Colin Brown to be released

Bangarang

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously. People are upset I question the move? We didn't address LG in the off season. We did not do anything in regard to LG until this? He knows the playbook and he has played some. Chemistry on the OL is hard to explain.

Marrone, as a former offensive lineman and offensive line coach, was asked about the value of chemistry on the OL early in the season. He basically said that he thinks it's overrated. He believes that you put the 5 best players out there and it's his job as the coach (or maybe specifically the OL coach) to get them to play well together.

I remember Nix on the John Murphy show awhile back, explaining why they let Levitre and Reinhart leave... something to the effect that they had several "good" players that will step up. This was before Legursky was even signed.

Not a specific dig on Nix, just funny I guess.

“Not at all. Not at all,” said Nix, according to the Bills website. ”I know people have said we’re taking one of those top two guards. Our roster in house is better than I think we get credit for especially offensive line. We’re pretty deep there. We’ve got six guards and we think a couple of them can play.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/57578/bills-gm-buddy-nix-guard-not-a-need

People actually believed him too.

The point is that Brown doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Legursky is the starter, and they picked up a backup guard last week. Bye-bye Colin.

Depth chart lists Mark Asper as Legursky's backup.

Let's review (from Wiki):

Professional career

Projected as a seventh round selection by Sports Illustrated, Asper was ranked as the No. 18 offensive tackle available in the 2012 NFL Draft.[1] SI noted his "limited upside in the NFL" and labeled him "as an inexpensive utility lineman".[2]

He was cut by the Bills on August 31, 2012, and subsequently claimed off waivers by the Minnesota Vikings on September 1, 2012.[3]

Asper was claimed off waivers from the Vikings by the Jacksonville Jaguars on December 24, 2012. He was released by the Jaguars on August 25, 2013.

On September 1st 2013 he was signed to the practice squad of the Buffalo Bills.

I can't believe how many people are praising Marrone/Whaley for cutting Colin Brown. Releasing a truly terrible player, the worst offensive linemen in the league no less, shouldn't be praiseworthy. That's something that any team would do. What we all should be doing is condemning the fact that they chose to enter this season with Colin Brown as our team's starting left guard.

When you're in a total rebuild situation, you have to do it. ;)

I can't believe how many people are praising Marrone/Whaley for cutting Colin Brown. Releasing a truly terrible player, the worst offensive linemen in the league no less, shouldn't be praiseworthy. That's something that any team would do. What we all should be doing is condemning the fact that they chose to enter this season with Colin Brown as our team's starting left guard.

What you forget is that, after a dozen years, when we ask "What are they going to do about X?" we're conditioned to expect a response along the lines of "I have to look at the tape" or "He had a good practice Friday, it just didn't translate to game time."

This may not be a breath of fresh air...but it's at least a breath of mildly bovine air after a dozen years of inhaling eau de skunk.

What you forget is that, after a dozen years, when we ask "What are they going to do about X?" we're conditioned to expect a response along the lines of "I have to look at the tape" or "He had a good practice Friday, it just didn't translate to game time."

This may not be a breath of fresh air...but it's at least a breath of mildly bovine air after a dozen years of inhaling eau de skunk.

it is that.

Colin Brown was garbage. He and Sam Young were turnstiles. Good riddance. I'm shocked anyone would be against this move.

I think the logic for those concerned with the cut is.....

If Legursky gets injured, who fills in for him.....and why wasn't that player starting instead of Brown two weeks ago?

Blatnik done. Hmmm, I guess?

Which end is the air coming from. It can smell worse from the front.

Marrone, as a former offensive lineman and offensive line coach, was asked about the value of chemistry on the OL early in the season. He basically said that he thinks it's overrated. He believes that you put the 5 best players out there and it's his job as the coach (or maybe specifically the OL coach) to get them to play well together.

thanks. I'll have to think on that. Wait. Maybe not. He played OL at a higher level then I did. Thought done.

Gotta give the Bills credit here. They could never have known that letting Levitre go would mean Brown would stink so bad. But, in their infinite wisdom, they signed someone the Steelers didn't want to make sure they were set at LG.

