Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gooooooo Seattle!

I'm going to trust that this assessment comes from the countless hours you've spent in the locker room and on the practice field with these guys, and is not a baseless assertion or a hunch based on stats and what you see on TV.

The best coach on staff could be the DBs coach. It could be the RBs coach. We don't have enough information here. Regardless, the point stands that keeping Pettine is important. But if you think keeping Pettine and essentially scrapping everyone loyal to Marrone would work -- and this is essentially what you'd have to do in this scenario -- that's bonkers.

Also, Pettine's results were the most impressive, but they have plenty of room for improvement including the abysmal and inconsistent run defense.

Seriously ?! . . . . you want to defend or take Marrone over Pettine if given a choice right now, with the information you have ? --- I hate when folks debate or argue with the reasoning that "we aren't in the locker room OR don't have all the information" --- that's crap --- open your eyes and watch what is happening --- you are the same guys that defended Jauron, Gailey,Mularkey and every other retread that this FO has hired and ultimately fired ---- unbelievable ---

All the reporters ran with info from the daughter's tweet that was then deleted. But it sounds like the Browns confirmed it because it was in an Plain Dealer article that they were "blown away" by Quinn and Pettine and bringing them both back.

I could be wrong, but, I doubt that Mort would make this report today based on a days old tweet by a daughter.

He put Pettine in the position to succeed i would guess.

The boss should always get the credit or the debit.

Its the hierarchy thing .

If you can blame him you should also credit him.

i do understand your point though.

I saw nothing but regression the 2nd half of the season. Besides the Miami win (which could've had more to do with their annual implosion rather than Bills dominance), I watched the Bills drop 3 games to teams with worse records (Atl, TB).

As for Pettine, it actually wouldn't surprise me to hear that his hire came down from above (ie. Whaley). It was an iuncharacteristic hire for Marrone, whose other 2 major hires (his other coordinators) were favors for his buddies and really haven't shined the way Pettine has.

Edited by kas23

I saw nothing but regression the 2nd half of the season. Besides the Miami win (which could've had more to do with their annual implosion rather than Bills dominance), I watched the Bills drop 3 games to teams with worse records (Atl, TB, Jax).

As for Pettine, it actually wouldn't surprise me to hear that his hire came down from above (ie. Whaley). It was an iuncharacteristic hire for Marrone, whose other 2 major hires (his other coordinators) were favors for his buddies and really haven't shined the way Pettine has.

I agree 100%. Sad but true. And let's not forget that Marrone has connections to Brandon.

I saw nothing but regression the 2nd half of the season. Besides the Miami win (which could've had more to do with their annual implosion rather than Bills dominance), I watched the Bills drop 3 games to teams with worse records (Atl, TB, Jax).

For the sake of accuracy, the Bills beat Jacksonville. Err Jacksonville beat themselves.

They didn't lose to Jax...

Seriously ?! . . . . you want to defend or take Marrone over Pettine if given a choice right now, with the information you have ? --- I hate when folks debate or argue with the reasoning that "we aren't in the locker room OR don't have all the information" --- that's crap --- open your eyes and watch what is happening --- you are the same guys that defended Jauron, Gailey,Mularkey and every other retread that this FO has hired and ultimately fired ---- unbelievable ---

In defense of the Marrone supporter, Pettine's defense, while being the only bright spot of the season, needs to improve for the Bills to be competitive. Not only was the run defense suspect, we had to watch our secondary get absolutely torched by mediocre QBs. Plus, on D we gave up way too many points. With the completely inept offense we had, we needed to limit the opponent's scoring and we couldn't. Come to think of it, if Pettine leaves, I would be begging Wade to come back. Now those were great defenses.

They didn't lose to Jax...

Yep. Doesn't change my point though.

In defense of the Marrone supporter, Pettine's defense, while being the only bright spot of the season, needs to improve for the Bills to be competitive. Not only was the run defense suspect, we had to watch our secondary get absolutely torched by mediocre QBs. Plus, on D we gave up way too many points. With the completely inept offense we had, we needed to limit the opponent's scoring and we couldn't. Come to think of it, if Pettine leaves, I would be begging Wade to come back. Now those were great defenses.

?? --- Take a step back and analyze the team's performance overall --- what were strengths / weaknesses --- where did players improve or regress ---- if you do that --- On DEFENSE: agree, torched by the big play, struggled to get off the field on 3rd down --- BUT, saw huge improvement in pass defense (sorry, look at the stats); pass rush and turnovers --- we saw huge individual improvement from Hughes, Lawson, McKelvin, A Williams and Dareus ---- solid years from Kyle and Mario, Byrd --- on OFFENSE: please insert the positives ? --- O-line regressed from last year; Spiller regressed --- F Jack had v good year --- I saw neutral change with Stevie and Chandler --- on SPECIAL TEAMS: (see Crossman thread --- so, when you summarize the team -- the lone bright spot vs. last couple years is the DEFENSE --- let me ask all the Marrone lovers --- besides hiring Pettine, what has he done that is so remarkable ? --- do you want the guy that hired the genius or the genius -- I'm just saying !!

?? --- Take a step back and analyze the team's performance overall --- what were strengths / weaknesses --- where did players improve or regress ---- if you do that --- On DEFENSE: agree, torched by the big play, struggled to get off the field on 3rd down --- BUT, saw huge improvement in pass defense (sorry, look at the stats); pass rush and turnovers --- we saw huge individual improvement from Hughes, Lawson, McKelvin, A Williams and Dareus ---- solid years from Kyle and Mario, Byrd --- on OFFENSE: please insert the positives ? --- O-line regressed from last year; Spiller regressed --- F Jack had v good year --- I saw neutral change with Stevie and Chandler --- on SPECIAL TEAMS: (see Crossman thread --- so, when you summarize the team -- the lone bright spot vs. last couple years is the DEFENSE --- let me ask all the Marrone lovers --- besides hiring Pettine, what has he done that is so remarkable ? --- do you want the guy that hired the genius or the genius -- I'm just saying !!

Nice of Pettine's agent to stop by TBD. Be sure to get him more than a 1-year contract in the factory of sadness, k?

For the sake of accuracy, the Bills beat Jacksonville. Err Jacksonville beat themselves.

:rolleyes:

All the reporters ran with info from the daughter's tweet that was then deleted. But it sounds like the Browns confirmed it because it was in an Plain Dealer article that they were "blown away" by Quinn and Pettine and bringing them both back.

Ha! Blown away. Maybe they should interview Mularkey too, he's supposedly a great interviewer too.

BTW - Schefter said on NFL Countdown that Adam Gase is actually open to listening to the Browns, but they would need to really sell him on the opportunity. It was previously reported that he was not going to leave Denver this year no matter what. Peyton is great friends with Jimmy Rebate and may have convinced him he would be good to work for.