Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

always good when the owner takes hiring authority away from the general manager or CEO. seems functional. dont see why it would give anyone pause.

Absolutely!

Whooooop-Whooooop-Whoooop-Whooooop-Whooooop-Whooooop!

Nuck, Nuck, Nuck, Nuck!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haslam is taking his cues on how to run a football team from Jerry Jones. By pass all the football men you hired to run it so you can hire the coach. This really is going to go over well and has such a great chance to succeed. (SARCASM cue). What coach in his right mind would take this job? The neon sign of dysfunction is blazing over the Cleveland Browns headquarters.

Besides the RUN sucked last season and it still sucked this season. They tried to disguise the looks last season too. MOST of all - the Bills still didn't defeat the Putrids

Why was the Defense ranked better overall? TALENT both young and old!

Besides Kiko what was different about the talent on defense? Pettine was the biggest addition made to the defense last year, don't know how anyone doesn't understand that

The run defense is obviously still a problem but overall the defense was improved which is exactly what you want

If the Bills lose Pettine I wouldn't mind seeing them hire Horton who was with Cleveland last year and Arizona before that

Edited by Max997

I don't know. Why do they have to sell it to fans? But even if they feel they need to, I strongly suspect Cleveland fans are a lot like Buffalo fans. A great many support the team no matter what. Case in point, Gailey. The Bills had sucked for quite a while when Gailey was hired. There was no credible reason to think he would make a good head coach based on his past performance. Yet many Bills fans, even in here, were very excited that the Bills managed to pull off some sort of a coup and land him. Citing Jerrah's "worst mistake" firing him etc.

Many Browns fans would be excited to get Pettine much like Bills fans were with Gailey. And with Pettine there is at least SOME reason for excitement.

Bills fans were excited to get Gailey? I don't recall too much of that. Edited by Georgia Bill

Bills fans were excited to get Gailey? I don't recall too much of that.

Yeah, I don't remember that at all either...I think citing Jerry Jones "worst mistake I ever made" comment was the product of some fans (the ones who tend to try to search for the silver lining, rather than piss on everything) trying to desperately get excited about the Gailey hiring. I seem to recall it being a very unpopular decision...

always good when the owner takes hiring authority away from the general manager or CEO. seems functional. dont see why it would give anyone pause.

This confirms for me (if there was any doubt ) that haslam will be this teams undoing.

It tells me he doesn't trust Banner and Lombardi to pick a good coach/be able to convince a good coach to come to Cleveland. I've heard that Banner in particular turned a lot of candidates off both this time and last year. So my question is: Why didn't Haslam just clear him/them out, too?

Bills fans were excited to get Gailey? I don't recall too much of that.

You're kidding right? This forum was constantly gushing about how great it was to finally have a QB guru as a HC. Then after his 4-10 start so many fans were defending him by stating the first year is always a pass because he needs to evaluate his talent.

Kinda like they were about the Marrone hiring last year, and this new toy has already started to some shine.

You're kidding right? This forum was constantly gushing about how great it was to finally have a QB guru as a HC. Then after his 4-10 start so many fans were defending him by stating the first year is always a pass because he needs to evaluate his talent.

Kinda like they were about the Marrone hiring last year, and this new toy has already started to some shine.

He's not kidding. You can search the forums here for the main thread started when he was hired, and it was anything but a love fest.

Does anyone really think Pettine wouldn't take this job if it was offered to him? It can only help his career. Once you're a head coach, you're a HC candidate for life. Look at all the guys hired after going back to coordinators. Caldwell, Whisenhunt, even McDaniels has fielded offers. Lovie only took a year off and is back in the saddle.

Pettine would be crazy not to take the job if he can, because once you're in, you're in forever. If it doesn't work out? So what, he becomes a DC again, does well and gets another shot elsewhere. I doubt he wants the SB for the players and more for himself and his paycheck. Those dollar signs can make someone do anything.

Edited by FireChan

I dislike Mike Rodak. A lot.

Does the fact that Rodak is a New Englander have any reason why you dislike him? In my opinion I dislike Rodak because he offers zero insight into the actual game of football. Sure he will report play counts & arbitrary statistics, but is that the reason ESPN is paying him? If so why not hire a Chinese person to pull the box score?

That would be the ultimate turd in the punch bowl scenario if Pettine left Buffalo. Just when I thought we had a legitimate chance of improving our dismal playoff outlook. It figures just when I thought I was waking up from this 14 year nightmare, that Cleveland would be right there to poke me in the eyes.

It tells me he doesn't trust Banner and Lombardi to pick a good coach/be able to convince a good coach to come to Cleveland. I've heard that Banner in particular turned a lot of candidates off both this time and last year. So my question is: Why didn't Haslam just clear him/them out, too?

"Don't mind the CEO and GM - you won't have to work with them!"

It's ok, they have a good defense cap room and some extra picks - they are set up for clear success and all those coaches withdrawing their names are crazy.

What does worry me is when I said pettine had practically no shot this year, the only reason the door was cracked is sometimes there are crazy out of the ordinary situations and haslem/Cleveland is a complete wildcard. I still think their guy is in the playoffs, but if that falls through, or he wins Sunday or.... Who the heck knows what they will want, or what will be left to choose from? Pettine wasn't on any short lists, but were getting pretty deep into the list here.

Does anyone really think Pettine wouldn't take this job if it was offered to him? It can only help his career. Once you're a head coach, you're a HC candidate for life. Look at all the guys hired after going back to coordinators. Caldwell, Whisenhunt, even McDaniels has fielded offers. Lovie only took a year off and is back in the saddle.

Pettine would be crazy not to take the job if he can, because once you're in, you're in forever. If it doesn't work out? So what, he becomes a DC again, does well and gets another shot elsewhere. I doubt he wants the SB for the players and more for himself and his paycheck. Those dollar signs can make someone do anything.

Depends how disastrous it goes. 3 of those 4 reached the Super Bowl their last job.