Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

While the defense was far from perfect, Mike Pettine made a real positive contribution and the D was SIGNIFICANTLY better this year than the year before. I hope that the Bills can retain him because there doesn't appear to be anyone on the staff capable/ready to be promoted to DC and I am not aware of any obvious candidates available on the street. Pettine did a very good job.

Edited by OldTimer1960

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It very well could have played out this way and you know it. Considering he passed the torch not too long after the draft, it's entirely possible they shared picks. One thing we do know though: Nix was hell-bent on drafting a QB before stepping down - he was quoted so numerous times.

Marrone is the head coach. The buck stops at him. No need to say more there.

As for Chan "salvaging" Fitz, I think he did a fairly good job polishing that turd.

Just the blame part? Or does he get credit for their success on defense as well, and likely understands it pretty well, since the buck stops with him?

While the defense was far from perfect, Mike Pettine made a real positive contribution and the D was SIGNIFICANTLY better this year than the year before. I hope that the Bills can retain him because there doesn't appear to be anyone on the staff capable/ready to be promoted to DC and I am not aware of any obvious candidates available on the street. Pettine did a very good job.

It was significantly better in certain categories. I hope he stays as well. But how do you know there isn't anyone able to be promoted to DC on the staff? Other teams do this all the time... they just hired a secondaries coach from Tampa. Could he take Henderson's role and Henderson become DC?

It would be just our luck, we finally have a DC that most fans agree is very good and he gets 1 freakin HC interview in his career and gets the job because no one else wants it.

Myself personally, and I really like D Marrone,

I would fire Marrone and promote Pettine to HC before I let that happen...

You do understand that the reason nobody wants to coach in Cleveland is because they had a knee jerk reaction and fired Chud after 1 year right?

What happens if Pettine shows that he's not a good HC and is more suited for being a coordinator? We try to fill our HC position and nobody wants to interview because of how we treated Marrone.

It's incredibly stupid but I expect nothing less from this fan base these days.

Edited by Bangarang

Just the blame part? Or does he get credit for their success on defense as well, and likely understands it pretty well, since the buck stops with him?

It was significantly better in certain categories. I hope he stays as well. But how do you know there isn't anyone able to be promoted to DC on the staff? Other teams do this all the time... they just hired a secondaries coach from Tampa. Could he take Henderson's role and Henderson become DC?

Agreed that it was better in certain categories and not in others, but there was a "just you can tell" overall improvement that was big.

WRT to "how do I know there isn't anyone able to be promoted?", I didn't say that I knew that. I said it doesn't appear as though there is anyone. As to Donnie Henderson, he has kind of fallen off the map since he was DC of the Jets years ago. Maybe he could do it, his recent jobs out of the NFL don't suggest that many think he can.

You do understand that the reason nobody wants to coach in Cleveland is because they had a knee jerk reaction and fired Chud after 1 year right?

What happens if Pettine shows that he's not a good HC and is more suited for being a coordinator? We try to fill our HC position and nobody wants to interview because of how we treated Marrone.

I agree, nothing against Pettine, but his only HC experience is high school and being the DC under Ryan is like Curtis Modkins bring the OC under Gailey. Which makes last year his first being in charge of anything.

It would be just our luck, we finally have a DC that most fans agree is very good and he gets 1 freakin HC interview in his career and gets the job because no one else wants it.

Good news? Cleveland wants a 2nd interview with Seattle DC Dan Quinn. Interest is mutual according to the "insiders"

Oh geeze 5th scheme in 6 years? Their heads would be spinning.

There is not an idea that I hate more than this one about the team going into 2014. They need some level of continuity, and if they have to go get a ton of new players to fit another DC's scheme, this team will again be sitting home watching the playoffs.

Are you saying it makes no sense to fire Marrone and promote Pettine ? ----- first, I know it will NEVER happen --- second, it SHOULD happen --- Pettine is by far the best coach on staff in Buffalo right now, not even close --- when I originally posted this thought, I was more or less thinking ahead to next year's off season --- it's a legitimate question to ask --- "what happens if the best HC happens to be one of your coordinators ?" --- talk to fans in Dallas (they let Payton walk), Indy (they let Arians walk) or Cincy (they let Zimmer walk) ---- a lot of fans of those teams are kicking themselves --- look, I know it will never happen, but it should ---

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Good news? Cleveland wants a 2nd interview with Seattle DC Dan Quinn. Interest is mutual according to the "insiders"

Gooooooo Seattle!

