Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

Maybe the NFL needs to look at tighter rules on the whole coaching thing. We have the Rooney rule. Why not coaches can only be interviewed 3 times over no more then 6 business days? The team must rule out coaches after the three days from last interview and submit a secret list or something to the NFL on who they like and don't...

Just throwing it to the wall to see if it sticks. This could potentially hurt a lot of teams.

its not even 1am and Wawrow is tweeting? Shirley, he isn't even past his first drink yet!

Don't call him Shirley!

What bothers me the most about this is that you have 1 screwed up team that will screw other teams. This is just so late in the process it it can not only disrupt the Bills, but anotheer team or 2 of we go to pilfer their coaches. Not to mention, without a promotion being givinen, we will have to ask permission to take position coaches from other teams who have their staff's settled; of course they won't agree unless the guy is their Crossman...

Of course (full disclosure) if this was happening to the Pats, Jets, 'Phins, Cowboys or Redskins I would be laughing hysterically B-)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct, but I look at it a little differently. You usually only get one shot, not that you can hold out for the perfect position (if it was it wouldn't be open), but I would at least want to be on equal footing and not a late add after other turned it down. With what they did with Chud and trading Richardson took the wind out of that team...It wouldn't give me the best vibes. They would really have to upsell to me; it might be my only chance to be an HC ever again if the team makes it hard for me to succeed....

I get what you are saying, but on the other hand, there is no guarantee that he will ever get asked again. If you get your shot - take it and even if you fail you can say you gave it your all. Worst case is you are financially set for life.

Bottom line, he could get fired next season by this fickle bunch when the guy they "really want" comes available, or if they get a new GM who wants his own guy, or if he faces hard luck due to injury as Chud did this season when Hoyer went down. Pettine would be right to beware of this situation.

Contracts for coaches are guaranteed. Poor Chud, he's only going to get paid $10.5M for one year of work. Who on earth would ever want a HC job, huh? Maybe we should pass the hat around so he can pay his rent.

At at the end of it all, Chud's name didn't really get tarnished. If anything, it seems the consensus is that he didn't get a fair shot.

I get what you are saying, but on the other hand, there is no guarantee that he will ever get asked again. If you get your shot - take it and even if you fail you can say you gave it your all. Worst case is you are financially set for life.

Contracts for coaches are guaranteed. Poor Chud, he's only going to get paid $10.5M for one year of work. Who on earth would ever want a HC job, huh? Maybe we should pass the hat around so he can pay his rent.

At at the end of it all, Chud's name didn't really get tarnished. If anything, it seems the consensus is that he didn't get a fair shot.

You definitely bring up the reason(s) for taking the job and they are very valid points; hard to dismiss even. Coaches are competitors, they want to win, some even like being the under dog and trying to succeed in a bad situation - if you do; big fame, more money and a great accomplishment.

Browns do have the picks, a good D etc...

Then there is this -

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 3m

Mike Pettine is the clear favorite for the #Browns job heading into tomorrow. Josh McDaniels is not back in the mix.

On that note - Honestly I no longer freaking care....whatever

You act as though the objective is for the coaching gig to be some kind of golden parachute wherein the guy who gets the job makes a lot of money, and he should just be satisfied with that. The reality is that these are hyper-competitive people who want to win in the NFL. Do you think Chud would rather prove he can win with the Browns and taste the playoffs and continue to build his rep, or sit on the sidelines and hope that he can work up the ranks again? The likelihood is that he is not going to be a head coach again for at least two more years.

I think given what we know about why people wouldn't take the Bills job circa the Gailey hiring, that there is a palpable stink around the Browns franchise right now, and that's why guys like Gase, potentially Quinn and even a guy like McDaniels who has a couple strikes against him will keep coordinator positions with winning franchises and pass on the Browns job.

On that note - Honestly I no longer freaking care....whatever

I'm with you on that. Bring on the draft already.

You act as though the objective is for the coaching gig to be some kind of golden parachute wherein the guy who gets the job makes a lot of money, and he should just be satisfied with that. The reality is that these are hyper-competitive people who want to win in the NFL. Do you think Chud would rather prove he can win with the Browns and taste the playoffs and continue to build his rep, or sit on the sidelines and hope that he can work up the ranks again? The likelihood is that he is not going to be a head coach again for at least two more years.