Well, if you can't anticipate problems, work like heck after they're obvious to show you're trying. ;) They're rebuilding anyway.

“Not at all. Not at all,” said Nix, according to the Bills website. ”I know people have said we’re taking one of those top two guards. Our roster in house is better than I think we get credit for especially offensive line. We’re pretty deep there. We’ve got six guards and we think a couple of them can play.”

http://espn.go.com/b...uard-not-a-need

People actually believed him too.

I'm guessing there will be a lot of Monday Morning QBing of Buddy's comments now that the majority of the roster he assembled is being blown up.

I'm guessing there will be a lot of Monday Morning QBing of Buddy's comments now that the majority of the roster he assembled is being blown up.

Holy hyperbole Batman! The man said they thought they had two starting guards on the roster. They were wrong, they only had one.

The point is that Brown doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Legursky is the starter, and they picked up a backup guard last week. Bye-bye Colin.

If he doesn't belong on an NFL roster then what the hell was he doing starting games? How do you go from starting to cut? If he was that bad (which he was) he had no business ever being on the field and the Bills should have found his replacement a month ago and he should have been riding the pine until Legursky got healthy.

Everyone complaining how awful he is and now bitching because he was cut? I don't understand. There are not a lot of OL out there. Bills liked Legursky and most likely would have started if he didn't get hurt. I think this is a good thing.

Holy hyperbole Batman! The man said they thought they had two starting guards on the roster. They were wrong, they only had one.

Except that out of six guards, turns out only one could play. I believe the roster turnover from season end 2012 is about 50%. Draw your own conclusion.

Letting incognito walk was stupid. He was good and cheap. Same with Marcus price, if you remember him--solid backup swing tackle.

This team has a history of extraordinarily poor talent evals when it comes to oline.

There was a big reason the Bills chose let Incognito leave, as his was still a head case at that time.

I watched him talk about his transitions from team to team and he admitted he still had mental problems in Buffalo. He even stated that It wasn't until after he left the Bills that he realized he needed to lose that enormous chip on his shoulder, and stopped trying for the achievement of being the dirtiest player in the NFL.

But yeah, if he had gotten his head straight while in Buffalo he would have been a very good addition to that line.

Colin Brown was garbage. He and Sam Young were turnstiles. Good riddance. I'm shocked anyone would be against this move.

I'm more shocked that Nix thought those two were decent players. Oh wait!! Isn't that the same moron GM who brought in FA-RT Cornell Green at 2 mill per in 2010 only to see him benched & cut by week 5

What is disconcerting is the fact that Marrone went into the season with those two turds, and didn't have them replaced in pre season. But then again the bean counters might be the bigger reason.

There was a big reason the Bills chose let Incognito leave, as his was still a head case at that time.

I watched him talk about his transitions from team to team and he admitted he still had mental problems in Buffalo. He even stated that It wasn't until after he left the Bills that he realized he needed to lose that enormous chip on his shoulder, and stopped trying for the achievement of being the dirtiest player in the NFL.

But yeah, if he had gotten his head straight while in Buffalo he would have been a very good addition to that line.

I find it hard to believe that that was the reason we didn't re-sign him. I also recall zero incidents of dirty play by him during his season with us.

also, didn't he get into a huge fight this year with a defensive player claiming he was dirty? I note this because it wouldn't appear that his "mental" issues have gone away completely.

In any event, in hindsight, wouldn't you have re-signed him?

I applaud and love the message Marrone is sending. If you want to be here you better be working hard and improving weekly. Nobody is safe from the surgeons scalpel.

I think this is the point - it's not even that he started bad, it's that he started bad and regressed. Just like Powell. I like the tone that's being set by this - good coaches hold the players accountable when they don't improve while others around them are. The line as a whole is playing pretty well, and definitely seemed to be better with Legursky in. Dump Brown and get someone who at least has the chance to improve to back up Legursky.

The plan is going exactly as scripted? B-)

I think the plan is finally put in place.

