Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

If pettine leaves who are the candidates to replace him? Please dont say donnie henderson. He has been a dc twice and sucked horribly both times.

I doubt external interviews will be held. They'll look for someone from within and given the paucity of options, it probably won't be ideal.

Hopefully the Bills are prepared to make Ray Horton the highest paid DC in football.

I'm not thinking the Bills are breaking the bank for a DC. I realize they got Pettine, but Buffalo isn't exactly big spenders on coaches.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt external interviews will be held. They'll look for someone from within and given the paucity of options, it probably won't be ideal.

I'm not thinking the Bills are breaking the bank for a DC. I realize they got Pettine, but Buffalo isn't exactly big spenders on coaches.

Maybe they would promote newly hired Jeff Hafley!

Ralph trying to withhold money was bush league. Before you start to tell me about how "so and so did such and such and he didn't get his money even though he was fired while under contract" find me an example which included an NFL coach.

I'm not sure if there's ever been a case where a fired coach had to sue his former team for guaranteed salary. But I don't think it's relevant, anyway.

Mr. Wilson knew full well he was going to have to end up paying Wade's salary. That wasn't the point of making Wade file the complaint. Wade publicly quit on the season when interviewed before a national audience before a nationally televised game vs. the Colts, which pissed off several people in the front office, including Mr. Wilson. Wade's insubordinate refusal to fire Ronnie Jones after the season was just the tipping point.

It's understandable why people would view it as bush league. But Wade Phillips shouldn't get a free pass because his behavior precipitated the entire incident.

GO BILLS!!!

I hope we don't lose him, but you know, HC jobs in the NFL aren't a dime a dozen, even bad ones like Cleveland. One of the reasons, supposedly, that Pettine wanted to leave the Jets, was to get out under the perception that he was just running Rex's defense...Rex stated so, and so did Pettine, as I recall...Pettine, from the impression I got, feels he is more than ready to be a head coach. Going to Buffalo might have just been the stepping stone he needed.

A friend of mine in Cleveland, just FB messaged me about Pettine....he says the local sports talk is making it sound like he is the guy they are honing in on, since they won't get Jim Tressell...fan reaction seems to vary from "who?" to "do it!"

They haven't even tried, from what I understand. I do think Tress would want more control than what Banner would be willing to allow, but I haven't heard they even reached out to him to interview and he stated he was open to doing so and there is a fan campaign for him. Considering they are interviewing anyone they can find, I am surprised they haven't at least set up a meeting just to say they did.

They haven't even tried, from what I understand. I do think Tress would want more control than what Banner would be willing to allow, but I haven't heard they even reached out to him to interview and he stated he was open to doing so and there is a fan campaign for him. Considering they are interviewing anyone they can find, I am surprised they haven't at least set up a meeting just to say they did.

Yeah, surprised about the Tressell thing too...he is the most popular choice amongst Browns fans...not to say that means a lot, but the team is taking a PR beating right now. You would thing they would at least float out the possibilty...Tressell is likely way too smart to take the job.

LOL that one of the Cleveland Sports sites is www.waitingfornextyear.com....a tradition of hope,passion and misery. Someone posted this in response to Pettine's daughter's lukewarm tweet about his interview... he could wear this on the sidelines:

custom_shirt.jpg?color=White&qv=94&r=635255503452105672

Edited by YoloinOhio

Ralph trying to withhold money was bush league. Before you start to tell me about how "so and so did such and such and he didn't get his money even though he was fired while under contract" find me an example which included an NFL coach.

Pretty sure Al Davis was notorious for doing this at times. The people I can remember are Mike Shanahan and Lane Kiffen, but I'm thinking there are others that didn't make it public.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3620818

I'm not sure if there's ever been a case where a fired coach had to sue his former team for guaranteed salary. But I don't think it's relevant, anyway.

Mr. Wilson knew full well he was going to have to end up paying Wade's salary. That wasn't the point of making Wade file the complaint. Wade publicly quit on the season when interviewed before a national audience before a nationally televised game vs. the Colts, which pissed off several people in the front office, including Mr. Wilson. Wade's insubordinate refusal to fire Ronnie Jones after the season was just the tipping point.

