Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this is just a way to keep him on the hook as a fallback, as they wait for gase and Quinn.

If I am pettine, I consider just withdrawing, like McDaniel did.

Today didn't go well for us as bills fans with both Seattle and Denver advancing putting the other options 2 weeks out. I still think pettines a long shot but if things were to fall into place for him, the things needed are happening.

2 questions if Pettine walks. How many of the other asst coaches does he take with him? Does Marrone have anyone on standby to become the new DC? Tough for him to rebuild his defense staff entering his second season. Losing Pettine would hurt but the defense was still awful against the run, gave up huge plays and made average QBs and RBs look great. Hope he stays so he can finish rebuilding he defense. It is a major work in progress.

2 questions if Pettine walks. How many of the other asst coaches does he take with him? Does Marrone have anyone on standby to become the new DC? Tough for him to rebuild his defense staff entering his second season. Losing Pettine would hurt but the defense was still awful against the run, gave up huge plays and made average QBs and RBs look great. Hope he stays so he can finish rebuilding he defense. It is a major work in progress.

I'd lay odds that Donnie Henderson becomes our new DC. It's been said already and I agree, I think Pettine would take O'Neil and make him his DC. Henderson has a LOT of experience in Pettine's scheme going back to his days in Baltimore. But more importantly, he's got a defense with some key veterans that have had a year in the system.

GO BILLS!!!

It's pretty clear to me that Pettine is the fall back option for Cle if choice one and two do not pan out. My definition of being, " Blown Away" by a candidate is that you clear the decks and prepare an offer within a few days. It's the rival candidates that are, "blown away" so to speak.

I just want to make sure we keep that DB coach.

“The Browns are committed to interview Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase and Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn,”

Can these two guys interview in the next few days? I thought the NFL had changed things so that they can.

Trying to pick ones way through the various reports it would appear that the Browns still want to interview Gase but fear that he is committed to staying another year in Denver (who knows whether this is or isn't linked to Peyton's possible retirement plans?). So if not Gase they seem to have narrowed down to two back up plans..... Dan Quinn and Mike Pettine and they want to interview both a second time. That would suggest that even though the Seahawks are in the play-offs Quinn has interviewed once. Presumably he could interview a second time this week? My feeling is if it's Pettine he will be gone within the week... if this drags on ino next week I think the chances are they have agreed something with Quinn but don't want it to leak out before the Superbowl.

If Pettine goes then I think Marrone would be wise to promote Donnie Henderson. He did a great job with the DBs this year and presumably would run a scheme that is at least very similar if not exactly the same. Any external DC's that are good enough to come in are probably off the market by now anyway. I've felt all along that Pettine would interview somewhere this year and then get his shot next year... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that is still the outcome.

If I was Houston, a veteran team with a lot of players that do need or will soon need replacing, I'd be quite willing to do that trade with Cleveland..... my first rounder for their two firsts and their second. Unless they have absolutely fallen in love with Bridgewater or Manziel themselves.... but I certainly haven't personally.

Edited by GunnerBill

On NFL network, Ian Rap. says Cleveland wants to trade up for Manziel.

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/ian-rapoport-confirms-browns-strong-interest-johnny-manziel/

I'm sure, if accurate, this could be part of the reluctance from some candidates - he's a risky guy to tie your career to, and if the front office is actually strong in this opinion before they even have a head coach picked its give me pause as a candidate about how much control I'd have over my roster and locker room.

That all said, it's very possibly (probably) idle chatter (although I'm not sure I want to project Cleveland's future decisions with any confidence)