Buffalo News reporting Byrd wants traded by Oct. 29 deadline

YoloinOhio

I really think any speculation Byrd has a "bad attitude" is complete hooey. Yes, he's disappointed the contract situation didn't work out differently, and perhaps he did give Parker the go ahead to inquire about trades, but while he's in Buffalo he's going to do his best -- I have no doubt.

If this is ever confirmed true, I will gladly eat crow. I don't like disliking this guy ... but right now, it's hard for me not to.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, Marrone commented publicly on Byrd today after practice -- said as far as he's concerned Byrd has been a true pro, trying to get himself in condition to get back on the field. Says he's been incredibly helpful with the other DBs as well. Mario made similar comments.

I really think any speculation Byrd has a "bad attitude" is complete hooey. Yes, he's disappointed the contract situation didn't work out differently, and perhaps he did give Parker the go ahead to inquire about trades, but while he's in Buffalo he's going to do his best -- I have no doubt.

To your point, listen to what Marrone had to say about Byrd at about 10:30 into the Wednesday Presser: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Doug-Marrone-Wednesday-Press-Conference/5da2c36b-9ec4-420a-bef1-670fd7aa9393

As for Jason Peters, he was/is the real deal. We effed up by not OVERPAYING HIM. Read that carefully.

We missed a chance to pay $11M/yr for somone who spent half his tenure with the Eagles on IR and re-injured himself because his Rascal scooter collapsed under his weight.

PTR

I hope they don't trade him. I hope he grows moss on his azz as he rides the pine for entire year.

If he doesn't want to contribute to the team's success, then why should the team contribute to his success?

!@#$ you Byrd and double-!@#$ you Parker.

+ 1 seriously

Man up Byrd.

FWIW, Marrone commented publicly on Byrd today after practice -- said as far as he's concerned Byrd has been a true pro, trying to get himself in condition to get back on the field. Says he's been incredibly helpful with the other DBs as well. Mario made similar comments.

Hey, take a snapshot. We agree on something.

We missed a chance to pay $11M/yr for somone who spent half his tenure with the Eagles on IR and re-injured himself because his Rascal scooter collapsed under his weight.

PTR

When healthy he is a top 5 left tacke. I remember the lanes and holes he would create for lynch. Wow. It was fun to watch.

There is a knock on him for being injury prone. But I would have still paid THAT man.

We cant let our talent walk out the door Ptr.

This guys amazes me. Holds out from camp, then signs the 1 year tag. Comes down with Plantar Fascitis and now wants a trade. We all know he doesnt want to be here the question really is...is it time that the Bills dont want him as well and try to get something in return? Hes a top 5 safety in the league but if your mind has already checked out chances are he wont be too effective. In the next few weeks a safety or 2 in the league is bound to get hurt. Hopefully a second round pick can come of it. And yes i know we have talked about Byrd, i searched and found nothing about the latest news thats out.

It figures that the only player I thought was worth buying his jersey the past couple of years, doesn't want anything to do with the team. I'd like to think its just his agent trying to mess with Buffalo again. But even if he wants out, we spent 8 mil on him this year to dick around and play lame. Franchise tag him again next year on principle. THEN trade him.

Give me a first and sec rounder and call it a day. Revis this guy already!

He's not that good. Imo he's a little overrated. Our defense safety net has not been fantastic since he's been here. And he scares no one.

If we can get a first, that's splendid. I dont think that will happen. Knowing the bills, we'll get a 3rd and call it a day.

When healthy he is a top 5 left tacke. I remember the lanes and holes he would create for lynch. Wow. It was fun to watch.

There is a knock on him for being injury prone. But I would have still paid THAT man.

We cant let our talent walk out the door Ptr.

Peters basically took the same deal the Bills put on the table when we traded him to the Eagles.

Seriously what else could Buffalo do, and if you send a precedent that we will over pay you to stay here then all players will start expecting to be overpaid to be a Bill. Peters just did not want to be here, and you never over pay for a malcontent.. that is idiocy.. I agree with the Peters trade then and still do now.

You don't want players like Peters and Byrd to walk, but they have to want to be here and shouldn't ever have to demand to be the highest paid just to stay

Edited by shibuya

Just saw Ian Rapoport on NFLW saying that he spoke with Byrd's "camp" and what they told him is that "they are OPEN to a trade." In other words, no change from a week ago. BTW if this is the truth of the situation, then there's a reporter for The News got some 'splainin' to do.

