Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

Not really

The only disadvantage that the browns have right now is that the longer they wait, the smaller the list gets of potential assistants and choices for co-ordinators available to them as the rest of the teams fill their staffs and make choices.

and yet, every other team has a full staff doing it, right now - today. weve even heard superbowl teams comment that its hard to miss the first month of the offseason prep, and they have obviously successful systems in place. yet here the browns are with no head coach, no coordinators, no playbook, no schemes and two of their top guys still prepping for the super bowl which i imagine is widely their priorities today. it might not be as large a disadvantage, but to say its not a disadvantage at all is in my opinion simply not true.

The comments are gold. My favorite, and pretty much sums up what every Browns fan here says daily:

Josh F'ing McDaniels turns you down. Your star player is one bong hit away from being banned for a year. You're actually acting as if Norv Turner's leaving is a loss- because it is. You 1st Round QB of the future is over 30 & he was the better of your two 1st Rd picks that year. Your owner is looking at doing prison time for fraud. Greg Schiano is looking mighty attractive right now.

The NFL promised Cleveland a new NFL team after Modell fled to Baltimore almost 20 years ago. When are they going to deliver on that promise?

i nearly copied that same comment.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and yet, every other team has a full staff doing it, right now - today. weve even heard superbowl teams comment that its hard to miss the first month of the offseason prep, and they have obviously successful systems in place. yet here the browns are with no head coach, no coordinators, no playbook, no schemes and two of their top guys still prepping for the super bowl which i imagine is widely their priorities today. it might not be as large a disadvantage, but to say its not a disadvantage at all is in my opinion simply not true.

i nearly copied that same comment.

What team has a playbook ready for their 2014 season? What players have been given this playbook to study or look at right now?

Besides going out an attending the Senior Bowl, what have any other coaches or front offices done to prep for next season as of right now? The Browns still have employees and scouts who are out watching and scouting guys (and as I said previously, they have access to scouting reports and videos even if they didn't attend the actual event). And if they are interested in someone like Pettine, he has personally attended the Senior Bowl practices and taken a look first hand at the guys there. You really think he has only focused on just defensive players and knows nothing about the guys on offence? Especially if he knows he has a good shot of getting the HC spot for the Browns?

of course it would be better for the Browns to have had the spot filled already, but its not like they are going to be years behind because they don't have a coach in place before the Super Bowl is over. My argument was only over the fact that Pettine was in attendance for the Senior Bowl with the Bills, if he gets the Browns job then their new Head Coach isn't really behind because he has attended that event, just with a different team

What team has a playbook ready for their 2014 season? What players have been given this playbook to study or look at right now?

Besides going out an attending the Senior Bowl, what have any other coaches or front offices done to prep for next season as of right now? The Browns still have employees and scouts who are out watching and scouting guys (and as I said previously, they have access to scouting reports and videos even if they didn't attend the actual event). And if they are interested in someone like Pettine, he has personally attended the Senior Bowl practices and taken a look first hand at the guys there. You really think he has only focused on just defensive players and knows nothing about the guys on offence? Especially if he knows he has a good shot of getting the HC spot for the Browns?

of course it would be better for the Browns to have had the spot filled already, but its not like they are going to be years behind because they don't have a coach in place before the Super Bowl is over. My argument was only over the fact that Pettine was in attendance for the Senior Bowl with the Bills, if he gets the Browns job then their new Head Coach isn't really behind because he has attended that event, just with a different team

Seriously?

Edit - their "GM" Lombardi isn't even there. And no, that is not normal.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Seriously?

i think thats where AP and I are really diverging right now. would somebody be able to walk in february 3rd/4th and have a team ready for the season? sure. would they be at a disadvantage being a full month behind a lot of the league? certainly.

i think thats where AP and I are really diverging right now. would somebody be able to walk in february 3rd/4th and have a team ready for the season? sure. would they be at a disadvantage being a full month behind a lot of the league? certainly.

