Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

And they have Hoyer and a chance to get a top QB too.

I think its a great opportunity for someone out there.

The Browns situation is so overblown.

Any QB drafted that high will be a reach. Kiper doesn't have any QBs in the top 8 on his Big Board.

The Browns have 5 of the first 83 selections. They don't have to reach at all in the top 8.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the luxury of having all those picks. They would have the option to trade down and obtain the appropriate value they see.

So the Browns set themselves up nicely to NOT reach by trading down and getting the QB they want while picking up extra picks, which is somehow different from what the Bills did?

Except Marrone had HC experience and Pettine did not. While not a requirement for every team, it is something the Bills wanted. Sometimes coordinators don't make the best HCs and are better staying coordinators. Marrone has shown he can run a program. BTW, he did a lot with that Syracuse program. It isn't like he went .500 at USC.

That reminds me. The Kiffins are available.

So the Browns set themselves up nicely to NOT reach by trading down and getting the QB they want while picking up extra picks, which is somehow different from what the Bills did?

The big difference is that the Bills were still drafting a player in the 1st round that was graded as a 3 round pick or worse on some draft boards (Dallas for example) and a known project. Very poor value and still a reach.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Yet in this case it was still a massive reach drafting Manuel in 1st when the concencus grade on him was a 3rd. Very poor value.

The big difference is that the Bills were still drafting a player in the 1st round that was graded as a 3 round pick or worse on some draft boards (Dallas for example) and a known project. Very poor value and still a reach.

The "consensus" grade was NOT a 3rd round pick or worse. In fact, I remember Mike Mayock--who's been approached about at least two NFL GM jobs--saying that he expects Manuel to be a first-round pick.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it; it's not true.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/03/27/ej-manuel-says-he-has-a-good-chance-to-go-in-first-round/2026405/

"Who would I be betting on in this quarterback class? I decided Manuel is the guy,'' Mayock said. "There are enough holes in all these kids' games that if I'm going to make a mistake, it's going to be with a big athletic kid with arm talent. He's raw, but E.J.'s got a lot of talent."

Jason McIntyre@jasonrmcintyre 36m

reminder: the Browns gave Davone Bess 3 yrs, $11 million. Surely the team is thrilled with this weed development http://thebiglead.com/2014/01/16/davone-bess-tweeted-a-picture-of-his-weed-this-morning/ …

i shouldnt be surprised, but sometimes, it still surprises me how dumb some of these guys can be.

lucky there isnt another WR in that group thats an absolute super star talent thats only one drug violation away from a year on the shelf.

There is no QB in this year's class that isn't a "known" project, either. They all have questions regarding their various level of readiness for the NFL.

GO BILLS!!!

Why not start another thread about EJ if you guys want to make this about EJ again? Isn't this thread supposed to be about Pettine - head coaching speculation?

Yes, and a few of us have tried pulling it back to Pettine...others just want to make it about blasting the Bills for reasons I cannot understand.

That is only your opinion. It doesn't matter where Dallas had him. He was the Bills guy and they took him. Would you feel better if they took Kiko in the 1st at 16 and Woods and EJ in the 2nd? They had an outstanding draft.

The "consensus" grade was NOT a 3rd round pick or worse. In fact, I remember Mike Mayock--who's been approached about at least two NFL GM jobs--saying that he expects Manuel to be a first-round pick.

It doesn't matter how many times you say it; it's not true.

http://www.usatoday....-round/2026405/

"Who would I be betting on in this quarterback class? I decided Manuel is the guy,'' Mayock said. "There are enough holes in all these kids' games that if I'm going to make a mistake, it's going to be with a big athletic kid with arm talent. He's raw, but E.J.'s got a lot of talent."

Can you quote Mayock with grading Manuel in the 1st round. I don't see it anywhere in that quote.

Yes, and a few of us have tried pulling it back to Pettine...others just want to make it about blasting the Bills for reasons I cannot understand.

And people are calling the browns front office inept when they have an elite defense coupled with the fact a plethora of high picks all at the same time having the 2nd most cap space in the NFL going into 2014.

If that is inept and setting yourself up for failure I don't know what is! :doh: