horse manure.

it's going to be Donnie Henderson.

I'm confused - because they said they had a plan in place should Pettine leaves it either means they definitely going internal or just saying that to fend off criticisms?

The quote from Whaley was:

“Right now, I think he’s having an interview as we speak. If he does get it, we will be happy for him, but we do have a plan in place. We just hope this resolution comes sooner rather than later," Doug Whaley told Buffalobills.com. “Coach has identified a couple of guys and as soon as we hear one way or another, if it’s good news for Pettine, than we’ll just enact our plan that we have in place,”

To me that more like - we see the writing on the wall that one of our guys is going to leave, so we're considering new candidates , deciding who we'll call first, putting together interview questions and speaking points, considering tlmelines, reaching out for availability.

It's just good business. You see that something might potentially be happening so you put a plan in place to deal with it.

Everything on TBD is always in full Jump To Conclusions mode...

Nice little bit of info.

My money is now on Schwartz. He meets this criteria, plus Marrone wants an aggressive defense--which is Schwartz's MO.

I said this in another thread, but Schwartz and Marrone were on the same staff in Tennessee too, so there could be a connection there.

Understandable mistake but they were never on the same staff. Marrone worked for Tennessee volunteers, Schwartz for the titans.

Henderson will be the guy. No doubt in my mind whatsoever. Wade just makes too much sense for this organization.

Henderson is the only Coordinator around with a worse track record than Crossman, so he may absorb some of Danny's heat. So it makes sense.

Someone please tell me how Donnie Henderson is even being mentioned other than the convenient "He's here already" argument.

I'm confused - because they said they had a plan in place should Pettine leaves it either means they definitely going internal or just saying that to fend off criticisms?

The quote from Whaley was:

“Right now, I think he’s having an interview as we speak. If he does get it, we will be happy for him, but we do have a plan in place. We just hope this resolution comes sooner rather than later," Doug Whaley told Buffalobills.com. “Coach has identified a couple of guys and as soon as we hear one way or another, if it’s good news for Pettine, than we’ll just enact our plan that we have in place,”

To me that more like - we see the writing on the wall that one of our guys is going to leave, so we're considering new candidates , deciding who we'll call first, putting together interview questions and speaking points, considering tlmelines, reaching out for availability.

It's just good business. You see that something might potentially be happening so you put a plan in place to deal with it.

Everything on TBD is always in full Jump To Conclusions mode...

Totally agree. I don't see how they could have already named a guy by now. In fact, the longer they wait the more the people who don't want Henderson or O'Neil will probably be happy. If they were going to automatically promote one of them, they would have had the time to decide that.

All I know is last time the Bills made the playoffs Wade was on the sideline.

Enough for me right there.

Last time the Bills were in the SB,,, Marv was on the side lines....We brought him back into the organization and that back fired. I like the idea of Wade as a DC, but to think "All I know is last time the Bills made the playoffs Wade was on the sideline" may not be a good way for hiring staff!

Henderson is the only Coordinator around with a worse track record than Crossman, so he may absorb some of Danny's heat. So it makes sense.

Someone please tell me how Donnie Henderson is even being mentioned other than the convenient "He's here already" argument.

Worse track record than Crossman? Henderson's defenses in NY in 2004 and 2005 ranked 7th and 12th in the NFL.

Granted, his one year in Detroit was an unmitigated disaster--mostly due to a relative dearth of defensive talent thanks to Matt Millen's drafting prowess.

No thanks to Wade, IMO and no thanks to anyone on the Staff right now, especially Henderson.

What I would like (not that the BILLS are asking me, just to make that clear so no one jumps down my throat) is for them to find that "forward thinking" DC that Brandon said the organization would become when he took over last January. I want that creative, ravenous, and determined to be a winner at all costs DC that will bend every rule, break every opponent, leave no stone unturned, foaming and seething DC that would LOVE to send Brady into retirement, love to take every RB out of the game from hard hits and dominate every...single...play WITH the talent already ON the team and without excuses. Excitement and focus with an ability to command respect and leadership from the Defensive guys....too much to ask?? Maybe...but, gotta shoot high right?

Edited by BigBuff423

Last time the Bills were in the SB,,, Marv was on the side lines....We brought him back into the organization and that back fired. I like the idea of Wade as a DC, but to think "All I know is last time the Bills made the playoffs Wade was on the sideline" may not be a good way for hiring staff!

Difference being of course is that Wade has been is one of the best DCs in the game over the last 20 years and would `be hired for that position, while Marv was brought in for a spot he's never done before, while being totally out of touch with the league for the previous decade.

It is surprising we have not heard a named leaked as to who the outside name is. Especially; after the onslaught of tweets about who the Browns were looking at and interview for HC.

Maybe the difference between a well-run organization and uh...ah, never mind