Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

I'll believe it when it happens. I predict it won't happen. I think Pettine has talked to Chudzinski by now.

I've said similar when I see these advanced notices.

Can't be. yet within 1 to 2 days it comes true. buth then again a broken clock is right twice a day (non military time)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enticing features of Browns HC job:

5 Pro Bowlers

Lots of picks in this strong draft

Lots of cap space

Downside:

No FQB

Unstable organization

Banner & Lombardi (who are in charge of making those picks and choosing FAs)

Owner still trying to stay out of jail

They already said they aren't signing 2 of the 5 Pro bowlers FWIW. And Joe Thomas was voted to the PB this year on name only. What a joke. He had a really bad year. Edited by YoloinOhio

Where is this coming from? Cleveland Plain Dealer doesn't have this, saying the Browns are bringing in a Dallas coach for an interview next.

kj

Apparently Schefter, et al don't follow Pettine's daughter on Twitter. Haven't seen anything from anyone. If he did take the 2nd intvw, that tells me he would be interested in the jb if it ws offered to him. I did not think that was the case just by him going for a 1st intvw. That does not mean that they will be offering him the position. I still maintain I would be extremely shocked if they did and it would be a major risk on their part. Not really on Pettine's merit, but the perception of the team, fans and media, They are working from a place of laughing stock. This would not help and it would just build on the negativity until September. On the other hand, if they went with a guy like Mike Munchak or say, one of the coordinators still in the playoffs like Greg Roman (would be a great hire, went to John Carroll) or Adam Gase, the fan base would be excited about having someone come over with a successful track record. Even if it is only one year of success with Gase, it is looked at better than anyone coming from a losing team. Chud came from a losing team too and you see how that turned out.

Apparently Schefter, et al don't follow Pettine's daughter on Twitter. Haven't seen anything from anyone. If he did take the 2nd intvw, that tells me he would be interested in the jb if it ws offered to him. I did not think that was the case just by him going for a 1st intvw. That does not mean that they will be offering him the position. I still maintain I would be extremely shocked if they did and it would be a major risk on their part. Not really on Pettine's merit, but the perception of the team, fans and media, They are working from a place of laughing stock. This would not help and it would just build on the negativity until September. On the other hand, if they went with a guy like Mike Munchak or say, one of the coordinators still in the playoffs like Greg Roman (would be a great hire, went to John Carroll) or Adam Gase, the fan base would be excited about having someone come over with a successful track record. Even if it is only one year of success with Gase, it is looked at better than anyone coming from a losing team. Chud came from a losing team too and you see how that turned out.

Also given what McCoy did for SD (shouldn't have made the playoffs but still), Gase would far and away be the most exciting candidate. You hope the stink of Peyton rubs off on him and he can pick his own QB.

As for MP, this should be a top 10 defense next year. If that happens, he will have plenty of teams knocking at his door. He should remove his name from consideration. :nana:

Also given what McCoy did for SD (shouldn't have made the playoffs but still), Gase would far and away be the most exciting candidate. You hope the stink of Peyton rubs off on him and he can pick his own QB.

As for MP, this should be a top 10 defense next year. If that happens, he will have plenty of teams knocking at his door. He should remove his name from consideration. :nana:

Ha. Worst case scenario, they choose to offer it to Pettine or everyone else turns it down and they have to hire him. Schwartz and Schiano are two defensive coaches out there who could be hired as DC. Say what you want about them, but Tampa had a good defense last year and Schwartz was a very good DC as well.

Ha. Worst case scenario, they choose to offer it to Pettine or everyone else turns it down and they have to hire him. Schwartz and Schiano are two defensive coaches out there who could be hired as DC. Say what you want about them, but Tampa had a good defense last year and Schwartz was a very good DC as well.

I'd rather have Ray Horton if Donnie Henderson doesn't get promoted. He has a similar philosophy to Pettine and our players seem like a better fit for his schemes.

GO BILLS!!!

While I'll admit to a little bit of wishful thinking on my end, I totally agree with this take...I think Pettine would be an awfully hard sell to Cleveland fans at this point in time...And while there is no question that the Bills Defense improved under him, it's not like they set the world on fire either...They ranked 28th in rushing yards allowed...That's with two Pro Bowl level DT's and Mario Williams on the D-line, and a Defensive ROY candidate at ILB...I don't think a Cleveland fan base that is already in a bit of a frenzy would be willing to accept Pettine no matter how ready he may be...It's a really tough sell at this time... B-)

An excellent post that handicaps the situation very well, I think.

