Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

Mayock never projected him as a 1st round grade...thats false.

Your article points to rumours that his stock is rising with some teams that could push him to the 1st round from his 2nd/3rd round projections...thats it.

BTW Mayock thought the Manuel pick was very poor value.

so if the Eagles or Browns or someone else who liked him had taken him before the Bills could because they waited so that they didn't get criticized for "poor value", what would you suggest they have done with the QB position? Keep Fitz? Take Geno or one of the other guys who wasn't projected to be a franchise QB? Roll with Kolb, and then when he got hurt start Leinart, Flynn, or one of the other craptastic backup retreads out there? They are developing someone they feel is a franchise QB. You can dislike him as a player or dislike where the took him, but the plan is what they needed to do.

Indeed. If they hit on a QB this draft they will have set themself not for just success but for sustained success.

Biggest question mark. But I think they either draft Manziel or roll with Hoyer and take a guy later.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so if the Eagles or Browns or someone else who liked him had taken him before the Bills could because they waited so that they didn't get criticized for "poor value", what would you suggest they have done with the QB position? Keep Fitz? Take Geno or one of the other guys who wasn't projected to be a franchise QB? Roll with Kolb, and then when he got hurt start Leinart, Flynn, or one of the other craptastic backup retreads out there? They are developing someone they feel is a franchise QB. You can dislike him as a player or dislike where the took him, but the plan is what they needed to do.

Biggest question mark. But I think they either draft Manziel or roll with Hoyer and take a guy later.

For sure. Cleveland is in a spot where they don't have to force things, they have a lot of flexibilty going into the draft in what they can do.

OK, I caved and visited the Brownie board.. omg, hilarous on Pettine (and so funny how much they hate Weeden):

"

So ... this would be the guy that lost a ten point lead to Brandon Weeden coming off the bench last year

He's the guy where they said "Okay, we need SOMEONE who no matter what, won't reject us, you know, just in case Gase/Quinn/Everyone else does." He's also the guy who is also going to reject us.

LOL... Think he can work us into his busy interview schedule?

Edited by YoloinOhio

OK, I caved and visited the Brownie board.. omg, hilarous on Pettine:

"

So ... this would be the guy that lost a ten point lead to Brandon Weeden coming off the bench last year?

He's the guy where they said "Okay, we need SOMEONE who no matter what, won't reject us, you know, just in case Gase/Quinn/Everyone else does." He's also the guy who is also going to reject us.

10 point lead isn't much. Sounds like a common overreaction.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

who they were on the verge of trading as hes still a bit of a volatile commodity and will soon owe large financial commitments to him.

one more strike and he is out for a year. Just hope he isn't hanging out with Devone Bess.

From what I recall, special teams played a critical role in that comeback.

Weeden. Pick him off. Everyone else does.

Yet in this case it was still a massive reach drafting Manuel in 1st when the concencus grade on him was a 3rd. Very poor value.

Consensus for who? And more importantly when?...

The Draft process takes time. After the 2012 College season EJ was considered a 3rd -4th round prospect, but things quickly changed starting with the Sr Bowl practices...Scouts realized really quick that EJ had a ton of potential to go along with his athletic ability...Then the Combine workouts and interviews where EJ really, really impressed...Then the private workout where EJ showed well...It was a weak QB class in 2013 anyway, so it's easy to see why EJ flew to the top...I would say by the time the Draft came about the consensus was that EJ would go somewhere between the mid 1st and mid 2nd...Granted some scouts still felt EJ was a 3rd-4th round pick...But by the time the whole process was complete those scouts were in the minority...

who they were on the verge of trading as hes still a bit of a volatile commodity and will soon owe large financial commitments to him.

They are in a win/win. They have the cap space to make large financial commitments to core players if they want or they can trade him.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Even after him getting benched in the playoffs. He was only out there for a handflul of plays.

Seriously, I am not trying to disagree with everything you say (I know it seems that way) but as I talk to Browns fans daily your perspective is just different so I feel compelled.

But here's the thing. How has the TRich trade "worked out" for the Browns so far? They MIGHT get a good player with the Colts pick, but we don't know that yet. What we do know is that the team had less rushing yardage and more trouble scoring on the ground after he left as they didn't have a decent backup plan. I'm not saying that it definitely won't turn out better, I just think it's a little premature to claim that it has worked out well when the team is no better in general, was worse at running the ball after he left, and we don't yet know that the acquired pick won't be a bust.

There are in a win/win. They have the cap space to make large financial commitments to core players if they want or they can trade him.

that their best player is one strike away from a year long suspension i wouldnt call a win/win situation. its a problem that they can hopefully solve.

Seriously, I am not trying to disagree with everything you say (I know it seems that way) but as I talk to Browns fans daily your perspective is just different so I feel compelled.

But here's the thing. How has the TRich trade "worked out" for the Browns so far? They MIGHT get a good player with the Colts pick, but we don't know that yet. What we do know is that the team had less rushing yardage and more trouble scoring on the ground after he left as they didn't have a decent backup plan. I'm not saying that it definitely won't turn out better, I just think it's a little premature to claim that it has worked out well when the team is no better in general, was worse at running the ball after he left, and we don't yet know that the acquired pick won't be a bust.

RB is one of the easiest positions to fix in the NFL. You won't see them drafting one in the 1st round.

They are in a win/win. They have the cap space to make large financial commitments to core players if they want or they can trade him.

It will be interesting to see who they decide to make these commitments to and will depend on what new systems they bring in and again, how much, if any, power they give to the HC in making these decisions. Banner is not known for being easy to work for (for being the operative word) and Lombardi is a mixed bag on his evaluations. He said before he came to Cleveland that he thought TRich was the best player in the 2012 draft. Yes, that 2012 draft with Luck and RG3. Yet, he got here and he was OK with Banner getting rid of him?

RB is one of the easiest positions to fix in the NFL. You won't see them drafting one in the 1st round.

One would hope Edited by YoloinOhio

Consensus for who? And more importantly when?...

The Draft process takes time. After the 2012 College season EJ was considered a 3rd -4th round prospect, but things quickly changed starting with the Sr Bowl practices...Scouts realized really quick that EJ had a ton of potential to go along with his athletic ability...Then the Combine workouts and interviews where EJ really, really impressed...Then the private workout where EJ showed well...It was a weak QB class in 2013 anyway, so it's easy to see why EJ flew to the top...I would say by the time the Draft came about the consensus was that EJ would go somewhere between the mid 1st and mid 2nd...Granted some scouts still felt EJ was a 3rd-4th round pick...But by the time the whole process was complete those scouts were in the minority...

Most importantly, scouts are scouting for their own schemes, systems, personnel, etc. EJ may have beem the type of QB a team like the Cowboys (just an example) would take in the 4th if he was available but a QB needy team with the right system/weather factors/personnel like the Bills, Eagles, Browns would take in the 1st or 2nd. That is why every team's board is different. Edited by YoloinOhio