Peters basically took the same deal the Bills put on the table when we traded him to the Eagles.

Seriously what else could Buffalo do, and if you send a precedent that we will over pay you to stay here then all players will start expecting to be overpaid to be a Bill. Peters just did not want to be here, and you never over pay for a malcontent.. that is idiocy.. I agree with the Peters trade then and still do now.

You don't want players like Peters and Byrd to walk, but they have to want to be here and shouldn't ever have to demand to be the highest paid just to stay

The "want to be here phenomena" is bananas.

Lots of players dont play for the team of their choice. It's a business.

The only precedent that is happening now is we suck for 13 years. Something has to change.

Oh and not all players can demand to be overpaid. If their skill is not there, it wouldnt happen. It's like Choice wanting to get paid top rb money, it's not happening.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

Rapoport on NFL Network just said Byrd is "open" to a trade but is not pushing for one. Also it was stated that Byrd's injury plus another team's inability now to negotiate a long term contract make a trade tough to pull off this season.

In other words, "Thanks, Buffalo News, for stirring up some more irrelevant schitt!"

Give me a first and sec rounder and call it a day. Revis this guy already!

Dude, nobody is giving you a first and second for a safety. It's just not happening. This isn't Madden, this is real life. We would be lucky to get a second considering he has a degenerative condition and noone knows or can predict how effective treatment will be and how bad it will ultimately get.

Edited by matter2003

so in other words...I don't "want" a trade...i'm just "open" to it......not much difference.

That's what I've been trying to say.

I should have been more clear. I was stating that the implication was there.... Bla bla bla. Of course it's not the same thing. But it's almost the same thing. If you're open to it and the right option comes along, then most likely one would want that better option. Duh!!!!!

Byrd should sue Parker for MALPRACTICE...

known lingering injury Plantar Faciitis from the end of last season to today....check.

known degenerative hip condition discovered during X-rays at the combine and ended up missing the end of his rookie season to have surgery for a labral tear....check

turned down security of a long term deal with over $20 million GUARANTEED money......check

known lingering injury Plantar Faciitis from the end of last season to today....check.

known degenerative hip condition discovered during X-rays at the combine and ended up missing the end of his rookie season to have surgery for a labral tear....check

turned down security of a long term deal with over $20 million GUARANTEED money......check

do we know he was offered a deal worth over 20m guaranteed? or is it possible the bills went hard ball saying all those things plus that they have the tag for a couple years?

Edited by NoSaint

You gotta be making stuff up. If Byrd was offered 20m guaranteed and turned it down, he's beyond crazy. That's a million more than Weddle and 2m more than Goldson get in guaranteed money. Yes, it's 5m less than Eric Berry got in guarantees but then maybe Byrd should have managed to be a top 5 draft choice before the rookie wage scale was implemented.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I'm impressed with your level headed objective comment on the way the situation stands, from the both coaches and players perspective. There's a lot of BS in this thread by some who are clueless how a locker room or team operates. Byrd is a professional for the one's that are naive enough to believe he's "faking" injuries, a "cancer" clearly those have never negotiated an employment contract. Or are happy with whatever bossman pays you in whatever career you've chosen.

As for Jason Peters, he was/is the real deal. We effed up by not OVERPAYING HIM. Read that carefully.

Apparently the team is never wrong, especially when it involves players who won't toe the line. Few here ever place value on a player outside of their pay. Had the Bills signed Peters, they would have had a top LT as indicated by his multiple All-Pro selections, a much better OL overall, and would not have had to draft and OT in the 2nd of 2012.

Either trade him for a 1st rounder or IR him and screw his career. Franchise him again and IR him next year. It would be a terrible move, but at this point I can't stand him.

That's great strategy there. It succeeds in 1) reminding up and comers how the team deals with you if your agent drives a hard bargain 2) ensures free agents pass on you and no Mario contract can undo that and 3) sends a message the team is not in it to win it any more.

Franchising him for 1 year is not a plan. The Bills did the same thing with Clements and never adequately replaced him, despite multiple high picks used on CB's. I would be more open to going this route if I thought guys like Searcy were better than they are. Or 4th and 5th rounders like Duke Williams and Meeks were capable. But we don't know that and neither do the Bills. So once again they'll jettison proven talent that would require financial commitment in hopes unproven types will replace them. Very unlikely given their track record.