The fact is … it’d have to be awfully toxic in CLE for Pettine to say no to a bona-fide job offer to become an NFL Head Coach. And who know about their one year change of heart, or what this Haslam guy’s deal is, but Lombardi and Banner have been around, and they do have talent there. So I don’t blame him one bit for entertaining the idea. He’s a very good head coaching prospect who almost has to take this shot if he gets the offer, even if he will face a tough sell to the fans.

Once Pettine’s in as a HC, then he’s really IN --- the experience will breed many more opportunities for the rest of his career. Caldwell and Whisenhunt just got another chance … I’d bet Chud and Shurmur eventually get 2nd chances too. But until then, he can’t say he has NFL HC experience.

As much as I would love to have Wade, I assume that you are joking. :)

Was Marrone hired because he was/is a Brandon crony? I will leave this for others to decide. But crony or not, my guess is that Marrone is one of the top 5 lowest paid HCs in the NFL, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is THE lowest paid.

To take this a step further, I would be willing to wager that Wade was paid more in Houston as DC than the Bills paid Marrone this year.

So yeah.....I hope Pettine stays.

Why WOULDN'T Marrone be paid among the lowest in the league? He didn't come from a major college program, had never been an NFL HC before so other than having his name circling as a moderately hot commodity, why would he command even a middle tier HC's salary? Edited by BillnutinHouston

I'd rather have Ray Horton if Donnie Henderson doesn't get promoted. He has a similar philosophy to Pettine and our players seem like a better fit for his schemes.

GO BILLS!!!

I would take Henderson first, but not sure if he could be lured away by Pettine to be their DC if Bills would let him out of his contract. Horton appears to be the top candidate for the Titans DC job and if I recall correctly worked for Whis previously in AZ.. but would think he would be a very good fit if that didn't happen. Also, Pettine could elect to keep Horton on staff in Cleveland. Which would allow us to promote Henderson.

An excellent post that handicaps the situation very well, I think.

The fact is … it’d have to be awfully toxic in CLE for Pettine to say no to a bona-fide job offer to become an NFL Head Coach. And who know about their one year change of heart, or what this Haslam guy’s deal is, but Lombardi and Banner have been around, and they do have talent there. So I don’t blame him one bit for entertaining the idea. He’s a very good head coaching prospect who almost has to take this shot if he gets the offer, even if he will face a tough sell to the fans.

Once Pettine’s in as a HC, then he’s really IN --- the experience will breed many more opportunities for the rest of his career. Caldwell and Whisenhunt just got another chance … I’d bet Chud and Shurmur eventually get 2nd chances too. But until then, he can’t say he has NFL HC experience.

Of course not... no one is blaming him, but sometimes unless a guy is truly looking to make a move regardless, it would have to be a great situation to move even if it is a sizable promotion. For that reason, a guy like Todd Bowles withdrew his name from consideration after interviewing there. Everyone is different in terms of what they are looking for. I get the feeling though if Pettine was offered this job he would indeed take it, and as you said I could not blame him one bit.

While we are talking about Cleveland, they must have the most turd-like group of WRs in the league when it comes to off the field stuff and 2 of those guys can't even perform on the field (Little and Bess). Little made negative headlines last summer, Gordon is on strike away from a year-long suspension, and Bess tweeted out a pic of weed a couple days ago, now this (and they just signed him to a 3 yr 11mil contract):

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 1h

Browns' Davone Bess arrested for battery on an officer http://wp.me/p14QSB-9oiP

Tom Reed@treed1919 59m
    Per arrest report, Bess "appeared to be under the influence of an unknown narcotic due to his irrational behavior."

Expan

b87e4b7ff72481e61879998eb0a83d2b_normal.jpegTom Reed@treed1919 1h
    Per report, Bess was "acting irrationally, dancing, singing w/ his pants repeatedly falling down"

While I'll admit to a little bit of wishful thinking on my end, I totally agree with this take...I think Pettine would be an awfully hard sell to Cleveland fans at this point in time...And while there is no question that the Bills Defense improved under him, it's not like they set the world on fire either...They ranked 28th in rushing yards allowed...That's with two Pro Bowl level DT's and Mario Williams on the D-line, and a Defensive ROY candidate at ILB...I don't think a Cleveland fan base that is already in a bit of a frenzy would be willing to accept Pettine no matter how ready he may be...It's a really tough sell at this time... B-)

I don't know. Why do they have to sell it to fans? But even if they feel they need to, I strongly suspect Cleveland fans are a lot like Buffalo fans. A great many support the team no matter what. Case in point, Gailey. The Bills had sucked for quite a while when Gailey was hired. There was no credible reason to think he would make a good head coach based on his past performance. Yet many Bills fans, even in here, were very excited that the Bills managed to pull off some sort of a coup and land him. Citing Jerrah's "worst mistake" firing him etc.

