Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

I'd rather talk about the Bills in the post season. But alas, I don't really remember what it feels like anymore.

I'd guess it may feel like sex. At the end you're satisfied but the other is not and goes home feeling it was too early

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides Kiko what was different about the talent on defense? Pettine was the biggest addition made to the defense last year, don't know how anyone doesn't understand that

The run defense is obviously still a problem but overall the defense was improved which is exactly what you want

If the Bills lose Pettine I wouldn't mind seeing them hire Horton who was with Cleveland last year and Arizona before that

I don't have a lot of time for detail.

Nickell Robey - +1

Jerry Hughes - HUGE trade / pickup

Manny Lawson - very good trade / pickup

New (sort of) - Super Mario healthy all season, BIG +1

Was the emergence of Aaron Williams on Pettine?

Was the return of Jim Leonhard on Pettine?

Was the signing of Dan Carpenter on Pettine?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I'm with you on everything, but comments on Manziel -- he is a Top 10 prospect --- full disclosure: I am a Baylor/TCU fan, not Aggie --- but Manziel is a legit NFL franchise QB prospect and Top 10 on almost EVERY board or mock ---

He is on top of the mock drafts because he is a QB and those teams need QBs. He is not in the top 10 prospects (the big board) of Kiper or McShay, which ranks the talent in the draft without factoring in team position or need. So it would be a reach to take him at 4... and an even bigger reach to trade up to 2! Not as bad as taking a 29-yr old QB in the 1st round just 2 drafts ago.... but still... so I don't know if they are going to really do this or if it is just posturing to try to get someone to trade above them and take him so they can take someone else... who knows. I don't know how they can say they have their minds made up when they haven't even picked a coach yet and he should have a huge say in who their QB is going to be... but would not surprise me.

Nothing of the sort has been said or determined by the Browns. I do not expect them to re-sign Mack, but expect Ward to be signed. Still, nobody in the organization has publicly said they won't.

Thomas may have had a slightly off year for him, but he was still an exceptional LT by general standards.

Incidentally, word is that the field in Cleveland has narrowed to 3 including Pettine. Gase and Quinn being the others.

Huge mistake not to sign Mack, if indeed they are going to draft a QB (not sure why they wouldn't). It is very important to have an experienced, strong Center with a young QB who can call the plays and help the QB identify blitzes. They would be better off keeping Mack who said he wants to be there and not Ward, if they indeed need to choose. It was an excellent move by the Bills to extend Wood (heh heh) for this reason. Edited by YoloinOhio

The top 3 threads on this board today focus on:

A super bowl bound CB from another team being a thug

Another team possibly getting a coordinator from our team and bashing said other team and town

And celebrating a former Bills player now out of the playoffs after having competed in the championship game.

Just more of the same being a bills fan I guess.

You're giving Marshawn a pass then?

roFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 2h

Report: 49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula could become Cleveland candidate http://wp.me/p14QSB-9osp

Well.. he's not in Cleveland today anyway (or maybe he is meeting with Browns in Mobile):

John Murphy@JohnMurphyShow 9m

Big crowd at 1st #SeniorBowl practice. #Bills scouts and some coaches (including Pettine) on sidelines. pic.twitter.com/yMKhm51uux

Edited by YoloinOhio

roFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 2h

Report: 49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula could become Cleveland candidate http://wp.me/p14QSB-9osp

Well.. he's not in Cleveland today anyway (or maybe he is meeting with Browns in Mobile):

John Murphy@JohnMurphyShow 9m

Big crowd at 1st #SeniorBowl practice. #Bills scouts and some coaches (including Pettine) on sidelines. pic.twitter.com/yMKhm51uux

Glad to hear he's still participating in Bills activities. Hopefully that's a sign that he's staying put.

Huge mistake not to sign Mack, if indeed they are going to draft a QB (not sure why they wouldn't). It is very important to have an experienced, strong Center with a young QB who can call the plays and help the QB identify blitzes. They would be better off keeping Mack who said he wants to be there and not Ward, if they indeed need to choose. It was an excellent move by the Bills to extend Wood (heh heh) for this reason.

I agree, but that's how it looks to be playing out. Mack doesn't look like he wants to stay in Cleveland and Banner doesn't look like he's going to shell out the cash to even make it interesting. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Ward looks more amenable to staying and it looks like he will be re-signed or tagged.

I agree, but that's how it looks to be playing out. Mack doesn't look like he wants to stay in Cleveland and Banner doesn't look like he's going to shell out the cash to even make it interesting. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Ward looks more amenable to staying and it looks like he will be re-signed or tagged.

I thought I read he really wanted to stay .... I think they should pay him too.