I think given what we know about why people wouldn't take the Bills job circa the Gailey hiring, that there is a palpable stink around the Browns franchise right now, and that's why guys like Gase, potentially Quinn and even a guy like McDaniels who has a couple strikes against him will keep coordinator positions with winning franchises and pass on the Browns job.

I'm only dispelling the silly notion that Pettine should turn down a HC job. And of course Chud would rather win. The 3 guys you mentioned are coaching in the Super Bowl, and the other for the Pats. We have been a sub .500 team for a long time. I'd guess those 3 guys will be in the playoffs again next year, and are going to be more highly regarded than Pettine. Again, Pettine has no HC experience, no rings, and is on a 6-10 team, he can't pick and choose. If he gets a shot he better fight for it.

Edited by QCity

I don't understand why their looking for a defensive minded HC. Their defense is so far along in terms of talent, wouldn't it make more sense to bring in a coach who'll do more for the offensive side of the ball? Any joe schmoe can coach that defense and make it top 15, but it's going to take a lot of coaching to take this offense with a rookie QB and have it been even with the D.

So Joe Schmoe is definitely a candidate for our DC position when it becomes available. Has Joe ever coached at the NFL level, and is he related to Wannastache! Edited by snamsnoops

McDaniels and Gase are winning though. Pettine has been 6-10 in the shadows for two years now. He's been said to want to make his own legacy. Would Pettine want to be a successful DC in Buffalo, rising and falling with our HC and our OC? Or does he think he can do better as his own HC than Marrone will be. Its a tough question, but he won't be out of the league if he fails and he'll make enough money to not worry about much.

If I was him, it'd be an easy decision.

McDaniels and Gase are winning though. Pettine has been 6-10 in the shadows for two years now. He's been said to want to make his own legacy. Would Pettine want to be a successful DC in Buffalo, rising and falling with our HC and our OC? Or does he think he can do better as his own HC than Marrone will be. Its a tough question, but he won't be out of the league if he fails and he'll make enough money to not worry about much.

If I was him, it'd be an easy decision.

If I were him, I'd be very wary of my own arrogance and ask myself if this team gives me the best chance to succeed, or if the best were yet to come in Buffalo. If it's the latter, he could be passing up a chance to enter next offseason in the driver's seat. If they fail with a great defense, he's got just as good of a shot, because it'll be even clearer that what successes the Bills had were in large part due to Pettine's contributions.

If I were him, I'd be very wary of my own arrogance and ask myself if this team gives me the best chance to succeed, or if the best were yet to come in Buffalo. If it's the latter, he could be passing up a chance to enter next offseason in the driver's seat. If they fail with a great defense, he's got just as good of a shot, because it'll be even clearer that what successes the Bills had were in large part due to Pettine's contributions.

Are you trolling? Screw arrogance. He would get a contract worth over $10 million guaranteed. He'd be arrogant to NOT take the job.

What's so great in Cleveland?

It has one of only 32 NFL head coaching positions in his profession.

It has the only current opening.

It is very interested in him

He wants badly to be a head coach.

It's not better than being a DC in Buffalo

Just for starters Just stating the obvious!

Edited by snamsnoops

I don't think they're being that picky. Rumor is Paul Brown already turned them down.

That was a little bit of a miscommunication. He withdrew his name, but it wasn't for the coaching job..............He wants them to get rid of the name Browns.

Pettine had better set a deadline on these guys or he is starting to look the part of a fool. If he interviews three times and then patiently waits until after the SuperBowl to not get the job that is weak. He needs to force their hand.

I agree. At some point (I think it's today after his 3rd interview), Pettine needs to tell Browns, it's go or no go. You are right, he start to look desperate and plays the part of a fool, especially with these new rumors that Browns are talking to McDaniels again.

