Colin Brown to be released

Bangarang

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn you Marrone!!!

I was looking forward to Brown shattering the record for all time worst grade in a season by PFF...woukd have been an untouchable record....oh well, lol

I think he already has.... in only 6 games

You seriously don't think they thought that through?

Was it my lead in saying "I know I don't have the whole story" that made you think that?

There is an argument to be made for "making an example" of non-performers, but more likely, they saw something from McClain and validated Legursky also looked better than Brown. I forgot they brought on McClain, which is most of what I was missing. I think watching him for a week in practice is still a flimsy basis for releasing Brown.

The Bills promoted OL Mark Asper to the Active Roster and released OL Colin Brown in a flurry of roster moves on Tuesday

http://www.buffalobills.com/

Ouch Thomas Welch is the swing tackle right now.....scary times folks......Anyone have any info on Chris Hairston's status? I'm guessing the hip could be career threatening if it is still giving him trouble..... :(

Hairston was placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Illness list before the season and was done for the year at that time.

Brown was over his head and Marrone (former NFL O Lineman) should have seen that early. The Bills should have been gleaning the street free agent and veteran unsigned free agent lists for a replacement. I will not be surprised that the bring in a sign another guard.

Jesus. Marrone don't play.

That's exactly what I was thinking...The message is pretty clear... B-)

Mark Asper promoted from PS

He took the long route through Minnesota and J-Ville to get there...But congrats to Asper for finally making that Draft pick pay off... :lol:

My first thought was the Langston Walker situation, when they needlessly expelled depth because they didn't want to overpay for a veteran who wasn't going to start.

But then I realized it's Colin freakin' Brown we're talking about. He's the definition of a replacement-level player. You could sign a guy off of the street who would be no worse than him. And it sounds like they have, and his name is Mark Asper (ironically enough, a guy they drafted and cut before the season a few years back).

I'm shocked people are calling it a mistake for releasing him after most of the people here have been ripping on how horrible he's been in every game he's played.

Same people that were saying it was a bad move to make Rogers inactive and play Gilmore with a cast. Apparently, coaches thought Gilmore with one hand>Rogers with two hands when it comes to coverage

Releasing Brown had to happen. When your backup is the worst Guard in the league, then you have no backup. Why not try someone else for depth, if they end up being the worst in the league, then its a lateral move at least. If they end up being the second worst, its an upgrade.

Seriously. People are upset I question the move? We didn't address LG in the off season. We did not do anything in regard to LG until this? He knows the playbook and he has played some. Chemistry on the OL is hard to explain.

Seriously. People are upset I question the move? We didn't address LG in the off season. We did not do anything in regard to LG until this? He knows the playbook and he has played some. Chemistry on the OL is hard to explain.

You're completely avoiding the fact that he is AWFUL. Literally ANY street free agent is better than him. Legursky proved to be much better than him and they have McClain and Asper now up. Both those are better options than Colin "I suck at football" Brown.

Seriously, this is the definition of "no-brainer".

You're completely avoiding the fact that he is AWFUL. Literally ANY street free agent is better than him. Legursky proved to be much better than him and they have McClain and Asper now up. Both those are better options than Colin "I suck at football" Brown.

Seriously, this is the definition of "no-brainer".

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

It's refreshing to see non-performers held accountable.

Darcy Regier would have given him a contract extension.

This... Marrone gives guys a shot but understands once you make a decision a guy is not good enough you move on. I see him only keeping guys around that are either worthy starters or that he can develop into worthy starters. He really seems to have no interest in retaining career "depth" players or guys that plateau as second rate.... I embrace the approach.

I love how this staff isn't afraid to dump crappy players when they continue to suck week after week (first Shaun Powell and now Colin Brown). There are literally hundreds of free agents sitting at home. You might as well give someone a chance. It's unlikely anyone could play worse than Brown was through 6 games. He doesn't need to be on our roster. Period.

Not every street free agent is worthless. Brian Moorman was unemployed. In one game, he proved that he's a much better option than Powell.

For way too long, the Bills have been content to keep mediocre talents in starting positions and terrible players sitting on the bench. Once a guy proves he doesn't have what it takes, cut them. A real front office should be doing everything in their power to roster the best 52 players possible.

I have a feeling that Justin Rogers isn't far behind once we get some players like Stephon Gilmore and Ron Brooks healthy.

I can't believe how many people are praising Marrone/Whaley for cutting Colin Brown. Releasing a truly terrible player, the worst offensive linemen in the league no less, shouldn't be praiseworthy. That's something that any team would do. What we all should be doing is condemning the fact that they chose to enter this season with Colin Brown as our team's starting left guard.

Releasing Brown had to happen. When your backup is the worst Guard in the league, then you have no backup. Why not try someone else for depth, if they end up being the worst in the league, then its a lateral move at least. If they end up being the second worst, its an upgrade.

They could even end up being the worst in the league and still be an upgrade!!!

I can't believe how many people are praising Marrone/Whaley for cutting Colin Brown. Releasing a truly terrible player, the worst offensive linemen in the league no less, shouldn't be praiseworthy. That's something that any team would do. What we all should be doing is condemning the fact that they chose to enter this season with Colin Brown as our team's starting left guard.

I find it fine. They brought in an upgrade who then got hurt and weren't able to transition to better right away. Maybe brown showed something that made them give him a chance... Maybe his area of weakness is tough to assess in practice and camp...

Hindsight is 20/20, and people who do and strive to accomplish always subject themselves to the risk of being criticized by the watchers and those who do not.

I saw both Sam young and Colin brown play in the preseason 2, maybe 3 years ago. I remember telling my wife how they (and snow) were horrendous and just camp fodder.

I am concerned that real football guys in our FO took 3 years to figure that out.

I agree, I saw Snow for two snaps and just scratched my head. We have made many troubling moves and many troubling non-moves. One of maybe 3 signings I would have liked this team to have made was Ritchie Incognito, it would have changed everything. He and Levitre starting with Urbik a backup. Levitre goes and we're cool because we brought Urbik up.

I agree, I saw Snow for two snaps and just scratched my head. We have made many troubling moves and many troubling non-moves. One of maybe 3 signings I would have liked this team to have made was Ritchie Incognito, it would have changed everything. He and Levitre starting with Urbik a backup. Levitre goes and we're cool because we brought Urbik up.

Letting incognito walk was stupid. He was good and cheap. Same with Marcus price, if you remember him--solid backup swing tackle.

This team has a history of extraordinarily poor talent evals when it comes to oline.

How is this a stupid move? If Legursky didn't get hurt Brown would never have started. and Legursky is the better option, obviously.

If ifs and buts whatever that saying is...

Yes, if Legursky did not get hurt we would still have a journeyman mid grade at best OG. With all due respect to the beneathly quoted, Legursky did not give me the highest of hopes. It goes back years and it has been a trend.

Letting incognito walk was stupid. He was good and cheap. Same with Marcus price, if you remember him--solid backup swing tackle.

This team has a history of extraordinarily poor talent evals when it comes to oline.

Yet, when we play we get the most out of them. It is confounding. It makes me more frustrated. We must think that we can pick up players from garbage and put them as a starter.