Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

I'm sure, if accurate, this could be part of the reluctance from some candidates - he's a risky guy to tie your career to, and if the front office is actually strong in this opinion before they even have a head coach picked its give me pause as a candidate about how much control I'd have over my roster and locker room.

That all said, it's very possibly (probably) idle chatter (although I'm not sure I want to project Cleveland's future decisions with any confidence)

My take based on what the local media is reporting.... it is no secret that the Browns want to take Manziel. It is also no secret that the HC will have little control/say over personnel and that is why so many guys are withdrawing. The problem is Banner. It is a bad situation for any HC to walk into. The team itself is not that bad, but with the key position being the QB and Manziel isn't even in the top 10 best players of any draft expert yet they want to trade up to 2... Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take based on what the local media is reporting.... it is no secret that the Browns want to take Manziel. It is also no secret that the HC will have little control/say over personnel and that is why so many guys are withdrawing. The problem is Banner. It is a bad situation for any HC to walk into. The team itself is not that bad, but with the key position being the QB and Manziel isn't even in the top 10 best players of any draft expert yet they want to trade up to 2...

I'm with you on everything, but comments on Manziel -- he is a Top 10 prospect --- full disclosure: I am a Baylor/TCU fan, not Aggie --- but Manziel is a legit NFL franchise QB prospect and Top 10 on almost EVERY board or mock ---

I think it's between the Seattle guy and Pettine. If the 'Hawks win the Super Bowl it would be very easy to sell their D-Coord to the Browns fan base. Even if they lose a close game... Seattle's defense brings a whole lot more national acclaim to the table.

I think it's between the Seattle guy and Pettine. If the 'Hawks win the Super Bowl it would be very easy to sell their D-Coord to the Browns fan base. Even if they lose a close game... Seattle's defense brings a whole lot more national acclaim to the table.

itll be tough to wait two more weeks on a maybe he will take it situation.

when was the last SB coordinator hired? im honestly not sure, but it seems very late in the process to be starting to assemble a staff. itll be february and less than 3 weeks before the combine and only a month out from free agency.

I'd lay odds that Donnie Henderson becomes our new DC. It's been said already and I agree, I think Pettine would take O'Neil and make him his DC. Henderson has a LOT of experience in Pettine's scheme going back to his days in Baltimore. But more importantly, he's got a defense with some key veterans that have had a year in the system.

GO BILLS!!!

It's a nice thought, but I'm not holding out hope. I think Henderson will go to Cleveland to be the DC there. My sense is Henderson's ties to Pettine run deeper than his ties to Marrone.

It's difficult to put into words how upsetting this is.

IMHO, Pettine is one of our team's best assets and one of the reasons I was looking forward to next season. I don't have much faith in Marrone, who didn't show much this year. I know that it's early, and he hasn't had enough time for me to pass judgment, but I still can't shake my doubt. Marrone has only won with Syracuse in what was essentially a minor league college football division. Had he coached Syracuse this year, he would have had a losing record, and he got out while the getting was good.

It will never happen and can't happen for a number of reasons, but I'd rather we make Pettine head coach than lose him to Cleveland. Again, that's impossible, but it's just how I feel. This really is just our luck.

Meanwhile, Tampa hires the guy we should have hired all along. Depressing...

It's a nice thought, but I'm not holding out hope. I think Henderson will go to Cleveland to be the DC there. My sense is Henderson's ties to Pettine run deeper than his ties to Marrone.

I agree, I don't see a situation where Henderson stays if Pettine leaves. It's been a long time since I was concerned about one of our coaches leaving.

It's difficult to put into words how upsetting this is.

IMHO, Pettine is one of our team's best assets and one of the reasons I was looking forward to next season. I don't have much faith in Marrone, who didn't show much this year. I know that it's early, and he hasn't had enough time for me to pass judgment, but I still can't shake my doubt. Marrone has only won with Syracuse in what was essentially a minor league college football division. Had he coached Syracuse this year, he would have had a losing record, and he got out while the getting was good.

It will never happen and can't happen for a number of reasons, but I'd rather we make Pettine head coach than lose him to Cleveland. Again, that's impossible, but it's just how I feel. This really is just our luck.

Meanwhile, Tampa hires the guy we should have hired all along. Depressing...

So let me get this straight, you're saying that if Marrone had stayed at Syracuse, Syracuse would have been worse off with him as HC? Syracuse was 7-6.

I don't know. Marrone gave Henderson a job at Syracuse so maybe that's worth something.

GO BILLS!!!

The top 3 threads on this board today focus on:

A super bowl bound CB from another team being a thug

Another team possibly getting a coordinator from our team and bashing said other team and town

And celebrating a former Bills player now out of the playoffs after having competed in the championship game.

Just more of the same being a bills fan I guess.

the Buffalo Bills have above average talent on defense.

Pettine's done a good job with them, and he'll do even better next year, if he's here.

if he leaves, we must hire another coach who'll continue what he started. he should have solid experience game-planning for NFL offenses. like Pettine, protege DCs to defensive minded HCs with a couple years under their belt, are usually willing to make lateral moves to be 'the man'. for continuity's sake, we should be looking at the defensive branch of the Jack Pardee coaching tree - which began with Buddy Ryan, and has produced many excellent DCs - including Fisher, Williams, and the Ryan twins. this bunch is producing the next generation of coaches - including Pettine - who use multiple looks and attack gaps in an attempt to dictate where the O goes with the ball.

ps - although it still has it's place as an 'up 2 scores' D, please - no base/Tampa2 coaches need apply. not with how the NFL passing game, and how it's officiated, have evolved over the last few seasons.

I'm with you on everything, but comments on Manziel -- he is a Top 10 prospect --- full disclosure: I am a Baylor/TCU fan, not Aggie --- but Manziel is a legit NFL franchise QB prospect and Top 10 on almost EVERY board or mock ---

Because he's on every board or mock doesn't mean he's a top 10 talent. It means that people think that someone will choose him high. I agree that someone will, but I have strong doubts about his abilities.

So let me get this straight, you're saying that if Marrone had stayed at Syracuse, Syracuse would have been worse off with him as HC? Syracuse was 7-6.

Mea culpa, Kiko. Right you are. Didn't realize Syracuse went .500 in division this season. I still don't think he would have had the same aura (of the hot shot college coach) this year. Just seems like the Bills bought high on him.

Edited by fallen627

The top 3 threads on this board today focus on:

A super bowl bound CB from another team being a thug

Another team possibly getting a coordinator from our team and bashing said other team and town

And celebrating a former Bills player now out of the playoffs after having competed in the championship game.

Just more of the same being a bills fan I guess.

I'd rather talk about the Bills in the post season. But alas, I don't really remember what it feels like anymore.

Mea culpa, Kiko. Right you are. Didn't realize Syracuse went .500 in division this season. I still don't think he would have had the same aura (of the hot shot college coach) this year. Just seems like the Bills bought high on him.

Fair enough. Though his best record there was only 8-5 (in 2010 & 2012), I see what you're saying. I think the fact that he got so much out of so little (WRT talent) is what got him the job. That perception could have changed had he not improved.

Because he's on every board or mock doesn't mean he's a top 10 talent. It means that people think that someone will choose him high. I agree that someone will, but I have strong doubts about his abilities.

I have my doubts as well and want no part of him or his off-field issues that I'm sure will only get worse when he has millions in his pockets --- I'm just saying the current thinking amongst the draft pundits is that he is a top 10 prospect and most likely will get drafted in top 5 -- he will not be considered a "reach" for a team to take #1 overall, whether that's the Texans or a trade up partner ---