Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

If we don't hear anything on this over the next 24 hours, I am thinking Pettine's window will have closed.

Not necessarily, as I would think it really so much depends on the interview itself. Should Pettine kill it in his interview on exactly how he plans to build a championship team. If Gase and others leave with a lesser plan then Pettine would get the job.

Plus, you would have to think the man isn't exactly happy about his longtime friend being the scapegoat for this years #28 run defense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the current Bills DT's scheme designed to be more of penetrating types rather then run stuffers. Isn't it the D line that is supposed to control the gaps and stop the run?

The LBer coach had the defensive rookie of the year, and the 3rd leading tackler in the NFL. Yet Marrone keeps his bud who clearly stunk it up.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bizarro search: If I didn’t know better I’d swear the Browns’ coaching search has been taken out of the hands of CEO Joe Banner and placed in control of one of those headhunter firms.

Mike Munchak? Mike Pettine? Rich Bisaccia? Could Perry Fewell be next?

These men, fine coaches in their respective specialties, certainly don’t fit Banner’s prototype of young, out-of-the-box, offensive-minded, up-and-comers.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=27661

this couldn't go in the Pettine to Cleveland thread?

Besides the RUN sucked last season and it still sucked this season. They tried to disguise the looks last season too. MOST of all - the Bills still didn't defeat the Putrids

Why was the Defense ranked better overall? TALENT both young and old!

Imagine Byrd in the Browns secondary with Hayden & Gipson, could be tough to throw on.

Couple that with Clowney, and possibly another weapon thanks to the Colts pick and the Browns could be the surprise team of 2014.

Don't we get to play the Browns thanks to our 4th place finish?

I would be shocked if Cleveland offered the job to Pettine given the circumstances of the Browns current situation. The most likely scenario is an NFL team wouldn't hire a DC with just 1 season of experience away from his mentor. The wildcard here is that we're talking about an owner and front office that appears dysfunctional so maybe they buck the odds..

I really liked what Perry Fewell did here as an interim guy, and I really think he will one day make an excellent HC. Hiring Gailey over him seems silly in hindsight.

He may be somewhat of a token interview now, but I would bet having worked for several years under a certain HOF coach like Coughlin has only made him even more prepared for his next (real) chance.

He injected some life into a Dick Jauron-captained Costa Concordia. I will be rooting for him.

If Pettine takes that job he is a fool in my opinion. Being a HC is great but you might only get one chance at that opportunity in the NFL before you are kicked back to Coordinator or position coach status if you get fired. YOu really need to consider the opportunity presented to you.

the browns situation is shakey. They kicked Chud to the curb after only one year. The circumstances of that is unclear. You could be walking into a hornets nest. There is a reason why a number of coaches are withdrawning from the running.

Pettine could just be practicing the interview for better opportunites in the future. If i were him I would wait another year or two and build up this defense and then wait for a more stable situation.

If pettine leaves who are the candidates to replace him? Please dont say donnie henderson. He has been a dc twice and sucked horribly both times.

Anthony Spencer? I'd rather have Henderson. See if he has learned behind Pettine and Ryan. I don't wanna lose this scheme if we lose Pettine. Do you?

If pettine leaves who are the candidates to replace him? Please dont say donnie henderson. He has been a dc twice and sucked horribly both times.

Why not? He's got the most familiarity with this system going back to his days with Pettine in Baltimore. Plus he's got a lot more talented group of players with a full year under their belts.

I don't think he had the most talented squads in NY or Detroit when he was their DC. Although his first NY defense appears to have been pretty decent.

We could do a lot worse than promoting a guy well-versed in Pettine's schemes as well as being well-liked by his players.

GO BILLS!!!

Hopefully the Bills are prepared to make Ray Horton the highest paid DC in football.

I like this ideas as well.

GO BILLS!!!

It's not being that good discrimination. He's Marty Shottenheimer without the success.

I'd assume (but have no way of knowing from one tweet) that he's talking about not getting interviews for DC positions. There's zero chance he ever gets another head coaching gig and he should know that.

Really, how? And was that before or after Wade refused a directive by his superior?

GO BILLS!!!

Ralph trying to withhold money was bush league. Before you start to tell me about how "so and so did such and such and he didn't get his money even though he was fired while under contract" find me an example which included an NFL coach.

I'll bet this was Rob Chudzinski's position, too. Just sayin'.

I am with you.

Personally i think you gain more respect from other GM's around the league if you turn down a job like Cleveland. You can point to about 4-5 legit reasons why you did not take the job. This shows you are not desperate and confiden that you will earn a shot in a better situation.

If Pettine takes that job he is a fool in my opinion. Being a HC is great but you might only get one chance at that opportunity in the NFL before you are kicked back to Coordinator or position coach status if you get fired. YOu really need to consider the opportunity presented to you.

the browns situation is shakey. They kicked Chud to the curb after only one year. The circumstances of that is unclear. You could be walking into a hornets nest. There is a reason why a number of coaches are withdrawning from the running.

Pettine could just be practicing the interview for better opportunites in the future. If i were him I would wait another year or two and build up this defense and then wait for a more stable situation.

I hope we don't lose him, but you know, HC jobs in the NFL aren't a dime a dozen, even bad ones like Cleveland. One of the reasons, supposedly, that Pettine wanted to leave the Jets, was to get out under the perception that he was just running Rex's defense...Rex stated so, and so did Pettine, as I recall...Pettine, from the impression I got, feels he is more than ready to be a head coach. Going to Buffalo might have just been the stepping stone he needed.

A friend of mine in Cleveland, just FB messaged me about Pettine....he says the local sports talk is making it sound like he is the guy they are honing in on, since they won't get Jim Tressell...fan reaction seems to vary from "who?" to "do it!"