It's understandable why people would view it as bush league. But Wade Phillips shouldn't get a free pass because his behavior precipitated the entire incident.

GO BILLS!!!

I see, Wade refused to fire an assistant so he's the bad guy. You're carrying around a lot of baggage there, maybe it's time to let it go.

LOL that one of the Cleveland Sports sites is www.waitingfornextyear.com....a tradition of hope,passion and misery. Someone posted this in response to Pettine's daughter's lukewarm tweet about his interview... he could wear this on the sidelines:

custom_shirt.jpg?color=White&qv=94&r=635255503452105672

Nice....yolo.

Not sure if pettine is ready to deal with the factory of sadness.

I see, Wade refused to fire an assistant so he's the bad guy. You're carrying around a lot of baggage there, maybe it's time to let it go.

LOL. I don't carry any baggage about Wade at all. I don't blame him for sticking up for his assistant coach, either. And I certainly don't think he's a bad guy. He definitely brought it all upon himself though, and I don't give him a free pass because it satisfies some preconceived notions about Mr. Wilson.

He was an embarrassment while being interviewed during that Monday night game when he publicly quit on the season, his team, and his fans.

I'm surprised you're ok with that.

GO BILLS!!!

The bizarro search: If I didn’t know better I’d swear the Browns’ coaching search has been taken out of the hands of CEO Joe Banner and placed in control of one of those headhunter firms.

Mike Munchak? Mike Pettine? Rich Bisaccia? Could Perry Fewell be next?

These men, fine coaches in their respective specialties, certainly don’t fit Banner’s prototype of young, out-of-the-box, offensive-minded, up-and-comers.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=27661

Haslam stepped in and took the search direction out of Banner and Lombardi's hands. They are involved still, but Haslam is heading it up now. Thus the not hiring Josh McDaniels. He appears to see that there have been major issues with the FO, but whether or not he does better remains to be seen. I'd expect Haslam's stamp to be on this hire - whatever that means.

The more likely scenario, from this perspective, is that Marrone would choose to bring in another experienced defensive coordinator and re-start the building process on that side of the ball. The problem, however, would be timing. By late January or early February, most NFL and college staffs are complete, leaving the Bills with few "free agent" coaching options.

If Pettine is hired by the Browns and if the Bills choose to bring in a new defensive coordinator -- again, these are "ifs" -- then it will undoubtedly set the Bills back. The defense, while talented at most spots, would have to adjust to yet another new scheme, which is exactly what a second-year coach wants to avoid.

It would not be a monumental obstacle for the Bills to overcome, but one that could pose a significant problem for Marrone this season.

I would definitely want to run the same defense and if no one in house can do it then I would poach someone from the Jets or Ravens which basically have the same system or maybe from Rob Ryan's staff.

If we change schemes I would go with Seahawks.

or we could bring Wade back after some kiss and make up time with Ralph.

LOL. I don't carry any baggage about Wade at all. I don't blame him for sticking up for his assistant coach, either. And I certainly don't think he's a bad guy. He definitely brought it all upon himself though, and I don't give him a free pass because it satisfies some preconceived notions about Mr. Wilson.

He was an embarrassment while being interviewed during that Monday night game when he publicly quit on the season, his team, and his fans.

I'm surprised you're ok with that.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm over it. Much more pressing things to worry about.

Haslam stepped in and took the search direction out of Banner and Lombardi's hands. They are involved still, but Haslam is heading it up now. Thus the not hiring Josh McDaniels. He appears to see that there have been major issues with the FO, but whether or not he does better remains to be seen. I'd expect Haslam's stamp to be on this hire - whatever that means.

always good when the owner takes hiring authority away from the general manager or CEO. seems functional. dont see why it would give anyone pause.

this couldn't go in the Pettine to Cleveland thread?

Besides the RUN sucked last season and it still sucked this season. They tried to disguise the looks last season too. MOST of all - the Bills still didn't defeat the Putrids

Why was the Defense ranked better overall? TALENT both young and old!

Fuddy duddy