Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

And people are calling the browns front office inept when they have an elite defense coupled with the fact a plethora of high picks all at the same time having the 2nd most cap space in the NFL going into 2014.

If that is inept and setting yourself up for failure I don't know what is! :doh:

and yet.... no ones jumping to take the job, given a more inside look than you or I have at the organization.

it doesnt give you any pause at all in your evaluation? im not saying they are the worst ever in the NFL, but i suspect you are neglecting to mention some big cons in your assessment.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you quote Mayock with grading Manuel in the 1st round. I don't see it anywhere in that quote.

And people are calling the browns front office inept when they have an elite defense coupled with the fact a plethora of high picks all at the same time having the 2nd most cap space in the NFL going into 2014.

If that is inept and setting yourself up for failure I don't know what is! :doh:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/3/7/4076876/mike-mayock-moves-ej-manuel-to-number-two-on-his-qb-board

Edited by YoloinOhio

Can you quote Mayock with grading Manuel in the 1st round. I don't see it anywhere in that quote.

1. Read the article and do some digging for yourself. I don't know if Mayock was quoted in any article as saying it; I can tell you for a fact he said it on the air the day of the draft.

2. If it were the Bills people would be calling them cheap and claiming that they create their own holes by trading 1st round picks.

and yet.... no ones jumping to take the job, given a more inside look than you or I have at the organization.

it doesnt give you any pause at all in your evaluation? im not saying they are the worst ever in the NFL, but i suspect you are neglecting to mention some big cons in your assessment.

What big cons?

I can't really tell you what happens behind the scenes, but in terms of personnel, cap, draft status and setting for the future it's all there. I just have to go on facts I know and the facts are the front office has set themself up for a great opportunity of sustained success.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Are they really an "elite" defense? Some nice pieces no doubt, but elite?

I don't know why, but Haslem just doesn't seem like the type of owner I'd want to work with either. Seems like he led a lot of that staff on before doing an about face and firing the HC. Never mind the possible threat of a a federal investigation being re-opened.

I don't know why, but Haslem just doesn't seem like the type of owner I'd want to work with either. Seems like he led a lot of that staff on before doing an about face and firing the HC. Never mind the possible threat of a a federal investigation being re-opened.

He asked the fans to be patient as they comb through the last of the available candidates and yet he has fired 2 coaches already since he had been there and the CEO of his company after 6 months. He looked good when he first came on board but hasn't lived up to anything he has promised. Edited by YoloinOhio

1. Read the article and do some digging for yourself. I don't know if Mayock was quoted in any article as saying it; I can tell you for a fact he said it on the air the day of the draft.

2. If it were the Bills people would be calling them cheap and claiming that they create their own holes by trading 1st round picks.

You made that (false) claim to me. I'm not digging.

What big cons?

i mean, given the owners current status i almost feel bad about taking a joke thats so easy to make....

do you think theres a reason players are openly questioning the organization, local reporters calling them the 3 stooges, and assistants are pulling out of the search even though the roster and finances are in what you feel would be great shape?

I am in the camp that thinks the front office in Cleveland is a bad group to work for.

It is a massive professional insult (regardless of how much you are paid) to be fired in your first year as head coach.

So, I think that any worthwhile potential coach would be very concerned about the real reasons why they fired the last guy. That would be one of the bigger deciding factors I would think. And I also think it puts Cleveland in a position where they might end up setting for someone other than who they had hoped they could get to coach there.

Anything could happen. There are so many variables.

i mean, given the owners current status i almost feel bad about taking a joke thats so easy to make....

do you think theres a reason players are openly questioning the organization, local reporters calling them the 3 stooges, and assistants are pulling out of the search even though the roster and finances are in what you feel would be great shape?

I'm sure there are a lot emotions involved in Cleveland...like any losing team.

But lets not cloud the facts with what they have setup going into the 2014 season.

Yup. Top 10 defense.

You mean they aren't objective? Haha.

What are the specifics they are saying since you have read their message board?

But lets not cloud the facts with what they have setup going into the 2014 season.

Yup. Top 10 defense.

I know there's a million rankings out there, but ESPN has the Browns 9 and the Bills 10. That means we are elite. I don't know if I'd call us elite.

Yup. Top 10 defense.

I don't have to read it. They don't have time to post on a message board anyway as they are all jumping in their bathtubs with plugged-in toasters.

It's not false... I posted the link above.

So the browns next headcoach will inherit

1) A top 10 defense.

2) The 2nd most cap room in the NFL

3) 3 of the top 35 draft picks in the 2014 draft

4) 5 of the top 83 selections

This really is an excellent fit for Pettine or really any 1st time headcoach to turn this ship around. It's all there.

And the best young WR in football, which is a MAJOR piece.

I don't have to read it. They don't have time to post on a message board anyway as they are all jumping in their bathtubs with plugged-in toasters.

It's not false... I posted the link above.

Mayock never projected him as a 1st round grade...thats false.

Your article points to rumours that his stock is rising with some teams that could push him to the 1st round from his 2nd/3rd round projections...thats it.

BTW Mayock thought the Manuel pick was very poor value.

Yes and everyone trashed the FO immediately after the Richardson trade, too.

You can call it false if you'd like; it's not. He said it the day of the draft--it isn't my fault if you were watching ESPN and not NFL Network.

I also linked to an article that you could've read if you wanted to--it made it pretty clear.

There's others out there...this isn't a court of law, and I'm sure you know how to use Google if you want to.

I know there's a million rankings out there, but ESPN has the Browns 9 and the Bills 10. That means we are elite. I don't know if I'd call us elite.

Yeah, in YPG there was almost no difference between the two. In PPG, Cleveland's D ranked 23rd. It's also worth noting that Ray Horton--the coordinator of that "elite" defense that allowed 24 points to the Bills in 2.5 quarters, is no longer there.