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 8m

Marrone on Pettine situation http://wp.me/plmrg-9yd

Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine remains in contention for the vacant Cleveland Browns head coaching vacancy after interviewing with the AFC North club last week. There are reports he will interview a second time with Cleveland. Bills head coach Doug Marrone commented on how the situation may impact his team if things work out for Pettine in Cleveland.

“Obviously Mike has done a great job even prior to coming to Buffalo and obviously did a great job for us this year,” Marrone told Buffalobills.com. “We’re in a profession where people are going to recognize that. We’re very happy for Mike.”

“Obviously he’s in a process that Cleveland controls right now. They’re getting ready to make decisions and we’re there to support Mike and help him and if it goes well and he has the opportunity to go then Doug (Whaley), myself and Russ (Brandon) have already met and we’re ready to do what we have to do for our organization.”

Edited by YoloinOhio

Glad to hear he's still participating in Bills activities. Hopefully that's a sign that he's staying put.

i wouldnt say too much either way. hes still a bills employee today is really all it definitively says.

that aside though, its yet another reason im surprised the browns want to let this drag on until the first week of february potentially. theres real work to be done right now, and the coaching offices are empty.

i wouldnt say too much either way. hes still a bills employee today is really all it definitively says.

that aside though, its yet another reason im surprised the browns want to let this drag on until the first week of february potentially. theres real work to be done right now, and the coaching offices are empty.

Yep

I thought I read he really wanted to stay .... I think they should pay him too.

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 8m

Marrone on Pettine situation http://wp.me/plmrg-9yd

Marrone told Buffalobills.com. “We’re in a profession where people are going to recognize that. We’re very happy for Mike.”

“Obviously he’s in a process that Cleveland controls right now. They’re getting ready to make decisions and we’re there to support Mike and help him and if it goes well and he has the opportunity to go then Doug (Whaley), myself and Russ (Brandon) have already met and we’re ready to do what we have to do for our organization.”

I do not want Pettine to leave at all. Personally i think he is the only NFL caliber coach on the staff.

But if he does leave it will be interesting to re-visit this statement from Marrone to see who is brought in or promoted.

Not necessarily, if they chose Pettine, he was in attendance at the Senior Bowl, except he is there on the Bills dime and not the Browns. I'm sure the Browns also have some employees down there too that can take notes for them for the new staff thats hired

Not necessarily, if they chose Pettine, he was in attendance at the Senior Bowl, except he is there on the Bills dime and not the Browns. I'm sure the Browns also have some employees down there too that can take notes for them for the new staff thats hired

are all the candidates filling out their staffs, evaluating the browns roster, putting together schemes and directing the browns scouting personnel on what they want out of players? are they working with the GM to identify which pending FAs might be vital to their success or expendable based on what they want to do? yea, pettine was at the senior bowl.... but is he looking hard at the QBs or is he evaluating his guys? are the players holding their new playbooks in hand yet? the browns head coach, and coordinators offices are still empty and the ship is a bit without rudder currently. we are already at the senior bowl, and in february after the superbowl it will be less than 3 weeks til the combine. its not the end of the world, but its not good for the browns.

Edited by NoSaint

The top 3 threads on this board today focus on:

A super bowl bound CB from another team being a thug

Another team possibly getting a coordinator from our team and bashing said other team and town

And celebrating a former Bills player now out of the playoffs after having competed in the championship game.

Just more of the same being a bills fan I guess.

I know, I had not been on this thread since page 3. Now 32??? WTH

are all the candidates filling out their staffs, evaluating the browns roster, putting together schemes and directing the browns scouting personnel on what they want out of players? are they working with the GM to identify which pending FAs might be vital to their success or expendable based on what they want to do? yea, pettine was at the senior bowl.... but is he looking hard at the QBs or is he evaluating his guys? are the players holding their new playbooks in hand yet? the browns head coach, and coordinators offices are still empty and the ship is a bit without rudder currently. we are already at the senior bowl, and in february after the superbowl it will be less than 3 weeks til the combine. its not the end of the world, but its not good for the browns.

In many organizations scouting and player personnel decisions are made by the GM and scouts. The coaches have input, but nothing close to final say.

In many organizations scouting and player personnel decisions are made by the GM and scouts. The coaches have input, but nothing close to final say.

Are they scouting for a 34 or 43 defense? Does their qb need to be mobile? Big possession receivers at a premium or speedy guys? Zone or man corners? Without a coaching staff they don't really have a refined criteria was my point.

There are a lot of players out there and even if he's not picking them personally their head coach should have a lot of say in working with the GM to define what it means to be a brown. It just doesn't seem efficient to say "find out anything about everybody and we will sort it out later (and in a shorter window than everyone else)"

Getting the right guy is #1 but every day that guys job is getting harder.