Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

Why WOULDN'T Marrone be paid among the lowest in the league? He didn't come from a major college program, had never been an NFL HC before so other than having his name circling as a moderately hot commodity, why would he command even a middle tier HC's salary?

My post was wrt the suggestion that the Bills hire Wade. My premise was that Marrone had few credentials (imo) other than being buddies with Brandon. Of course he doesn't deserve a huge salary!

Why would anyone think that the Bills would pay big bucks to Wade when they don't even want to hire an expensive head coach?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My post was wrt the suggestion that the Bills hire Wade. My premise was that Marrone had few credentials (imo) other than being buddies with Brandon. Of course he doesn't deserve a huge salary!

Why would anyone think that the Bills would pay big bucks to Wade when they don't even want to hire an expensive head coach?

I don't know Bill...You could be right...But I was always under the assumption that the Bills were open to paying the big bucks, but the big names were not open to the Bills...So this time around (with Marrone) they did not even attempt to go after any big names because they knew what the answer would be... B-)

Really? I'd think it was right after Donahoe and Mularky that it was at its worst.

Yeah, that's when the toxicity started. It just became more on the radar or got more attention after they started looking at "higher end" applicants like Cowher after Jauron got fired. But they couldn't land some assistants either that year for an interview.

man. Has there ever been an NFL hc position so toxic?

Yes. With your own favorite team.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

He's not kidding. You can search the forums here for the main thread started when he was hired, and it was anything but a love fest.

pretty interesting to review. yes, the reaction was decidedly negative. but a comment was made that at the time of gailey's hiring, the bills had the least talent in the league. someone disagreed and when pressed for teams with less talent (really, only in a bills forum does this get asked) seattle is mentioned. and the other dude agrees! so they get lynch and two nfc championship games and we get less than 20 wins in the subsequent time. it really is like the bills are seriously trying to be bad. i guess it helps a bit to know that cleveland is almost as inept.

The next browns headcoach has a lot better opportunity for success IMO than the mess Gailey enherited.

Again, the issues with the Browns are not the players. Well, except that they have no QB, a WR they just signed to a big contract apparently without doing a simple background check who is in the middle of mental breakdown, and no running game because despite having 2 out of 5 players on their OL voted to the Pro Bowl they can't figure out how to run block. But the bigger issue is the FO and ownership.

Does anyone really think Pettine wouldn't take this job if it was offered to him? It can only help his career. Once you're a head coach, you're a HC candidate for life. Look at all the guys hired after going back to coordinators. Caldwell, Whisenhunt, even McDaniels has fielded offers. Lovie only took a year off and is back in the saddle.

Pettine would be crazy not to take the job if he can, because once you're in, you're in forever. If it doesn't work out? So what, he becomes a DC again, does well and gets another shot elsewhere. I doubt he wants the SB for the players and more for himself and his paycheck. Those dollar signs can make someone do anything.

I wouldn't blame him if he did. But I can think if 3 guys just recently who withdrew and apparently they didn't think it could help their careers. First McDaniels. And he is FROM Cleveland, his wife his from Cleveland, and his family is still in NE Ohio. Then there was McAdoo (who?) and Bowles who said no thanks after interviewing. McAdoo took an OC job with the NYG over a HC job with the Browns. Yikes.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/two_more_cleveland_browns_head.html

Edited by YoloinOhio

Step 1: Hire Pettine as HC/DC

Step2: Hire Gailey as OC.

Step 3: Draft Johnny Football.

Step 4: Win

This would be the dream scenario. Best post I've seen in a while. Even if we couldn't get Johnny, Chan would make EJ look adequate until we could draft a legit qb.

This would be the dream scenario. Best post I've seen in a while. Even if we couldn't get Johnny, Chan would make EJ look adequate until we could draft a legit qb.

I thought that was a scenario for the Browns?

Well...It's starting to look like no one wants that job...I don't see Pettine being the kind of guy who will back down from a real challenge, so he may just be the last man standing before it's all said and done...Great... <_<

Greg Roman and Dan Quinn both are much better candidates (IMO) than Pettine, they just haven't been able to interview yet. The word here is that Quinn is very interested in the job. Seattle D> Buffalo D. And from a winning team built to sustain a non-explosive offensive output, which is pretty much what the Browns need. Roman is a very hot name from last year as well...he went to John Carroll and is a guy I think fans would love because he is an Offensive coach and the Browns supposedly have Jim Schwartz on the warmer as the DC until they can get the new HC's blessing to hire him. This would be a good scenario for the Browns, especially because it sounds like they are very high on Manziel. Roman has worked with Kapernick who has a similar style to Manziel in terms of utilizing his ability to beat you with his legs. Browns also have a very good TE and a dynamic WR which Roman would utilize well with his background. I don't think Gase will leave Denver for this particular job because Tom Heckert is now in Denver.... and I am sure he talked to him about his horrible experience with the Browns. Edited by YoloinOhio

Step 1: Hire Pettine as HC/DC

Step2: Hire Gailey as OC.

Step 3: Draft Johnny Football.

Step 4: Win

Yes, this is a Bills fan's wet dream. Interestingly, it could probably be had sans Johnny Football, and I'm not sure we even need him. One could argue Chan could even salvage EJ, as he certainly would do with Spiller. But, this is the Bills. Obvious solutions are not that obvious to them (Ralph, Russ).

And, sadly, we could probably had this combination too, but the FO garbage picked with Marrone (of all the college coaches, we picked the leader of Syracuse!?) and "I promise to pick a QB before I leave" Nix panicked and picked EJ.

Heck, why we didn't target Pettine as our HC instead is beyond me. But, read it now and believe me later, this team will swiftly become a train wreck if Pettine leaves.