Many Browns fans would be excited to get Pettine much like Bills fans were with Gailey. And with Pettine there is at least SOME reason for excitement.

While we are talking about Cleveland, they must have the most turd-like group of WRs in the league when it comes to off the field stuff and 2 of those guys can't even perform on the field (Little and Bess). Little made negative headlines last summer, Gordon is on strike away from a year-long suspension, and Bess tweeted out a pic of weed a couple days ago, now this (and they just signed him to a 3 yr 11mil contract):

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 1h

Browns' Davone Bess arrested for battery on an officer http://wp.me/p14QSB-9oiP

Tom Reed@treed1919 59m
    Per arrest report, Bess "appeared to be under the influence of an unknown narcotic due to his irrational behavior."

Expan

b87e4b7ff72481e61879998eb0a83d2b_normal.jpegTom Reed@treed1919 1h
    Per report, Bess was "acting irrationally, dancing, singing w/ his pants repeatedly falling down"

the most fascinating part of those tweets comes from the pft article - "at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida early this morning."

also, yesterdays weed tweet wasnt even the first time hes done it in the last few weeks.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't know. Why do they have to sell it to fans? But even if they feel they need to, I strongly suspect Cleveland fans are a lot like Buffalo fans. A great many support the team no matter what. Case in point, Gailey. The Bills had sucked for quite a while when Gailey was hired. There was no credible reason to think he would make a good head coach based on his past performance. Yet many Bills fans, even in here, were very excited that the Bills managed to pull off some sort of a coup and land him. Citing Jerrah's "worst mistake" firing him etc.

Many Browns fans would be excited to get Pettine much like Bills fans were with Gailey. And with Pettine there is at least SOME reason for excitement.

My perspective only living amongst Browns "fans," It is much worse in Cleveland than it is in Buffalo. Based on the reaction I have heard and seen, it would be very ugly if they went through with it. Again, it could be remedied next season if they win. But they have zero margin of error with the fans. They think it is another kick in the groin to fire a HC after one year - and the only justification was they better have someone great in their back pocket to replace him with. Well, they didn't.

Wade Phillips is looking for a job. He could be a possibility to replace Pettine if he leaves.

Newy Scruggs@newyscruggs 5m

Wade Phillips Is Frustrated He's Not Getting Interviews. Is It Age Discrimination? http://shar.es/UgCSv via @thebiglead

Polian was interviewed on PTI last night and he said the only potential HC candidate left he would hire if he was GM of the Browns is Mike Munchak. He said anyone else worth hiring this year have already been snatched up.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1. b87e4b7ff72481e61879998eb0a83d2b_normal.jpegTom Reed@treed1919 1h

r8p.gif

Newy Scruggs@newyscruggs 5m

Wade Phillips Is Frustrated He's Not Getting Interviews. Is It Age Discrimination? http://shar.es/UgCSv via @thebiglead

It's not being that good discrimination. He's Marty Shottenheimer without the success.

Edited by Pondslider

r8p.gif

It's not being that good discrimination. He's Marty Shottenheimer without the success.

lol at first I thought the video was supposed to be a knock on Wade's age and then I realized it was for Bess. It could be a combination of both.

: I wonder if part of Pettine's 2nd interview will involve him identifying Browns players based on their mugshots

A team searching for a HC or GM opens itself up to the public given the reporting of everything NFL these days. These searches are not quiet and the quantity and caliber of candidates illustrates how much of a reputation a franchise is operating with. When Gailey was hired, we knew he was the emergency guy seeing as how Buffalo was outright turned down so many times.

A team searching for a HC or GM opens itself up to the public given the reporting of everything NFL these days. These searches are not quiet and the quantity and caliber of candidates illustrates how much of a reputation a franchise is operating with. When Gailey was hired, we knew he was the emergency guy seeing as how Buffalo was outright turned down so many times.

Agreed, I recall almost no one being excited when Chan was finally hired. We only warmed up to him when he jettisoned Trent and his team began to show some offensive excitement.

This is Pettine’s first ever NFL head coaching interview (and soon to be 2nd), so it makes sense to go through it as a learning process, no matter what the deal is with the team in question.

But Pettine also strikes me as the type of guy that would (eventually) fit in very well in a town like Cleveland, after the initial “we didn’t get the hot candidate” nonsense wore off. His father was a legendary coach in his own right, as I understand. I liked how he came across on Hard Knocks while with the Jets, and I was quite happy to see Marrone recruit him here as soon as he was hired. The Jets OWNED the Bills while he was their DC.

And I am not in the “but we sucked vs. the run” crowd … I think what he got out of our existing defensive talent plus his scheme was borderline incredible. A top ten D is a top ten D, and I think that is all he has ever produced in the NFL.