I have a more positive feeling about the front office now than I have in the last six years. I was overly optimistic about Levy's initial return and will gladly eat crow about it. Never liked the Nix hire as GM, and the results are self-evident.

I find it hard to believe that that was the reason we didn't re-sign him. I also recall zero incidents of dirty play by him during his season with us.

also, didn't he get into a huge fight this year with a defensive player claiming he was dirty? I note this because it wouldn't appear that his "mental" issues have gone away completely.

In any event, in hindsight, wouldn't you have re-signed him?

Incognito was a free agent and chose not to sign with the Bills. What is not known is if the Bills wanted him back or not.

I think the plan is finally put in place.

I have a more positive feeling about the front office now than I have in the last six years. I was overly optimistic about Levy's initial return and will gladly eat crow about it. Never liked the Nix hire as GM, and the results are self-evident.

It's too early to say in my opinion. I see some things that stink of "business as usual" and some good signs as well. Every change since the Donahoe era has been put up as a new guiding light though none have turned out as that.

With respect to Colin Brown, while cutting him is certainly no big loss, it reminds me of the Trent Edwards situation and Gailey cutting the string after a few games. Let's face it: Brown sucked last year in his few spots. So, yes, it is concerning that the real football people with the Bills continue to seem to be blind about self-evaluation and the organization be reluctant to spend their cap money to win now instead of promising rainbows and leprechauns a few years away. It is good to be able to admit mistakes and turn the page, no question. Still, building your team in October is definitely NOT a plan for success. And, while many Bills fans are highly tolerant of the "it's going to take time" mantra, it's not hard to find other teams that turn things around very quickly. The Bills are the statistical outlier of losing in the NFL.

I'm more shocked that Nix thought those two were decent players. Oh wait!! Isn't that the same moron GM who brought in FA-RT Cornell Green at 2 mill per in 2010 only to see him benched & cut by week 5

What is disconcerting is the fact that Marrone went into the season with those two turds, and didn't have them replaced in pre season. But then again the bean counters might be the bigger reason.

Wow really going back to 2010 to criticize a guy huh? Thats either dedication or just pure hate

Except that out of six guards, turns out only one could play. I believe the roster turnover from season end 2012 is about 50%. Draw your own conclusion.

Well it's not 50%, and the conclusion is obvious - they brought in an entirely new coaching staff. Despite what many think, a GM does not build a roster in a vacuum. Of course, Nix is still ultimately responsible for the current product on the field, so talking about turnover under him doesn't really mean jack with a regime change.

Are the quotes from Nix regarding how many guards we have that were capable of playing from before or after we lost Rinehart?

I know that he and Levitre were both free agents but had he signed with the Chargers? I hated to see him go and it definitely made me feel worse about LG going into this year.

Edit for spelling

Edited by Nikademus

Why? What's the point? What is our better option? This is a stupid move.

The better option has already taken his place. Legursky is 100 times better and them calling up Asper is also an improvement. Brown was beyond awful and does not deserve a roster spot.

This coaching staff is direct and to the point. If u do not perform, we dont need u...

I know it feels like Bills fans say this EVERY year, but i REALLY can not wait till yr 2 of this regime. Once EJ has full offseason of being an NFL QB. Hopefully we gets 3-4 starts at end of yr. The D is a totally different D without very many "new faces". By adding Kiko, we fixed the biggest need on this D for last decade. An every down LB that is a total beast.

This is best draft class we have had in long time and I think they didnt spend big in FA cuz they knew it was gonna take at least a yr and this offseason may be very different. Hopefully we can have another strong draft and make 2-3 good FA pickups and this will be a playoff team next yr.

It is too bad that after Levitre left the Bills didn't have any other options, like say a veteran back-up on their own team who was more than adequate and probably better than any other alternative they were thinking about at the position that they could sign to a very reasonable deal before letting him go out the door for peanuts.

The next front office firing will be some underling standing next to the GM and President who blurts out, "Hey, ya know what we should have done..."

Edited by dollars 2 donuts