Exactly. Personnel-wise, they have been preparing for this season's draft since the last draft completed. This is why, typically, constant coaching changes are detrimental. You need to use the draft to your fullest advantage, down to the last round and into UDFAs. Good teams tend to build through the draft and only strategically add FAs from other teams because they are coming from systems and it is hard to determine whether they will perform the same way in yours. If you sign a FA, you didn't have the advantage of all the intricate background work you can do in the draft. When you are changing systems all the time, you can't build your personnel to fit the system. It is, actually, so detailed, those who don't work in the NFL would never completely understand. Therefore, I don't fully understand either, but as I've said I have a relative who has worked in an NFL FO since 1995. It is unreal how much they prepare day in and day out and without a coaching staff in place this far into the offseason it will set them back quite a bit. Especially because they don't have a QB to build around yet either. Edited by YoloinOhio

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 1m

A Browns official said this morning CLEV will not wait around to hire Broncos OC Adam Gase. @RapSheet says Gase withdrawing his name.

Mike Klis@MikeKlis 18m

Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase called Browns today to say he is withdrawing as HC candidate to concentrate on Super Bowl.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Good coaches move around ALL the time. They often leave the good teams for a better position at a mediocre team and yet the "good" team still stays strong. Pettine leaving won't undo the Bills. I don't think people need to freak out about this. It stinks while a new coach gets up to speed but Marrone already stated he will find someone to use a similar scheme if Pettine leaves. They won't stop being aggressive.

Good coaches move around ALL the time. They often leave the good teams for a better position at a mediocre team and yet the "good" team still stays strong. Pettine leaving won't undo the Bills. I don't think people need to freak out about this. It stinks while a new coach gets up to speed but Marrone already stated he will find someone to use a similar scheme if Pettine leaves. They won't stop being aggressive.

I agree... for the good teams, they lose coordinators all the time and keep winning. Are the Bills like that? No idea, but it could be that Marrone promotes someone who knows the system, i.e. Henderson, and they hire some new guys who buy into the same system...

BEAU BISHOP@BeauBishop 15m

The NFL is culpable here as well, it was an arranged marriage between Haslam & Lerner and Haslam & Banner. #NFLHatesCleveland?

FWIW the Bills twitter account RT'd the info about Gase withdrawing.... trying to prepare us for the inevitable? I have the feeling it is coming down this week and it is not what we want. :(

Just did some research: From what I can tell, the Bills do not need to allow any of the position coaches on the current defensive staff to go to Cleveland if they are under contract. They may have even told Pettine that if he takes the HC job, they will not allow Henderson, et al to go with him. Even if it would be for a promotion. They may choose to promote one of them to DC of the Bills to keep them happy, but they would not have to do so.

You know what kills me about this? Due to the Browns' own ineptitude, they will luck into getting Pettine (the last man standing)--who will end up being a great HC.

Haslem, et al. will be hailed as geniuses in 2 years, while we are looking for Marrone's replacement.

I am going to save this post, and re-post it in 2016.

You know what kills me about this? Due to the Browns' own ineptitude, they will luck into getting Pettine (the last man standing)--who will end up being a great HC.

Haslem, et al. will be hailed as geniuses in 2 years, while we are looking for Marrone's replacement.

I am going to save this post, and re-post it in 2016.

Seems like a safe bet now in the winter doldrums of despondency.

You can't really blame Pettine. It's a shot at a HC gig, there is a lot of talent on that team, and you get a nice payday so that your financial future is secure pretty much no matter what. It also raises your profile for other gigs in the future.

I think Pettine would be very successful there. All the Bills can offer him is a DC gig, so if someone else will offer him a promotion you really can't hate the guy for it. I would like to see the Bills grab Pepper Johnson now that the Patriots* canned him, even as an assistant on D.

ha! Three of us were typing about Pepper at the same time!

Edited by TheFunPolice

Dustin Fox (in the Cleveland media now) is being interviewed right now on the radio... he is covering the Senior Bowl and said he talked to Pettine last night for 15 minutes and that Pettine is very interested and said he would love to be the HC of the Browns.

Well if they offer Pettine the job so be it. But you have to ask yourself if leaving Buffalo for Cleveland is an upgrade??