I'm impressed with your level headed objective comment on the way the situation stands, from the both coaches and players perspective. There's a lot of BS in this thread by some who are clueless how a locker room or team operates. Byrd is a professional for the one's that are naive enough to believe he's "faking" injuries, a "cancer" clearly those have never negotiated an employment contract. Or are happy with whatever bossman pays you in whatever career you've chosen.

Bills fans will turn on a player at the drop of a hat. We're one notch above NYC fans with the added bonus of carrying a massive inferiority complex.

“From what I understand someone is saying sources, I mean I would like to know what sources they’re talking about before they just say sources,” Byrd said. “My focus is really just on football right now honestly. My teammates they mean the world to me. I don’t want to be any distraction to them like we have a big game coming up and we need to be 100 percent focused on New England and that’s that.”

Yeah what a douche :rolleyes:

From the desk of Doug Whaley:

"Although Jairus and his representation have expressed interest to the Buffalo Bills organiztion regarding their wishes for a trade, I would like to take this opportunity to inform both them, and those of you following this situation, that no such trade is forth coming. In today's National Football League, the difference between winning and losing seasons can come down to a handful of plays over the course of the season. It is of the utmost importance to field the most talented team possible, every year. As such, we fully intend to have Jairus Byrd on our roster for this season, and next--whether that involves the use of the franchise tag or not is entirely up to him. Should he feel that it is in his best interest to pursue a new career path following the completion of the 2014 NFL season, the Buffalo Bills will, at that time, wish him the best on his football journey. Until then, please consider this matter closed between the Buffalo Bills organization, any representation of said client, and any interested national or local media parties. Thank you, go Bills!"

Thats how easy it is to be an NFL gm. Let's see if doug can just copy and paste this on to some Bills letter head.

Jairus Byrd focused on healing, not trade reports: http://www.buffalobi...e1-1d2e758ae534

Trade talks are Parker's job. Football is Byrd's.

Turbosrrgood found this link:

http://csnphilly.nbcsports.acquia-ps.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/why-eagles-likely-wont-trade-jairus-byrd

Finally, let’s remember the significant role of economics in any personnel acquisition. Byrd is playing under the one-year franchise tag worth $6.9 million. Like with Peters, the Eagles would love to rip up Byrd’s contract and sign him to a cap-friendly deal with a mind-blowing signing bonus tempered by affordable annual base salaries as part of the trade process.

In this case, the franchise tag can’t be ripped up and the Eagles would have to wait until next season to start contract talks. There’s no guarantee that Byrd and the team will have harmony at the negotiation table. Byrd would have great leverage, knowing the Eagles gave up a second-rounder to acquire him. That’s probably not a comfortable scenario for the Eagles’ front office.

Or any front office.

PTR

Apparently the team is never wrong, especially when it involves players who won't toe the line. Few here ever place value on a player outside of their pay. Had the Bills signed Peters, they would have had a top LT as indicated by his multiple All-Pro selections, a much better OL overall, and would not have had to draft and OT in the 2nd of 2012.

That's great strategy there. It succeeds in 1) reminding up and comers how the team deals with you if your agent drives a hard bargain 2) ensures free agents pass on you and no Mario contract can undo that and 3) sends a message the team is not in it to win it any more.

Franchising him for 1 year is not a plan. The Bills did the same thing with Clements and never adequately replaced him, despite multiple high picks used on CB's. I would be more open to going this route if I thought guys like Searcy were better than they are. Or 4th and 5th rounders like Duke Williams and Meeks were capable. But we don't know that and neither do the Bills. So once again they'll jettison proven talent that would require financial commitment in hopes unproven types will replace them. Very unlikely given their track record.

So you think free agents will place emphasis on the Byrd situation, but not on the extensions signed by Freddie, SJ, Pears, Urbik, Wood, Kyle Williams, Chandler, and others?

I hope they don't trade him. I hope he grows moss on his azz as he rides the pine for entire year.

If he doesn't want to contribute to the team's success, then why should the team contribute to his success?

!@#$ you Byrd and double-!@#$ you Parker.

I am sure he would like nothing better than to ride the pine. That way he wouldn't have to worry about an injury damaging his market value next year when the Bills would have to either pay him what he wants, trade him to a team that will or tag him again and pay him 20% more than the 6.9 he made this year, as you would have it, riding on the pine. That's a win-win-win situation for Byrd and a lose-lose-lose situation for Buffalo.