DC candidates

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give one of our assistants a shot for a year and see how it goes. Keep the scheme, the players like it. The fans like it (the fans that enjoy sacks and pressure). Can't hurt. If EJ is our QB, we're at least a year away from the playoffs (unless a miracle happens), why not give them a chance. Keep the same D and hope the chosen DC was in the head of pettine and soaked up enough knowledge of the system to run it.

Won't Pettine be taking all the assistants?

I'd give one of our assistants a shot for a year and see how it goes. Keep the scheme, the players like it. The fans like it (the fans that enjoy sacks and pressure). Can't hurt. If EJ is our QB, we're at least a year away from the playoffs (unless a miracle happens), why not give them a chance. Keep the same D and hope the chosen DC was in the head of pettine and soaked up enough knowledge of the system to run it.

Didn't Wade make Mario move to OLB in the one season he played in that defense. I thought Mario did not like that. Phillips requires a big wide bodied Nose Tackle to make his defense successful. We do not have a Mt.Washington on this roster.

Hire Wade and draft this guy

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124253&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT

You know what is awesome? In a thread about who the next DC might be, you managed to take a shot at Manuel, well done.

Wade would be great but I would be shocked if he returned. I do get the impression the Bills have someone in mind though

I never understood the love Fewell gets from this board

Fewell did win a SB with the Giants running that defense a couple of years ago.

If they are under contract no. IIRC a team can turn down a lateral move. If Pettine wanted a DC or OC (not Nat) he could poach those from the Bills.

I believe the Coordinators and Position coaches are considered at the same level. A position coach moving to a Coordinator role on another team is considered a lateral move.

Here is my DC shopping list (in order):

1. Wade. He has a history of turning bad defenses into good defenses in one season.
  2. After that I'd try to get a Seahawk assistant defensive coach. Similar style of D. Attacking and 4-3 anyway.
  3. After that I'd consider Singletary. Again, similar style of D.
  4. Pepper Johnson intrigues me.
  5. I'd go with Donnie Henderson or any other internal guy or college boy as way down on the list.
  6. I'm not real high on Fewell.

Edited by reddogblitz

Didn't Wade make Mario move to OLB in the one season he played in that defense. I thought Mario did not like that. Phillips requires a big wide bodied Nose Tackle to make his defense successful. We do not have a Mt.Washington on this roster.

Houston didn't have a big NT, Wade works with what he has

This

Hire Wade and draft this guy

http://www.nfldrafts...=2014&genpos=DT

love the size but this kid is inconsistent, I wouldn't draft him.

Justin Ellis 6'2" 350 LA Tech has looked solid at the senior bowl.

I am sure Pettine, Marrone and Whaley have already discussed who he would and would not like to take if he gets the job. But I looked up the rule a couple days ago and if the coaches are under contract and they are up for any kind of move other than HC with another team, the Bills don't need to grant permission for them to interview/go to new team. They can keep anyone they want. That said, they may have a plan to replace O'Neil , who was a guy Pettine brought with him, already. They need to weigh the decision of keeping a guy who would maybe rather stick with Pettine than stay with the Bills vs. bring in someone new. I think they would go with the latter.

If Pettine leaves, I guarantee that Henderson gets the job. He's very popular with the players and they won't have to change the playbook.

No doubt in my mind Henderson is our new defensive coordinator.

just based on how he coached up Leodis McKelvin makes him deserving of the job.

If Pettine leaves, I guarantee that Henderson gets the job. He's very popular with the players and they won't have to change the playbook.

No doubt in my mind Henderson is our new defensive coordinator.

You may not be giving it, but I just don't understand the love for Henderson. He's been a DC before and has crashed and burned. Not exactly an inspiring choice, but I suppose this is what we should expect. I guess we should be focusing on Marrone's past buddies too.

I would vote for Wade. A proven DC.

just based on how he coached up Leodis McKelvin makes him deserving of the job.

Yes, he seems to be a very good secondary coach. Fwiw, Stephon didn't exactly light it up though.