Are you saying it makes no sense to fire Marrone and promote Pettine ? ----- first, I know it will NEVER happen --- second, it SHOULD happen --- Pettine is by far the best coach on staff in Buffalo right now, not even close

I'm going to trust that this assessment comes from the countless hours you've spent in the locker room and on the practice field with these guys, and is not a baseless assertion or a hunch based on stats and what you see on TV.

The best coach on staff could be the DBs coach. It could be the RBs coach. We don't have enough information here. Regardless, the point stands that keeping Pettine is important. But if you think keeping Pettine and essentially scrapping everyone loyal to Marrone would work -- and this is essentially what you'd have to do in this scenario -- that's bonkers.

Also, Pettine's results were the most impressive, but they have plenty of room for improvement including the abysmal and inconsistent run defense.

Serious question... what have you seen from Mike Pettine that makes you think he is better HC material than Marrone? It is something that I, and all the other teams in the NFL who had HC openings this year (except for the 3 Stooges who are 0-1 in HC hires) are missing...

Are you saying it makes no sense to fire Marrone and promote Pettine ? ----- first, I know it will NEVER happen --- second, it SHOULD happen --- Pettine is by far the best coach on staff in Buffalo right now, not even close --- when I originally posted this thought, I was more or less thinking ahead to next year's off season --- it's a legitimate question to ask --- "what happens if the best HC happens to be one of your coordinators ?" --- talk to fans in Dallas (they let Payton walk), Indy (they let Arians walk) or Cincy (they let Zimmer walk) ---- a lot of fans of those teams are kicking themselves --- look, I know it will never happen, but it should ---

Indy let Arians "walk" because they had a 1st year HC. Do you really think they were going to fire Pagano and hire Arians? Not even Irsay is that ridiculous.

We have no idea what will happen between now and then. So right now, it makes no sense.

+1

Agreed that it was better in certain categories and not in others, but there was a "just you can tell" overall improvement that was big.

WRT to "how do I know there isn't anyone able to be promoted?", I didn't say that I knew that. I said it doesn't appear as though there is anyone. As to Donnie Henderson, he has kind of fallen off the map since he was DC of the Jets years ago. Maybe he could do it, his recent jobs out of the NFL don't suggest that many think he can.

Maybe.. I don't know enough about him other than I think he was outstanding this year for the Bills. However, NFL coaches move up and down in the ranks every year.

I agree, nothing against Pettine, but his only HC experience is high school and being the DC under Ryan is like Curtis Modkins bring the OC under Gailey. Which makes last year his first being in charge of anything.

I generally agree with this line of thinking. Let's not get carried away about Pettine after just one year out from under Rex's shadow. The defense is improving and losing him would be a step backward, but a reactionary move like firing Marrone to protect against Pettine leaving strikes me as extreme and would make the Bills look even more goofy as an organization.

Edited by Willyville Guy

I generally agree with this line of thinking. Let's not get carried away about Pettine after just one year out from under Rex's shadow. The defense is imporving and losing him would be a step backward, but a reactionary move like firing Marrone to protect against Pettine leaving strikes me as extreme and would make the Bills look even more goofy as an organization.

I guess I must be on an island (would not be the first time).... but what has Marrone done to consider firing him already? I don't get it.

Serious question... what have you seen from Mike Pettine that makes you think he is better HC material than Marrone? It is something that I, and all the other teams in the NFL who had HC openings this year (except for the 3 Stooges who are 0-1 in HC hires) are missing...

Exactly. Have we seen how Pettine delegates offensive decisions, or what his philosophy for an offense is? What do we know about his in-game management and clock management?

I can't say he wouldn't be good at these things, or even better than Marrone, but we have no evidence to support that he would be.

I guess I must be on an island (would not be the first time).... but what has Marrone done to consider firing him already? I don't get it.

Nothing. It's not you, its them. For some reason they think that dumping a HC after not only his first year as the Bills HC, but his first year as a NFL HC in favor of a DC who has never been a HC and in his first year as a DC out of Rex Ryans shadow did no more than a good job. He had a bunch of talent to work with and still the Bills defense was pretty bad against the run. Idiotic in my opinion. I very much want him to stay on as DC and see what he can do. But the concept of firing Marrone and promoting Pettine out of fear is pure overreaction in my opinion.