Pettine's resume has shown that he is deserving of a head coaching job for his on-the-field production. But the biggest driving factor behind him getting this job could be that he actually wants the job. Many believe that Pettine's interview process was just a practice run for future head coaching offers, but sources close to the coach claim that he wants the job "BADLY ". For a franchise that fired Chudzinkski, a rookie head coach, local homegrown hero and lifelong Browns fan himself only one year into the job, finding someone who actually wants the job may have proven to be more difficult than finding someone qualified.

http://factoryofsadn...ke_pettine.html

If Pettine does leave, who would replace him ? He would likely take some assistants with him.

Edited by ALF

I find it odd that a lot of people saying he can't pass argue in the same breath that he has to be confident enough to know he can overcome the stacked deck in Cleveland but insecure enough that he has to worry he will never get another chance.

Edited by NoSaint

So if I hear correctly, the Seattle D-coord is interested in the Browns and they are interested in him... right?!? That would be pretty short sighted of an organization to NOT hire a guy because of Super Bowl timing.

Pettine's resume has shown that he is deserving of a head coaching job for his on-the-field production. But the biggest driving factor behind him getting this job could be that he actually wants the job. Many believe that Pettine's interview process was just a practice run for future head coaching offers, but sources close to the coach claim that he wants the job "BADLY ". For a franchise that fired Chudzinkski, a rookie head coach, local homegrown hero and lifelong Browns fan himself only one year into the job, finding someone who actually wants the job may have proven to be more difficult than finding someone qualified.

http://factoryofsadn...ke_pettine.html

If Pettine does leave, who would replace him ? He would likely take some assistants with him.

As far as the taking assistants with him, if they are under contract, the Bills can prevent this, correct?

Conflicting reports.

In a sudden twist it is now being reported that he had a grapefruit

CBF

I can't stand this speculation. Is it bacon or grapefruit?? Do you have a link?? I actually heard Pettine won't know what he'll have for breakfast this morning until the end of the business day.

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 12m

#Browns spokesman tells http://cleveland.com that a decision has not been made yet on HC. May or may not come today.

In other news.... can we trade Tim Graham from the Buffalo News and a late-round beat reporter in 2015 to the Clowns for Mary Kay Cabot from the Cleveland Plain Dealer?

Edited by YoloinOhio

#Browns spokesman tells http://cleveland.com that a decision has not been made yet on HC. May or may not come today.

If I'm Mike Pettine it's time to move on! He has to be thinking that way. If they haven't hired him yet it is a bad sign. They are not sure, and are looking around and hoping for something else. I can't think of a situation like this that has worked out for a coach. Pettine needs to remember this is not the last job in the world. He needs to believe in the law of continuous opportunity. Withdraw, come back and have a good year, and learn from the experience.

I find it odd that a lot of people saying he can't pass argue in the same breath that he has to be confident enough to know he can overcome the stacked deck in Cleveland but insecure enough that he has to worry he will never get another chance.

Not exactly.

Im not saying he has to be confident. I'm saying he IS confident enough. That means he sees things a lot differently than fans and people from the outside.

It's really a no risk situation for him. Worst case scenario browns continue to be a disaster and it gets mostly blamed on the ownership.

In other news.... can we trade Tim Graham from the Buffalo News and a late-round beat reporter in 2015 to the Clowns for Mary Kay Cabot from the Cleveland Plain Dealer?

I occasioned to run across Mary Kay in my AP days...she's an outstanding correspondent and writer. Also a very good interviewer...we should be so lucky.

I occasioned to run across Mary Kay in my AP days...she's an outstanding correspondent and writer. Also a very good interviewer...we should be so lucky.

I know, I live in Columbus, we love her. TG on the other hand, I could do without.

Not exactly.

Im not saying he has to be confident. I'm saying he IS confident enough. That means he sees things a lot differently than fans and people from the outside.

It's really a no risk situation for him. Worst case scenario browns continue to be a disaster and it gets mostly blamed on the ownership.

Based on what I have heard, thew FO could be done next year and Haslam will get rid of Banner and Lombardi. Either way, I think the coach is looked at as a victim in this organization.

A late round pick? I'd be willing to combine the Herschel Walker and Ricky Williams trades for that upgrade.