Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

Nothing. It's not you, its them. For some reason they think that dumping a HC after not only his first year as the Bills HC, but his first year as a NFL HC in favor of a DC who has never been a HC and in his first year as a DC out of Rex Ryans shadow did no more than a good job. He had a bunch of talent to work with and still the Bills defense was pretty bad against the run. Idiotic in my opinion. I very much want him to stay on as DC and see what he can do. But the concept of firing Marrone and promoting Pettine out of fear is pure overreaction in my opinion.

I agree. It would be insane to fire Marrone after one season. The front office chose Marrone a year ago, and he has done nothing to show them that they made a mistake. You can't choose a first time head coach and then give him one year to prove himself. It's the equivalent of announcing "we have no idea what we're doing" from the front office.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. It would be insane to fire Marrone after one season. The front office chose Marrone a year ago, and he has done nothing to show them that they made a mistake. You can't choose a first time head coach and then give him one year to prove himself. It's the equivalent of announcing "we have no idea what we're doing" from the front office.

The Browns did exactly that. Now, they are in the midst of maybe repeating it.

It would be just our luck, we finally have a DC that most fans agree is very good and he gets 1 freakin HC interview in his career and gets the job because no one else wants it.

If nobody else wants it, what makes you think he wants it? Pettine may want to finish what he started in Buffalo and then go to a team that actually knows how to find talent. The Browns have been in the cellar a long time and have yet to show they know how to build a team. Pettine would be crazy to take this job. I think he knows that his best move would be a part of a Bills organization that goes to the next level and then make his move. I don't think he wants a HC job unless he thinks he has a chance to succeed. He needs to weigh his options and decide what his best move is. Personally, I think the Browns ain't it.

You do understand that the reason nobody wants to coach in Cleveland is because they had a knee jerk reaction and fired Chud after 1 year right?

What happens if Pettine shows that he's not a good HC and is more suited for being a coordinator? We try to fill our HC position and nobody wants to interview because of how we treated Marrone.

It's incredibly stupid but I expect nothing less from this fan base these days.

STUPID!?!?!

You do understand we have already been a revolving door for HC and players so bad its not going to get any worse and the only :censored: !@$# coach that has shown an ability to make improvements over the last decade is Mike Pettine!!!!!

One step forward and two steps back !!!!!!! :wallbash:

Edited by dog14787

It very well could have played out this way and you know it. Considering he passed the torch not too long after the draft, it's entirely possible they shared picks. One thing we do know though: Nix was hell-bent on drafting a QB before stepping down - he was quoted so numerous times.

Marrone is the head coach. The buck stops at him. No need to say more there.

As for Chan "salvaging" Fitz, I think he did a fairly good job polishing that turd.

I think Buddy was involved, don't get me wrong. But it just seems if the player is good, Whaley grabbed him. If he's bad, this was a Buddy draft. It changes week to week.

I think Buddy was involved, don't get me wrong. But it just seems if the player is good, Whaley grabbed him. If he's bad, this was a Buddy draft. It changes week to week.

I believe that Whaley is on record as saying that EJ was "his pick". Not everyone is convinced he is a bad pick, despite your constant crusade to convince everyone that he is. I know, you don't feel like you do that (that gave me a chuckle), but most knew that Manuel was going to be a project, but it appears Whaley and company are convinced his upside is worth the growing pains it is going to take.

Serious question... what have you seen from Mike Pettine that makes you think he is better HC material than Marrone? It is something that I, and all the other teams in the NFL who had HC openings this year (except for the 3 Stooges who are 0-1 in HC hires) are missing...

Indy let Arians "walk" because they had a 1st year HC. Do you really think they were going to fire Pagano and hire Arians? Not even Irsay is that ridiculous.

We have no idea what will happen between now and then. So right now, it makes no sense.

+1

Maybe.. I don't know enough about him other than I think he was outstanding this year for the Bills. However, NFL coaches move up and down in the ranks every year.

Agreed - perception of coaches does move up and down - and maybe not for good reason. Henderson has at least had some success in the NFL.

I guess I must be on an island (would not be the first time).... but what has Marrone done to consider firing him already? I don't get it.

I agree with you. I thought that Marrone took steps in the right direction with regard to team unity/culture and discipline. This team fought hard and never quit in any games - something that previous Bills teams didn't always do. I also like that he disciplined marcel Dareus, but didn't drag it into the media. He kept that as in-house as he could and Dareus didn't seem to complain about the benching.

Doug Marrone deserves credit for any progress the team made this season . Thats all I want to say about that.

If he loses Pettine , well then we shall see what he is made of won't we ?

He should be planning counter measures as we speak

Doug Marrone deserves credit for any progress the team made this season . Thats all I want to say about that.

If he loses Pettine , well then we shall see what he is made of won't we ?

He should be planning counter measures as we speak

Outside of what Pettine did on defense, what sort of progress are you talking about? Honest question.

I believe that Whaley is on record as saying that EJ was "his pick". Not everyone is convinced he is a bad pick, despite your constant crusade to convince everyone that he is. I know, you don't feel like you do that (that gave me a chuckle), but most knew that Manuel was going to be a project, but it appears Whaley and company are convinced his upside is worth the growing pains it is going to take.

I didn't say anything bad about Manuel, what are you even going on about? The guy I quoted even said Manuel was a panicked and bad pick by Buddy and I disagreed with him. I'm beginning to think you're crusading against me.

Rapoport reported Pettine is going for his second interview.

Edited by FireChan

Outside of what Pettine did on defense, what sort of progress are you talking about? Honest question.

He put Pettine in the position to succeed i would guess.

The boss should always get the credit or the debit.

Its the hierarchy thing .

If you can blame him you should also credit him.

i do understand your point though.

Edited by 3rdand12

Losing Pettine would be a BIG problem for the Bills. They were much improved on D and, unless there is a candidate already on staff to take over (and I don't see one), they would be forced likely into yet another scheme and likely another fully new defensive staff to be hired - after all the coaching candidates have been picked over by all the new staffs.

Can this franchise ever catch a break?